Accept, or decline?

Supernaturals

Chapter 2: Accept, or decline?

One side of me want to jump with joy, but the other side of me is nervous and in denial. There were others like me? No, it can’t be possible right? All my life I thought I was the only one with this supernatural ability, but clearly I was wrong. For all I know, they might be lying to me.

“What do you mean? There are others?’’ I ask.

“Yes Jungkook, there are others like you. Not the exact same abilities like you though. I can say one of them has the ability to control water, and an another have the ability to heal and regenerate at an incredible fast rate. The rest of them you have to find out yourself, but only if you’re willing to come with us.’’

 

“Son, I think it’s wise if you go with them. This way you can learn to control your ability, not only that, you get to meet others like you! Maybe they will become your friends later on too?’’ my father says.  
He pats me on the shoulder, while my mother circles her hand on my back. I don’t know what to say. These two men showing up on my birthday, claiming there are others like me, and want me to go with them to learn to control my abilities? Everything drops like a bomb upon me, and it’s a lot to take in. 

“How long is it going to take?’’ 

“That depends on you. If all goes well, maybe sooner than you might expect.’’ professor Khang answers me.
That didn’t answer my question fully. I wanted him to answer something like ‘maybe 3 months’, not ‘that depends’. I scowl a bit, but not big enough to make it look rude to professor Khang and Mr. Ryong. 

“Can I think about it? This is a lot to take in, and I need to talk to my parents first.’’

“Of course, but we need answer at least tomorrow, or the day after. Is that okay?’’ Mr. Ryong ask us.
I nod, a little to soon than I intended. “Yes we will let you know.’’

“Good! Here, on this is our number. If you call and accept, then we will come and pick you up as soon as we can.’’ Mr. Ryong takes out a small white rectangular card from his pocket and hand it over to me. I take it from him and look at it, feeling my mom and dad hovering from each side to look too. 
The font is black and small, but still readable. Both professor Khang and Mr. Ryong’s numbers stand on it, each number on separate sides. 

“We better get going, thank you for your time. I hope we hear from you soon Jungkook, goodbye.’’ Mr. Ryong says and bows.
Professor Khang bows too before following his boss. My mom stands up showing them out, while me and my dad remains in the couch. When she comes back, I can see my brother walking behind her. My blank stare immediately disappears, being replaced with a big smile. I stand up going forward to give him a hug. A smile plastered on his face too, he holds out his arms welcoming me. My brother wrap me up in his muscular arms, and the warm embrace of him engulfs me. I bury my face in his shoulder holding him tight, and we stand like this for a couple of minutes. In the end my brother pull me a little back, and watch me with curious eyes. 

“Jungkook, who were those two men just now?’’ he ask me.

I open my mouth, but my mother beat me to it.
“They are someone who know about his ability dear. They want him to come with them to some place so he can learn to control it.’’ 

My brother turns to my mom, and back to me again. He make the same scowl I did when professor Khang and Mr. Ryong were here, only much more obvious.
“Why did they leave then? If he accepted, shouldn’t they’ve taken him with them? Does that mean you declined?’’

“No, I haven’t answered yet. They gave me two days to decide.’’

“And what do you want to do? Have you decided?’’

I look down, noticing my brother’s white and red shoes. I haven’t really thought about it.
“I haven’t had the time to think yet. When those men left, you came. I’ll let you know as soon as I know the answer. But I can’t say I don’t consider it. Maybe it’s for the best?’’ I look up again and his scowl haven’t disappeared. 

“If you want my opinion, then I’d say you shouldn't go with them.’’

“What? Honey why do say that?’’ My mother ask. She should learn not to interrupt sometimes!

“I don’t know, it doesn’t feel right. They don’t feel right. I know I’ve only seen them for a few seconds, but they gave off a bad vibe the few seconds I actually saw them!’’

Sensing the discussion coming up, I decide to interrupt them. 
“Please, can we talk about it tomorrow? You just came home, and I can’t be the only one craving for food right now after everything just happened.’’

“Alright I’ll go get your father, and you two can prepare the table.’’ my mother says and leave.

 

Dinner wasn’t tense, quite the opposite actually. We forgot about professor Khang and Mr. Ryong, and talked about other things instead. Brother told us he got a crush on someone, and I couldn’t help but rest of the dinner, which he regret telling afterwards. He didn’t tell her name though, only “I have a crush on someone’’, and that was it. Me, mom and dad tried to get him to reveal a name, but he refused. I wonder if that person he has a crush on is a ‘she’ at all. Not that I mind but he can trust us with something like that, or trust me with something like that. Yeah let’s go with that.

 

I can’t sleep. Everything came rushing back to me after I lie down in my bed and began to think. It’s been bugging me rest of the night! If I accept, then that means I have to leave my family for who knows how long, and I learn to control my ability better. But if I decline then I miss that opportunity, and I won’t meet the others who professor Khang and Mr. Ryong claim to have the same abilities as me. My mom and dad want me to go, while my brother doesn’t. Either way, someone will be disappointed no matter what choice I make.
If I decline, will I regret it later?