My Friend

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yoona’s POV

I was in a foreign land with the feeling of complete uncertainty in my heart. I didn’t know how to feel about my situation, and I didn’t know why I felt so compelled to leave—especially to a different country. I understood English, but it took me a while to speak the language. I went on a plane on my own without a single word to my husband or members, and I was on my way to someone I held dear to my heart. I pulled my luggage out of the trunk of the taxi with help from the driver. I paid my fare, and the taxi swiftly pulled away from the curb. I stared at the storefront to a cute little bakery as I took a deep breath.

I stepped inside the bakery, and from the looks of it, the place had just opened for the day. I saw a pair of familiar eyes glance at me, and then a smile appeared on her face. My mother made her way away from behind the counter so that she could hug me. She walked up to me with open arms and a warm smile.

“My daughter!” she cried out, “Come in! You should have told me that you were coming so I could have prepared the guest bedroom.”

I chuckled, “It’s okay, mom. I can just book a hotel somewhere.”
“No daughter of mine will stay in a hotel alone when I have plenty of spare rooms!” she shook her head, “Let me call my assistants to come into the shop early so that I could go out and have breakfast with you. We have a lot of catching up to do.”

I nodded as she reached for her phone and called up her employees. I stared at the walls to the bakery and was in complete shock that she had articles framed on the walls. There were articles about my marriage, my awards, and there were photos of me. She really did keep track of me through the media. I grew up thinking that she didn’t care about me, but I guess I was wrong. My mother finally hung up the phone and took my hand.

“Let’s have some breakfast, my dear,” she nodded, “I know the perfect place.”

____________________________________________________

Taeyeon’s POV

Jiyong was a madman! I could not believe that he was able to convince Lee Sooman to give me a solo album after the post that I had publicized. I thought I would be yelled at and insulted by my company, but instead, they emailed me plans for a solo album after I gave birth and lost the extra baby weight. Jiyong said that this was my way of redeeming myself, and I was taking this seriously. The Big Bang members were at our place, and they were discussing what to do about their concerts. I knew that they weren’t blaming me, but I felt like it was my fault that their tour was put on an indefinite pause. I was the one who revealed the truth about Jiyong and me. I should have at least discussed this with the other SNSD and Big Bang members.

“Taeyeon ah, don’t worry,” Youngbae smiled at me, “It’s not good for your baby. Besides, we’ve been wanting you to reveal your relationship.”
I frowned, “But what if SNSD and Big Bang are affected? What if our groups can’t recover from this? Once they know about Jiyeon…I’m afraid they will no longer support the groups.”
“If you think that I care more about keeping Big Bang active than my future goddaughter, then you are wrong,” Youngbae assured me.

I saw Seungri and Daesung’s eyes light up with surprise as they joined in on the conversation. Jiyong told me that the members were very excited that I was pregnant. They said that they were going to treat Jiyeon like she was their real niece, and I was glad that my daughter would be surrounded by loving people. A lot of people would have blamed me if they were in Big Bang’s position. Big Bang was a group that stood strong for over a decade, and my pregnancy jeopardized that.

“Excuse me! I will be the godfather!” Seungri butted in.

“Nope!” Daesung shook his head, “Seungri, you’re like the worst role model. Jiyeon needs a gentle and kind natured godfather like me!”

Jiyong and I discussed who we wanted to be the godparents, and our decision was unanimous. He had suffered so much for us, and we thought that this was the way we showed our gratitude.

“Actually…” I scratched the back of my head.

Jiyong laughed, “We wanted Seunghyun hyung to be the godfather. We were going to ask him after Jiyeon was born, but the subject came up.”

We stared at Seunghyun, who was staring back at us with widened eyes. I bet he was surprised. Jiyong told me before that Seunghyun was terrified of children. He was afraid of making kids cry, and the only kid who actually liked him was his own nephew. I noticed that Seunghyun had been fairly quiet the whole day. Usually, he was talkative and odd, but he had been extremely quiet and to himself the whole day.

“I-I’d be honored,” a smile finally appeared on his face.

“Great!” I exhaled, “Yoona will be glad to be the godmother. Don’t tell her yet, please. I wanted it to be a surprise.”

Then he fell back to his silent demeanor. I looked at Jiyong and signaled at him to say something. Jiyong finally caught onto my signals and nervously swallowed.

“Hyung…is something wrong? When we invited you to the house, we thought you’d bring Yoona…but you came alone,” Jiyong mentioned.

He didn’t say anything for a little while, but then his eyes met ours as he forced a weak smile on his face. Oh no. Something was wrong. We knew that Yoona was most likely pregnant, but the last I heard of it was that Yoona still had to confirm with her doctor. She still had not told the company, and the only ones who knew were the members.

“We got into a big fight,” he finally admitted, “She left. I dropped her off to the airport last night.”

Daesung’s eyes narrowed, “You let her leave? You even dropped her off?”

“I said hurtful things that I should have not said,” Seunghyun confessed, “I dropped her off to the airport so that I had peace of mind that she was safe.”

“Wait, what did you two fight about?” I asked, “Is it about the pregnancy?”

He nodded slowly, “I was…angry that she was pregnant. I’m really not ready for that—not yet. I told her that this was a mistake. I didn’t mean it, but it just came out of my mouth. I really don’t think I deserve her at this point.”

The boys then tried to give their advice to him. I stayed silent and listened as many thoughts filled my head. This was not how it was supposed to happen. They were supposed to be happy together. They were the selfless couple who gave up everything to give safety to my daughter. They were the ones who deserved the happy ending more than anyone else.

Jiyong and Daesung were telling him to call her and make sure that she had at least landed safely. Youngbae and Seungri were scolding him for saying something as careless as what he had told her. I listened to them, but they were all wrong. This was not how you resolved this. I stood up and slapped Seunghyun in the face hard. He just stared at me with wide eyes that I had just slapped him.

Jiyong gasped loudly as he stood up and held my hands down.

“Yoona is not a mistake,” I argued.

“Taeyeon ah,” Seunghyun begun, “I never said that she was a mistake.”

I shook my head, “No! You don’t get to speak. You listen to me right now. Yoona is not a mistake, and you are not a mistake. What she has growing inside of her is life! It is life made by Yoona and you, and that baby is not a mistake! Everything Yoona gives you is a blessing, and you have to remember that. She could have had anyone in this world, but she fell in love with you. You have to spend the rest of your life convincing her that she made the right decision!”

I was fuming that he had hurt Yoona like that. Yoona was deeply in love with him, and I was so sure that he would take care of her. I didn’t know what got into his head that he would ever say that to her, but that made me so angry. I didn’t know his issues, but he had to sort it out. He had a baby on the way, and he had to grow up because Yoona could not do this on her own.

“Go to her right now,” I ordered.

“Taeyeon, she doesn’t want to see me,” he rebuked, “She’ll kill me if she found out I was a plane to her.”

I snapped, “She doesn’t want to see you, but she needs to see you. She never told you that you couldn’t follow her. You go to where she is now and convince her that you are good enough before she realizes that she can do this thing on her own. You go right now before you lose your family.”

The word family made him pause. Did it not process in his mind that he was building his own family right now? He was going to have a child who was going to love him and look up to him. He was a coward for letting her leave. He should have done everything in his power to convince her that he really did love her and he wanted to fight for their family. Without a single word, he got up from his seat and grabbed his car keys. He made his way out of the house as Youngbae, Seungri, and Daesung gaped at me in shock that I had just told the oldest Big Bang member off.

“What? He had to hear the truth,” I rolled my eyes, “I don’t sugarcoat things like that.”

___________________________

Yoona’s POV

I just had breakfast with my mother, and she was so excited that I had come to visit that she told her employees that she was not going to return for the rest of the day. We went shopping, and then she brought me to her house. She lived in a charming home with a beautiful garden, green grass, and a white fence around the house. It looked as if she had truly put a lot of effort into her home.

Her house was very different from my house with Seunghyun. We had this huge house filled with expensive artwork, luxurious furniture, and large windows that showed us the city, but my mother had a simpler house that made me feel cozy. My mother led me into the house and unlocked the front door.

“I’m so sorry, dear. You’ll have to mind the mess. If I knew you were coming, I would have cleaned this place from top to bottom,” my mother smiled warmly.

I looked around the house to see that it was already tidy enough. What mess was she talking about? I laughed as my mother took my luggage and set it to the side. I finally felt at ease. I knew I didn’t have a close relationship with my mother, but this was a start. With her, I was not a famous celebrity under a microscope. I was her daughter—just her daughter.

My mother was staring at me as if I was the entire world. She interlaced her thin fingers together and pressed her fingers against my lips while she stared at me in awe.

“I’m sorry,” my mother apologized with tears in her eyes, “I just can’t believe you’re here. My beautiful daughter is here. Of course, my happiness would be doubled if your sister came, too, but I understand her. She doesn’t like me, and I don’t want to force her to come back to me. I’m just glad that you’re giving me a second chance.”

As children, my sister’s hatred for my mother was a lot stronger than mine. She despised her for leaving us for her dream. She wanted to open up her own businesses and follow her dream, but my father wanted her to stay at home. He was rich, and she wasn’t; he got custody over my sister and me, and in my eyes, she never tried to contact us again.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter