Proud | 2min | G | girl!Minho

SHINee Drabble Dump

The capital city of the human kingdom took many weeks for her to reach, travelling with humans who knew not of her language, of who she really was or even caring in to know in the first place. They spoke to her like she wasn’t of much consequence, like she was just another piece of the cargo they were transporting from the elven capital – just like the riches, rare seedlings and fabrics, she was just another peace offering.

 

She had to admit, that while the air smelled of smoke and there was barely a tree to be seen in the human capital, it was still beautiful in its own right and she stared around her, mounted upon her pure white halla stag. Her mount snorted in discomfort, not used to hard stone roads like these, nor the smells and sounds of a city so large and filled with people. She feared she would never be used to it either, the forest being her home since birth, but now a whole world away. People stopped in the streets, turning to stare at the rarity of not only her halla, but herself. Elves hadn’t been seen in human country for many decades and for good reason, that she was there was a commodity for the survival of her clan and all others she now represented. True, she was proud to take the task and stand with her head held high, but she hadn’t wanted it to be like this and she was terrified.

 

Inside the palace itself she was stunned to find how much more beautiful it was, tapestries hanging on the clean polished stone walls, windows wide and open letting in the sunlight, carpet soft and welcoming under her bare feet as she followed behind servants down marble floor hallways to her chambers where she would wait the few days until she would be wed to the prince.

 

Who he was she didn’t know, and wouldn’t know until the day she stepped into the main hall in the palace temple, a place where the humans worshipped a god she did not know nor care to know.

 

And she would be the only elf there. She’d never felt so isolated in her life.

 

 

…………………..

 

 

Minjung had always imagined that on the day of her engagement she would be pleased, that her heart would flutter and she would sweat with nervous joy, but she had felt nothing but utter contempt the day her father informed her of the union that would send her away from home forever. She’d cried into her mother’s skirts for hours that night, not knowing how she could possibly live without the woman who nurtured her, raised her, loved her.

 

When the day of the wedding came she was pulled from bed shortly after the sun rose and fed dry, stale forest fruit. She was then bathed, scrubbed clean in rose scented water, long hair combed so hard it hurt before she was dried and returned to her quarters, left alone wrapped in a thin robe for several hours until the elven maids came to her.

 

The gown they dressed her in was, thankfully, that of an elven princess. It was of a pale gold colour and long, held to her frame from a sweetheart neckline to her hips where it fell to the floor. Over the dress was transparent fabric that was designed intricately with vines, leaves and flowers with sleeves made exclusively of the same fabric and began off her shoulders and had a single strap that looped around her middle finger to keep it in place. Attached to the front of the dress was a cape of sheer transparent fabric that fell from her shoulders and trailed behind her many metres where it ended with more designs like the rest of the dress. Finally, after her hair had been weaved and braided she was presented with a box and told to open it. Inside was the headpiece her mother had worn to her wedding, a piece of jewellery that looked like it had been made from a real butterfly, sparkling in the sunlight. Tears in her eyes, she allowed the maids to place it in her hair.

 

All of their compliments on her appearance didn’t quell the feeling in the pit of her stomach as she fought back the urge to be sick. The last of her freedom would be stripped from her that day and there wasn’t a thing that could stop it.

 

The human prince was handsome, and she had expected as such, but she felt nothing but contempt as she stood before him at the altar, staring into space as the priest spoke over them and the thousands of people who had packed into the temple, all excited for the Prince’s wedding. No one cared for her.

 

“My name is Taemin, by the way.” The Prince spoke, when the ceremony was over and they were in a carriage of their own, returning to the castle. He waved absently to the crowds on the streets, every citizen hoping to get a glimpse at their prince and his bride. “Don’t feel like you need to be formal with me when it’s just the two of us. I-I know you didn’t want this and I have to be honest, I didn’t either, but I don’t see a reason why we can’t get along.” He told her softly, smiling in her direction. “Really, the way this was done… it wasn’t supposed to happen like that. Really, I – ”

 

“Please. Don’t.” Minjung muttered, closing her eyes, a tear falling down her cheek. “I don’t need any more excuses.”

 

Taemin turned to her, ignoring that they were supposed to be waving to the crowd. “I promise you, it’s not an excuse.” He said. “Every day I tried to go see you but my father had some other errand or meeting for me to attend to. Truly, I wanted us to at least be acquaintances before we were married… I know we’re complete strangers but I hope that we can become friends, seeing as where stuck in this together.”

 

Minjung glanced at him for a moment and then merely looked away.