Chapter 5

Universes Unknown

After showering, the EXO members left their dance practice an hour later with every muscle in their body aching.  Sana had meant what she said when she said she was putting them to the test.  The boys were almost waddling all the way down to the cafeteria for lunch.  

"I swear you guys will get it if you ever pick on Sana again," Kris growled at the four pranksters.

"Oh, I'm so scared," Baekhyun said sarcastically.  Kris then turned a piercing gaze at the boy, causing him to yelp and hide behind Chanyeol.  Nobody messed with Kris.

"Lu, are you sure you're ok?" The usually stone cold, Sehun, grabbed Luhan's hand comfortingly.

"I'm fine, Sehunnie.  Just a tired and hungry but I'll be ok, I promise." Luhan smiled brightly at his boyfriend.

Junmyeon watched Luhan and Sehun's cute little interaction as he walked beside Yixing and Tao.  Unsurprisingly, Yixing was talking animatedly to Tao.  Yixing had only just learned during dance practice that Tao was also Chinese.  Junmyeon wasn't sure what they were saying to each other, but they seemed to be enjoying speaking to one another in their native tongue.  

The boys reached the cafeteria, each sitting down at the same table after grabbing a tray of food.  Junmyeon followed suit, walking up towards the vendors and grabbing some food.  But as he walked past a particular table on his way back, he could feel a bunch of eyes following his movement.  Junmyeon spared a quick glance.  A young boy with white hair caught his eyes for only a second, then turned and whispered to his red-haired friend.  Junmyeon just brushed it off and sat down between Yixing and Baekhyun.

Not long after, the white haired boy and his red-haired friend walked over to their table.  

"Hello, EXO sunbaes." The white haired boy said and bowed.  The red haired one doing the same. "My name is Taeyong and this is Doyoung.  We're from SM's new rookie group, NCT.  But that is beside the point.  Rumors are going around this place that those two have amnesia." He pointed towards Junmyeon and Yixing.

"Uhhh...n-n-no." Junmyeon stuttered nervously.

"I'll handle this," Baekhyun said and looked at the two NCT members.  He did not like where this was going. "Maybe they do, maybe they don't.  It's none of your business."  

"Woah, woah, woah.  We mean you no harm.  We just want to know if the rumors are true." This time the red-haired one, Doyoung, spoke up.

Baekhyun rolled his eyes.  When he spoke next, he used a sickeningly sweet voice that could only invoke fear in his victims. "Listen, sweetie, I was a rookie once too.  I know this game.  You and your little friends have no seniority and I know you think that by spreading rumors, you'll have some power over your seniors.  Believe me.  I was the king of getting the juicy news from all my sunbaes.  Now I suggest you both go back to your table and twiddle your thumbs like the good little rookies you are." Baekhyun's smile sealing the deal.

"Were we that obvious?" Taeyong asked.

Baekhyun sighed. "First rule of snooping, never directly ask the source. You'll give yourself away in an instant."

"So you're admitting it then?!" Doyoung's eyes widened.

"No.  Why would you think that?" Baekhyun's aggravation level rising. 

Kris stood up and glared at the rookies. "Go away."

One little threat from the scary looking Kris was all it took to frighten the two boys.  They each took off back to their table.  Kris sat back down and picked up his chopsticks.  Tao looked at his lover like he had just single-handedly fought off a hungry pack of lions.

Slowly normal conversation started to pick up again.  The boys began laughing loudly with each other.  Kyungsoo even had to confiscate a plate of rolls from Jongdae and Minseok because they were trying to start a food fight with the NCT boys at the other table.  

"What happened to the nice, quiet, shy Minseok that you used to be?" Kyungsoo asked as he grabbed the rolls.

"He fell in love with a silly dinosaur." Minseok laughed and winked at Jongdae.  Kyungsoo rolled his eyes and pushed the rolls even further out of their reach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~`

The boys arrived at their vocal lesson after their lunchtime was over.  They each took a seat on the plastic chairs and waited for their instructor to arrive.  Moments later the door swung open and in walked a pretty young woman.  She was holding a stack of papers. "Good afternoon, EXO!"

"Good afternoon, Wendy." They chorused.

Wendy smiled at the members. "Before we get started on our vocal warm-ups, I have some news.  First, one of your managers has informed me that if you do well today, there will be a surprise for you tomorrow after your lessons.  Second," she waved the stack of papers in the air, "we have permission to start on your new song today!"

There was an eruption of cheers as the boys celebrated.  Everyone was so excited that even Junmyeon had to admit he felt happy.  Especially after seeing Yixing's adorable dimpled smile.  

"Is it one of my songs?" Chanyeol asked voice filled with hope.

"Sadly, no," Wendy replied.  Chanyeol looked slightly crestfallen. "Don't worry, though, Chanyeol.  I think you'll like it.  It's called 'Overdose'.  We don't have the Chinese version yet, but we can go ahead and get started on the Korean version.  Actually, Chanyeol can you go ahead and hand these music sheets out for me, please? We need to start warming up." Chanyeol took the papers and passed them around to each of the members as Wendy sat down behind her piano.   

Junmyeon took his sheet and thanked his lucky stars that he could read sheet music.  There was only one person in the world who knew how much he loved to sing.  After his mother passed away, Junmyeon's grandfather would look after him while his father was at work.  His grandfather was a very kind and intelligent man.  He knew how much Junmyeon loved music even before Junmyeon knew.  Every day, Junmyeon's grandfather allowed him to take private vocal lessons without his father knowing.  Those were some of the best days of Junmyeon's life.  So naturally he was devastated when his grandfather got sick and passed away.  That's when all his troubles with anxiety began and he didn't have his music or his grandfather to help him.  

Satisfied with the number of vocal exercises they had done, Wendy decided it was time to work on the new song. "Ok guys, I think we're gonna take this individually first.  One by one, I want you to each sing your part to the best of your ability.  Jongdae, since you seem extra chatty today, you can go first." 

Jongdae stood up and walked towards the piano.  He studied his sheet for a moment and then nodded when he was ready.  Wendy began to play the song on her piano.  Soon, Jongdae started to sing along.  He glided through each note with ease.  

Wendy then called Yixing up for his turn.  Copying Jongdae, Yixing walked up to the piano and nodded when he was ready.  He began to sing along to the music on his sheet.  Junmyeon was quite impressed.  The boy had a beautiful singing voice.  It made his heart flutter ever so slightly.  The song then ended way too soon and Yixing walked back to his seat.

Next, it was Junmyeon's turn.  Shakily, he stood up from his chair.

"You've got this," Yixing whispered.

Junmyeon smiled in acknowledgment.  Other than his grandfather and vocal teacher, he had never sung in front of anyone.  What if he wasn't as good as he used to be? Nevertheless, Junmyeon cued the instructor when he was ready and she began to play again.  He could almost feel the notes swirling his body in a beautiful and energetic way.  The notes began to flow from his mouth.  He had forgotten all his worries.  It was just him and the music.  Everything seemed right in the world.  And when the song ended, Junmyeon turned to face the boys.  

The room was quiet as each member stared at him.  Yixing was even crying into his hand.

Sudden horror and anxiety struck Junmyeon. "I'm sorry.  Was I really that bad?" he barely choked out.

"No, Jun.  It's just the opposite!" Jongin answered.

"Yeah, that was the best we've ever heard you sing," Kyungsoo added.

There were mutters of agreement from all around the room.

"It was so passionate.  I don't even think I could sound that good." Jongdae admitted rather reluctantly.

"Th-thanks." Junmyeon blushed from all the compliments.  

Kyungsoo went up for his turn as Junmyeon sat back down next to Yixing. "Yixing, why are you crying? Are you ok?" 

Yixing lightly nodded his head and looked at Junmyeon.  His eyes were red and puffy from crying. "Junmyeon, I have never heard anything more beautiful before in my life.  If I am as radiant as you say I am when I dance, then you are like the sunlight and the stars all combined when you sing.  When you were singing, even the birds outside the window stopped to listen.  You left me breathless."

Junmyeon didn't know what to say.  Tears began to well up in his own eyes.  Never in his life had he been complimented like that.  If there was anyone in the world who deserved to be complimented and loved, it was Yixing.  Junmyeon surprised himself because wanted nothing more than to be the person who loved Yixing the most.  He wanted so badly to close the distance between them and press his lips to Yixing's.  He wanted to taste the lips of the boy he had grown so close to in such a short period of time.  But he knew he shouldn't.  

You're not gay.  And Yixing probably isn't either.  You'll mess things up if you kiss him.  Just think about how disappointed your father would be if his son brought home a boyfriend instead of a girlfriend. 

So instead he tried his best to ignore Yixing's comment and diverted his attention to Tao, who was the one singing by the piano now.

He missed the hurt look in Yixing's eyes.  
  
A/N Hello again everyone!! A special hello to all my new subscribers.  Welcome....welcome.  I wasn't actually expecting this chapter to be ready so soon.  The words just kept flowing.  I'm slightly fond of how this turned out.  I love sassy Baekhyun totally sassing the NCT rookies.  Not so much Kaisoo or Baekyeol in this chapter.  But we did get a little Taoris, Hunhan, Xiuchen, and of course Sulay.  I just hope Junmyeon comes to his senses and realizes he hurt the poor little baby unicorn :( Anyway, I'll see you next update! I love to read your comments, so please don't be silent.  And don't forget to subscribe.

P.S Funny little story.  Right as I started typing the part about the NCT members, their song "Without You" started playing.  IT'S A SIGN!!!