Let It Rain

Falling For Silence
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Right then, I've noticed a beautiful girl with an irrelevant guy sitting at a table not far from us.

"Well, it's a small world," I said, bowing my head towards them.

"Now, I recognize her!" 

"What do you mean?" 

"What do you mean what do you mean? That's Kim Taeyeon," very strange...how did they know each other?

"You know her?"

"Who doesn't?" He asked back. I frowned at his answer and tried to make out what he meant. I didn't think Taeyeon was a celebrity or at least not a very known one because I would've noticed it. I just saw her once around the campus when the majority of students have left already. Maybe it wasn't just Sunny's hide out from people but Taeyeon's too. Maybe she was running away from all those fangirls and fanboys since she was a public figure...but if she were a very known person, why would she show up somewhere with many people around? 

"I haven't known her for so long and obviously, I'm not very up to date about the entertainment industry," I stated as I stared at her. It didn't take long until she noticed her spectator and smiled. I immediately smiled back and waved her, but I got no wave back. Instead she looked at the guy in front of her and smiled at him. I put back my arm in disappointment and listened to Khuni. 

"Her parents own a small but successful music label,"

"Oh, really?" Now, that he has said it, she kind of looked like a singer and songwriter who mastered the acoustic guitar and piano. So Taeyeon must be studying music or performing arts...interesting. Expressing her feelings through music instead of words, I really liked the idea of it. She must be born to be a musician. Just imagine how she would sit in a comfortable chair, sophisticatedly writing down notes after she let the strings play a melody that reminded of love, sorrow, confession or break-up. 

Every now and then, our eyes met but I immediately looked away before I seemed like a crazy fangirl. She wasn't different from me though, her sweet gaze didn't melt with mine longer than a second until she swayed her attention back to her company. He was talking the whole time, as I could tell from the reflection in the window behind Taeyeon...his talking was as endless as a waterfall, the words were flowing like stream of water...no end in sight. When he stopped to talk it was only when he took a sip of the juice to wet his throat. As soon as the cup left his mouth, it started again. There must've been a lot to tell each other...excuse me, there must've been a lot to tell Taeyeon. But she was okay with it, judging from her expression. It wasn't bored, no, quite the opposite, she carefully listened and happily laughed about whatever he told her. She didn't have time to say something since he was sparkling with funny stories, leaving aside the fact she wouldn't even have answered anything. 

"So let's start, ms. Hwang," pulling me out of my daydream, he took out a notebook and a pen, before scribbling down Case #85.

"You remember the number of the case?" 

"Yes, it helps my brain to sort the information," Nichkhun Horvejkul: a perfectionist, liked tidiness, order and system; noted.  

"Tell me what happened from the beginning to the moment I came, ms. Hwang,"

"First of all, you can call by my forename," 

"Which one? Stephanie "Tiffany" Hwang Miyoung was in that form you had to fill," 

"You can call me whatever you want but right now I prefer Tiffany," 

"Alright, Tiffany. I'm ready to write down everything you say," 

"I actually don't know what to say because there didn't happen much. I was  behind the counter when I suddenly heard a bang," I stated, "I hid inside the counter and when everything went silent, I came out and after that you found me,"

"What about the blood?"

"That's why I crouched there, I didn't know what happened, it-" with my best abilities of acting, I stuttered to make my lie even more credible... "It was so much...so much blood,"

"That's it? You haven't seen more? Every safe was opened besides one, I assume you sat in the counter where that one was?"

"Yeah, I guess," 

"But how did they know you were in there? Why didn't they take the money from that one too?"

"I don't know, why are you asking me?"

"Because I think that you are lying," 

"Why would I lie? I have no reason to protect these people," he thought right but I wouldn't let my guard down and kept going with the lies. I only had to remember them in case he was going to ask me again. 

"I met a lot of people who protected suspects because they were either people they loved or knew. There was a case last year, two young boys were threatened by their own mother to make a false statement about there father who was the prime suspect of a murder," 

"There are things like that?" 

"Yes, that's why it is very important for you to tell me the truth from the very start. It can lead to a lot of problems in the case,"

"Problems like what?"

"The investigation won't show any progress, it'll get us on a wrong track and such..."

"Well, I did say the truth," not...I was shamelessly lying in his face without any regret on doing so and that was okay for the time being. Because he believed me and it wasn't like I protected a murderer...

"That's very contra productive for us...these girls are very dangerous,"

"Yeah?" 

"Yeah," 

"Yeah question mark," obviously, he didn't get what I meant and slurped his ramen like a champion instead of telling me more. 

"You want to know why they are dangerous? At the beginning, when we didn't know how dangerous they were, there was a woman...as young as you...she wanted to make a statement on them but before the appointed day, she was found dead. Everything has spoken for a suicide; we found a note, even her family said she had some mental problems...the only puzzle piece that didn't fit was her antidepressants,"

"What about her medicine?"

"It requires a prescription but the company, she is insured at, didn't list that medication..."

"Have you, a police officer, ever heard of illegally obtained?"

"Don't you think it's weird that she died right before she wanted to make a testimony? Her family wasn't by their senses either,"

"Would you be by your senses if your daughter or sister committed suicide?"

"Well, no, yes, no..."

"See?"

"Anyways, we don't even know how they heard of her and that she wanted to make a statement. That's why we are meeting on a casual occasion like this," both of us looked down at our table, which you could mistake for a buffet and laughed at the same time. 

"No one would know that we actually talk about other things than food...and food," 

"Isn't it a little bit suspicious if you are sitting in front of me, dressed like a police officer, with pen and notepad in your hands?" 

"I didn't considered that," he said, before taking out his phone.

"So back to the girl...if the evidence speak against a homicide, why do you still think it was them? Would you have confined them even though there are no evidence it was them?"

"I'm sure...it was them, maybe just one of the five. These people are stro

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter