EIGHTEEN

Moments of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

After that, they tried to sober up Dara by having her drink lots of water and feeding her. TOP hoped that if Dara sobered up enough, he could convince her to either stay with Jiyong or Bom. Right now she's still insisting that she wants to go back to her place.

As for Dara, currently, she's a happy drunk. She's holding on to both men's assurance that she and Jaejoong were friends again so she was more than happy enough to obey when they ask her to eat or drink.

TOP and Jaejoong haven't spoken about what happened earlier. Agreeing silently that they should table the discussion for now and just focus on Dara. They were talking about Big Bang's next album when Dara tried to stand up.

"What's wrong? Do you want to throw up?" TOP asked in panic. "Just hold it in a bit."

"Tabi." Dara called his name sweetly. "I just need to pee."

"Wait. Just wait." TOP told her in panic. "I can't let you go alone! Aisht. What do I do?"

Jaejoong just slid from the booth giving Dara space to get out. Dara quickly did that and smiled her thanks to him. He held on to her elbow and asked, "How are you feeling? Would you be able to do it on your own?"

Dara smiled mischievously and asked him in what she probably thought was a whisper but actually wasn't, "If I can't, will you help me again? Oooops. We can't tell Tabi that. He'll be mad at us."

Dara giggled as Jaejoong just closed his eyes, praying for strength for himself and understanding for TOP.

"Come on. I'll help you to the restroom. I'll wait for you outside the door, okay?" Jaejoong spoke to her gently. Experience taking over his reluctance at spilling any more of their secrets in front of TOP. Dara nodded and reached out her hand towards Jaejoong, waiting for him to take it.

TOP stood up quickly and took her hand. "Maybe I should take her? Just relax, Jae. We'll be back."

Jaejoong nodded and took a sip. "Seunghyun, just.. She doesn't lock the door from inside.. So just stand guard.. She'll call you if she has any trouble."

TOP nodded quickly led Dara towards the restroom.

Jaejoong stared at their retreating backs and drained his drink. He closed his eyes as he waited for the alcohol to take effect. The night is turning out far differently from what he expected. He thought they'd have a few drinks, they'd talk about projects and he and Dara would spend much of the night in awkwardness as they tried to pretend they didn't know as much about each other as they actually did.

He thought Dara would stick to soda and food. He underestimated her affection for TOP and TOP's powers of persuasion. That man could sell water to a mermaid.  He sighed as he poured another glass of brandy for himself. He tried to recall the details that Dara inadvertently spilled and tried to figure out what he was going to tell TOP. He could put it all on Dara, say that it's up to her to share the details. 

Would that be ungentlemanly? He mused. But if I told him what we were, that's like kissing and telling isn't it?

He broke out of his musing by his companions' return. Dara entered the booth first and sat close to him. "I threw up." She told him.

"So you feel better now?" He asked her even as he moved a little bit away from her.

She hummed. "Are you and Tabi going to take me to eat ramen now?"

Jaejoong saw TOP raise his eyebrow at Dara's words. "I.. We.. She.. Uhm. Dara likes to eat ramen after she throws up the alcohol."

TOP nodded. "How about we get out of here and we'll buy you ramen?"

Dara's brows furrowed in concentration as she considered TOP's words. "You'll get the one I like?" She asked him. TOP looked briefly at Jaejoong who just nodded. "Sure. We'll get it for you as long as you agree that you can't go home alone."

"Okay." Dara agreed.

"Really?" TOP clarified. "So do you want to stay at Bom's?"

"Nope." She answered.

TOP frowned at her. "But you agreed, remember?"

"You can come with me." She told them as she closed her eyes and settled deeper into the cushions of the booth. "I want to sleep in my bed."

TOP started to argue when Jaejoong stopped him. "Just agree. We'll feed her then sober her up enough so she can sleep the rest of the night then you can call her boyfriend." TOP looked like he was still going to argue so Jaejoong continued. "Just believe me okay? She already threw up so once we get some ramen and more water in her, she'll feel comfortable enough to sleep soundly."

"I'm worried about Jiyong." TOP confessed quietly to his friend. He didn't know the whole story and he didn't know how much Jiyong knew but he felt it in his gut that if handled carelessly, his brother would get hurt somehow.

Jaejoong's breath caught in his throat. He coughed a little and took a sip of his drink. He looked away before answering, "Unless he wakes her, she won't say anything else."

After TOP finally agreed, Jaejoong offered to call Yoochun to come pick them up. "We'll just pick up Dara's ramen on the way to her place."

TOP nodded. After Jaejoong made the call and informed him that Yoochun was on his way with Junsu who will be taking Jaejoong's car, TOP looked at Jaejoong seriously. "We need to talk about this."

Jaejoong nodded. "I'll tell you some of it. The parts that are mainly about me. The rest of it, you have to take it up with her. I won't spill her secrets. If she wants you to know, she'll tell you."

"Fair enough." TOP acknowledged.

__________________________________

 

The males got Dara home successfully and discreetly. Jaejoong wanted to leave as soon as they got her home, but TOP's look of panic when he expressed his intention stopped him.

Obviously, TOP had no idea how to handle a drunk Dara. Later on he found out why, "When she drinks with us, Jiyong is always with her so he takes care of her and stuff. When Jiyong drinks, Dara doesn't. They basically take care of each other. I mean we all look out for each other and we don't let anyone get hurt or something.."

"I get it." Jaejoong told him as he settled Dara on the dining table with the ramen in front of her. She waited patiently as Jaejoong served up the ramen, not really moving even when Jaejoong went to the kitchen and got her a bottle of water. He opened the water bottle and placed it in front of her. "There you go."

Dara gave him a tired smile and started eating. She raised the bowl and took a sip of the broth. "Aren't you eating?"

Jaejoong shook his head. "I'm leaving in a bit. I just want to make sure you're okay before I go."

Dara's expression fell. "But you won't forget we're friends again now, right?"

"Of course not." Jaejoong assured her. Dara looked at him for a moment before going back to eating.

TOP was watching them silently. He saw how gentle Jaejoong was with Dara and how Dara seemed to trust him. The fact that he knew how to take care of her when she's like this speaks volumes about their relationship. Their actions indicate familiarity. It's like they've been through this so many times before, they each know what to do every given moment.

They waited for Dara to finish eating. Once she did, she announced that she wanted a shower. Jaejoong asked her if she was up to it and when she insisted that she was, he studied her for a moment before nodding his head. He turned to TOP, "You need to stay in her bedroom or at least near it. She'll call if she needs you or if she can't, you'll hear her if she falls."

"I don't want to stay in her bedroom while she showers. That's creepy!" TOP protested, horror coating his voice. "You do it!"

"Okay." Jaejoong replied easily, already anticipating TOP's next move.

"Aaargh. Fine! I'll do it." TOP let out a resigned sigh. He looked at the ceiling and muttered, "The things I do for you, Kwon Jiyong."

Jaejoong smiled in spite of himself. TOP really is a good friend. To him, Jiyong and Dara. 

Evidence one: He's been taking care of Dara since she got drunk. Regardless of his shock about the things Dara revealed, he was never impatient with her .

Evidence two: He hasn't punched Jaejoong yet. He is giving Jaejoong and Dara the benefit of the doubt. He hasn't judged them yet.

Evidence three: He wants to protect Jiyong even though he has no idea from what or why. Although he hasn't judged them, he knows something is up and he probably doesn't want to make things worse.

He's obviously torn. He wants to protect all three of his friends but has absolutely no idea how. Jaejoong cocked his head to the side as he listened to TOP speak with Dara.

After a few minutes, TOP came into the living room. "She wanted me to remind you to remember that you're friends again now."

Jaejoong breathed a laugh at the tenacity of the girl. She hasn't changed. She'd never give up on someone she feels is worth it. And yet, he reminded himself, she gave up on us just like that.

"I'm leaving now." Jaejoong told TOP. "We'll talk soon. Just let me know when."

TOP nodded and followed Jaejoong to the door. Yoochun decided to just wait for Jaejoong in the car, preferring to avoid what was clearly an awkward situation. "Thanks, man. I'll see you soon."

Once the door closed behind Jaejoong, TOP took out his phone. He chuckled upon seeing the number of notifications in their group chat. As expected, YG Family has a lot of things to say about their outing.

There were two missed calls from Jiyong and a text message from him asking if they're taking Dara home. He sat down on Dara's couch as he dialed Jiyong's number. Jiyong must have been waiting for his call since he answered almost immediately.

"Hyung." Jiyong greeted over the phone. "How is Dara getting home?"

"Actually, she's home already." TOP answered. "Yoochun picked Jae up and he dropped me and Dara off at her place. I'm here now."

"Can you ask her why she isn't answering her phone?"

"Oh, ." TOP cursed.

"What? What?"

"I left Dara's phone in Jae's car." He told Jiyong. "I confiscated it after you called and put it there. I guess we forgot. I'll get it back."

"Okay. Can I speak with her?"

"Uh, she's asleep." TOP craned his neck to check on Dara, listening for any sound from her bedroom. "She kinda got drunk and so I had to bring her home and put her to bed. Can you come over? I really don't want to leave her alone."

"She's drunk?" Jiyong's voice grew worried. TOP could hear some rustling on the other end of the line. "And she's already asleep? Did she throw up already? She needs to throw up-"

"Dude. Chill." The older guy interrupted his rant. "She threw up at the pub then we fed her ramen and kept her hydrated, so I think she's okay. She ate, showered and is now sleeping blissfully."

"I'll be there in three." Worried boyfriend to the core.

"Three minutes?! Kwon Jiyong you live at least twenty minutes away! Don't you dare speed you idiot!"

"Hyung." Jiyong chuckled. "I'm touched you're so concerned with my welfare. Actually, I was already out when you called. I was driving around waiting for Dara's call so I could pick her up."

"Stalker." TOP teased without heat once he found out that his friend wasn't breaking any speed limits.

"I was getting antsy just waiting.. Oh wait up, I'm entering the parking space. I'll see you in a bit hyung."

TOP heard the beep signalling that the line was dropped. He remained seated for a while as he tried to organize his thought. He was about to go to the door when he realized he had no way to get home.

"Crap."

"Don't you mean hello?" Jiyong asked as he closed the door behind him.

"You need to drive me home." TOP ordered.

"I can't leave Dara." Jiyong answered simply as he made his way to check on his girlfriend.

"I can't call a cab from here. It would be on the news in the morning." TOP scrolled through his phone checking if any of his friends were still active.

"Just stay here. There's a guestroom. I'm sure Dara won't mind."

"Nah. Daesung's still at the company but he's on his way home, I saw his last chat in our group. I'll ask him to pick me up since he's going my way." He called Daesung and did just that. Daesung agreed and told TOP that he'll call him when he gets to Dara's. When he turned back to Jiyong, he found his cleaning up the ramen Dara ate earlier.

"Good thing you fed her ramen. How did you know that's what she needed?" Jiyong asked him, curiosity clearly heard on his voice.

TOP froze. His eyes opened wide in panic as he thought of what to say. "Uh.. She asked for it!" TOP said triumphantly. "After she threw up and when I was convincing her she can't stay here alone."

"She wanted to stay here alone?"

'Well. Not exactly." TOP hedged. "I asked her if she wanted to stay with you or Bom but she said she wanted to sleep on her own bed."

Jiyong nodded. "Yeah. She gets all needy and fussy when she's drunk. I think that's why she doesn't do it often. You know her, she hates it if she feels people are being burdened because of her. How did you convince her to drink?"

"I'm not sure. One minute we were talking and she was sipping cola, the next thing I remember we were doing shots."

"Tequila?" When TOP nodded, he grimaced. "She's a talkative drunk! She once recounted the Harry Potter series in detail to me when she was drunk. Of course, she also talked about the differences between the books and the movies and how she felt about it. She also asked me if I thought she could still pass of as Hermione if ever someone does a Korean remake or if I thought she'd have to audition for a Professor role. Or Tonks. I clearly remember she doesn't mind being Tonks."

"Yeah, I saw that tonight." TOP admitted. "How come I don't remember her being like that when we drank together before? I know she gets all smiley and pouty, but I didn't realize she loses her filter when drunk."

Jiyong shrugged. "Dunno. Maybe she was talking to the girls and you just didn't notice that she's doing most of the talking. Or maybe you were also drunk by that time? I hope you noticed that when Bom noona gets really drunk it's a toss up between wild, crazy party girl and the silent, sulking drunk."

"That would be hard to miss." TOP chuckled. "I don't know which I prefer, she's scary when she's silent. It's like one wrong move and she's going to punch you."

Just then, TOP's phone rang. Daesung was calling to inform him that he was already waiting for him. TOP said his goodbyes. "I'll call Jae about Dara's phone."

Jiyong followed him to the door. "G'nyt, hyung. Thanks for taking care of my girl."

TOP just offered a quick wave and walked as fast as he could. As if trying to get away from Jiyong's words.

 

 

__________________________________

 

Dara woke up with a groan. She assessed herself and tried to remember what happened. Oh yeah, drinking with Tabi. She groaned again as she tried to bury herself deeper in her bed.

Jiyong chuckled, his warm breath tickling her neck and Dara turned to him in surprise. "Jiyong!"

"Why do you sound surprised? Amnesia again?"

"Yeah. Although I remember the shots." She confirmed. "It'll come back to me later in the day."

"It always does." Jiyong agreed. He leaned closer to her, intending to give her a kiss but Dara blocked him by putting her hand in front of . "What? Why?"

"I don't remember if I brushed my teeth last night." She admitted, her hand still covering . At Jiyong's laugh, she glared. "It's yucky."

"Yucky?" Jiyong asked. "Okay, I'm pretty sure you brushed your teeth. TOP hyung even mentioned you showered.."

"How would he know? And when did you get here?"

"Why? Don't you want me here?" Jiyong pouted cutely. "Didn't you miss me, baby girl? I missed you lots."

"Of course I did. I just want to know how you got here. Or how I got here for that matter."

"TOP hyung said Park Yoochun dropped you and TOP hyung off." He told her. "Oh and your phone is still in Jae hyung's car. TOP hyung's going to get it for you."

"Oh, yeah. That part I still remember. Tabi took my phone after you called."

"I know. I was worried when you weren't answering my calls or messages."

"Ji.." Dara called him. There was a teasing glint in her eyes. "How many times did you call?"

"A few."

"Like three hundred?"

"Of course not." Jiyong protested.

"Tell me. I'll find out anyway." Dara wheedled.

Jiyong reluctantly answered. "More than ten, less than a hundred."

"Stalker." she teased, unknowingly echoing TOP's words.

"Worried boyfriend." Jiyong corrected. "You were with TOP hyung and although I trust him with a lot, I also know how the two of you get when you combine your alien super powers. I wasn't sure if he has kidnapped you and forced you to stare at chairs all night or something."

"Paranoid."

"Yeah. A little bit." Jiyong agreed. "You just never know with TOP hyung. Do you think he gets possessed sometimes?"

"I'll be sure to ask him that when we see each other next time." Dara giggled. Then she suddenly hugged Jiyong's arm to her chest. "Jiiiiiii..."

Jiyong looked at her in amusement.

Dara shook Jiyong's arm and whined. "I'm hungry."

"Makes sense. It's three in the afternoon already." Dara's eyes widened in surprise at the fact that she slept the morning away.

"Feed me!" Dara ordered. "Why are you letting me starve? You don't love me anymore!"

Jiyong shook his head and untangled himself from Dara. He stood up and picked Dara up and put her over his shoulder. Dara shrieked in surprise and started laughing. "Are you throwing me out?" She asked in between giggles. "This is my house, you know."

"I'm going to make you regret how mean you've been to me since you woke up." He announced as he walked out of her bedroom and into the kitchen. Dara raised her upper body enough to be able to see past Jiyong's shoulder and saw that there was a feast on her kitchen counter. All her go-to anti-hangover food was there. She knew if she checked her freezer she's find a tub of her favorite ice cream in it to. Jiyong loosened his hold on her, allowing her to slide down his body. He kept his hands on her waist as he waited for her to speak.

Dara cupped his face in her hands and simply said, "Kwon Jiyong is the best."

That was apparently the right thing to say, since Jiyong's face broke into a wide smile. He gave her a kiss and turned her towards the stools in front of the counter. She took a seat and opened her arms towards him. Jiyong shook his head and stepped into her arms. Dara squeezed him in silent thanks and looked up."You're so good to me."

"I have to be otherwise you'd dump my sorry ." He answered lightly. "I'd lose my inspiration and then I'd go bankrupt."

"You could write sad break-up songs. Or maybe angsty revenge songs." Dara suggested. "You could even do some awesome diss raps."

"I vote we never break up and I'll write all kinds of songs." He countered.

"Sounds like a plan."

The two of them had a leisurely meal that ended with them cleaning up the kitchen together. Afterwards, Dara sent Jiyong to the living room to choose a movie as she prepared their snacks.

She popped some microwaveable popcorn and placed it in a bowl. She was scooping some ice cream when memories of last night started flashing in her brain.

Her looking at Jaejoong asking him why he likes it when she calls him oppa.

Him promising that they were friends again.

Tabi taking her to the restroom.

! Tabi! She dropped the ice cream scooper and groaned. What did I do? What did I say? I need to call Tabi. She moved to get her phone only to realize that she doesn't have it.

She jogged in place, trying to release the tension in her body.

"Babe?" Jiyong called from the living room. "I picked out a movie. Need any help?"

"Ah.. Uh.. Nope." She put her hands on top of the counter as she tried to settle herself. "Be out there in minute. Just scooping up some ice cream."

She breathed in and out a couple of times, before doing just that. She finished scooping out the ice cream on a bowl for her and Jiyong to share, picked up the popcorn, took a deep breath and joined Jiyong.

Upon seeing her, Jiyong rushed to take the tray out of her hands and place it on a table.

"Hey, Ji. Can I borrow your phone?" Dara asked as she sat down on the couch.

"Going to call TOP hyung?" Jiyong asked with a smile as he handed her his phone.

"Uh. Yeah. How did you know?"

"Babe, I know how antsy you get when you feel like you aren't connected to the world." He responded with a smirk.. "Go ahead. Call him. I'll grab us some water."

Dara dialed TOP's number and put the phone next to her ear. She bit her lip nervously as the phone kept ringing. Eventually, the call went to voice mail so she sent him a message: Tabi. This is Dara. Do you have my phone yet? Can we meet up?

There. she thought to herself. Inconspicuous. Innocent. Totally nothing to be worried about.

She put Jiyong's phone down on the table as he came back. "He's not answering. Must be busy."

"Just send him a message." he told her as he sat down next to her, fiddling with the remote.

"I did."  Dara leaned into Jiyong's embrace as soon as he put down the remote. She breathed in his scent and tried to put last night completely out of her mind.

Jiyong smiled as he felt Dara snuggle deeper into him. He maneuvered so he could put the bowl of popcorn on the couch beside him after handing her her bowl of ice cream. Dara kissed his chest in gratitude and forced herself to focus on the here and now.

 

__________________________________

 

Choi Seunghyun parked his car as he contemplated the night ahead. Since setting up this meeting, he's been torn between demanding to know what the hell is going on and the desire to remain blissfully ignorant.

People, fans, friends and haters alike, often . Bingu TOP. Alien TOP. While true that he often spaces out and his love for quality furniture and art is almost as passionate as his love for craft and his girlfriend, it doesn't really mean that he's stupid. He just prefers to focus on the things that matter to him. His job comes with a lot of bull and rather than sorting out the truth from the lies, he just blocks them out.

That leaves his brain more space for his music. Or art. Or wine. Good vintages are really hard to find nowadays.

A lot of people mistake his shyness as aloofness and his awkwardness as cockiness. Just like Dara, he has a hard time letting people inside his circle. Perhaps Dara has more reason to be wary but that doesn't make his introversion any less valid. The unfortunate thing for him and Dara is that despite their inability to immediately open up and connect to people, they love performing. Whether it be singing, dancing, acting. They love it. They crave it. And at times, they hate it. That was why they bonded so easily. Two seemingly disconnected individuals who finally found someone similar to them in the midst of their friendly, outgoing,  boisterous and sometimes overbearing YG Family.

He rapped his knuckles on his steering wheel as he tried to figure out how to approach the upcoming.. confrontation? interrogation? confession? He shook his head and got out of his car after finally deciding on just winging it.

He put his hands inside his pockets and waited for his friend to open the door and let him in.

Kim Jaejoong.

Now here is another puzzle. He knew the struggles his friend went through and he thought that he was there every step of the way. But apparently, he missed a step.. or two.. or ten. Since Dara has obviously been with him on a few of those steps and he had no idea. Their familiarity with each other last night could not have been the product of one or two casual conversations. They knew each other well enough to anticipate each others needs. Or at least Jaejoong knew Dara well enough to know what she needs when she gets drunk.

He's a little ashamed to think that he who calls D

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter