Express 999

Falling For Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"GET ON THE FLOOR! NOW!" 

*shoot shoot* 

Why? Why the hell would you do that to me? Haven't I clearly told you I wanted safe shifts? I couldn't blame you but I didn't expect to be involved in trouble in my first week. My boss ensured me safe shifts since I knew I would expose myself to danger when I signed the contract but here I was squatting in the corner, hiding from the trouble.

How came I was so relaxed? I should've panicked and called the police or at least someone to tell them my last words before I die, instead I clutched my heart to feel the rapid beating of it and started to think of a plan. My phone wasn't even close to me thus I couldn't call anyone to bid my farewell.

"Breath, Miyoung. Just breath for a moment and then we will look for a way out. It can't be that serious, right?" It was a robbery. What else would a criminal want to do in a bank when it isn't something bad? I hardly thought because they want to go grocery shopping. Even though my body said something else I managed it to keep a calm composure - must've been the results of my continuous yoga class attendance...the yoga classes did teach how to relax oneself and to get slack of those uptight muscles but it didn't teach me to relax my sweat pores and stop them from ejecting a keen-smelling liquid because I nervously sweat from in between my toes up to my armpits and forehead. Bullets of sweat ran down the bridge of my nose and my hurting temple. Every blast of air made me shiver in coldness; the goosebumps were popping in an instant and I couldn't do anything against it besides rubbing the heated air against my arm.

"Number 9! Get the money! We have everything under control." The money, which you could easy take, was here...here behind the counter where I was sitting. I had a little hope on my survival but it didn't seem like I could do that either.

This was by far the most thrilling and exciting event in my 21 years of lifetime. You must be thinking: how could this girl not be afraid in such situation? Or run! Run outside and get help. 

Yeah, Miyoung; why didn't you just run? Well, because these people had guns with them and I shouldn't risk or at least try not to die. Eventually, I came up with a smart and pragmatic way to escape...that's what I thought...
The first thing you always have to do is to keep your head cool. 
Two: observe your surroundings and pay attention to things that can get in your way.
Three: do it. Without hesitation just do it and don't pull back. Once you pulled back you are more likely to be stuck with your problem...or the problem finishes you.

Step one. If you are in danger breath and tell yourself you can do it. 

"You can do it Hwang Miyoung!" I whispered to myself as I prayed with closed eyes.

Second step: I peeked around the corner and saw everyone lying on the floor with their faces down and hands on the back of their heads. Rolling my eyes further to the right, pieces of wall were spread here and there. The doors were bolted and barred with long pieces of wood and a chair prevented the revolving door from turning. 
Earlier, when everything started; I heard several dominant voices, 3, 4 or even 5 must've been trying to rob the bank when I wasn't wrong. However, a moment later, I heard nothing but heavy breathing from the people who fogged up the porcelain floor in fright. It indeed was porcelain, no red stains or anything that looked like blood from a person who was hurt. I was kind of reliefed since the possibility of dying went down and the possibility of coming out of this building alive increased...a wrong move was enough and I could be the first one to be shot.

I shouldn't underestimate criminals of any kind. They may seem harmless, because the majority or all of them were women but one shouldn't, should not! underestimate the power of women...especially women with weapons. What was I even thinking about? These people weren't about to rob just a bank but a known among the wealthy citizens of Seoul. It made me more scared of what lay ahead of me. 

However, you should trust me, I was experienced in terms of underestimating the female population but at the same time it wasn't such a good idea to trust me as well since I was comparing a robbery with a crazy break up from 4 years ago. I chuckled at myself and turned serious again when I realized in what situation I was stuck. I looked around the corner to ensure that I was still safe and luckily I was. But wait...

I neither heard footsteps nor the loud voices. Did they leave? My head turned back behind the counter to check if 'number 9' touched the lockers in which a little amount yet high sums were stored...no one, not a small sight of a suspicious guise told me someone was moving towards the money which was safe...yet.

I suddenly startled when a rather high or more like a female voice echoed through the giant hall in every corner, every hole they created and lastly, in my ears. 

"I'm glad y'all obeyed us in such short time. I assume you know who we are by now? You really shouldn't mess wi-" 

"Let's proceed with our actual plan. We are not here for an afternoon coffee party," I heard another person say, a woman as well.

Again I peeked around the counter's corner to catch a glimpse of the not so dangerous-seeming people but I didn't see any of them. I was curious about them whether they looked like robbers like I have seen them in movies with masks and stuff but I would've needed to turn my head further and risk to be seen in order to fulfill my curiosity. I should continue with my plan but the more they were saying, the more they seem to be calm and that calmness frightened me even more and slowed down the process of making out a plan in my already slow thinking brain.

"Go number 9, g

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter