Chapter 8

Universes Unknown

Finally a day off.  As if getting to see their families last night wasn't enough, the manager called in the morning to tell them their schedules for the day were canceled.  So each of the boys had a day off to do as they pleased.  Everyone had decided they wanted to spend the day with their significant others.  Luhan and Baekhyun had convinced Chanyeol and Sehun to double date at an amusement park.  Not that the two whipped boys needed much convincing.  Kris and Tao were going to wander the malls and shopping centers.  Minseok and Jongdae were going to play soccer at the park.  And much to Kyungsoo's dismay, he and Jongin were planning on going to the movies with Taemin and Jonghyun from SHINee.  This left Junmyeon to wonder what he should do with his sleeping ball of sunshine.  

Junmyeon, himself was still pretty tired.  Not only did Yixing spend a good couple of hours pestering him for information last night, Junmyeon couldn't sleep because of the things his grandfather had said to him.  Did he really like Yixing as something more than a friend? Sure he felt connected to the boy, but was it truly love? He really just needed some fresh air to clear up his mind.

That's it!

The idea hit him like an oncoming train.  He knew just what to do with Yixing today.  So with a big grin on his face, he walked over to his bedroom and stepped inside.  He gazed down up Yixing's innocent sleeping body, nerves settling in the pit of his stomach.  What if he says no? 

Oh just do it.  

Junmyeon stepped over to Yixing's bunk and reached up to gently shake the boy awake.  The boy muttered sleepily and rolled over, rubbing the sleep from his eyes.  Slowly, he peeked through his eyelashes and smiled when he saw Junmyeon.  Was everything this boy did this cute?

"Yixing, it's time to get up," Junmyeon said softly. "I have something to ask you."

The boy sat up in his bed, the after effects of sleep still evident. "What is it, Jun? Is everything alright?"

"Y-yeah everything's f-fine." The dark haired boy stammered out.  He realized he was just about to ask Yixing out. "Ummm....well...the manager said we h-have the d-day off.  And I was w-wondering if you...y-you...w-w-wanted...."

"I would love to!" Yixing stated before Junmyeon could finish, relief flooded through Junmyeon's body.  Yixing had said yes.  The Chinese boy climbed down from his bed and began searching for clothes to wear. "So what are we doing today?" he called from the closet.

"I want it to be a surprise.  Just make sure you have sneakers and a light jacket with you." Junmyeon hadn't originally intended this to be a surprise, but he figured it would be fun for Yixing.

Yixing left the closet with his clothes and sneakers in hand.  The blonde threw Junmyeon a skeptical look as he headed towards the bathroom.  Junmyeon laughed it off.  He may not be able to understand his feelings for Yixing yet, but one thing was absolutely certain.  The boy had such a positive impact on his anxiety.  Whenever Yixing was around, he no longer needed his medications.  Wrinkles in his bed sheets still drove him crazy, but he no longer had to brush his teeth twice every morning.  Yixing was slowly making him a much more normal person.  And for that, Junmyeon was grateful.  

It was almost noon by the time the boys were ready to go.  They had packed a lunch into a backpack and pulled on their shoes.  Junmyeon had told Kyungsoo what he was planning to do with Yixing while Yixing was in the shower, so Kyungsoo had agreed to let them borrow his car.  Yixing was still in the dark about where they were going as they headed out the door and climbed into Kyungsoo's vehicle.  Junmyeon could tell Yixing was busting to know what they were gonna do.  They had driven halfway down the street when the blonde decided he couldn't take it anymore.

"Oh come on, Jun! Just one little hint," he begged the driver.

"Hahaha.  Sorry, Xing.  My lips are sealed." 

"But the suspense is killing me!"

"Well, then I guess you're gonna have to deal with it until we get there.  Besides, the real surprise isn't until later tonight." Junmyeon grinned cheekily at Yixing.  Then his face turned a crimson shade of red as he realized the implication. "Wait! No! That's not what I meant.  I just.....I just....I meant.  I'm not....we're not.  Ughhhhh!!' Junmyeon mentally face palmed himself about a hundred times. 

Little giggles from beside him let him know that Yixing wasn't embarrassed and hadn't thought that at all. "You're so cute when you're flustered."

Thankfully before Junmyeon could say any more stupid things, they reached their destination.  Just outside of Seoul was a quaint little place hidden within a small forest.  Almost no one knew of it.  Junmyeon could remember coming here with his mom before she passed away.  It was her favorite place to visit.

Curiosity blossomed all over Yixing's face as Junmyeon stopped the car behind a row of trees and climbed out. "Where are we?" he asked as he gazed up at the high tree canopies.

"You'll see.  Follow me." Junmyeon easily found the path his mom used to take.  He could remember every step as if he walked the path everyday of his life.   

The boys entered the forest.  They climbed over rocks and a fallen tree logs.  They jumped over a creek and only stopped to admire a little yellow bird on a tree branch.  After about 20 more minutes of walking, Junmyeon could see the bushes that hid the entrance to their destination.  

"Close your eyes, Xing.  I'll guide you." Junmyeon stopped the boy from walking any further.  

Yixing obediently closed his eyes and held out his hand for Junmyeon to take.  Hesitantly, Junmyeon took hold of Yixing's soft hand and pulled him forward.  Slowly they moved onward, careful to make sure Yixing didn't trip.  Junmyeon eventually was able to pull apart the bushes and push an excited Yixing forward into the clearing. 

"Open your eyes." he whispered in Yixing's ear, and Yixing did just that.  

Almost instantly the boy's eyes began to well up with tears.  They were standing in the middle of a small meadow.  They were surrounded by trees and flowers of all different shapes, sizes, and colors.  A stream trickled right through the middle of it.  The grass was a bright, beautiful shade of green.  And there wasn't a cloud in the big blue sky.  

"Do you like it?" Junmyeon asked, fearing he had done too much.

"I love it." Yixing smiled broadly at Junmyeon. "How did you know about this place?"

"My mom used to take me here all the time.  She loved it here."

"I can see why.  It's so beautiful." Just then the blonde tapped Junmyeon on the chest, calling "Tag! You're it!" over his shoulder and laughing as he ran across the meadow.

"Oh no you don't," Junmyeon said as he dropped the backpack onto the grass and took off after Yixing.  The blonde's laughter only increased when he realized Junmyeon was actually chasing after him.  He zig-zagged right and left, trying not to get caught.  But Junmyeon was smart.  He swerved left just as Yixing turned, causing the boy to land right in his arms.  They both laughed heartily as they tumbled onto the grass below.  It was several moments before the pair could compose their laughter and sit up to brush the dirt off.

"How about some lunch? Or is it dinner? It's gotta be at least 5:00 PM now." Junmyeon said after finally standing up and offering his hand to Yixing.  It had been so long since he had laughed that much.

"Sounds good," Yixing said happily, taking hold of Junmyeon's hand and standing up.

The two grabbed the backpack and set their picnic up by the stream.  They laid out the cliché red and white picnic blanket and pulled out the containers of snacks and sandwiches, along with some juice boxes and the thermos of hot tea that Junmyeon brought for later in case it got cold outside.

"I hope you like peanut butter and jelly." Junmyeon passed Yixing a sandwich. "I'm not much of a chef."

"You made this?" Yixing questioned as he took a bite of his sandwich.

"Yeah.  I promise I didn't purposely put any poison in it.  So if you die, then I didn't do it on purpose."

Yixing laughed. "Ladies and gentlemen! May I present the five-star chef, Kim Junmyeon, and his world famous peanut butter and jelly sandwiches!"

"Oh stop." Junmyeon chuckled and chewed some of his sandwich.  

The blonde and dark haired boys sat there comfortably, just enjoying each other's company.  They had finished up their food and juice boxes and just sat close together, holding hands as night began to fall and the stars came out.  Yixing and Junmyeon laid back on their blanket and stared up at the nighttime sky filled with stars and constellations.   

"And see see that one?" Junmyeon said, pointing to a cluster of stars with his right hand while his left still held onto Yixing's hand. 

"The diamond with the tail?" Yixing asked, eyes following the direction of Junmyeon's finger.

"Mmmhhmmm.  That's my favorite constellation.  It's called Delphinus.  It's supposed to resemble a dolphin that helped Poseidon locate a lost mermaid."

"You know a lot about the stars." Yixing pointed out.

"Yeah, well my mom loved the night sky.  She taught me everything I know about them." Junmyeon could feel Yixing's gaze turn to fixate on him, so he rolled onto his side and propped himself up on his elbow. 

"What happened to your mom?" Yixing asked, tentatively as he turned his attention back to the stars.

Junmyeon rolled back onto his backside, he too looked up at the stars. "She got really sick when I was a kid.  My dad never told me what she had, but it was incurable.  And she died."

"My sister is sick." 

"What?" Junmyeon's head whipped around to look back at Yixing.

"Jun, this is going to sound crazy.  I think we're in some kind of alternate universe or something."

"What do you mean?"

"Please don't be mad at me, but I lied to you.  That day I bumped into you at the subway station.  I told you I was just dropping a friend off and that I forgot my cell phone in her bag.  The truth was, I was running to catch a train to take me to the airport so I could get back to China." Yixing turned sorrowful eyes towards Junmyeon, which clenched at his heart. "You see, my sister has stage four leukemia.  They were operating on her that day.  I was running late that morning because I had to get my paycheck in order to pay for the tickets.  And just as I was running to get on the train, I bumped into you.  My sister is very important, she's only 16.  But I felt like it was fate to meet you because here we are now.  And here she is.  She's alive, happy, and cancer-free in this universe."

Junmyeon couldn't bear to see the boy so sad.  On nothing but pure impulse, he leaned over and kissed the crying boy right on the lips, surprising both himself and Yixing.  Their lips fit together like a puzzle piece.  Yixing didn't respond at first, but then he slowly began to kiss back and wrapped his arms around Junmyeon's neck to deepen the kiss.  It just like Yixing's kiss on the cheek, except much better.  It was like having electricity run through every cell of your body, and Junmyeon didn't want it to stop.  He wanted to feel like this forever.  But alas their lungs needed oxygen, and the boys pulled apart. 

"Thank you," Yixing whispered as he nuzzled up against Junmyeon and settled himself in the crook of his neck. "Now it's your turn to tell me something sad so I can kiss you and make you feel better."

Junmyeon thought about what to say in silence for a few minutes before he said, "I believe you about the alternate universe."

Yixing peered up at the dark haired boy. "You do?"

"Yeah.  My grandfather, the one you met last night, he died too.  A long time ago." 

"I'm sorry, Jun."


"It's ok.  At least I know now that he is alive and well here in this universe.  Just like your sister."

Junmyeon and Yixing laid on the blanket under stars.  Cuddled up next to each other and happily stealing each other's body heat.  Nothing could be better than this.  Junmyeon had his grandfather back.  Yixing had a healthy little sister.  Maybe out there somewhere, Junmyeon's mother was still alive.  But best of all, right here and now, Junmyeon had Yixing.  And even though the boy was lightly snoring and drooling on his shoulder, Junmyeon wouldn't change this moment for anything.

A/N OMG SO MUCH FLUFF!!! Lol I hope you guys liked it.  Any constellation fans don't get mad at me.  This story takes place in late September.  I tried researching constellations in South Korea for September and almost none of the results were in English.  And if they were, they were really confusing.  So I'm sorry if Delphinus isn't the proper constellation for this time or area or whatever.  I tried.  Now this chapter was extra fluffy, but BE WARNED.  There will be drama in either the next chapter or the one after that.  But it is probably gonna be the next chapter.  Anyway, don't forget to comment and subscribe.  Maybe an upvote if you think it's worthy.  See you next chapter :)