Chapter 31

Before My Eyes

Seungri was passing the cafe near YG when he saw Joohee, now with another man. Youngbae is sitting across her, looking at her like an interesting specimen. They are so into each other's company that they did not seem to notice when he stopped in front of them, with only a thin glass window separating them.

He didn't wait for the rocks to fall out of the sky and walked in.

 

“Hyung!” He greeted Youngbae when he came in. If there's a boy who can be so in contrast with him aside from his TOP hyung, then it will be Youngbae. So he didn't have a clue on why he is hanging out with this y lady from last night.

“Oh, Ri it's you.” He stood up and hugged Seungri. Seungri broke their manly hug and smiled at Youngbae before looking at Joohee.

 

Now she wears a white blouse tucked in her orange satin pants. She looked smart and formal, all the same y.

Seungri stopped the urge to his lips while checking on her. It's just rude, and jerk as he may be, he still had manners.

 

“Oh yeah, this is Joohee—” Youngbae continued, and Seungri was brought back to present.

“Park Joohee.” She stated her name casually, actually like talking to a client. She bowed a little, her face not revealing anything she feels about him and his attitude last night. It was either she was so wasted she'd forgotten about it, or good at hiding her emotions.

 

And I like girls who do not act like a brat, Seungri thought while bowing back.

 

“Yeah,” Youngbae continued. “She's the sister of one of my childhood friends, so basically she's like my sister too.”

“So not a girlfriend then?” Seungri suddenly blurted it. Joohee arched her eyebrow, and Youngbae laughed, waving his hand like stating a no. Well, he too cannot believe that he thought his hyung is already dating someone.

“Definitely not.” Youngbae manage to say. It was more than Seungri wanted to hear. Now he heard a no with the word definitely, Seungri wanted to hug his hyung and treat him to a proper dinner. “So if you're wondering, yes you can join us.”

 

That's it. Seungri thought, smiling. I'm treating this hyung to dinner. Maybe buy him something for his house too.

He saw Joohee frowning as some kind of silent protest, but Youngbae seemed oblivious of what she wanted to say. Still Youngbae made sure Seungri won't completely make a move on her. Youngbae walked and sat beside Joohee. Joohee breathed in relief.

But for the first time in many ages it was fine with Seungri. For the first time it was okay that he isn't beside a girl. For the first time it's fine just to talk casually without any hint of flirting. Seungri felt elated talking to both of them, especially to Joohee.

Maybe after lunch, before Joohee decided to go, Seungri grabbed the opportunity to get her number. He saw a clear moment when Youngbae went to the restroom.

 

“Do you have any memories from last night?” Seungri asked. He doesn't want to bring that past, but she makes him curious, especially because of her actions.

“Yeah. It was you, right?” There's no hint of resentment on her voice, just pure inquiry. Seungri thought he must feel okay because it looked cool with her, but instead he felt guiltier.

“Yeah, well. I guess I'm sorry.” He murmured. He seldom uses the word sorry, that is why he doesn't know how to use it. Now he realized he said a half-hearted apology, he wanted to punch himself in the gut. But Joohee kept her cool and just shrugged.

“I guess we can't do anything about it now.” She sipped her coffee and went on. “I am really not used to hanging with people I don't know. I'm even not into clubbing. Maybe that's why I acted rude last night. It's me who needs to apologize anyway.” She smiled. “Sorry about that.”

“Well, if we can just be friends, then, you know, maybe next time you won't hang out with strangers anymore.”

“I knew the people with me last night.”

“Except me.” Seungri said matter-of-factly. “Now how about let's have a way to know each other?”

“Why do you want to know me?” Joohee asked, her brows now creasing. Uh-oh, did I pushed my luck too hard? Seungri bit his lip while thinking.

“Because… you're interesting,” he replied seriously. Joohee was silent for a moment.

“Interesting in what way?”

“In a crazy, unexplainable way.” Joohee didn't know what to reply. Even Seungri was shocked on his own reply. Why did he say cheesy words like that? He just needed her number for goodness' sake!

“Well I guess...” She wrote something on a napkin and slid it in front of him before standing. Seungri grabbed it and put it in his pocket, and stood with her. “I should go now. Have a nice day.” She slung her bag on her shoulder and went to hug Youngbae who was just emerging from the restroom.

 

For once in many years Seungri felt elated that he got a girl's number, but he wasn't going to admit it this early.

 

~-~-

I saw Taehyung early in the morning, frying eggs and bacon. This is the first time I saw him cooking for breakfast.

I walked nearer while tracing the edge of the table with my hand. He seemed not to notice me though, he keep banging the frying pan on the stove.

 

“Yah, Taehyung.” I started. He looked at me, his eyes so red and puffy. “What happened to your eyes?” I asked, and then remembered that Taehee's eyes are red too last evening as if she just finished crying. He ignored me and continued frying the now scrambled eggs (it was sunny side-up a while ago). I chuckled. “What, were you crying?”

“Stop asking questions.” He retorted. I looked at him, my eyes kind of wide. This was the first time he did that to me!

“What happened, really?” I didn't stop asking. “Taehee was drunk and crying too last night. Did something happen?” I waited for his reply and just continued to stare at him. He placed the eggs on a plate and then stared back at me.

“Was she?” He then breathed miserably. Something really happened.

 

He took the plate and walked to the table, ignoring me as I tail him. He breathed once again, and went back to the sink and started to wash the dishes that was left yesterday. I leaned my back beside the sink, still staring intently at him.

 

“Taehyung-ah,” I tried to start again, “Did you and Taehee fight?” He stopped and sighed. I knew I hit the button.

“She broke up with me, nuna.” He whispered and heaved a ragged sigh, like he's controlling his tears from falling. Like he doesn't want me to see him cry. I just kept silent and didn't push him. He continued washing the plates.

 

After I ate breakfast, I went back to our bedroom. I saw Taehee staring at the wall.

 

“Taehee.” She looked at me, startled.

“Is Taehyung still downstairs?” She asked, her eyes puffed from crying and maybe hangover. I nodded. She sighed and stared at her knitted fingers.

“He said you broke up with him.” I said and waited for her reaction. She just continued staring at her hands. “So it's true. Why? Third party?” I asked again. She shook her head multiple times. When she stopped, she exhaled and went back to looking at her hands. “Then why?”

“You would never understand my reason, Sunhee.” She whispered, her voice shaky. I waited for her to tell the reason, but suddenly Yohee raised from slumber.

“Whazhappening?” Yohee asked as she rub her eyes and gulp down her dried saliva. I stared at her with both awe and disgust.

 

No one answered. Yohee then looked at us with question in her eyes. I looked back at her, pointed Taehee using my lips, and formed a brokenhearted sign with my hands. Yohee seemed to understand, looking at me like saying, So you figured it out too.

Last night Taehee, Yohee and Jimin went home together, and the two had to carry Taehee because she was so wasted. Yohee said it was the first time she saw Taehee that wild, and she already knew that something happened to Taehee when she asked them to go with her to a club. Both Jimin and Yohee didn’t ask the problem, well since they thought Taehee wasn’t ready yet. But the thing they had both in mind was that, Taehee and Taehyung fought.

 

“You two get up, we will be late if we stay here.” Taehee broke the silence and stood up. It's like she has found a new source of strength. I was about to stand too but Yohee glared at me. I sat back to my bed.

“Sunhee can't be late, she owns the Sonic now. And my practice is at two—” she looked at her watch to increase the drama, “— and you don't have any schedule up until noon, so we have a lot of time to talk.” She stood and pulled Taehee beside her. I walked and sat at the foot of the bed.

“It's a useless talk, I tell you.” Taehee said in a low voice. Yohee shook her.

“You still have to tell us!” She whined. I sighed.

“Yohee-ah...”

“Sunhee, you want to know why, do you?” Yohee asked. I sighed once again. “So we know you and Taehyung fought. But why?”

“We didn’t just fight. I broke up with him because I think I was taking him for granted. Happy now?” Taehee snapped and went out of the room. Awkward silence crept the room, and I hit Yohee on her lap to decrease it.

“Aish, I told you to keep quiet.” I said and

“Yah, you didn’t!” She retorted, but I was already walking out too.

 

Taehyung was silent the whole afternoon. I let him stay in the office and visited him every hour but then he's just sleeping the whole time. I sighed, thinking that maybe he didn't have a good sleep last night.

I was closing the door of the office when I saw Seunghyun standing beside the wall. He smiled at me, so big as if he did something and was really pleased with himself.

It's been two weeks since this man said he'll wait, and he's complying with that promise. But now, after what happened to Taehee and Taehyung, I wondered if I should let him wait more. What if he'll feel that I am taking him for granted too? Will he stop doing things for me and look for a more deserving woman?

I felt my heart dropped a few inches. And from that I knew what I have to do. I should not let him go.

 

“Sunhee?” His voice took me out of my wandering. I saw him still smiling at me.

“Why are you here? Can't you stay in the lounge?”

“Minyoung said you were here checking your coworker inside.” His voice is a bit accusatory. I raised my brow. “S-so... I came here. Sorry.” He then looked at the floor. I pursed my lips to stop myself from laughing.

“I'm just worried about Taehyung. He just broke up with Taehee.”

“What?!”

“Shhh!” I hissed. “Where's Minyoung anyway?” I asked to change the topic. He shrugged. “Are we going somewhere?”

“Yup.” His smile is back. I smiled too and nodded.

“Okay. Wait for me outside, I'll just talk to her.”

“Okay,” He smiled and wore his sunglasses back before walking out.

 

I look for Minyoung next. I saw her serving something at a table full of boys. I shook my head and went to her.

 

“Excuse me, guys. I'll just talk to her.”

“Okay!” They said in chorus and sent their last smiles at Minyoung. I smiled back and pulled her out of their earshot.

“Did you see that, unni? Changsub oppa smiled at me!” She must forgot that we're at the dining area. I sighed.

“Keep your focus, lady.” I said as firmly as I can. She pouted. “Don't pout in front of customers. And visit Taehyung every now and then, okay? That's a command.”

“Okay...”

“Tell Hangyun oppa that if Taehyung will continue that attitude for a week, hire another crew member.”

“Gender, unni?”

“Male.” Upon saying it, her smile became huge. I glared at her.

“I'm serving now, unni. Good luck with your date!” She walked away while waving at me. I had nothing to do but tap my forehead out of exasperation.

 

I went out of the café and looked for Seunghyun, expecting him to be leaning on his black motorbike. But then I creased my eyebrows when I saw him standing near a dark gray SUV, smiling.

 

“Hey.” He continued smiling.

“Hey.” I replied. “Where's your bike?”

“In the basement of my house. We'll use this car now.” I raised my eyebrows out of confusion. I thought he doesn't know how to drive cars?

 

He smiled and dragged me to the other side of the car. He opened the door for me and let me inside before closing it again. My gaze followed him as he walked back to driver's side. He opened the door, sat and arranged my seatbelt before fastening his. I just stared at him as he did all of that.

 

“How… when did you learn driving?” I suddenly asked when he pulled the gear. He looked at me and back at the road again.

“I got my license last month, and bought this car last night. Daesung has been teaching me the whole time, but I got interested in driving cars when he said you find it hot when a man drives proper vehicles.” I think my face flushed because of what he said. How could Daesung oppa tell that? It was supposed to be a secret!

“Well...” I tried to form words, but I can't because I'm more focused on how to make my face cool again.

“So I'm hot now?” He asked. I looked at him.

“Huh?”

“I'm still not hot?” He asked again. I breathed and looked at him once again.

“No no no.” I said and chuckled out of disbelief. How this conversation even started? “You're always hot.” What did I just say? “I mean...”

 

My face felt hotter again as I see him smiling from ear to ear. I sighed and touched my face, imagining if it has the color of tomato now.

 

“Which is hotter, me driving a motorbike or me driving this car?” He asked again and started driving with one hand. He propped his elbow on the side of his window and glanced at me one more time.

 

Oh my God, the torture of looking at him and answering his questions!

 

“Both...” I answered in a low voice. He chuckled.

“Should I get used at you praising me?” He continued grinning while looking at the road. And then suddenly his wide smile lessen. “Maybe I should, it looks as if you like me already.” He teased. I just looked at him and chuckled.

“Really? You think I already like you?” Well, maybe I do this whole time.

“Uh-huh.” He nodded. I smiled because of his sudden confidence.

 

Should I say I like him too? Right here, right now?

You have to think, Sunhee.

Seunghyun looked at me carefully before looking back in front. And then he stared back at me.

 

“Did I say something wrong?” He asked. My mind drifted back to now.

“No, nothing.” I replied. He nodded and stared back on the road. And then silence. I half-cared about it. I should think really hard.

“Seunghyun-ssi.” My tongue formed the words, but still my mind is hardly weighing my decision. I should think. “I like you too.” I should— what?!

 

I looked at my lap and listened to my pounding heart. Did I really say it? Here? Now?

Suddenly I felt the car's tires screech. I gasp and held my seatbelt, and the next thing I knew, we already stopped. I looked at Seunghyun with wide eyes.

 

“You like me too...” He asked and stared at me. “Are you saying that as a part of the praise, or because you really do?”

I breathed and put my hand on the nape of my head. “Well... Both.”

Silence crept between us, and then he suddenly smiled, really wide. “Ugh, Sunhee-ssi!” He groaned and hit his wheel in delight. I bit my lip and started to smile with him. “Should we make it official now? Huh?”

“Should we?” I asked back. He grinned his boyish grin.

“Hell, we should!” He continued grinning, but my smile suddenly went away. It just feels wrong, with the happenings in the house and all. “Why, Sunhee-ssi?” He sounded concerned so I looked at him.

“I'm not sure if I should be happy like this when my friends are sad.”

“Yah...” He said almost softly (considering the voice), and reached for my cheek. “Don't overthink it.” He then breathed. “Okay, if you really worry about what they will think, then let's keep it a secret first.” I sighed again and started weighing my thoughts. “Sunhee-ssi...”

“Hmm?”

“I just...” He took his hand again and shook his head, “I just want to make sure you're mine from now on.”

“Okay.”

“O-kay?”

“Okay.” I said and looked at him with a small smile. “I'm yours now.”

He chuckled and shook his head. “Can you repeat it?”

I smiled back. “Repeat what?”

“The—” he tried to mock me, “—'I'm yours now' part.” I hit his lap and began to laugh. I think I'm not that ugly when I said that!

“Don't make me. I might add some words.”

“Okay—”

“I'm—”

“—Shh shh shh!” He gagged my mouth with his hand! How dare he! “I'm driving now. Stop pestering me.”