Chapter 18

Universes Unknown

FLASHBACK CHAPTER PART ONE

January 2010 - Yixing's POV

It was a cold January morning when Yixing stepped into SM Agency for the very first time.  He was a new recruit and excited to beginarrow-10x10.png his first day of training.  Yixing shook the snow off his boots and attempted to navigate the halls.  Before long, he had easily gotten himself lostarrow-10x10.png in the mess of hallways.  Finally giving up, he approached a stern looking woman.

"Excuse me, ma'am? I'm new." He looked at the information sheet that he was given. "Do you know where training room J-2012 is?"

The woman didn't answerarrow-10x10.png.  She just rolled her eyes at him and walked away.

"Rude." Yixing scoffed.

"It's my first day today too.  We can head there together." A voice from behind him made Yixing jump.  When he turned around he saw the voice belonged to a tall man with jet black hair. "My name is Wu Yifan.  What's your name?"

The man extended his hand and Yixing shook it, happyarrow-10x10.png to meet someone new. "Hello! I'm Zhang Yixing."

"Nice to meet you, Yixing.  We should probably get going.  Don't want to be late on our first day of training."

"Right!" Yixing nodded enthusiastically. "You know where we have to go then?"

Yifan laughed and lead Yixing down the directionarrow-10x10.png of one hallway. "Yeah.  I practically grew up herearrow-10x10.png.  Both my parents work here."

"Wow! You must have had an awesome childhood."

"Ehhh...probably not much different from yours."

They arrived outside the training room after a few moments and stepped into the room.  It was huge.  Yixing gazed around.  The walls were covered with display cases that were filled with almost every kind of weapon known to man.  Guns, swords, bombs.  You name it, they had it.  One wall was covered in giant mirrors.  Some new trainees had pulled out some mats and were already seated in front of the mirrors.

Yifan and Yixing had pulled out a mat as well and sat down beside each other alongside the other trainees.  Everyone was chatting amongst themselves.  Some looked nervous and some excited.  Though Yixing couldn't helparrow-10x10.png but notice the handsome young man who sat next to a pretty girl in the corner of the room.  He nervously wrung his hands over and over.  And it looked like he was having trouble trying to calm his nerves.   

Yixing nudged his new friend on the shoulder. "Hey, Yifan.  You've been here a while.  Do you by any chance know who that guy is?"

Yifan peered in the directionarrow-10x10.png Yixing was looking. "Yeah, of coursearrow-10x10.png, I know who that is! That's Kim Junmyeon! He's famous here because..."

Yixing never got to hear why Jumyeon was famous because right at that moment, a feisty young woman walked in.  "Welcome new recruits! I'm your combat and weapons instructor, Sana."

Sana began their training.  She had them paired up in no time.  Soon they were practicing physical combat.  Nothing too serious, just punch attacks and deflects.  Yixing and Yifan had been partneredarrow-10x10.png.  It quickly became evident that Yifan was good at the attacking, while Yixing was better at deflecting and dodging.  Regardless, Yixing couldn't help but notice Junmyeon in the corner.  The boy was pinned to the floor in an instant by the female trainee he was sitting next to earlier.  She was unrelenting and Yixing could see how much she was hurting Junmyeon.

Yixing glanced over at the instructor.  Sana had obviously noticed what was going on but did nothing to help the young man.  Yixing had enough and left his training partnerarrow-10x10.png to aid the man.  Yifan followedarrow-10x10.png behind Yixing.

"That's not what we're supposed to be practicing," Yixing stated upon reaching the two.

The girl looked up at Yixing.  She let go of Junmyeon and stood back. "Don't worry, newbie.  I wasn't hurting him."

"You sure about that?" Was all Yixing said, suddenly feeling slightly intimidated by the girl's tough manner.  

The girl rolled her eyes. "Second-year trainee.  People call me Krystal.  And this loser is my childhood friend, Kim Junmyeon.  You two got names?"

Suddenly plucking up his courage, Yixing said "Childhood friend or not, you shouldn't have been hurting like him that.  He was in pain, I saw it."

"Were you really in pain, Jun-Jun?" Krystal's eyes widened.

Junmyeon nodded.

"Well, why didn't you say anything, you big dweeb?! I would have gotten off you!" Krystal lightly smacked Junmyeon's shoulder before helping him up and walking off towards the instructor.

As soon as she had gone, Yixing looked at Junmyeon and cast him a warm smile. "Hey, are you ok?"

Junmyeon averted his eyes. "Y-y-yes." He stuttered, face turning a bright shade of red.

"Well, it's nice to meet you.  Your name is Junmyeon, right? My name is Zhang Yixing and this is my friend, Yifan."



February 2012 - Yifan's POVarrow-10x10.png

"There you are, boyfriend." Krystal gave Yifan a hug from behind.

Yifan turned around and wrapped his arms around his new girlfriend.  The two had been close friends since the day they met.  Their other friends, Yixing and Junmyeon, had expected them to hook-up right from the very beginning.  It was like they were meant for each other.  They balanced each other well.  She was petite and feisty.  He was tall and laid back.  He was stone cold, but she knew just how to make him laugh.  She had a temper, but he always knew how to calm her down.  The universe had screamed that they were supposed to be together.  And Yifan had suspected that Krystal's feelings for him were genuine.  He knew he liked her too.  But deep down he knew that his heart yearned for someone else.  Really the only reason he ever agreed to datearrow-10x10.png Krystal in the first place was because he was too afraid his crush would decline him.  Yifan was brave, but not brave enough when it came to emotions.

A tap on Yifan's shoulder brought him back to reality. "Babe, let's go sit down.  I think I see Yixing and Jun-Jun at that table over there."

The two grabbed their tray of food and sat down at the table with their two friends.

Yixing greeted them with a big smile. "Hi, guys!"

"Hey, Zhang!" Krystal grinned. "How's it going, Jun-Jun?"

"Good." Junmyeon responded, then he turned to Yifan and quietly said "Hi Yifan."

Yifan felt his heart speed uparrow-10x10.png as it always did when Junmyeon spoke to him. "Hey."

Krystal didn't take any notice to the way her boyfriend always acted around her best friend.  Instead, she took a bite of her jjajangmyeon and then asked, "So what were you two talking about before we interrupted?"

Junmyeon was quick to shake his head but that only made Krystal more curious.

"Jun-Jun, what are you hiding from me?" She asked, not sounding very coy.

Seeing as Junmyeon wasn't about to answerarrow-10x10.png, Yixing took the initiative. "Junmyeon has a crush on someone but he won't tell me who it is."

Krystal threw a stunned expression at Junmyeon in a joking manner. "Really! Is that so? My little Jun-Jun has a crush on someone? And he didn't tell me?! I am offended!"

"I don't have a crush on anyone." Junmyeon hid his face in embarrassment.  Meanwhile, Yifan could only sit there, feeling afraid that the truth would hurt him.  He wanted Junmyeon to be happy.  But more than anything, he wanted Junmyeon to be happy with him.

"Oh come one! Stop being so shy and tell us who it is!" Krystal pressed.

Junmyeon sat there quietly.  Yifan could tell the poor boy was battling his inner demons.  Yifan could always feel when Junmyeon was distressed.  His friend suffered greatly from an anxiety disorder.  Krystal and Yixing should know better than to push him like this. "Guys, leave him alone.  Can't you see he's internally freaking out?"

"No.  It's ok.  Maybe you're right.  Maybe it is time to confess.  Thanks anyway, Yifan." Junmyeon smiled meekly. "Yes.  I do have a crush on someone."

Krystal gasped.

Yifan's heart froze.  He knew it wasn't him.  How could it be him? But against his better judgment, hope began to flare up in his chest.  

"Who is it?" Yixing blurted out.

Junmyeon took a deep breath. "I don't think I'm ready to say who it is yet.  Please respect that.  This is already hard enough for me.  All I'm going to say is that he is in this room right now."

Yifan didn't miss the flash of a glance that Junmyeon gave Yixing when he said that last sentence.  He knew what that glance meant.  He knew that Junmyeon did not have feelings for him.  Instead, Junmyeon had feelings for his Yifan's closest friend, Yixing.  He was stupid to get his hopes up.  He felt crushed and didn't know if he'd be able to recover from this.

"Yifan, are you feeling ok?" Yixing asked with concern.

It was at this moment, as he looked into Yixing's eyes, that Yifan had started to doubt his friendship with Yixing.


A/N.....Ok so hello everyone!! We have a peek at what really happened.  This part is all truth.  No deceit in this chapter hahaha.  I wanted to include a lot more in this chapter, but the chapter would be too long.  So I decided to split the flashback into 2 chapters.  Hope you don't mind.  Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions are welcome.  I do like constructive criticism because it helps me grow as a writer and I want to please you guys.  Please excuse the typos.  Like before, my computer is still having issues.  Recently my car was hit by another vehicle while it was parked and I was enjoying a theme park.  As far as I know, no one was hurt.  But the other driver involved did not leave a note.  So I'm left with having to pay over $500 (I think that's about £376....or at least that's what Google says lol) for damages that I did not cause.  This means I won't have the money to have my computer fixed for a while.  So please bear with me.  I love you guys! I appreciate your patience and understanding! Subscribe, comment, upvote if you like <3333 Also I know I promised I would reveal who boss is. I'm sorry I couldn't in this chapter. But it's almost definite for next chapter.