Coffeehouse | Jongkey | PG

SHINee Drabble Dump

 

The air stunk of rotten wood, and Kibum scrunched his nose in distaste. After so long, one would think he’d gotten used to the whole affair, but there wasn’t anything he could really do to keep his stomach from churning. Rifle held up, eyes sharp as he checked through one side of the long abandoned shopfront, Kibum also listened out for anything that wasn’t the soft crunch of shattered glass beneath his and his companion’s boots. After searching through all of the booths and behind each upturned table and chair – not to mention the counter where a large coffee machine was miraculously still intact with a cash register that was open and empty – Jonghyun looked over at Kibum and let out a relieved sigh. “We can stay here tonight.”

 

It was something they’d been looking for since the leaves had started to fall off trees. The weather had only grown colder by the day, and now, snow was falling, making the conditions even more undesirable. Not only for the cold, but it would also be wet. Kibum coughed into his sleeve, keeping his weapon raised. “I’ll check out the back.” He said, walking towards the back rooms of the little café before Jonghyun could do it himself.

 

Vaguely, he heard Jonghyun’s hum before there was the sound of drawers and cupboards being opened. There wasn’t much to be found through the back rooms, except a skeleton and blood splatter so old it just looked like dried mud. Sighing, Kibum went back into the shop front, closing the door behind him. “There’s nothing back there.” He said, finally lowering his weapon to his side, relaxing completely for the first time in days.

 

“I didn’t expect there to be.” Jonghyun commented from behind the counter. “It looks like we’re not the only ones who’ve been here recently.”

 

“Nothing to find?” He asked, coughing again, harder than before.

 

Jonghyun was shaking his head as he stood to his feet, a concerned glance finding its way to Kibum.

 

Swallowing to prevent another cough, Kibum kicked at the dirt and glass at his feet. “.”

 

“We’ll be fine.” Jonghyun stated.

 

Kibum almost rolled his eyes. His companion had the strongest sense of hope he’d ever witnessed, and perhaps it was because Kibum wasn’t so hopeful that they got along so well.

 

Jonghyun caught the way Kibum had looked at him, stepping over to him and gripping his elbow comfortingly. “We will.”

 

Sighing, Kibum nodded, willing himself to believe as unwaveringly as Jonghyun did. “Yeah.” His voice wavered though and Jonghyun’s arms were around him in an instant, strong around his back and a hand firm at the base of his hair.

 

For a long time they stood with arms around one another, Jonghyun raised on his toes a little to comfortably fit his chin on Kibum’s shoulder. “We’ll be okay.” He whispered, his voice barely a breath as he spoke. “And you’ll be okay. I promise. You’ll be fine.”

 

Kibum pressed a kiss against Jonghyun’s ear, nuzzling his nose into the soft hair at the side of his head.