Baby Steps

Falling For Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[TAEYEON]

We were driving only half an hour 'till we reached my mansion. Glancing at Miyoung, she looked somewhat baffled as if she had never seen a house before. Miyoung, who didn't have a lot of money; Miyoung, whose parents weren't famous.

She was the first normal person ever to think my house would be something special. Not that rich people weren't normal, unlike Yuri, Sooyeon, Sunny or Hyo, Miyoung's words were stolen and her tongue swallowed when we entered the property. Especially Hyo thought my house would be nothing special...she even told me it was small and would look like the poorest of our houses, if someone else compared all four. Although Hyo was Sunny's sister, who was younger by 5 months, they were sooooo different. Starting from their looks, sometimes I asked myself if they were actual sisters, they didn't look alike nor acted alike. Sunny liked it to be touched or to touch other people; Hyo, on the other hand, hated it. Sunny was humble...or at least humble enough to make her likable but Hyo...oh man Hyo was very special when it came to money; she was the only one of us to attend a university for people with loads of money because, how she said, over my dead body am I going to study with earthlings! She didn't really mean it with earthlings but, apparently, she thought of anyone else, who wasn't rich, as another species or something like that. 

 

Her resentment to "earthlings" even reached the extent that her staff were the only non-rich who were allowed to talk to you. Hyoyeon was funny but her never ending ego trip gave me brain cancer. 

 

Anyways, Miyoung's attention was fixed at the gate before she leaned in my direction to look out of the front window. Muttering a still audible wow, a look to the right allowed her to see a big, white house; my big, white house. It must've made click in her head, finally realizing how rich I actually was. And I was still surprised at her reactions, at first my car, then Seunghee and after that my family's property. 

To be in her presence made me feel like someone who had power or someone special or someone...who wasn't irrelevant. I didn't have many friends and neither did I want many friends. I only had my best friends who were like sisters to me and Tiffany, and that was absolutely enough. 

 

"Tiffany, welcome to the Kim mansion," nice, instead of flirting with my guest, he should've greeted me at first. I knew it was a mistake to keep him here but since his mother died just a few months ago and his father didn't come home because of work, I couldn't let him sob all alone in his small apartment. In my house, he was still sobbing alone but at least not in his cold residence without food...

 

--------------------------

[FLASHBACK - 15 years ago]

 

"Why am I here?"

 

"Some angels come from heaven and can't get back, you know? You are one of those who came here without any knowledge about the world and us, humans," the lovely old lady explained as she caressed the girl's cheek. 

She knew this question would come someday and every time it was hard to explain why they ended up here. These little, young hearts were still innocent, naive and free from dirt, distrust and pain which was why they believed every word coming from the person whom they relate the most. Since they didn't understand that, it wasn't difficult for them to live their life without any worries but as they grow older, it can lead to complications within their school life, social life and more. "Why does this have to happen to me?" "why does nobody want me?" Were usual questions coming from an adolescent who was still parentless and couldn't accept the fact that no one was interested in adopting them. 

 

Yes, there were cases like that. No one would want someone whose childhood you missed already. "What was the point in adopting half an adult?" Was what most people thought when they came here, looking at almost grown up boys and girls. 

 

"Why would humans give away an angel?" 

 

"Sometimes humans can't be powerful as you that's why it's hard for them to keep an angel," Only 6 years old and asking those questions already...she was a smart child, maybe even the smartest. If her parents knew about her intelligence and love for details, they wouldn't have given her away. Like a find she was given to them, enveloped many times in a big, white cloth that wasn't thicker than her hair. She remembered this moment as if it was just yesterday; the little baby wasn't crying or screaming, just smiling happily, not knowing that she had no parents anymore. No one in the orphanage knew why someone would give away such a positive soul. 

 

--------------------------

 

"Thank you," Miyoung blushed and took his hand that he reached out to help her getting off since she wore high heels. He was a handsome younger boy whose polite behavior you could mistake for flirting and vice versa, that's why it wasn't difficult to fall for him and then get your heart broken. Especially, with that nice attire, my parents told him to wear, made him more attractive and older than he actually was. His name was Minho...Choi Minho. A little uneducated rascal who knew how to get the girls.

 

He smiled and scanned her from head to toe like a hungry beast. And it didn't surprise me that she was about to fall for him, judging from her grin. 

 

So you think this is just being nice just because it's his job? Oh Miyoung, sooner or later you'll find out about his real intentions. Luckily I am here for you to let you know sooner. I wouldn't let him hurt her precious heart while I was still breathing on this planet. It was always the same whenever I brought my friends to my...*ahem* our home. My parents didn't really care whom he hit on as long as he stayed in his lane. However, Minho's behavior was often "misunderstood" which was why most of my friends hated him...actually all of them because he didn't hesitate to be very friendly. Since I didn't talk a lot and didn't consider it worthy, he was shamelessly using my weakness against me. Knowing that I wouldn't say something when he did that in front of me, Minho had a lot of space and could technically do whatever he wanted. 

 

I had no power when it came to him...my parents thought of him as a gentleman who was always polite and stuff thus it was impossible to tell on him because they'd excuse it with he's just nice and bla bla bla. So frustrating...When he started to work here, I soon noticed his first target; Sooyeon. At first, I was understanding and kindly asked for him to stop but it didn't help so I told my parents but they didn't believe me. I had to go on with plan C; wasn't a good idea actually...haven't used this plan since then because I'd risk to get banned from heaven, quoting my childish parents who were at home, just for once. This time I didn't hesitate or thought about it a second time and did it again after a while; as they looked at each other, I stood sideways to them and tapped the younger boy's shoulder. I reached back and gave him my fist with a lot of love and kindness. The results showed in his bleeding nose. Honestly? I didn't have the slightest regret on punching him in order to protect Miyoung's naive heart. My parents could ban me as much as they wanted but I wouldn't leave this world without punching Minho for her sake.

 

"Taeyeon!" Miyoung shouted with an terrified expression in her face, crouching down to look after his face. So this is what I get? I protected you before your feelings get hurt and yet you don't even appreciate it. 

 

Luckily, Seunghee drove away before he could see this mess. He was going to find out about it, anyway but that was better this way than witnessing it himself.

 

I scoffed and shook my head from left to right before I took her bag and proceeded to enter my house. 

Finally. I really liked it at home...it was always calm and the people who worked here knew how to act properly...besides Minho. Home sweet home got its meaning justified...

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter