Chapter Eight

Fade Away

Chapter Eight:

Present

"Seungri?" Youngbae called, pushing open the door to the younger man's home, a bag of groceries in one arm, "I've been knocking for like five minutes! Are you in the bathroom?"

Setting the bag on a table, Youngbae looked about the livingroom, feeling uneasy with the silence that greeted him.

"Ri?"

He walked to the bathroom to find the door was open. He scratched his head. The younger man knew that he was coming. He couldn't have just wandered off, he thought as he wandered toward the bedroom. He knocked on the door before he stepped in further, a cold chill ran down his spine.

"Oh, god."

Seungri was curled up on the floor, crying, hands pressed to his head. His face was pale, features contorted it pain. It looked as if he had been trying to get his phone, but it had fallen out of his reach.

Youngbae immediately rushed over and kneeled next to the younger man. He reached out and gently placed his hand on the other man's shoulder, afraid that if he was too rough he would only cause more harm.

The younger man groaned, he opened his eyes, looking dazed, "Hyung?"

That voice, so small, so shaky set Youngbae into motion. He put an arm under Seungri's shoulders, the other under his knees and lifted the younger man into his arms. The maknae immediately curled into him, pressing his face into the older man's chest, hands curling into fists in his jacket.

It terrified Youngbae how light Seungri felt in his hold.

"Hang on," he breathed, carrying Seungri as fast as he could. His only train of thought was to get to the hospital by any means necessary.

-

2007

Seungri was crying, unable to contain the tears that were spilling in an unstoppable stream down his face. Youngbae clutched the younger boy, trying to get him to keep weight off his ankle. The maknae inhaled sharply when they tried to step down a set of stairs.

Unable to handle it any longer, Youngbae pulled Seungri close and picked him up in a bridal carry. He didn't care how embarrassing the position looked, it was the easiest way to get the younger boy off the stage and to the staff so they could get him taken care of.

"So troublesome," he heard Jiyong mutter, but the leader's voice was filled with more concern than anger.

"I'm sorry, hyung," Seungri breathed, teeth gritted in an effort to push the pain away.

"It's okay," Youngbae said.

"Over here! Faster!" Seunghyun and Daesung's voices could be heard down the hall, trying to hurry the staff, to get them to take care of their maknae.

There was a rush of people. Youngbae felt a rush of hands and voices. Then suddenly Seungri was no longer in his arms. The younger boy being carried off, further down the hall and out of sight. Their managers were with them, telling them they had to stay for the conclusion of the show.

"What about Seungri?" Daesung asked, he was glancing down where the younger boy had been taken, looking as if he were ready to take off after everyone else.

"He's being taken to a hospital," one of the staff said, "He'll be fine."

Those words should have been reassuring, but no one wanted to say how worried they were knowing they still had to get back on camera soon.

-

Present

"Hyung!" Youngbae looked up to see Daesung rushing toward him, a look of concern written across his features. The younger man looked frantic as he approached, "Where is he? Is he okay?"

"Calm down," the older man got up from his seat and placed a hand on the other man's shoulder. He didn't want to make a scene in the waiting room, "And I don't know. The doctors haven't said anything yet."

"Why not?" Daesung's voice was rising, looking panic stricken.

"Hey, I mean it, calm down."

"He was fine yesterday!"

"Daesung!"

"I was just with him!"

"Hey!" Youngbae forcefully pulled the younger man into a tight hug, trying to stifle the terror Daesung must have been feeling. He could feel the younger man's pulse racing, his entire body trembling, "Calm down."

Daesung sniffled, taking in a shuddering breath as he, buried his face into Youngbae's shoulder, "He was fine."

The older man could feel the tears soaking into his shirt. He wanted to say more, but the words wouldn't come. He wanted to say that everything would be fine, that Seungri would be discharged soon, but he didn't know how true any of that was. He didn't want to give himself or others false hope.

"He was fine."

-

2013

"Are you okay these days?"

Seungri rolled his eyes, "I know you guys love me, but you really need to stop worrying so much."

"It's not cause we love you, it's cause you look like a damn ghost," Youngbae retorted with a laugh, shoving the younger man playfully, "Seriously, you're looking more like a panda than ever."

"It's the schedule," the younger man answered, running a hand through his hair, "Between promotions and going to Japan, sleeps been hard to catch."

"Maybe you should make some time for yourself."

"I will. I have time coming up."

"How soon?" Youngbae crossed his arms as he waited for an answer, unable to stop the nurturing instinct in him from coming out.

"Like a week or so," Seungri shrugged.

"It should be more like a day or so."

"Hyung..."

The older man threw up his hands in defeat, "It's not like you ever actually listen anyway."

"I listen plenty!"

"Liar."

"Let's agree to disagree."

And Youngbae couldn't contain his laugher anymore. He could never stay serious around Seungri. The younger man just had an affect on him he couldn't describe.

"Come on, you said we can go shopping so you can make me your famous kimchi fried rice!" Seungri exclaimed, looking like an excited child as he grabbed his coat.

"Fine, fine," Youngbae said as he grabbed his belongings as well.

As much as he could act annoyed with the maknae, everyone within the group knew that it was out of love. Besides, all brothers found ways to torment one another.

-

Present

"One at a time, five minutes each. No more," the doctor's instructions were incredibly clear when Youngbae had asked about seeing Seungri.

Youngbae pulled the chair by the bedside closer and took hold of Seungri's hand. The younger man stirred, but didn't wake. The doctor had said that the maknae had to be sedated and it was likely that he'd sleep through the night. That was as much information as they got.

Without official family there, the hospital personnel were not willing to risk releasing intimate details of their patients. Youngbae could understand where they were coming from, but he still couldn't keep the anger from rising up in him. Seungri wasn't just their teammate. They were brothers, whether they wanted to be or not.

Their years together brought about so many things that could have broken other families. Yet, because they didn't share blood, they couldn't know more than the basics. He hated it.

Grasping Seungri's hand, Youngbae said a silent prayer and begged. Please don't let him leave us.

It felt almost pathetic, but he was willing to do anything to keep the harsh reality of what they may face at bay.

Please let him get better.

Please don't let him suffer.

He held Seungri's hand tighter, almost hoping that if he held on long enough everything would be alright.

-

Note: Ahhh, I feel so bad for writing this one! I think eventually the flashbacks will stop, but for now, I'm leaving them in. Thank you everyone for all of your kind words! I'll do my best!