Remnants of a Happy Birthday

The Awkward Neighbours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Happy birthday Young!” Jieun called out as soon as Nayoung walked up to the table. The girls had arranged to meet at a cafe that day.

 

“I already ordered for you!” Jieun enthusiastically told her. “And of course it's my treat today!”

 

Beaming, Nayoung remarked, “Wow, it's my lucky day! To be getting a treat from Hong Jieun, I wonder what good deeds I did in the past!”

 

“Yah!” Jieun playfully slammed the table. “Why are you making me out to be a stingy person?”

 

“Maybe because you are?” Nayoung giggled. “It's my birthday today, you can't do anything to me!” She protested as Jieun suddenly stood up.

 

“Don't worry, I won't!” Jieun replied with a smirk as she continued, “I'm just going to collect the orders. Didn't you hear the buzzer ringing?” She waved the device at Nayoung.

 

“You evil girl!” Jieun grinned when she heard her best friend scolding her as she went to the counter.

 

“Mmm, I see chocolate!” Nayoung’s mouth watered as Jieun came back with a tray.

 

“Yes, obviously I ordered your favourite flavour.” Jieun rolled her eyes.

 

“Thank you, Ji!” Nayoung said in between bites of the cake. She had already begun to eat as soon as Jieun sat the tray down, letting out sighs of appreciation as she chowed down the cake.

 

Jieun smiled at her friend. How easily contented. And now's the time to bring out her present. She couldn't wait to see Nayoung’s expression.

 

“Are you ready for your present?” She asked as she took out a beautifully decorated box from her bag.

 

“Hurry and open it!” Jieun told her best friend excitedly as she handed over the box.

 

Nayoung cautiously opened the box and peered in, only to scream a second later.

 

“OH MY GOSH!! Wha- How- Oh my god. Is this what I think it is?” She pulled out the album from the box, her fingers slowly tracing over the words on the album.

 

Jieun giggled at her reaction. The Infinite members had given more than just signatures; they had also written birthday messages as well, making the album all the more special.

 

Nayoung squealed as she read the messages. Though they didn't address it specifically to her, the fact that there were birthday messages were enough to make her thrilled.

 

“So?” Nayoung asked as soon as she calmed down.

 

Jieun gave her a confused look. “What?”

 

“How did you get their signatures, duh!” Nayoung exclaimed as she stared at the album in adoration.

 

Jieun gulped. She had hoped Nayoung wouldn’t ask. She did however, ponder before if she should tell her best friend the truth. Should she tell another white lie?

 

“I…” Jieun began, her heart beating furiously as she thought about what she was going to say. “I’m actually Howon’s- I mean Hoya’s neighbour.” She looked at Nayoung as she confessed sheepishly.

 

Ultimately, Jieun had decided that she c

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter