Time Machine

Falling For Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I stared at the stain on our wooden floor, scrubbed and scrubbed but it didn't leave its spot. I asked myself where it came from and what it was because I didn't take any liquid in my room that would leave stains like this one...at least I didn't remember. I got up and walked to the small storage room across the bathroom to get some solvent stronger than water. 

I sprayed some of it on that spot and waited a little bit. In the meantime, I noticed an uncomfortable chill running down my spine. My porcelain-like hands were as dry as a block of cement due to the coldness that has invaded my room's air. My window wasn't and couldn't be tightly closed...I tried to fix it with tape but it didn't help at all. At times, usually in the evening or at night, the one and only window in my room slightly opened and left a crack wherefore a fresh breeze entangled me in a lasso of iciness. Since my window broke I didn't get good sleep...not only because of that but this little yet stubborn stain wouldn't even go off with the help of the cleaning agent that promised fast acting and affective formula against tough dirt without rubbing and scratching! (You have to read this in a very exciting voice lol) 

"What a scam," I said, rubbing the spot in anger.

"Hey," I took a break from my hysteric act and greeted Juhyun who came home from work, "what are you doing?" She asked.

"I'm trying to remove this stupid, super, mega, stupid stain," My roommate giggled and came towards me before squatting down to look at it from a close distance. 

"Miyoung..." She said rather expressionless, "I think that's blood," 

"W-w-what?" 

"Isn't it obvious? It's dark red, it can't be removed easily...blood," 

"But why would be blood on my floor?" 

"Why are you asking me? Period blood?" 

"No, no, I don't think so," Juhyun and I looked from the stain up to one another and thought about it in silence. I didn't know how long it would take until blood soaked in the wood but it couldn't have been so long ago since I just noticed the blood right next to my bed. Waking up, I immediately sat on the edge of my bed and slipped into my pink clogs so I couldn't miss it in the morning. Maybe I was still too tired to notice it but I was very certain that it couldn't be possible to miss such a present stain. 

"Just," Juhyun got up and took the corner of my carpet, "cover it," 

"But it's blood. Whose blood is it when it's not mine?"

"I'm smart but I don't know that much, Miyoung. I'm sorry," I sighed and sat on my bed. 

"Anyways, I'm starving to death. I'll cook some sweet potato, wanna eat with me?" 

"You and your sweet potatoes, no thanks,"

"You eat everything besides my sweet potatoes. They are very healthy, you know,"

"Yeah but I just ate," remembering this afternoon, I suddenly got excited and shouted Juhyun's name.

"it's late why are you so loud?" 

"She spoke to me,"

"Who? Number 9?"

"I wish! No, I mean this girl I've told you about,"

"You haven't told me about any other girls beside your hero or whatever you call her,"

"Oh really?"

"Yes really,"

"Cook your potatoes and sleep in my room tonight. I've lots of things to tell you," 

"Sweet potatoes," 

"Yeah, yeah whatever," 

[39 minutes later]

"And then she took my arm and...,"

"?"

"I- No!"

"Miyoung, calm down. What's wrong?" Remember when I went to the restroom to change my shirt? I was so distracted by our conversation that I didn't notice it. It was evening and Taeyeon was probably waiting for my text or call. How was I supposed to explain it to her that I washed it away in the restaurant?

"She gave me her number and I washed it away,"

"On purpose?"

"No, of course not. Ugh! What is she thinking about me now? She must be waiting for me," I slammed back on my bed and stared at the white wallpapered ceiling. I couldn't possibly tell her that I washed it away, right? She was in the same room with me, why didn't she see it? How embarrassing. I turned myself on the stomach and screamed my frustration into the pillow. 

"Why? Why? Why?" I shouted. 

"Miyoung, why don't you ask her best friend? What is her name? Jessica?"

"Her best friend's name is Sunny. I can't and won't ask that meanie for Taeyeon's number!"

"You are childish," Juhyun rolled her eyes and chewed on her sweet potato stick. 

"Imagine someone would talk to me like that and I'm totally defenseless,"

"But you aren't,"

"That's why I said imagine!" Juhyun wasn't a help at all. I didn't ask for her opinion and yet she didn't even give me some useful advice. 

Taeyeon was going to be mad at me if I didn't text her but I didn't want to explain it either because I felt ashamed of my clumsiness. Wouldn't it be the best to ask Taeyeon's friends about her number? But who? Sunny was definitely not an option after I threw a fit at her. 

I sat up and scrolled through the contacts in my phone. I didn't know a lot of Taeyeon's friends just: Sunny, Yuri and...Jessica! Jessica was the answer to all my questions! I believed she was a person I could trust...if I told her to keep it a secret she would do it for sure. 

Tapping the letter J on the right side of my screen, her name immediately appeared at the first spot. I looked at my roommate who silently ate her sweet potato sticks and dialed her number. 

Jessica: »hello?«

Me: »hey, it's me, Tiffany,«

Jessica: »do you know what time it is?«

Me: »it must be party time!«

Jessica: »what?«

Me: »I'm sorry, I just...nevermind. I wanted to ask if you have Taeyeon's number,«

Jessica: »why?«

Me: »just tell me if you have it or not,«

Jessica: »yes, I do have her number,«

Me: »do you promise not to tell Taeyeon what I'm going to tell you now?« 

And after that Jessica signed our contract in her imagination and carefully listened to my plea to keep it a secret, sparing me the embarrassment. 

A silent laughter was heard at the end of the line. After that there was an uncomfortable silence as if Jessica just hung up on me. Once again, an annoying whistle reached my small ear, singing a melody similar to a wrong tuned guitar. The sound was quietened down by me while I waited for Jessica to say something. Checking on Juhyun, who made herself comfortable in my bed, I went to the storage room and looked for nails and a hammer. 

"Jessica?" I asked but no response. As I silently fished for some rusty, old nails, I took a quick peek on my display to check if Jessica might've actually hung up but she didn't.

"Hello?" I asked again. 

Jessica: »I'm sorry, my- my mom called me and she is kind of strict so I rushed to her,«

Me: »ah okay, so can you keep it for yourself and send me her number?«

Jessica: »I can't promise you that it won't accidentally slip but I'll do my best," I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter