Chapter 37

Before My Eyes

I might now consider that Yoongi oppa could also fit as a fortune-teller.

On a sunny two pm, a day after Yoongi oppa gave me the pepper spray, Taehyung suddenly informed me of a customer who wanted to talk to me.


“Nuna, someone wants to talk to you. Second floor.” VIP area. 

“You know him?” I asked as I looked at him quizzically. 

“Nah,” he replied while shaking his head.

“Okay...” I nodded at him and proceeded upstairs. When I went inside, I saw a man holding a pen and pad like Seunghyun-ssi does sometimes, but his notebook was smaller.

“Are you the owner of this café?” He asked and I nodded. He motioned for me to sit. “I have heard things...” He started.

“What about? Do we know each other?”

“Ah,” he produced a calling card from his coat pocket and gave it to me. It says he's a reporter. “Kang Kibum, @@ showbiz insider.” And upon hearing it, the hairs in my nape went up.

“Ah, hello.” I said, stunned. I almost forgot to bow, good thing I did it before he looked at me and didn't see my nervous face. I tried to keep my face business-like before I faced him again.

“Hello.” He replied. “Let's cut to the chase. Well I've got some resources, telling me you and Bigbang’s TOP are dating.” He said quickly I've got a hard time to keep up.

“Really?” I began to panic inside, and hoped that it won't show in my face. I tried to smile, but I really don't know how this will end.

“Please answer if it's true.”

“Why don't you ask him instead?” I asked. “Will it be more reliable if you'll ask the person you're sure involved?” He thought about it, and all I just need is a little more push. “I can say yes, but since I'm ordinary, people will think I'm just daydreaming.”

“You're right, but then, will you tell me if you are the girl in this picture?”


He pushed the picture to me. It was a photo of Seunghyun hugging me just outside the café. Seunghyun’s cap covered his face, but since he was wearing his ever-popular cap it really did looked like him. Only my back was shown, but still panic continue to surge through me.


“Uhm...” I began stuttering, and then suddenly Taehyung was at our side, his panicked face shown.

“Nuna, Minyoung-ie...” I just looked at him, silently asking what happened, but he didn't answer and just ran downstairs again.


Oh God, what's happening to her? Does she need medical attention? God, I said they should be careful at all times!

And damn Taehyung for cliffhanging me.


“Sorry Mr. Kang, but I think I have to go.” I said urgently. “Enjoy your coffee.” I bowed and walked out.


I some air before joining Taehyung downstairs. I walked to him, and saw he’s smiling.


“What? What about Minyoung?” I said and he looked at me, showing his square-like grin.

“Nothing really. I just know that man's a maniac. Aish I shouldn't be leaving yo—”

“Taehyung!” I punched his arm. I almost imagined the most hideous things Minyoung might suffer!

“What? Didn't I save you? Am I too late?”

“Oh no, just in time.” I exhaled and smiled at him.


I went to the office and called Seunghyun-ssi right away. I told him what just happened, and he said I did the right thing and thanked Taehyungie for backing me up.


“But what is happening, really?” I asked. He exhaled before answering.

“I don’t know too, Sunhee-ssi. No reporter has come to me yet. I think they went to you first because you’re easier to find.” He paused, maybe thinking what to say. “I think I have to get ready. Hyunsuk-nim would surely know this sooner or later.”

“But—”

“You have to take care, okay? Paparazzi will be around you starting today, if not our crazy fans. Be sure to call me when you feel something strange is happening.”

“Won’t you come here?” I asked, and I hate myself for sounding so desperate. He breathed again, but now it is as if I can see him smirking. 

“Don’t worry, I know you’ll be fine without me. I have to take actions too, you know?”

“What kind—?”


He ended the call without answering my questions. I breathed and rummaged my bag and held on to the pepper spray that Yoongi oppa had given me last night, and decided to keep it beside me. After that I breathed again, many times, before going out to continue my normal day, promising I'll just worry about it tomorrow.

The people in the sharehouse were surprisingly complete the time I and Taehyung went home. Yohee and Jimin (he watched the concert... or Yohee, more specifically) had been back after the two-day 4Minute Japan tour, and Yoongi oppa has suspiciously taken a break (he never does that). They greeted us with hellos and made us sit on the floor while they continue to drink beer and eat chips.

We joined them, and Taehyung started telling them about what happened a while ago, while I resisted the urge to punch his face for telling the story a bit exaggeratedly.


“...and the reporter gave her a photo of Seunghyun hyung and nuna kissing and—”

“Kissing? Were you and that jerk kissing on public, Sunhee?” Yoongi oppa asked alarmingly.

“We didn't kiss.” I told Yoongi oppa before facing Taehyung. “That's hugging, Taehyung.”

“—hugging,” Taehyung ignored us. How dare he?! “And nuna denied it with grace! She even flipped her hair while saying, 'No, it wasn't me'! Can you believe that? This nuna's so cool, I tell you. She would’ve won Miss Korea if she joined.” I sighed exasperatedly while the others shook their heads while smiling.


If only Taehyung knew.

After Taehyung's story-telling the others grew nervous and concerned. Taehyung might have told them of the fictional-heroic-and-a-bit-comic side of the story, but in reality it is something we shouldn't be laughing at.


“Let's just keep Sunhee inside her room.” Jimin suggested.

“Yeah, make sure she'll never get out.” Yohee agreed and the two clapped hands. I rolled my eyes at them

“No one will know she's here,” Taehee said rather firmly.

“Of course, and we'll take the reporters from the outside and put on our best lying face.” Jin oppa said, implying a plan.


I really, really wanted to thank them for thinking my safety first, but then I pushed their suggestions and argued that I can manage to pull it off tomorrow.


“I'm here to back up nuna, so no worries!” Taehyung exclaimed in a happy tone, and everyone yelled “Ooohhh~”

“Your idea of backing up Sunhee is far more concerning, Taehyung.” Yoongi concluded and we all laughed.


The next day, I left the house with my insides churning, expecting reporters to be lurking outside the house and café, but surprisingly, they didn't. I'm happy that Seunghyun-ssi wasn't right, but when he didn't answer my call I started to panic again.


I called Daesung oppa instead, and this time he answered it. “Sunhee-ah! Sorry I just got my phone back!”

I ignored him. “Where's Seunghyun-ssi? Are you with him?”

“Oh you didn't know? He has a guesting on a show.”

“Really?” 

“Mm-hmm.” He hummed over the phone, implying a yes. “He told me what happened to you yesterday. I think he would tell them already.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, shocked. What nonsense is he trying to do?!

“He's been telling me about the guesting and the 'right time' over and over again.”

“Oh my. I hope you're wrong.” 

“Just tell me if the situation there becomes hard, okay?”

I bit my lip. I really don’t know if I could take that ‘hard situation’ if ever it will come. “Okay. Thanks, Daesung oppa.” I ended the call.


Since it doesn't have live streaming, I just waited for the articles.

At 2:15 the articles came flooding through the net, all saying that Seunghyun-ssi confirmed that he has a girlfriend (that's me) and that I'm an ordinary citizen, and that he begged everyone to be easy on me. Other issues went through, like the issue of money (they asked if I only want money in a not-so-rude way but for me it was rather sarcastic) in which Seunghyun assured while laughing that it's not what I want because I already have lots of them (“I have to brag her café is pretty much more successful than others”) and the issue of Daesung oppa (the reporter showed a picture of me and Dae oppa hugging and asked if I was double-timing) in which he said in pure confidence that it wasn't the case and we're friends long before I met him. Other little issues were discussed but he was really good at answering them and I know I don't have to worry anymore.

But not until I went back after lunch.

It was nearly 3PM when I went back to the café, after lunch, and noticed some people crowding the entrance. I went near (they haven't noticed me yet) and saw Taehyung talking to them and Minoung on the side urging me to go away. Some reporters might've noticed her that they turn their heads, then ran upon seeing me. They asked questions upon questions, if I could confirm that, or confirm this, to tell what's true of what Seunghyun said, while putting their mics in front of me and concentrating their cameras at me. I looked at them, speechless and unable to breathe, beads of sweat drenching my shirt.

My staff came running too and made their way beside me, ushering the reporters away. Somehow we made it out alive, and we all entered the café, temporarily locked the doors and waited inside. We too apologized to our customers for the sudden commotion outside.


“They started to crowd the entrance at two-twenty.” Taehyung sighed. “I tried calling you but—”

“I set my phone to airplane mode.” I continued. “Thanks anyways, Taehyung-ah.”


The customers might have recognized what was happening, too. They talked in hushed voices and looked at me sullenly. Some students put up a show by tossing a glass of milktea on me (it's fine because I smelled sweet, just the rough way) and saying it was an accident, although I caught them rolling their eyes on me. I just smiled and said it was okay even if I had the urge to pull their hairs off.

At around 4PM when no one was entering the café because of thick number of reporters, I called Seunghyun-ssi to fetch me. We called it a day, but they insisted to stay and waited for me to go home first.

Minutes later, a black van came. From that van came men in their black suits and sunglasses and lined up like a barricade preventing the reporters from crossing a certain line between the café's entrance and the car. A man came running to the café once the area is secured, and then knocked on the café door upon reaching it.


Taehyung opened it and the man slid inside. “What is it? Who are you?” He asked as he towered on the man.

“My name is Lee Hyun.” He looked at Taehyung nervously before answering his question. “That's a company van—”

“Wait up.” I cut him. “I'm not going to YG.” I said, shocked. Lee Hyun-ssi nodded an agreement.

“Yes, we cannot get you to YG unless Yang sajangnim had written an official letter to you. But upon seeing the reports he sent the van. We're taking you anywhere you want.”


I wanted to hug Mr. Yang for doing that to me.


“Thank you.”


We went out and walked to the van, leaving Taehyung and the rest of the crew. Lee Hyun-ssi gave me his glasses and covered me with his coat. He let me sit on the passenger seat before he ran to the driver's seat. He pulled the gear before stepping on the gas.


“Those men...” I said as I looked at the men-in-black-suits now forming a body-barricade between the reporters and the café entrance.

“They will continue to secure café until the reporters disperse. Now, where to?”

“Hyung's house.” A man beside me said. I suddenly looked at him, and he showed his eyesmile along with a small wave.

“Daesung oppa!”

“Are you okay, Sunhee-ah?” He asked, concern visible in his eyes.

“How did you know those reporters are there already?” I tried to dodge the question, because I didn’t know if I should lie or just tell him the truth. I thought he would look at me frustratingly, but he tried to be patient.

“We all are one step ahead, Sunhee.” He said with a small smile. I sighed.

“Thanks.”

“So how are you? Are you fine?”

“Kind of.” I managed to say.


Daesung oppa nodded. We both stayed silent the whole ride, and after a few moments we’re already at Seunghyun-ssi’s home.

When we reached Seunghyun-ssi's house I instantly remembered the first time I slept here. I smiled. The memory is comical now that it helped me release the tension. 

And then suddenly Seunghyun-ssi's arms are around me.


“What happened? You alright?” I showed him a small smile, but before I could nod he said again, “You're a bit sticky.”

“Oh, yeah. A girl accidentally dropped her glass of milktea on my shirt.”

“Accidentally dropped?” Daesung said, now standing beside me. “I think you're being a bit kind, Sunhee. It doesn't suit you.” I glared at him, but he continued man-hugging Seunghyun.

“Thanks, man.” Seunghyun said, not noticing our little fight.

“No problem.” Daesung oppa broke the hug and looked at me again, “Yah, Sunhee. You should change.”

“I don't have extra shirt.”

“Come on, I'll get you some.”


We went upstairs and he began giving me his shirts, which I must say he kind of enjoyed. After that I went on his bathroom so I could change, and we two went back downstairs to rejoin Daesung oppa, who was now trying to cook something in the kitchen.

Seunghyun asked us what happened as he leaned beside Daesung oppa. I and Daesung oppa, on the other hand, started exchanging parts of the story while cooking. After a while the food's ready, and we started eating our early dinner.

At around 8PM I called Taehee to ask her if there are still reporters.


“Yup.” She said. “I and Taehyung tried to explain you're not living here, but they didn't believe and are still waiting.”

“Okay. I think I can't go home now. Just tell the others and... Take care.”

Taehee giggled. “Oh, so mushy. Take care too.” Then she ended the call. I faced Seunghyun-ssi and about to speak when he stopped me.

“I know, you can stay here, as long as you want.”

“Just for tonight.” I said, and he grinned.


I also have to call Taehyung from time to time to check what's happening, and he assured that the café's doing fine.

After some more talks Daesung oppa declared that he'll sleep in the house. Seunghyun-ssi agreed, saying “I'm not doing what you think so whatever, just sleep wherever you want.”

He then ushered me to his bed, and skipped late-night talks since we knew that we are both tired already. He sat near the nightstand and grabbed something there.


“What's that?” I asked upon seeing a bottle of drug. “For insomia?”

“Just a sleeping pill.” He replied. “Good night Sunhee-ssi.” He kissed me after taking his pill, and I watched him get out of bed and went to the drawers to get extra blankets.

“You sleeping in the couch again?” I asked. He looked at me.

“How did you know I—” 

“Just a guess, actually.” I shrugged. He continued rummaging the cabinet, now taking out a pillow. “Well, your bed is big enough for us...” When I said it, he turned, his jaw practically dropped.

“Say what?”

“Sleep beside me.” I rolled my eyes at him, and he just looked at me, maybe a bit taken aback.

“Really?” He looked at me, considering what I said, and when I didn’t change my expression, he rushed to me and jumped on the bed, extra blankets and all with him. “Oh yeah! Maybe Daesung won't hear—”

“What won't he hear?” I asked. He stopped cheering.

“Well... Your... My...” He trailed off. I laughed at the sight of him going red as tomatoes.

“Do you snore?” I asked again.

“No I don't!”

“Then I guess Daesung oppa won't hear anything.” His face became redder. “Goodnight.” I smiled, grabbed his arm and made it a pillow (he can't do anything but to lie down too).


I felt his tight hug just before I drifted to sleep.

~-~-

When I woke up, I saw Seunghyun still asleep. I stared at him sleepily before going out of bed to try to make some calls. Taehyung said the reporters are still in the house, but of course they didn't tell the reporters I live there, so maybe they'll leave the area today. He also told me they would not open the café today to keep the reporters off. I gave my blessing and told him that they should take care. When I came back, Seunghyun-ssi's awake.


“I thought you left me.” He said sleepily.

“I made a call.” I frowned. “The reporters are still there.” He nodded as he scrubbed his eyes. “You slept well?”

He continued to nod. “Like a miracle. Also had a dream. You know it's like the first time in many years.” He smiled, then opened his arms. I sat back beside him and placed his head on his chest.

“All thanks to me.” I beamed.

“I want to sleep some more.” He cuddled a pillow and about to lie down again, but he stopped when I put my hand on my waist.

“It's already seven am.”

“Is it not your usual time to wake up?” He asked.

“I usually wake up at five am. I and Taehyung, since we open the café at seven.” I replied, walking near the bed.

“So, you always make breakfast?”

“The people in the house usually don't eat breakfast, so no.” I sat beside him and placed a pillow on my lap.

“Oh, so you're not cooking?”

“Jin oppa and Taehee usually do. I cook every holidays, like Christmas.” I looked him. “Mind you, anything with pasta's my specialty. I can cook ddukbokki too.” I smiled at him. He just look at me, pouting.

“I thought you don't eat spicy foods.”

“Everyone's there to taste it, anyways.”


After entertaining him (talking to him until he's fully awake), we went out. I saw Daesung oppa having a bad time with eggs.

Since I'm the only girl, and since I sensed that they need to talk, I took the responsibility and made kimbap (since the egg's messed up already). They went out of the kitchen for a moment, and then went back to help me set the plates on the counter.


“Did you sleep well Sunhee?” Daesung oppa asked when we were already sitting comfortably.

“Yep. I overslept for two hours.” I replied. He gave me an amused face.

“Hyung?”

“Me? Well. I even had a dream.”

“Oh? What sort of dream?” Oh, I forgot to ask that!

“I'm waiting for Sunhee,” he paused then smiled at me, “because she walks too slow down a church's isle.” He grinned, and I smiled with him.

“Aww, so cheesy.” Daesung oppa remarked, and I can imagine him patting his own shoulder for being the best match-maker in YG. I almost shook my head.

“You, did you sleep well?” Seunghyun asked back.

“I really don't know. I was waking up when I hear a noise. But...” Daesung oppa looked at us.

“Told you, I wouldn't do it.” Seunghyun replied. I giggled.


After a while Daesung oppa left the house, bringing some kimbap with him (he really found it delicious). Good thing Seunghyun kept the toothbrush, shampoo and spare of the undies that I used (“I knew you would come back”), so I wasted no time and took a shower, and also pushed to wear oppa's shirt which was so big.


At lunch Yoongi oppa called me. “Yah, Sunhee.”

“What is it oppa?” I asked instantly upon hearing his slightly worried voice. “Is there a problem in the house? Should I go back?”

“There’s a problem in your house, Sunhee.” He paused and breathed. “Your parents wanted to see you.”

 


So many happenings with this chapter! Good luck with the stress, everyone!

Vote and comment. Aaand stay tuned for the last two chapters! Thanks for reading everyone!

bunny.