Sacrifice

ICE & FIRE

Bang

Jessica’s body collided with the tree that was standing in front of them. She sighed tiredly. She was in a lot of pain. She looked at her white shirt that was now turning red from all the blood that was dripping from her wounds. Speaking of wounds, she felt stinging pain all over her back. Tiffany had been stabbing her back on the same place over and over for the past hours. Her wound was opened and hurt so bad that she wanted to scream if only she had energy to do so. She looked up when she sensed that Tiffany was getting closer to her again. Jessica crawled in a pathetic attempt to get away from Tiffany only to cried out in pain when the fabric of her shirt rubbed against her wounds. From the corner of her eyes, she saw Tiffany drew another one of her knife out. Jessica flipped her body and groan as her back hit the ground. She tried to form ice around herself but her power didn’t seem to work. She tried again and again as Tiffany got closer.

" Ah ah ah I wouldn’t do that if I were you. ” Tiffany said as she crouched down beside her.

“ Wh…why? ” Jessica tried to voice out her question from her dried out throat.

“ You see this thing right here? I put into your body in order to block your power. ” Tiffany replied as she held up a short blade that was glowing green.

“ Do...don’t ”

“ I thought we are already over this begging thing. Don’t worry, you won’t be suffering for that long.” Tiffany presented an evil grin on her face as she drew the blade along Jessica’s back.

“ Now this may end everything. ” Jessica closed her eyes, she prayed to whoever up there that this last attack won’t end her life so soon.

“ Tiffany stop!!! ” Wendy and Joy who had just arrived at the scene looked at Jessica in horror.

“ What are you doing??? She will die. ” Joy screamed as she looked at the blade in Tiffany’s hand.

“ Well that’s the plan. ” Tiffany said

“ Wait, you can’t do that. ” Wendy tried stall for time.

“ Look humans, this is clearly none of your business. Now scram.”

“ No, Irene unnie has something to discuss with you. ”

“ Amusing, but I have nothing to discuss with her. ”

“ You are here to look for something. She knows where it is.” Wendy said way too calmly that it scared Joy. Tiffany stood up and walked toward them. The two humans walked backward too scare to even look right into the pair of green eyes.

“ How can I trust any of you? How can she know what I want? ” She looked at Wendy who kept shifting her eyes everywhere else away from her face then turned to Joy who was shivering in fear.

“ Can’t answer? Figured. ” She said and made her way back to Jessica.

“ W…we told the truth. That is Irene unnie’s power. She can read people’s intention. ” Joy replied rather timidly.

“ Fine, I’ll give her a chance. ” said Tiffany. She walked up to Jessica who was going in and out of her consciousness and grabbed her shirt collar. She closed her eyes and disappeared from the place.

“ What the. They’re gone! ” Joy said and turned to Wendy who was as white as a paper.

" Unnie, are you okay? ” She asked in concern after checking her own shivering hands.

“ I’m fine. Let’s go, we have a long walk back. ” They turned around and started walking. Drat, they should have brought Wendy’s car. In the mid of worrying about Jessica, they forgot how far it is from their cave to everywhere else in the Nation.

 

The Cave

 

“ What take them so long? ” Yeri said while walking back and forth from restlessness.

“ Relax Yeri, they will find them. ” Irene stood up from the sofa and held Yeri still by the shoulder. It was a lie that she told Yeri to be relax because she herself couldn’t do it. One, she was worrying about Wendy and Joy, they are only humans and who know how dangerous Tiffany can be. Two, what if Tiffany wouldn’t agree to come and see her. She had to at least talk to her in order to convince her to spare Jessica’s life. Three, she afraid that she couldn’t keep her promise to Seulgi, the only favor that Seulgi had ever asked from her.

 

Flashback

 

“ Ahhhhhh !!! ” Irene jolted up from her sleep and turned to Seulgi who was thrashing around in her sleep and screaming her lung out. She put her hand on her shoulder and shook her up.

“ Seulgi! Seulgi wake up! ” She sighed in relief upon seeing Seulgi’s open eyes.

“ Are you okay, hon? You were screaming in your sleep. ” Seulgi looked terrified and scared. Irene couldn’t help but hate to see her so vulnerable. She pulled her into her arms and patted her head. Seulgi rested her head deeper into her neck seeking more of her warm embrace.

“ It was really bad. ”

“ Is it just a dream or a vision? ” Irene hated this. She hated to ask, she hated it more when the answer from her was

“ It was a vision. ”

“ What was it about? ”

“ I was stabbed in the back so many times by someone and the pain… the pain felt so real. It felt like someone was skinning me alive. It’s hurt… I’m… scared. ” Seulgi cried out, remembering the pain. She felt like she was dying and leaving Irene.

“ Shhh it’s okay, I won’t let that happen to you. ” Irene kissed her forehead and her hair trying to calm her down.

“ Do you know who it was? ” Irene asked after sensing that Seulgi was calming down.

“ I couldn’t make out their faces, but I understand one thing. Joohyun, you must save them. ” Seulgi said

“ How? I have no idea who they are. Beside how can I help them? I can only read their intentions. ” Irene asked finding it ridiculous of the idea that she had to save someone who she had never met once.

“ You will know when the time comes. Joohyun you’re the only one who can save them. ”

“ Seulgi why are you talking like you’re going to leave me? I hate this, I’m scared of the thought of not having you by my side. ” Irene started to choke up, she never wanted Seulgi to see her cry. She let go of Seulgi and got up from their bed but were pulled back down into the familiar arms.

“ Joohyun look at me. This is not the time for this. These people are important. Everything will fall down. When the world get consumed by greed, they are the only people who can defeat it. ” Irene looked at Seulgi’s eyes, there were no longer fear and vulnerability. They showed determination.

“ Can we just live like everyone else? Seulgi can you please be selfish for once? If they have greed, let them take everything. I just want to be with you in peace. ” Throwing herself in Seulgi’s arms, Irene begged her for the nth times.

“ This is what I was put in this world to do. While everyone else have the ability either in combat or intellect, I was born with the ability that others considered as a curse. When my siblings got into the palace with high rank positions, my parents kicked me out and threw me in the barrack. I spent my life growing up alone telling myself that my power is not a curse and as long as I live, I would never stand aside while others suffer. Joohyun, if I can’t use this ability to save anyone, I shouldn’t be alive. ” said Seulgi, her voice wasn’t even shaken, the fact showed that she was numbed from all the pain that she had been living with all her life. Irene was surprised. Seulgi had never told this story to her before. She had always known that Seulgi had no family. That is why when Joy and Yeri’s parents got killed, they ran away from the human nation all the way here. Seulgi was the only one who took them in.

“ Will you promise me that you will do whatever it takes to save them? ” Seulgi asked bringing Irene back from her thoughts. Irene smiled and grabbed a hold of Seulgi’s hands. If this is what Seulgi was put in this world to do, then she is happy to comply. After all Irene herself was put in this world to love Seulgi.

“ I promise. ”

 

Flashback End

 

Bang

 

The sound of someone crushed into something startled Irene and Yeri. They ran up to the cave’s entrance to see the commotion only to witness Tiffany standing infront of them with Jessica lying lifelessly on the dust filled ground.

 

“ Jessica !!! ” Both of them shouted in shock staring at the horrible image infront of them.

“ Now tell me the damn offer, I have no time nor patient to wait longer. ” Tiffany said and walked up to Irene. Yeri stepped back clearly aware and afraid of her power, while Irene still stood tall and showed no side of fear.

“ I’ll tell you after you let Jessica go. ” Irene said trying to show a strong front even though in her mind, she wasn’t sure if Jessica was still alive.

“ You present a pretty firm deal but I give you a better one. ” Tiffany replied as she made her way back to Jessica. She took out her blade and ran it down Jessica wounded back like she was an artist admiring her masterpiece. It was sadist. Jessica flinched everytime the sharp point touch her open wounds. That was the only evident that Irene could assume that she was still alive.

“ I was told that you can read my intention but I doubt that you really know what I’m looking for. Beside, I’m not planning on keeping her alive. Since she will die anyway, why don’t we make a better deal? I won’t kill your human pal if you answer my question. ” Tiffany turned to Irene and pointed the sharp blade at Yeri who was cowering in fear. She looked at Irene’s hesitated eyes and grinned in victory. Figured. She looked at them one last time and swung the blade toward Jessica ready to end her misery.

“ Wait! What you’re looking for is a flower that is only blooming at this time of year. I’m not the only one who know where it is. Do you really want to waste your time here? And that blade in your hand, you only have two of them. Do you really want to waste the last one on Jessica? ” Tiffany looked at her blade and made it vanish. She walked into the force field and pulled Irene toward her by her neck.

“ Unnie!!! ” Tiffany glared at Yeri’s direction to keep her quiet. The young girl didn’t know what to do at this point. What if Irene get hurt? She looked down and kept mum when Irene signaled her to be quiet.

“ Where is it? ” Tiffany looked around before whispered the question to Irene.

“ It’s in the Earth nation but there is no way you can get there without getting caught. There are officers everywhere guarding in and out exit of each nation. ”

“ Then how can I get in? ”

 

Ring Ring

 

The siren came off in the cave indicated that there was danger heading their way. Yeri ran into the room to check their security cameras. She was shock to see five police cars coming their way.

 

“ Unnie! The officers are coming! ” Tiffany looked at Irene and tighten the grip on her neck.

“ You set this up? ” Irene grabbed her hand trying to loosen the grip.

“ I…didn’t. The entrance is in Joy’s room. Go through the door, you will arrive in the Earth palace. The flower is in the sacred garden, its entrance is in the Ruler’s bedroom. Go! Now! ” Tiffany looked at Jessica. She needed to finish her mission before she left but the cars’ sounds are getting closer. She had no more time to lost. She let go of Irene and drawn her blade out again.

“ I can always kill her next time. ” She mumbled to herself before dashing into Joy’s room. Irene sighed in relief, Jessica is still alive at least for now.

“ Yeri go and get Jessica in here. ” Yeri looked at Irene as if she had gone insane.

“ Are you crazy unnie? She won’t be able to get out, she is not Tiffany. ”

“ I know, just do it. ”

“ We can’t ”

“ Kim Yeri, if you don’t do it, I’ll go through the force field and get her myself. ” Irene said. Yeri looked at Irene in disappointment. She really had gone insane. She bended beside Jessica and put her arm on her shoulder.

“ This will hurt but please endure it. ” She took deep breath and stood up bringing Jessica with her. Jessica hissed in pain, she wished she was dead at this point.

“ Bring her into your room. No matter what happens, don’t come out. ” Yeri nodded and both of them disappeared into the room just in time the cars arrived. Irene calmed herself down and sat back down on her sofa.

“ Bae Irene ” One of the officer called out her name as soon as she got out of her car.

“ What bring you here, Officer? ” Irene said but didn’t bother to get out of her comfy sitting.

“ Oh you know what it is. Where is she? ”

“ Who? ”

“ Don’t waste my time, Bae. Where is Jessica Jung??? ” The officer screamed at her.

“ I have no idea what you’re talking about. Do you think the Ice Princess would be anywhere near me after what happened to my family? ”

“ Ah right, Kang Seulgi. Poor thing. You should learn your lesson, Bae. Tell us what we want to know before I kill you too. ”

“ I told you the truth. ”

“ Really? Then is this Kang’s blood? ” The officer said and pointed at the ground that was filled with Jessica’s blood.

“ This is a forest. Animals tend to fight each other over food or territories. Not much different from us. ”

“ You’re messing with the wrong person, Bae. Guys! ” The officer shouted and all the guns are pointing at Irene. She got up from the sofa and stood just an inch before touching the force field.

“ No need to be pointing those things at me. If you don’t believe me, why don’t you step foot in here and check for yourself. I give you my full permission. ” Irene said and gestured them inside. The officer looked around her trying to find the other to go in her behalf but no one dare to step up.

“ Boss, the phone is for you. ” one of the officer walked up to the boss and handed her the phone. She picked it up and started talking.

“ Yes yes I’ll be there. Alright duty call everyone. ” She hung up the phone and gestured them to go.

“ Save by the bell huh? ” Irene chuckled at her. The officer threw her a glare before got in the car and drove off. Irene sighed in relief for the second time today. She ran into Yeri’s room to check on Jessica.

“ How is she? ”

“ She doesn’t look good. She lost too much blood. ” Yeri said and turned to Jessica who barely moving. It looked like her life was hanging by a thread.

“ Unnie ! ” Both of them startled by the voices outside.

“ Joy! Wendy! ” Irene ran and hugged them relief that they were okay. She let go of the hug when she saw a figure standing behind them.

“ Who is she? ”

“ Oh we met her on the way here. She is here to find Jessica. ” Wendy said

“ Hey I’m Seohyun, I would go closer but they told me not to step foot into the cave. I’m here for Jessica, is she here? ” Irene was about to reply when everyone screamed in shock at Jessica’s state. Yeri brought her out of her room because she didn’t think Jessica could survive.

“ Unnie, she is dying. We have to do something. ”

“ Oh my god, Jessica!!! ” Seohyun looked at the scene in front of her in shock. She should have come faster. In the mid of everything, she forgot about the force field and about to step in but got pushed back by Joy before she could step her foot in.

“ You can’t get in there. ” Joy said trying to hold Seohyun back.

“ Let me in, I can save her. I’m a healer. ”

“ We can’t, if you got in, we all are doomed. Now please calm down. ”

“ Unnie what should we do? ” Wendy asked Irene who stayed quiet for too long.

“ Unnie she is dying. ” Irene looked around between Joy who was holding Seohyun tight, Yeri who was crying while Wendy was hugging her trying to calm her down. She walked up to Seohyun and gestured Joy to let go of her.

“ Seohyun is it? Are you sure you can save her? ”

“ I can as soon as I can get near her. ”

“ Good, I’ll get her out. ” Irene said before walking back to Jessica.

“ Wendy! Joy! Pick Jessica up. As soon as I walk through the force field, you get Jessica out. You got it? ” Their eyes widen as they heard of her plan.

“ Unnie no ” Yeri cried out

“ You will lost your power. ” Wendy said

“ You will stuck in here forever. ” Joy tried to reason with her. Irene chuckled. To hell with it, it is a useless power anyway.

“ I promise Seulgi that I’ll do everything to save Jessica. I may not be able to save the love of my life but I will not break my promise. ” Irene said before any other protest could come out, she threw herself into the force field.

“ Arggggg ” Irene screamed when her body collided with the power and electric started running through her veins. She could feel all of her powers where draining from her body and she felt like she was getting weaker and weaker. Seohyun saw this and tried to heal her to at least lesson her pain but the force field exploded and pushed her out. Wendy looked at Yeri and Joy who were shaking like a leaf. She grabbed Jessica and ran passed the force field. As soon as Jessica out, Seohyun ran toward her and started healing her but stopped when Jessica grabbed her hand.

“ We don’t have much time. You have to find the crystal and go. ”

“ No, you’ll die. ”

“ The crystal is with me. ” Wendy said and took off the necklace that was hidden behind her button up shirt.

“ Thank you, Wendy. Seohyun take it and go. ”

“ No I’ll take you with me. ”

“ You can’t drive and heal me at the same time. Go! ”

“ I’ll drive you guys there. ” Wendy suggested

“ What about Irene? ” Jessica said, she can’t let her die because of her.

“ The force field is her power dry, she won’t die. She will become weak. ”

“ But ”

“ Look Jessica, Irene unnie did this for you to survive. I have to make sure that you are. Now let’s go. ” Wendy said and gestured Seohyun to help her getting Jessica into her car. Jessica looked at Irene one last time before the car took off. How many people have to scarifice themselves because of her? No matter what it takes, she will make sure to bring Seulgi back to her family.