Chapter Seven

Fade Away

Chapter Seven:

Present

"I'd like to go for a drive," Seungri said wistfully, looking out the window.

"Where to?" Daesung asked.

"Anywhere. I'd just like to get out of the apartment."

"The beach?"

"Like you'd actually take me," the maknae rolled his eyes. And Daesung smiled, wide and mischievous, eyebrows raised suggestively. Seungri sat up straighter in his seat, "Really, hyung?!"

"Get dressed and we'll go."

The older man couldn't help the laughed that escaped his lips when the younger man scrambled to get up and put on presentable clothing, as if every passing moment was an opportunity for him to change his mind. Daesung had thought it over several times. He needed to take Seungri away from reality for a moment, especially after having to tell him that Seunghyun was backing out on seeing him a few days ago.

Damn it, hyung, he still couldn't believe the rapper had just abandoned their maknae. He knew it was hard to handle the situation, but they had to be there for their friend, their brother.

"Ready!" Seungri exclaimed, coming back with a wide smile across his features, practically all of his teeth showing. None of his clothes fit quite right and he had on a too big, too bright, neon green knitted hat, which made him look almost childlike.

Daesung snorted, trying to contain himself.

"What?" the younger man asked, pulling his hat lower.

"You look like a big kid, that's all."

"I do not!" the pout the maknae put on helped even less with the visual.

"Come on," Daesung slung an arm around Seungri's shoulders, "Let's go before someone catches us in the act."

-

2015

Seungri was laughing, drinking beer and dancing to the loud club music pounding in their ears. Daesung couldn't help but laugh along, moving his hips and dancing without a care in the world. It felt good to be in a place where no one recognized them and they could go a little wild.

There were sweaty bodies all around them, beautiful women and handsome men, all of them dressed to have fun, perhaps even get lucky. There was an extraordinary amount of blondes, ranging from voluptuous to model thin. Or perhaps that was just his perception as the sight was far more frequent in the USA than in Korea.

"I'm so glad you came with me!" Seungri shouted over the music, throwing an arm around Daesung and pulling him close as the tempo of the music picked up.

The two of them jumped to the beat, feeling the bump of other bodies against theirs. Daesung could feel the sweat dripping from his brow, his hair swinging about wildly as he tried to keep in rhythm and it felt good.

It felt good to let go and revel in the spontaneity that Seungri had brought about in him.

Years ago, he was a bit more hesitant to go out clubbing, always labeled as the good boy of the group. But Seungri had a way of pulling people out of their shell, forcing them to have fun, even when they think they can't.

"Hyung, are you having a good time?" the maknae asked, leaning in close.

"Yeah!" the older man tried to say over the music, his lips practically brushing up against the other's ear he had to get so close to be heard.

"Ah, you're the best!" the younger man hugged him tighter, body swaying, unsteady, obviously drunk, "I wish the other hyungs were as cool as you!"

"But then I wouldn't be special!"

Seungri laughed uproariously at that and rather than say more, he pulled Daesung deeper into the dance floor, flirting left and right as they went.

-

Present

The sea air smelled wonderful.

There was a gentle breeze, just enough to ruffle his hair as Daesung sat on the hood of his car with Seungri, who was leaning against him. The two were just watching from a distance as people ran toward the water, watching as small ships sailed in the distance, watching as life, that wasn't their own, happened before their eyes.

"Hyung?" Seungri's voice was soft.

"Hm?" he looked down at the younger man, who was still staring off into the distance.

"Thank you for this," the maknae pressed closer to him, making the older man all the more aware of how bony Seungri had become.

"You're welcome."

The ocean waves rushed toward the shore. They could hear children laughing, running away from the surging waters. The sounds of parents shouting, gulls in flight, footsteps on the sand, it swirled around them.

"Do you think Seunghyun hyung will want to do this with me too?"

Daesung felt his heart skip a beat at those words, "I'm sure he will."

"I was really surprised that you agreed to this, you know," Seungri continued, never taking his eyes off the horizon, "This seems like something our hyung would do. He used to plot things like this with me."

"The two of you are troublemakers. That's why you have the same name."

The younger man continued speaking as if he hadn't heard what Daesung said, "I feel like he's been avoiding me."

"Don't say that."

"I haven't seen him in a long time."

"We'll make him clear his schedule, drag him kicking and screaming if we have to," Daesung was trying to lighten the mood, but that laughter he was so used to didn't greet him.

"It's okay if he doesn't want to see me."

"Seungri."

"It must be hard for him."

Those words made Daesung feel a terrible urge to punch Seunghyun in the face.

-

Five Months Ago

Daesung watched as Seungri animatedly talked to their interviewer, hands moving all over the place. It was as if the past couple of weeks hadn't happened. The maknae was still his same old self, entertaining to the best of his ability. It was fascinating to see because he knew that if he were in the younger man's position, he would be too focused on his mortality and what was to come.

"We should live each day as fully as we can," Seungri said, "There's no point in delaying and wondering what could have been."

The audience applause, loud and deafening.

They don't know how much he means that, Daesung thought.

Youngbae's hand was already ruffling Seungri's hair, causing the younger man to yelp in surprise before bursting into laughter, "Just don't make a fool of yourself like this one here!"

"Hyung!" the maknae exclaimed, still laughing as the audience's voices joined his, a chorus of laughter.

Daesung tried to cover his mouth, watching as Youngbae played roughly with Seungri, trying to climb onto the protesting younger man's back. They're always like this.

I hope we stay like this.

-

Present

Seungri slept the whole drive back. Daesung looked over at the younger man and contemplated for a moment before he pulled out his phone. Positioning his device just so, he snapped a quick picture. The flash went off, illuminating the entire interior of the car which made the younger man jerk awake.

He felt bad for laughing, but as Seungri blinked, he began to realize what was happening. Daesung was keeping up the tradition of taking pictures of the maknae sleeping. The younger man rolled his eyes and let out a short laugh as he stretched out his limbs.

"Home already?"

"Yeah. I didn't really want to wake you, but I can't let you sleep in here," the older man replied.

"I really appreciate you taking me out today, hyung."

"Stop saying that. Once was enough."

"Not sure I want to stop now that you've told me to," Seungri's lips quirked up in a smile. Though it wasn't as wide or bright as it once was, Daesung could still see that it was his dongsaeng. Despite all the changes, it was still Seungri in front of him. Smiling and alive.

"Brat," the older man said, giving the maknae's shoulder a gentle shove.

Seungri pouted, acting hurt in an exaggerated manner. Then before either could say more, they dissolved into laughter, laughing so hard that their cheeks and stomach hurt, even though they couldn't pinpoint what exactly was so funny.

But it felt good to laugh until they were out of breath.

It felt good to laugh until they were crying.

And to Daesung, that was all that mattered for now.

-

Note: Ah, thank you for the comments on the last chapter everyone! It was so nice to see them all. And I'm sorry for making everyone sad! I hope you can enjoy the story despite that!