Curiosity Kills the Cat

The Awkward Neighbours
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“I didn’t know you were so easily tickled.” Jieun remarked as she recovered from her laughter.

 

“I am NOT easily tickled. It’s just that you were too funny.” Hoya explained himself as he gasped for breath.

 

“Speaking of which, how did our friendship fade off? I don’t remember us being friends in the fifth grade…” Hoya trailed off, his eyebrows furrowed as he tried to recall.

 

However, he chided himself for asking the question when he saw Jieun’s expression turned dark.

 

Jieun looked down as she spoke in a tiny voice, “I think it was the teasing.” She cringed as she remembered the other kids in class making fun of Howon and her, calling them a couple and making kissy faces at them. They didn’t care at first, but the teasing worsened over time and gradually, they started talking less to each other.

 

Hoya frozed as it hit him.

 

“You are right… And it didn’t help that we were in different classes in fifth grade too.” He spoke up after a moment of silence.

 

Jieun nodded and stared at her lap blankly, returning to her quiet self, as if their conversation earlier didn’t exist.

 

“Oh, um, I think we have enough materials for now. Do you want to go off now?” Hoya quickly suggested, not wanting to be stuck in the awkward atmosphere again. He heaved a sigh of relief when Jieun replied. “Okay.”

 

And with that, both of them stood up from their seats. Hoya adjusted his cap again before heading to the cashier, whipping out his card before Jieun could take out her wallet.

 

“You are doing me a favour so my treat today.” He explained when Jieun threw him a questioning look.

 

“Oh, you two are leaving already? If you are continuing your date, I can recommend some places for you! Lots of romantic places for you two to explore around this area!” The employee from before came over to them and gushed.

 

Hoya waved his head in rejection. “Thank you for the offer but it's okay. Let's go, Jieun.” He quickly pulled her out before the employee could respond.

 

“Phew. Let's never come back to this cafe again.” He said seriously. “Such a nosy employee!” He scrunched his nose up. He was surprised when Jieun burst out laughing.

 

“Sorry…” She said in between laughs. “It's just… Your expression!”

 

Hoya stared at her for a second before laughing along. He scrunched up his nose again. “Like this?”

 

She giggled even harder, feeling as though her stomach was going to split from laughing too much.

 

They walked for a distance towards the apartment complex before Hoya asked the question he always had at the back of his mind since he met her.

 

“So… Are you not into K-pop or something?”

 

She looked at him, taken aback by the question. “What makes you say that?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter