An Offer

Supernaturals

Chapter 1: An Offer

"Jungkook? Take out the trash will you?’’ mother asks me.

“On it!’’ I go down the stairs from my room, and I see my mother holding the trash for me. 
As I step out the doorstep with the trash in hand, I can hear cars driving by, and people walking and chatting. It’s like this everyday. Nothing has changed as I can remember. People are busy with their jobs, kids with school and when they’re done for the day, nothing else. Everything perfectly normal. I can’t say the same about me though. 

Of course, my mom and dad works to earn money, while I go to school hoping for a good education, and my older brother are studying in university. But my family has something extra in our lives, or it’s actually just me. It all happened when I was born. My mom didn’t have time to reach the hospital, so my dad and brother helped her in the living room. The thing is, I did something that newborn babies shouldn’t do, I created an earthquake. It was a small earthquake, so nothing serious happened but still, it was on the news. I’m happy she didn’t give birth to me in the hospital after it happened. 

As years passed by, my power, or ability, grew with me. From creating small earthquakes, to bigger ones and moving big boulders. My family and I promised each other that we wouldn’t say a word to a single living soul, or dead soul if it happened that I could talk to the dead too. My dad also told me that I can’t use my ability under any circumstances, no matter what. You may think it’s cool to have such ability like I do, but you’re part wrong. The downside to this is that I can’t control it. 

I haven’t had the time to practice my ability, and if I do it’s hard without revealing myself to other people, so it happens sometimes that I move a big rock or something without realising. It happened when I was shopping for my mom once. I moved a medium sized rock out of my way by accident, and a man riding on his bike came by, he tripped and broke his arm. When I step back inside the house, I see my mom looking weird at me.

“Did it really take you five minutes just to take out the trash?’’ she asks with a small chuckle.

“Sorry, I zoned out for a bit.’’ I respond making my way back up to my room.

“Don’t forget what day it is tomorrow!’’ 

“It’s you who shouldn’t forget mom!’’

That’s right, tomorrow is my birthday, the day I turn eighteen. I actually forgot, my mom knows me so well! I enter my room and sit down in my bed. My room is small, but I don’t need it any bigger to be honest. My bed is to the left, and to it’s right is my window with a view of our garden. On the wall near my bed is a clock, and a picture of me and my family together on a family picture. To the right is my study desk with my computer on it. And finally my closet near my desk, full of clothes I don’t need. I got those clothes from my family. They say my style of clothes are to simple and plain.  

I stare up at my ceiling, when I should study for a test I’m going to take tomorrow. A test on my birthday! Luckily my grades aren’t the worst, but they’re not the best either, totally average. Forcing myself up again to my desk, I find my books from my backpack and begin to study. This is going to be fun, notice my sarcasm? 

Already tired, I slam my books shut and look at the time. I’ve been studying for almost three hours, and it begins to get dark outside. It should be enough, I already know some of it from before so it shouldn’t be any worries. Again I plummet down on my bed, and let sleep take over, a little bit excited for tomorrow. 

 

The test wasn’t that bad, I expected it to be more difficult. Can’t believe I almost missed three hours of sleep for a simple test. My morning was great by the way! Mom made pancakes with strawberry for breakfast, and my dad stayed a little longer to celebrate, because he always set off to work really early in the morning. My mom also said that my brother was coming home for the two next days! Dad would be home early today too, I think he said he would be home before I was finished in school for the day. 

On my way home, I notice a big white van standing parked outside our house, weird. 
“I’m home!’’ I open the door and I see my mom and dad sitting in the couch, talking to two men I haven’t seen before.
They stop talking whatever they were talking about, and turn towards me.

The first man has black hair swept to his left side, probably with hair gel. The weird thing about him is the thick, horizontal blood red stripe over his eyes. The second man has brown hair with a messy bowl cut, and small glasses hanging loosely on his nose bridge. Both of them is wearing only white, but the second man is wearing a lab coat, he must be a doctor of some sort.

“Jungkook! Come over here, we have someone we would like you to meet.’’ my father says, gesturing to the two men. I walk slowly with caution towards my parents and the two men. The one with the blood red stripe over his eyes watch me curiously as I move forward, and I look at him back with the same curious eyes, only with more suspicion. 

I sit down in the couch between my mom and dad, and it is an awkward silence.
“Jungkook, this is professor Khang, and his boss Mr. Ryong.'' my mom says gesturing to the man in the lab coat, then to the man with the stripe.

''Hello Jungkook. You must wonder why we’re visiting you on your birthday right?'' professor Khang ask me.

“How do you know it’s my birthday today?’’ This was highly suspicious, and very creepy. Two men you haven't met doesn’t just happen to know your birthday by coincidence!

“We have been keeping an eye on you for a while because we suspected that you may be a little more special than others.’’ This time it’s Mr. Ryong who speaks.

I turn my head towards my mom with clear worry in my eyes, but she only repay my look with her own that says “relax, nothing to worry about.’’ and I relax a little bit. I’m still suspicious of these guys though.
“Our suspicion was right, we know about your ability to control earth, Jungkook. You don’t have to hide it from us now since we already know.’’ 

I don’t say anything, one half because of shock, and the other because I feel he wasn’t done talking. I was right as Mr. Ryong continues. 
“If you want to proof then, what if I said that there are others like you, and if you come with us, then we can help you learn to control your powers.’’