New Years | Minkey | G

SHINee Drabble Dump

 

Kibum pouted, blatantly staring daggers at the back of his best friend’s head. He’d been assured over and over again that it would only be a few people. By “a few” he’d assumed it would be him, his friend and his friend’s boyfriend, and maybe one or two other mutual friends. What he’d stepped into though was a full blown party. Streamers and loud music filled the apartment and Kibum couldn’t figure out how they hadn’t been reported on yet.

 

And then he remembered, it was New Years Eve, every other person in the world was partying in some way shape or form.

 

It wasn’t really the big party that he was annoyed with – except that he’d been lied to perhaps – but that from the simple glance over the crowd of people he already knew he was the only person who wasn’t there with someone else. Being single hadn’t been a choice at first and while he enjoyed being a bachelor for the time being, it seemed particularly lonely on New Year’s. Especially when he was so used to holding someone’s hand as the clock struck twelve and welcoming in the year in with a kiss.

 

He hated that he would be the fool standing on his own when that time came, surrounded by happy couples.

 

“Kibum! There’s someone I wanna introduce you to!” Taemin called, his voice a touch too loud as he dragged a taller man behind him.

 

Turning his head, gripping a glass of wine in his hand, Kibum found himself standing in front of an incredibly tall man, dark hair styled back off his forehead and wearing a pair of black slacks with a white button up shirt, tucked in neatly. His face was a little small, but his shoulders were broad and Kibum could tell this was the kind of athletic guy who worked out any time he could. Probably a bit of a meat head, even if he had a cute face.

 

“Kibum, this is Choi Minho, he’s the guy I work with. I told you about him, remember?” Taemin continued, ignoring how embarrassing he was being at mention such a thing. “And Minho, this is Kim Kibum, he’s my childhood friend!”

 

Minho smiled endearingly at Taemin, nodding. “Yeah I remember you telling me.”

 

“Good!” Taemin said with a sound nod before making his way back into the party. “Now you two have fun!”

 

Shaking his head, Kibum sighed. “Well that was embarrassing as hell.”

 

Minho’s laugh was like music and Kibum found himself a little more attracted in an instant. “Taemin had never been the subtle type, though.”

 

“No, he definitely isn’t.” Kibum agreed.

 

Suddenly there was a hand held out to him and Kibum looked at it for a moment before he found his eyes meeting Minho’s. “Let’s start again.” Minho suggested. “I’m Minho, I’m a work friend of Taemin’s.”

 

Kibum smiled, taking Minho’s hand – it was warm and larger than his own, encasing his whole arm with tingles. “Kibum. Taemin and I were neighbours growing up.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you.” Minho muttered.

 

“You too…”

 

“Say…” Minho began, glancing around the party for a moment. “I’m not really feeling this party… do you want to go find a restaurant or something instead?”

 

A sigh of relief fell from Kibum’s lips and he nodded eagerly. “Definitely.”

 

 

. : . : . : . : . : . : .

 

 

“You didn’t have to pay for mine though.” Kibum mumbled, hands in his pockets as they left the restaurant. It hadn’t been expensive exactly, but he’d only just met the guy and to have him pay like he had… it felt incredibly rude of him to accept such a thing.

 

Even if he’d been given no choice in the matter.

 

“Don’t worry about it.” Minho insisted, smiling at him in utter content. “It was a pleasure.”

 

All Kibum could do now was worry about it some more. Not to mention that his initial thought of Minho had been very, very wrong. While Minho had started conversation with sports at first, he’d delved into politics, spoke about his family and his job, asked about Kibum in the most un-creepy kind of way about his family and what he did for work and hobbies he enjoyed. And then proceeded to listen to Kibum ramble on about himself as if the topics were the most interesting things in the world. And it was all genuine as far as Kibum could tell.

 

“Oh…”

 

Pausing, Kibum realised that Minho had stopped, the taller man standing in front of a store where a television was on and playing footage of a party being held in the centre of the city. “What’s going on?” He asked, coming to stand beside him.

 

“I just realised it’s almost midnight…” Minho explained.

 

Kibum checked his phone, noticing it was only five minutes until twelve. “Oh yeah… But, I guess I don’t really care about New Years this year…” He admitted. Minho’s gaze fell to him and Kibum fidgeted with his fingers, feeling the need to explain. “I… It’s been a long time since I’ve been single on New Years.”

 

There was no judgement in Minho’s eyes when Kibum had the courage to look into them, and that relieved him somewhat. “I understand. Well, I’ve never not been single anyway, so I understand the loneliness of it.”

 

“Y…you’ve never had a girlfriend?” Kibum asked, astounded.

 

Minho laughed. “You’re not the first person to find that hard to believe. But, that’s the problem. I’ve only ever attracted girls and to be honest with you, I’m not at all interested.”

 

“Oh…” Kibum muttered, flushing red. “I see…”

 

“So, what is it about New Years you enjoy having a partner around for?” Minho asked, quickly changing the subject back to Kibum.

 

Kibum sighed, but replied. “It’s not so much what I enjoy having them for… but at that party at Taemin and Jonghyun’s… all those couples? I’d be the only one not kissing someone at midnight.”

 

Minho was nodding before Kibum finished. “I understand.” With that said, he held out a hand, offering it to Kibum. Frowning, Kibum hesitantly took his hand from his pocket and slid it again Minho’s, long fingers closing around it. “If you want, I’ll be the one you kiss.”

 

Cheeks were aflame as Kibum tucked his chin towards his chest, staring at their twined hands as he contemplated Minho’s words. “A-are you… sure?”

 

“Yeah, why not?” Minho asked. “I mean, if you don’t mind.”

 

“N-no, I don’t mind…” Kibum muttered.

 

Nearby a clock began to chime, and fireworks exploded in the distance, voices of people cheering meeting them even where they were.

 

“It’s midnight…” Kibum whispered, looking up at the sky where the fireworks were.

 

“Hmm.” Minho replied, gently touching fingers under Kibum’s chin to guide his face back towards him. “Happy New Year, Kibum.”

 

Kibum’s eyes began to flutter shut as Minho leaned in and a smile came to his lips. “Happy New Year, Minho.” He replied just before they shared a kiss.

 

The first of many more to come.