The Great Escape

Falling For Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After the yoga class, I walked home alone. Yuri has told me that her father would pick her up with the car and left after exchanging a friendly hug. And no, I did not make her cry. Why? She was more vulnerable than I thought she would be. A thick wall of pride was just a facade to hide all that what could've broken her in seconds. However, the thick wall had many holes which means you could break it easily or find a connection to her inner weak self. I found one of those holes and talked with Yuri on a deep level even though we didn't know each other well. I was glad Yuri accepted the criticism of a person who didn't know much about both involved people...it gave me a feeling of ease to know that she wouldn't beat me up for saying something which may not be nice to hear. 

You could notice that Jessica and Yuri knew each other for a long time, the way they talked, the topics they talked about and the way she gestured, were some things that were similiar.

So I walked home instead of taking the bus because it was late and I needed to wait a long time for it to arrive at the bus stop. Besides that, walking gave me the opportunity to think and get fresh air which was still warm even at nighttime. 
I inhaled Seoul's clean air and took one step after another on the dirty concrete floor. Sometimes blasts of air hit my bare arms, giving me goosebumps all over my body. But I didn't get them just because it was cold...I felt another presence, if not presences, on the empty-seeming street. I started to walk faster, the clicking of my high heels echoed down the street, my breathing caught up on it. My calves and feet were hurting already and I would've taken a break if there wasn't that frightening feeling I was running away from. 
I clutched my bag and looked down to avoid someone seeing a pretty face, walking home all alone.
I took a look behind from where I got a strange vibe and hoped with everything I had to see a strolling dog or a homeless searching for empty bottles...but nothing. That was strange though because I've seen many homeless in ths area, lying on the floor or warming themselves at a fire in a barrel...non of those I've met on my way home as if someone chased them away. 

The same feeling was still straining my back and I couldn't get rid of it, not even ease it as much as I was trying to think of something else. The faster I was walking the deeper the cringing feeling drilled into my spine. Then I remembered...Juhyun was probably at home and waited for me to arrive safely like always. 
I got out my phone and called her on speed dial. 

Juhyun: "Hello? Where are you? Is everything alright?"

Me: "I'm on my way home. I didn't take the bus...call me paranoid but I think someone is following me,"

Juhyun: "huh? How long do you still take? I'll pick you up with the car,"

Me: "I still need about... Uh 5-"

"AAH" I was about to tell my roommate about my whereabouts but someone suddenly pushed me against the wall and caught my phone in mid-air. My bag was tightly held in my embrace as I squatted against the wall with closed eyes, being oblivious about the pain in my upper back. 

The next thing I've heard where kicks and groans as if someone fell on the cold floor. I looked up and found two people fighting in front of me. What was even happening? A superhero movie...it was like a superhero movie, or more like a sequence of it in which someone (me) was attacked by the villain and a hero appeared like a bolt out of the blue after watching over me.

They were fighting with the same level of skills, a kick from my hero was parried, a punch and another kick were thrown back at the latter, making him stumble backwards. He soon picked up and went for a high kick, successfully aiming for the taller one's chin. It might've seemed like the villain was stronger and more powerful in terms of fighting but soon I've realized and he, too, that the hero was more advantageous due to the short legs that moved very fast from one spot to another. 

My heart was rapidly beating just as fast as if I was involved in the fight and tried to defeat the bad. My veins were pumping adrenaline through my whole body...it was a familiar feeling and yet I didn't know what to do with all the energy. My limbs were shaking off some adrenaline because it needed to be released somehow.

Another look in front of me I found the villain crouching on one knee in defeat, his rib cage heaving up and down from filling the lungs with oxygen. My hero was standing in front of me like a bodyguard with his hands on the hips. With a lot of imagination I could see a cape, weird gloves and shoes that superheroes always wore and a tie with two holes for the eyes. 

Not until then, I recognized the clothes...if I wasn't wrong. That black hoodie, black skinny jeans and when my hero turned around to check on me; the light perfectly shone at her. Everything went silent, everything around her was faded out by me when I saw big blue eyes with nicely curled lashes behind a weird yet funny mask of a pig. They were those blue eyes I've seen a few days ago. The blue eyes I didn't want to meet again...but here we were. Me as the victim again and she...she was the hero this time. A criminal and a hero at the same time? Impossible. But I didn't mistake her with number 9, right? It was her, right? 

The exhausted one gathered the remaining energy and bobbed up to start a new fight. 
The road was empty, there was no car in sight, the shops were closed, only them, me and a pleasant breeze brought living on the dull crossroads of Seoul and then there was my back pain...it came back when I shifted to the wall to make space for them. They were coming closer and closer as my hero parried every punch that was thrown towards her. Her fighting skills were incredible, let alone her quick reflexes. 

I was so mesmerized and impressed that I totally forgot what even happened in front of me. It wasn't a movie, no. These people weren't stunt doubles, no. I was stuck in the reality. No cut, script, no director, no doubles. It took me a moment to realize that I had to safe myself. My hero probably didn't have much energy left after fighting off fists that were like little but vigorous lightnings. 

My eyes were subconsciously guided to the right. A cheap car went at full speed towards the fighting people in front of me. From afar I recognized her...it was Juhyun. I knew exactly what she thought at that moment, how her expression would change the closer she got to us. The fighters didn't bother much and threw some hard kicks back at each other, without noticing what was happening and what will happen. 

I didn't think about the consequences and jumped up right when I thought it would be the best to stop fate from taking a beautiful human being away from us. Looking at the speed, Juhyun was rushing towards us, she wouldn't have enough time to think about a full brake if I were to jump in front of the car to stop her. It was time for me to be the hero...her hero. I ran the little distance to the two fighting people and pulled my hero towards safety. It was fate's turn to take its course...whatever it would be. 
I grabbed a hand full of thick fabric and yanked her away from the scene of crime. Fate wasn't on my side and decided to do something I haven't imagine would happen. Did she have such a big heart? 

"Get in the car, Miyoung!" Juhyun leaned over the passenger seat's side and waved. I immediately let go of her and got in before I have looked back to my hero I had to leave. 

I didn't even close the door when my roommate slammed on the gas pedal and left the villain and my hero by themselves. My eyes wandered to the side mirror where I was able to have one last glance at her. A loud screeching sound was heard when Juhyun veered to the left, trying to retain control of the steering wheel with the utmost concentration. 

"Miyoung, are you hurt anywhere?" Juhyun swayed her attention for a short time from it to me but fixed her eyes on the road when I pointed at it. 

"My, my back hurts. You almost killed them!

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter