: march

a year of us

short chapter bc i wanna sleep sorry 

that one rainy night,
you and i were in love.
you worried for me
up until the very end,
you held me in your arms

•••

8am. monday morning. the soft pitter-patter of rain smudged chanyeol's view out of his small, slightly dirty window. today was a dull day. 

chanyeol sat cross-legged, slouched over slightly, staring into the billowing clouds swamping the sky like ugly bruises. he watched as the early birds on the streets below speed-walked to wherever they were heading for the day. 

he sat there for a while, hands loosely interlaced and knees poking out the sides of his single duvet. 

after what seemed like a lifetime of musing, there came the tell-tale musical knock of jongin at his door. 

chanyeol huffed slightly, stretching his too-long legs and planting his feet steadily on the laminated ground. he plodded through his apartment to the door, swinging it open slowly, eyes squinted at the sight of jongin sopping wet, dripping rain onto the tacky complex carpet. 

"can i use your shower?" was the first thing chanyeol heard that morning. strange, but not the strangest thing he'd heard first thing. 

chuckling, chanyeol opened the door wider and watched as his best friend didn't even bother saying anything else, rather just making a bee line to chanyeol's tiny bathroom. 

wiping the sleep out of his eyes, the taller bumbled over to the kitchen as the rumble of the shower could be heard. he had time to cook breakfast today, since classes started at 1. 

chanyeol scooped up four portions of rice - he and jongin were notorious for wolfing food down as soon as it was placed infront of them - and plopped it into the cheap rice cooker that actually belonged to some girl in his music theory class. it was a long story how he got it, so chanyeol never went into it... nor needed to; it was a very trivial story. 

he decided that he couldn't be bothered to make any more food, so left it at rice and some oranges that happened to be in his 'fruit bowl' (at the moment it sported a robust selection of two oranges and an old receipt that ended up there). jongin wouldn't mind.

the thundering of the shower halted and two minutes or so later, a half- jongin ever so gracefully waltzed into the kitchen, plopping himself down at the fancy breakfast bar chanyeol had managed to nab with the studio apartment. 

"what's for breakfast, great chef?" jongin questioned as he picked at a lone grain of rice on the counter. 

"a classic," chanyeol slid the bowl of rice across the counter, followed by the rogue orange. "riz et l'orange"

jongin let out a sound of false amazement. "woo! get you! chanchan's been learning French!" 

chanyeol laughed softly, recalling his date yesterday. he had walked baekhyun home; the whole time was spent pretending to know french. mundane to many, perhaps, but baekhyun seemed to find chanyeol's "pardon my french" hilarious, and in that, so did chanyeol. what baekhyun didn't know is that chanyeol fell asleep listening to a dumb 'Learn French Overnight' video.

jongin scarfed his food down in under five minutes - not his best record, but who was counting - and stacked it atop the steadily rising pile of dishes loitering around the sink. 

"hey, you gonna clean these?" he looked back at chanyeol, who was in the middle of a mouthful of rice, peering up at the younger as if he'd said the unthinkable. 

jongin rolled his eyes. "you're never gonna survive out in the real world, my dude" 

chanyeol finished his meal and shuffled over to his best friend, who was sporting a sour expression as he held up a days old cup of.... something. 

"it's not that bad. yours is usually worse!" 

jongin shrugged. "touché." 

the two wandered over to chanyeol's bed, jongin resting his head on the wall and chanyeol gazing out the little window. 

it was silent for a while. 

"so... whats up with you and kyungsoo?" chanyeol finally said, not even glancing over to the younger. 

he couldnt see him, but he could definitely hear how jongins usually steady breath quickened slightly. chanyeol had to suppress his smile. 

"shut up," jongin huffed. "you have more to explain about you and baekhyun!" 

chanyeol laughed this time. "what is there to say?" he turned to jongin, eyes shining. "we're dating. its chill.... you, however, seem to have something for our lil friend..."

chanyeol's eyebrow raised minisculey as jongin stuttered, trying to find the right words. 

"am i right or am i right?" 

his best friend crosses his arms tightly across his chest. " you," he mumbled. 

"what was that?" the taller overdramatically cupped his hand to his ear. "you want to kyungsoo's di-" 

his declaration, however, was cut off sharply by the smack of a pillow against his cheek. 

"so it is true!" chanyeol squealed as jongin buried his head inbetween his knees. chanyeol shook his best friend's shoulders in excitement. "you're so into him!" 

jongin's ears burned red at the confrontation. "he's cute...okay?" 

"oh my goooood!" chanyeol let out yet another squee and giggled, shaking his bewildered best friend even more. 

a  while or so more of jongin shyly confessing what he liked about kyungsoo - by now chanyeol could memorise it - his eyebrows, oh! and eyes too, his voice, his cooking, his mother like tendancies, how he's actually really sweet when he's not acting tough, the way his hands hold things, the list went on. 

after most definitely too long of this, chanyeol had a lightbulb moment. he glanced slyly over at jongin. 

"hey...jongin... i have an idea...." 

 

to be continued not for suspense but bc im tired as fucc and can't be bothered to write the "idea" all in one go bc it's gonna be long and needs planning sorry lol