Creature | 2min | G

SHINee Drabble Dump

He’d originally thought of mermaids as the kind found in stories, the size of regular humans but with scales and fins and webbed fingers. So when he’d happened upon the beached whale he hadn’t expected there to be a human body instead of a whale’s head, the orca tail resting just in the water, whole body wrapped and tangled in a net, blowhole tensing and hissing in distress. There were many whales like this during that time of the year, and Taemin usually knew what to do for them, calling for help and then trying to keep the body of the creature dam so it wouldn’t die before other’s came, but… it didn’t seem right to call for help in this instance. Nor would it be wise to run down the beach and rush into action. He didn’t know how distressed this creature was, how it would react to a human touching it, if it would even understand his language, if it could speak. He knew nothing about it.

 

So, Taemin carefully moved down the sand, closer and closer to the creature until it suddenly turned its head, large tear filled eyes falling to his small form frozen on the sand. After a long time staring at one another, Taemin carefully spoke, hoping to somehow soothe the upset creature, to keep himself from being hurt while he tried to help. He wasn’t a fool; he knew what normal orcas were like. “It’s okay. I can help you.” He assured the male creature – if his human physique was any indication, not to mention elongated neck with two prominent adam’s apples. They bobbed as the creature swallowed, then sighed, deep and mournful, before he collapsed on the beach, facing the ocean once more.

 

Though he didn’t know if this was some kind of invitation or not, Taemin continued to carefully walk to the creature, gently touching the black and white skin of the tail. The creature grunted softly, but barely moved. Taemin took in a deep breath and pulled out the small folding knife he kept handy, beginning to cut through the thick net as quickly as he could. He didn’t know if water was essential to this creature as it was to regular whales, but he didn’t want to risk finding out the hard way.

 

He’d moved around to the front of the creature to continue cutting the rope when he realised he was being watched very carefully, piercing black and brown eyes fixed upon him, lips pursed, slightly pointed ears seemingly pressed tighter to the sides of his head. The creature was handsome, which he figured was for the same purpose of the mermaids he’d read about as a child. Beauty was the lure for prey. It was the same in most cases throughout the animal kingdom and he wouldn’t be surprised if it applied with this creature as well. It’s facial features were smooth, rounded, almost soft, his eyes were almost too large, but fit perfectly on his face with long hair fringed over his forehead and down to wave and curl around the base of his neck.

 

Nervous, Taemin his lips – which suddenly seemed exceedingly dry – and turned back to focus on freeing the creature.

 

It was when he’d cut the last rope and threw it off the creature that he was suddenly grabbed in gentle hands, fingers wrapping around his torso and legs to lift him off the sand with absolute ease. A shriek left his lips, scrambling to get a hold on a finger or something to ensure that he wouldn’t be dropped as the creature sat up, eyeing him with curiosity now, rather than suspicion. He turned Taemin upside down with upmost care, observing his legs, touching a fingertip under each foot as if they were the most fascinating things in the world. Then he sniffed at Taemin, pressing the tip of his nose against his chest, feet, and finally his hair, soft lips brushing over Taemin’s face without a worry or care.

 

“You are different.” The creature breathed, frowning in confusion as he looked Taemin in the eye, the human sitting upon his hand like a slightly too large chair. Taemin blinked, stunned at the sudden speech. “Y-you appear like those who wish to harm me and yet… you are not.”

 

Swallowing, Taemin shook his head. “I would never hurt another being.” He insisted, not sure if what he said now would mean he was safe or set for being a meal. “Why else would I cut you free? But, if there are others out there who want to hurt you, you may want to get out of here before they find you here.” He suggested, brushing his hand over the side of the creature’s hand.

 

“But…” The creature looked out over the ocean, sighing again as he lowered his hand, resting it on his lap. “Where would I go?”

 

Taemin followed his gaze and realised that perhaps the tears the creature had shed weren’t because he was beached, but for a far worse reason. “Don’t you have a pod? Or something?”

 

“No…” He replied with a slow, sad shake of his head. “Not anymore.”

 

Bringing his knees to his chest, Taemin looked up at the creature, watching as fresh tears formed there. “I’m sorry.”