Chapter 17

Before My Eyes

"Nuna, Daesung-ssi's calling you." Taehyung said after getting in the office. I looked at him.

 

"Daesung oppa's here?" I asked. He said he’ll come back next week!

 

"Yeah. You have to go out."

 

"Okay." I stood and went with him outside. Taehyung stayed in his station once we went back to dining area, and I went up and started looking for his table. I spotted him at his usual spot. "Daesung oppa why didn’t you --" Wait. Why is Seunghyun-ssi here?!

 

"I know you missed me." I looked at him again and saw him smiling. "Sit." He then motioned a chair beside him.

 

"What didn’t you call me?" I asked him, and he pouted, pulling me to the chair he motioned for me to sit.

 

"How could you act like that now? Aish." He drank his latte and looked at me. "Yah, Lee Sunhee, do you have plans for tonight?"

 

“Why?” I asked, only looking at him. Seunghyun-ssi must’ve been smiling all this time, but really, I’m not in the mood to even look at him.

 

"I just came back! Of course we deserve a celebration!" I just stared at him. “So, are you free for tonight?”

 

I touched my eyebrows and breathed. "Uhm, you know my schedule. Why do you ask?"

 

"So you won't have anything to do tonight, that's it?" I blinked and gulped. What's gone into him?

 

"I can't stay outside at night…"

 

"How could you date if you're like that?"

 

"Oppa!" I glanced at Seunghyun-ssi subconsciously. He's looking at us like a maniac smiling like that, it almost scary, if not for the blood that rose to my temples. "How did it turn to my date now?" I stared at Daesung oppa. What does he want now?!

 

"I'm just a little worried about your life. Are you planning to be single until you die?"

 

"Maybe.” I shrugged. He looked at me, horrified. “Well, I'm just really busy these days."

 

"Really?" He looked at me unbelievingly. "Or you're dating someone already?" He continued to ask. "Who? Your manager? He's living with you, right?"

 

"Who, Taehyung?" Suddenly I laughed, remembering what my seniors once asked me. "Only crazy women would date him." Really, Daesung oppa is the only person who can change my mood.

 

"Then, the other men inside your house?" I glared at him. "I heard they are famous in their fields. Equally famous as us."

 

"They don't even consider me as a woman." I pouted. He smiled.

 

"Yah, Sunhee. It's okay to reserve yourself, but if you know that he's already in front of you —" I wondered why he looked at Seunghyun-ssi, "—seize the opportunity and grab him!" He sipped another one and his lips before standing, "I have to pee, you two wait here."

 

 

I just looked at him as he walked to the bathroom. Really, what's gone into him?

 

 

"Daesung got a little overboard, sorry for that." I looked back in front of me as he spoke. He breathed. I just stared at him.

 

 

He... apologized?

 

 

"It's okay, I'm used to him." I waved off, not hinting anything. Well, what he said was actually confusing. But then, I can’t just let my guard down. I let it down once, and I won’t let it anymore. He’s just too much for me. “I’m going.” I said, and I was about to walk away when Yoongi oppa came, holding a cup of coffee in his right hand and his notebook in the left.

 

"Yah, Lee Sunhee." He started as soon as he saw me. "Follow me."

 

"Eh?" I looked at him quizzically, but he's already walking to the table in the front. I shrugged before jogging to Yoongi oppa after. Taehyung is already at his side so I sat in front of them. "Why are you here? Who's with Cloud?"

 

"Yohee. They're playing when I went out." He looked at Taehyung. "Yah Taehyung, buy me chicken takeouts."

 

"The restaurant is just beside this café!"

 

"I know." He nodded lazily. "Buy me chicken takeouts."

 

"Nuna!" He said, wanting me to stop Yoongi oppa. But since it is break time, I just creased my eyebrows and nodded at him. He jumped in annoyance.

 

"Aish, what to do with this hyung." He said while pouting and went out.

 

"Aish, that shameless jerk." Yoongi oppa shook his head while looking at Taehyung. When he's gone, he looked back at me. "Sunhee, help me with my song." I just stared at him.

 

"Wh —" And then I shook my head. "Oppa, you know I at that!"

 

"You won't write it like I do. Just supply me with answers." He said casually (he does that kind of talk when it comes to his songs), and I nodded even though I'm kind of nervous. It's my first time doing it! "Ready?"

 

I breathed. "Okay, ready."

 

"What part of your face do you hate the most?" He asked after preparing his pen and notebook.

 

"Everything except my eyes. I mean, not for its color or whatever, just the fact that they're twenty-twenty." He nodded.

 

"So you want to change all of them?"

 

"Yes —"

 

"I guess all of the ladies in our country wanted to change something into their faces." He was nodding, but suddenly he leaned on the table and looked straight into my eyes. I don't know what has gone into him, but I can't take my eyes off his stare. "But then, you're already beautiful, so you don't need to change anything." He said, and I kept staring. I tried to form words but apparently, it was hard at the moment.

 

"Huh?" I asked like it is the only word in the world and so that he could repeat what he just said. I don't even know what he meant by it.

 

"Aigoo, maybe I could have it as lyrics!" He went back leaning on his chair and wrote something on his notebook while smiling slyly. What did he said? I'm beautiful?

 

 

Then I looked at Seunghyun-ssi who's already talking to Daesung oppa. It's the same thing he said to me in my dream, if it really was. And then Yoongi oppa now. I know I'm just an average-looking woman but...

 

Really, what does it mean?

 

I closed my eyes and breathed, ready to ask what the hell was he thinking when Taehyung came with the chicken takeouts. He looked at us curiously.

 

 

"Aish, I've only gone for minutes and you two acted awkward already."

 

"Awkward?" I looked at Yoongi oppa again when we said it in chorus. "Nothing awkward happened." We continued saying almost the same words. Taehyung shrugged and put the bag on the table.

 

"Anyways, I have to check the grinder, Minyoung said the coffee beans are not grinding well." I said and stood up.

 

 

When I’m done, it’s already past break. Yoongi oppa is gone, and when I asked Taehyung, he said oppa had gone to the park opposite this café to get some air. Daesung oppa and Seunghyun-ssi, on the other hand are still sitting on their seats. Daesung oppa grabbed my hand as I try to pass them and smiled. I stopped, looking at him quizzically.

 

 

"Seems you’re really busy today, but you're free on Monday, right?" He sipped his frappe, still looking up at me. I nodded. "Let's hang out." I just stared at him. "What? Are you coming or not?"

 

“Oppa if you are setting me up with Seunghyun-ssi --”

 

“Why would I?” He asked, looking genuinely surprised. I stopped, now feeling hot. So he didn’t? “You’ll be having a dinner with Kang Daesung, Lee Sunhee, and not Choi Seunghyun. Don’t set your hopes too high.”

 

"Fine." I sighed. At least I have his word.

 

“You’ll make your Monday night free?” I nodded. He nodded back.

 

"No soju again. Okay?"

 

I pouted. "Whatever."

 

"Okay." He lent out his other hand.

 

"What?"

 

"Phone." I gave him my phone while pouting. He tapped it while murmuring, "April 15... 7pm..."

 

"7pm? Isn't it too late?"

 

"I reserved a wonderful dinner. And besides, Ferris Wheel's much thrilling at night." I raised my eyebrow at what he said. Is this his idea of a 'hangout'?

 

"Will it be a date? Tell me if I should wear a dress." I joked.

 

"A date? Ha-ha-ha!" I shot him a look as he laugh sarcastically. "Just wear something comfortable." He said and sipped his frappe again.

 

~-~-

 

Monday night has come. Daesung oppa must've been so eager to make me remember April 15, because he just didn't put a reminder on my phone, he also called me to remind that.

 

After I took a shower, I went straight to my room to change. There I saw Taehee.

 

"You going somewhere?"

 

"Go out." I didn't answer her and just ushered her out, wear dark gray shirt, a warm black hoody and black shorts, my Converse, and my makeup before going down.

 

 

I saw all of them sitting on the living room, except from Taehyung who's still working at the cafe, Yohee who always comes home late because of her dance practices, and Jin oppa who's cooking something in the kitchen (I can't tell what, but I can smell it).

 

 

"Uhm, you have night plans?" Jimin pinned his eyes at my bear legs at the sight of it, but rather malicious look, it was a concerned one.

 

"Yup."

 

"It's your first time to have a night plan. Is it a date?" Jin oppa, who just came back from the kitchen, asked me.

 

"Daesung oppa came back from Japan and wants to celebrate." All of them gave me an ‘Ooohhh~’

 

"Yah Sunhee, if you want a body guard--" I cut Yoongi oppa.

 

"No thanks." Another ‘Ooohhh~’ "Yah! Why are you being like that?!" I shot them a look the continued to arrange my things.

 

~-~-

 

I made my way inside a luxurious restaurant while regretting that I didn't wear a dress, with a waiter just a meter ahead of me. He stopped, pulled a chair for me, and I sat to the table Daesung oppa has reserved. While another waiter's pouring me a glass of wine, I tried to call Daesung oppa but it went straight to voice mail.

 

 

After some time I got tired, and so when the phone beeped I spoke, "Yah oppa, you know I hate waiting. Come here in 5 minutes." Then I ended it. Oppa knows I'll go home if he can't make it in 5 minutes or even can't call back.

 

 

But maybe he's just teasing me, because he didn't come in 5 minutes. He didn't even send a message so I can know if I should wait a little longer. So I just put the phone back in my bag, took my last swig of wine, and then decided to go.

 

Just when I reached the door, I bumped into Seunghyun-ssi.

 

 

"Oh..." Is all I said. He looked as casual as me, just wearing a faded pink shirt and gray coat and tight ripped jeans.

 

"Lee Sunhee-ssi." He said. "Did Daesung..."

 

"Yes." I answered, since I think we're in the same phase of mind.

 

"Aish." I heard him murmur. He looked at me after, his eyes a little hopeful. “Do you want to wait for him?”

 

“No.” I rearranged my shoulder bag and walked outside.

 

 

I walked out, thinking about what happened. Did Daesung oppa really leave me here alone? And then he’ll send Seunghyun-ssi for him to look like my hero?

 

Is this some kind of dejavu I’m having right now?! Because if this is, it’s annoying already!

 

And the fact Daesung oppa didn’t know what I know, that Seunghyun-ssi set my café up into some trouble. I must be thankful that Taehyung had got the news from an unreliable site, but then if someone else sees us together, having another fight, then maybe, maybe more reporters would come. By tomorrow the café would swarm with reporters, and I would definitely hate that.

 

 

“Sunhee-ssi.” Seunghyun-ssi is suddenly in front of me when I looked up. Tch, he sure is fast.

 

“Why?”

 

“Are you going home? It’s night already, do you need a ride?” I didn’t answer him and just continued to walk past him. “Sunhee-ssi.”

 

 

Aish but this is just so annoying!

 

 

“Please go away.”

 

“But I thought we agreed that it’s okay for you to ride on my motorcycle?” I walked, faster this time, but Seunghyun-ssi’s legs are much taller than mine and his steps are bigger so he caught me again, in the arm. “Sunhee-ssi, please, it’s night already. Daesung might get angry with me if --”

 

“Why can’t you just leave me alone?!” Suddenly I bellowed. I’m already taking in too much and my bag of patience is already empty. If someone can annoy me much, much more than Jimin or Taehyung, I decided it’s Seunghyun-ssi! “Why, did Daesung oppa asked you for this again? Or is your conscience really eating you up that you have to drive all the way here to get me and drive me back home?!” I breathed after I burst out all the unnecessary thoughts that’re bugging me big time. I know he knows what I’m saying. Aish, this is so frustrating! It’s done, and I don’t care what happens tomorrow. The most important thing for tomorrow is hunting down Daesung oppa and skinning him alive! This is all his fault!

 

“It’s just… I wanted to help you.” He said silently. I scoffed.

 

 

Well, to tell you, Choi Seunghyun-ssi, you weren’t of any help!

 

 

“I don’t need your help, so please stop annoying the crap out of me!” I screamed and stormed away.