: january 20th.

a year of us

possibly, maybe.

•••

baekhyun had planned this sunday for ages. well, he'd wracked his brain for ideas for hours, imagining how it would go, theoretically, before falling asleep, slightly unrestful.

he woke up early; it was 7:44, and as the young man quickly showered, brushed his teeth and got dressed into a comfortable outfit of black jeans and his favourite sweater. it was big and beige and beautiful.

feeling surprisingly confident, he picked up his phone and readied himself, reciting the speech he had nobly prepared at 3AM. baekhyun watched as his phone read dialling, and as nerves suddenly enveloped him, he considered just hanging up.

unfortunately, baekhyun didn't get the chance to, because after only two rings, a deep, sleepy voice graced his ears.

a smile cracked through his poker face façade, like a slither of sunlight through clouds.

"hey," chanyeol murmured into the phone, his voice deep and husky and delicious.

"hah!" baekhyun burst out, extremely awkwardly, trying to distract himself from the melted chocolate i-just-woke-up voice across the phone. "um, chanyeol..ha ha,"

"get to the point, baked bun," chanyeol mused.

"um, well, i was wondering if you're free today? because, uh, there's this new coffee shop and um-"

"yeah!" chanyeol's mood seemed to change in an instant. "what time do you wanna go?"

baekhyun idly fiddled with the hem of his sweater, relieved that chanyeol took to the idea. "now?" baekhyun suggested, slightly regretting it afterwards, since chanyeol has obviously just woken up and was probably in no shape to go to a coffee shop at eight in the morning.

"you bet, baked bun," baekhyun could hear chanyeol moving on the other end of the line. "where d'you wanna meet? or i'll come to yours? i think i remember where it was..."

"ah, um, you-" baekhyun began, but was cut off abruptly.

"i'm coming to yours. i know where it is," chanyeol gushed. "see you in like, two minutes,"

and then he hung up, and baekhyun's face was embarrassingly hot. his lips curled up into a smile at the thought of chanyeol actually remembering where he lived. albeit, it was not a very significant thing to remember, but it warmed baekhyun's heart nonetheless.

"so, baekhyun..." sehun emerged from where he had possibly been lurking for the past ten minutes, causing baekhyun to startle and practically fly across the room in shock.

"what the , sehun, have you been there the whole time?"

baekhyun often questioned his best friends' motives. to be honest, he could be very creepy, had been found snooping in cupboards and recording conversations, and was a borderline stalker, in the most innocent way possible. 

"i see you bagged a date with mr 'i think we're like, soulmates', eh?" sehun wiggled his eyebrows suggestively, reciting what baekhyun had told him and kyungsoo at an hour way too late when baekhyun couldn't keep his secrets secret.

"leave me alone, head," baekhyun crossed his arms, turning away.

"hey, you told us all of that, so you cannot, i say, CANNOT, deny anything," baekhyun was about to retort as somebody knocked on the door in a melodic fashion.

and that somebody was most definitely park chanyeol.

and park chanyeol may have kind of sort of could've heard their conversation slightly.

baekhyun cracked open the door and peeked his head out to a - yet again - bedheaded chanyeol, and smiled, while subtly trying to kick sehun in the balls behind him.

"hello, there," baekhyun's head said; the rest of his body was hidden behind the door, as was sehun.

"hey," chanyeol said, his voice still husky as it was on the phone, but it sounded so much better in real life. baekhyun properly took in chanyeol's appearance, and his heart twisted. the boys hair was slightly messy, his deep eyes were lidded and a sleepy smirk played on his lips. he was dressed in all black: black jeans, black sweater, black coat - which seemed to be his go to outfit for everything.

"you ready?" chanyeol questioned, although it wasn't really a question, as it basically translated to "let's go,".

"yeah!" baekhyun slipped out of the door, almost shutting sehun and his pointless comments out, but alas, he was too late.

"have fun, son,"

baekhyun decided to play along, as retorting with a snarky comeback would result in sehun saying something that he definitley should not say. baekhyun had learned that the hard way. 

"will do, mum, love you,"

chanyeol laughed, and baekhyun cracked a smile at the sound of it.

"so, where's this cafe, baked bun?"

baekhyun lead the way to the small cafe that sold excellent hot chocolates, from his own judgement. it was tiny, but had a warming, comfortable feel to it. the floors were mahogany, deep brown and red wood that gave a homely feel to the shop. the walls were stripped; they were rough brick, and there were shelves of old books everywhere, employees taking orders for the early birds, and a delectable smell of melted chocolate and cinnamon in the air.

"ahh!" chanyeol exclaimed, eyes reflecting the lights of the shop, making them glitter and shine and making baekhyun's insides lurch "cute!"

the pair pushed the double glazed door at the same time, hands bumping, sending a jolt down baekhyun's spine and his head reeling as he quickly withdrew his hand and subconsciously cradled it as if it had been broken. 

he could feel chanyeol's eyes on him as they walked through the doorway, and did everything in his power to not look back at him.

they sat down opposite each other on a table for two and were handed the breakfast menu from a teenager who looked bored out of her ing mind.

baekhyun smiled warmly at her, and received a blank, dazed look in response. the girl returned to the counter solemnly.

"well, she liked you," chanyeol said, deep voice dripping with sarcasm.

"what can i say? i'm a ladies' man," baekhyun joked, failing to see the minute change in chanyeol's eyes as they fell, and as his easy smile faltered by a fraction. 

there was a brief silence, and although not awkward to baekhyun at first, it grew into an awful case of what-went-wrong?

"i mean," baekhyun began, eyes glued to the crisp new menu. "if i liked girls... like that, um."

his ears were too warm for a winter day, and he let his eyes fall closed for a brief moment before snapping them open when chanyeol uttered,

"don't worry, we're in the same boat,"

"what?" baekhyun searched chanyeol's bright eyes for a moment, for an explanation, but before he could ask, chanyeol answered his unspoken question. 

"i'm gay," he murmured, keeping his voice low as his nebula eyes delved into baekhyun's. 

baekhyun's lips were drawn upwards, into a small smile. he thought as much, if he were honest, but he didn't want to pry too early on, since his mind was bustling with: what if he's not? what if he doesn't like gay people? what if he stops liking me? what if i never speak to him again??????? 

"that's-" baekhyun started, but was very rudely interrupted by the barrista, a man in his early thirties with cropped black hair and an eye smile. 

"hello, can i take your order?" he smiled brightly - almost fakely, baekhyun thought - as he got out his notepad. 

chanyeol was at a slight loss for words at this point; he had just told baekhyun his ual orientation, found out they were both gay and was shyly wondering if baekhyun had a hint of romantic feelings towards him, too. his head was buzzing as he watched the young man opposite him take his order. 

"um, can i have pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream please?" baekhyun decided as he traced his forefinger over the menu. "oh! and a hot chocolate please!" 

the man jotted it down quickly before turning to chanyeol, who may have been staring at baekhyun, imagining the possibilities that they could become, because chanyeol had "a vivid imagination" as his mother used to say. 

"and you, sir?" 

"ah, uh," he sputtered. he hadn't looked at the menu once "i'll have the same.. wait, can i have blueberry pancakes?" 

the man left with their orders and the menu's and told the two that their food would be ready in roughly 10 minutes. 

baekhyun's eyes kept flicking from his palms resting in front of him on the table, to chanyeol, who, baekhyun noticed, was a lot more flustered and less of a smooth talker than usual. 

they spent the morning in that café , trying eachothers pancakes and freaking out over how "ing tasty" (as baekhyun put it) the hot chocolates were. the morning was also spent sneaking glances while the other wasn't looking, staring dreamily into eyes for a split second at a time.

as they made their way back to the apartments, a good five hours later, baekhyun was all warm and nice with the taste of hot chocolate on his tongue and chanyeol in his mind, and was most definitely signed up when chanyeol asked if they could "do this again sometime?" 

life was good.