Chapter 19

Universes Unknown

WARNING!!! This chapter is very dark and does include character death.  I wanted to warn you guys in case anyone is sensitive to the issue.  Especially after everything that went on in France.  I mean no disrespect to anyone who lost their lives in the attack.  May those beautiful souls RIP.

FLASHBACK CHAPTER PART TWO


June 2012 - Yifan's POV

Yifan wandered the halls of SM Agency.  His heart had been broken in more ways than he could count.  A while ago he sat at the lunch table with his friends.  Junmyeon confessed that he had a crush on someone.  That someone, Yifan had immediately knownarrow-10x10.png was Yixing.  It wasn't long either.  Nope.  Not long at all before Yixing found out that Junmyeon was crushing on him.  The feeling was mutual.  And Yifan had the unfortunate luck of walking in on a private moment between the two.  This was how he came to wander the halls all alone.  He had just found out that Yixing and Junmyeon were officially dating.  The pain was unbearable.  How could Yixing betray him like that? They were best friends.  And how could Junmyeon be so blind? Why couldn't he see just how much Yifan loved him?  

Yifan clutched his chest and screamed.  It was after hours, so no one would heararrow-10x10.png him in the deserted hallway.  Or so he thought.  Yifan viciously kicked the wall, screamed, threw anything in his sight.

"I wouldn't destroy company property if I was you." A voice reverberated around the walls.

Yifan spun around so fast that he almost made himself dizzyarrow-10x10.png.  He spotted a dark figure at the end of the hallway but he couldn't make out who it was. "Who are you? And why are you here? This place is closed for the night."

"I think the better question is why are you screaming and destroying company property." The voice responded.

"It's personal.  Now leave me alone." Yifan turned his back to the figure and began walking in the opposite direction.

"Maybe I can help.  I know what it's like to have your heartbroken."

Yifan stopped dead in his tracks. "Who says my heart is broken?"

Yifan could heararrow-10x10.png the stranger approaching him cautiously.  He was only a couple feet behind Yifan when he spoke again. "I'm sorry this person broke your heart.  Judging by the way you're acting, they must have been really close to you."

Yifan felt hot tears fall down his cheeks.  His heart was shattering all over again.  He couldn't speak.  He could only nod in response.

The man reached out and put a hand on Yifan's shoulder. "I can help you if you want me to.  Just please let me see you face."

Yifan knew this was coming.  He knew that this was a complete stranger.  That he shouldn't trust a man he just met.  And yet something deep within him told him that it was ok.  That this man, whoever he was, was someone he could trust.  A friend in a time of need.  So with that, Yifan braced himself and slowly turned around.  In front of him stood a skinnyarrow-10x10.png man with big doe eyes.  He had a very pretty face and lookedarrow-10x10.png very young.

The man beamed at him, comfortingly. "There.  See now that wasn't so hard.  What's your name, kid?"

"My name is, Yifan.  And don't call me a kid! I'm definitely older than you."

The man laughed. "It doesn't really matter anyway.  I'm Luhan by the way."

Yifan shook Luhan's handarrow-10x10.png.

"So why are you so troubled, Yifan?" Luhan asked while taking a seat on the chair in the hallway and patting the empty spot beside him.

Yifan took Luhan's wordless clue and sat down next to him. "You were right about the heartbreak."

"I knew it!" Luhan suddenly exclaimed and Yifan threw him a glare. "Sorry.  Please continuearrow-10x10.png."

And Yifan did just that.  He told Luhan everything.  From pretending to love Krystal, right down to Yixing's betrayal.  Luhan only looked at him and listened.  He didn't say much to Yifan.  But it was still so liberating.  And yet, Yifan couldn't help but feel his anger towards Yixing rise rapidly.  Having to relive the memories he had recounted to Luhan had unleashed the beast within him.  He would have Junmyeon one way or another.  And no one could stop him.

"Hey, Luhan. We're friends now right?" Yifan asked.

"Of course we are." Luhan smiled at the tall man.

"Can you help me with something?"



July 13th, 2013 - Luhan's POV

"Hi, Luhan!" Yixing called out and waved excitedly towards his fellow Chinese friend.

"Hey, Yixing! Hey, Junmyeon! Krystal." Luhan pulled on his best mask of friendliness.  Junmyeon bowed his head in response and linked his hand with Yixing's.

This was it.  The final day.  The day everything would go down.  After today he could stop pretending to care about Yixing and Junmyeon.  Or at least that's what he told himself.  If he was honest with himself, Luhan was terrified.  But he made a promise to Yifan and he intended to keep that promise no matter how much he enjoyed spending time with Junmyeon and Yixing.  Besides, Yifan had promised him that no one would actually get hurt.  That they had only hired the hitman to scare the couple.  Luhan couldn't say he agreed with this plan.  But if revenge would help ease Yifan's mind, then he would go along with it.  The poor boy was still plagued by the truth of unrequited love.  It was driving him mad.  Luhan had the easy job anyway.  All he had to do was befriend Yixing and Junmyeon.  To reassure them that absolutely nothing was wrong.  Yifan didn't want them to suspect him of anything.

"How is Yifan?" Yixing asked.  He hadn't seen much of his friend lately.

"Oh, he's alright.  He and Krystal are still going strong despite the fact that our boss keeps sending him out on missions." 

"I heard someone talking about me." A kindly old man walked up to the foursome.

The four agents bowed respectfully.  Krystal, Yixing, and Luhan both greeted the elder. "Good morning, Boss!"

"Good morning, Grandfather," Junmyeon said, bowing again.

"Good morning, agents.  I expect you are all having a busy morning with all the people in the universes that need protecting." The old man smiled, knowingly.

The four shuffled uncomfortably.

"At ease, agents." Laughed the elder. "I'm only kidding.  Lighten up and have some fun."

 "Yes, Boss!" Yixing, Krystal, and Luhan recited simultaneously.

"Yes, Grandfather," Junmyeon said quietly.

Their boss turned to look at his grandson with caring eyes. "How is my grandson today? Not getting into too much trouble with your boyfriend are you?"

Junmyeon blushed and squeezed Yixing's hand. 

Before anyone could response, loud banging noises followed by screaming flooded the room.  The old man took off towards the commotion as the gunshot-like sounds rapidly grew closer.  Unarmed employees began fleeing for safetyarrow-10x10.png.  Luhan's heart stopped when he saw a man and a woman in the distance drop down lifeless.  Soon more and more people met the same fate and Luhan couldn't do anything about it.  He just stood there in shock.  Guilt flooded every cell of his body.  Yifan was behind this.  Yifan wanted everyone dead, and Luhan had helped him.  He allowed this to happen.  People were dying because he was incapable of seeing Yifan's real self.

The world around him seemed to move in slow motion.  Vaguely he remembered someone calling his name and pulling him to a safe place behind a table.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Luhan muttered, repeatedly.

It was his fault.  All his fault.  Luhan had unknowingly encouraged Yifan to do the unthinkable.

"Yifan!" Krystal's voice rang somewhere in Luhan's mind, waking him suddenly from his state of shock. "Yifan is out there! He's in danger!"

Krystal bolted upright, exposing herself to Yifan and the gunman.  Before anyone could stop her, she took off in the direction of Yifan.  Luhan, Yixing, and Junmyeon peered over the table just in time to heararrow-10x10.png another gunshot and see Krystal's body crumple to the floor.

"NO!!" Yifan's voice echoed around the now near quiet room. "I SAID NOT HER! ANYONE BUT HER!"

"How dare you!" A gruff male voice scolded Yifan.

The three ducked back down behind their table as a fight broke out between Yifan and the hitman.  The battle didn't last long.  Sounds of gunshots were followed by the sound of another body hitting the floor.   

Sirens began to blare outside the building.  The gruff voice of the hitman curse loudly and the hidden trio could heararrow-10x10.png the man flee.  Within minutes, police flooded the building and chased after the man.

Slowly Luhan stood up and walked over to where Yifan was lying.  He stared down at Yifan's lifeless body as tears pooled in his eyes.  The guilt was eating him alive.  This all could have been prevented.  Yifan, Krystal, and all these other innocent people would still be alive if he had just opened his eyes and saw the signs.  

Luhan felt two arms wrap around him. "I'm sorry, Yixing.  This is all my fault."

"Luhan?" Yixing spun Luhan around so that he was looking right at him.

Luhan couldn't hold it in.  He confessed everything right then and there.  He told Yixing everything.  And somehow the boy found it in himself to forgive Luhan despite everything that happened.  But Luhan couldn't forgive himself.  

"Yixing, I vow to make it up to you, Junmyeon, and Krystal.  Whatever it takes."


June 13th, 2013 - Yifan's POV 

Yifan woke with a pounding headache one giant lump on his head.  He was covered in blood that he wasn't sure if it belonged to him or not.  His eyes scanned the area.  He was still at the agency, but there was something odd about it.  People were lying on the ground, dead.  Police tape was set up in places where some people had been moved.  

"What happened?" Yifan crawled over to the people nearest to him.  As he gazed on their faces, he vaguely recognized them.  And then it hit him. "Mom....dad...."

Quickly, Yifan shuffled away from the people who were his parents.  But he was unfortunate enough to bump into another body.  He turned and looked at the young woman.  There was even more terror filling every fiber of his being.  Yifan pulled Krystal onto his lap and cradled her body.  He buried his face in her shirt and soaked it with his tears.

"Oh Krystal...." Yifan mumbled. "What kind of monster would do this to you, my love?"

Just like a face flashed in his mind.  Anger surged in his heart.  

He laughed, cruelly and looked into Krystal's eyes. "Don't worry, babe.  I know who did this.  I'll get Yixing.  I remember now.  I remember how he loved Junmyeon, but Junmyeon loved me and not him.  Yixing went mad.  Yixing hired someone to kill you.  Don't worry, babe.  Kris is here now.  And Kris knows just what to do."

END FLASHBACK

 

A/N.....Hi guys!! Sorry this chapter took so long to get up!!! So in case anyone is confused over what we just learned, I'm gonna do a little recap/explanation right here.  Please let me know if anything in these flashback chapters confused you.  

So we start off with Yifan and Yixing meeting for the first time.  You get a little back story from Yifan as he mentions he grew up at the agency.  Then we meet both Krystal and Junmyeon who are childhood friends.

Time passes and we learn that Yifan and Krystal are a couple, but Yifan doesn't love her.  He loves Junmyeon but Junmyeon is in love with Yixing. Yifan feels betrayed by this.  Yixing is supposed to be his best friend and yet he allowed Junmyeon to develop feelings for him.

Later we learn that Yixing and Junmyeon are now dating and we get introduced to Luhan.  Luhan becomes a very important person.  He actually has been all along.  Luhan is from this Agency universe.  He befriends Yifan and agrees to help him.  What he doesn't realize is that Yifan has malicious instincts.  Luhan's job is basically to be a distraction so that Yifan could be absent with Yixing and Junmyeon questioning the absence too much.  Luhan being the kind hearted soul that he is, becomes friends with Yixing, Junmyeon, and Krystal.  So when they are under attack, Luhan feels guilty.  He feels responsible for the deaths of so many people.  And in the end, he agrees to make it up to his friends.  This means that Luhan we have currently, who pushed Junmyeon towards the door to safety, is actually a double agent.  Meaning he lead Kris to believe that they were still friends, when in reality Luhan was working for Yixing.

Within that same portion of a flashback, we have the big reveal of Boss! Yes, Boss is Junmyeon's grandfather (Hyun Ki was his name).  It's been a while, but in one of the past chapters, I introduced Hyun Ki.  And seemed to already know that Yixing and Junmyeon were gonna date.  That was because, in his universe, they were!

The final flashback portion.  Yifan wakes up feeling confused and disoriented.  He wasn't shot at all.  The hitman missed his target.  But Yifan did get knocked out with a blow to the head.  So after he wakes up, he finds out his parents and his girlfriend are dead.  By this point, Yifan has completely lost it.  He doesn't know how to deal with the truth that his loved ones are dead because of him.  So he puts the blame on Yixing and takes up a totally new identity as Kris.

I really hope this answered any questions had.  Please feel free to ask questions in the comment box below and I'll answer them all.  Thank you for subscribing, reading, commenting, upvoting! See you guys in the next update!!!