Chapter 18

Before My Eyes

I slumped down on one of the chairs and rested my head on the table back here in our dining room. I didn’t have a good night’s sleep yesterday, thanks to Seunghyun-ssi for keeping me awake. Yesterday, after the unexpected encounter with him I went to the nearest convenience store and ate some ramyun and drunk beer, but when I went home what I did started to bug me. I spent the whole night thinking of a way to get away with reporters, but I can’t.

 

 

“Oh, nuna. You’re up so early.” I saw Taehyung turning the coffee maker on. I just looked at him.

 

“I didn’t sleep the whole night.” I said, stared at him once more and rested my head on the tabletop again. When I’m sure I’m gonna sleep with my position, Taehyung nudged me.

 

“Nuna, you want a day off?” He asked calmly, and even my eyes are closed, I nodded and smiled thankfully.

 

“Thank you, Taehyung-ah. What would I do without you?”

 

“You should sleep tight so you could come tomorrow, okay?”

 

“Okaay~”

 

 

I’m really thankful Taehyung let me pass. Maybe he saw me last night after the supposedly dinner with Daesung oppa, or that maybe he just knew it was a fail because of my face right now, but then at least he didn’t ask me about it.

 

I went back to my room to get some sleep and visited the café in the afternoon. Taehyung is already absorbed being the boss when I came in.

 

 

"Nuna." He laughed nervously when he saw me, like a child caught in the act. "I'm just..." He continued smiling.

 

"It's fine. I'm off today, remember? You can boss them all day if you want." I sat on the table nearest the window, and Taehyung sat opposite me after making coffee for me.

 

"Nuna, are you okay now?"

 

"Yeah." I nodded. "Anyway, did Daesung oppa came in?"

 

"Not yet, but I saw Seunghyun-ssi a while ago. He went out after some time." I really wanted to ask if Seunghyun-ssi had asked for me but I stopped myself. Taehyung might see it the wrong way.

 

"Aish. I still have to smack Daesung oppa in the face."

 

"Did he do something really bad?" He asked, and I nodded after breathing heavily. "I hope you won't smack hard, though. He's still an idol."

 

"I know, and it's unfair." I shrugged and l sipped my coffee. Taehyung just looked at me.

 

“Anyway, there are some problems here but…” Suddenly Taehyung trailed off when we heard someone raising his voice.

 

 

It was unmistakably from the counter. Taehyung sighed and went to the counter, and now I can see that he is so exhausted. Suddenly I wanted to take his place and let him run to Taehee.

 

I saw him talk to the man on the counter who was raising his voice to Minyoung. Taehyung is already blocking Minyoung’s face so the man won’t yell at her anymore, but this time it’s Taehyung who’s receiving the yells.

 

 

“I said I wanted to meet your boss!”

 

“But I am in charged. What is the matter, sir?”

 

“You are not the boss, aren’t you? You’re just a salary-manager?”

 

“Yes, but --”

 

“Then show her to me!” He knows me, then. Maybe he knows about the article already.

 

 

I started to walk annoyingly to him. When I reached the counter he stopped bellowing and looked at me.

 

 

“So there you are.” He said. I looked up, not breaking a single eye-contact. “I mean, these people of yours might not know who I am, but I bet you know me.”

 

“No, I don’t.” I instantly said. He curved his brow and took his sunglasses off.

 

“Now you know me?”

 

“What’s the matter, sir…” I trailed off, making sure that he get the message: I really don’t know him.

 

“I’m Dong Hyuk Goo. Don’t tell me --”

 

“Mr. Dong, what is the matter?”

 

“That girl is saying gibberish!” He suddenly bellowed again. Minyoung, who is still behind Taehyung’s back, jerked in fear. “She said I can’t go to second floor just because I don’t have a VIP card!”

 

“That’s the rule of Sonic, sir.” I said as calmly as I can, though I really wanted to smack him in the face now.

 

“But card or no card, I’m a VIP! You must let me go upstairs to drink the coffee I ordered you and --”

 

“You can drink it somewhere else, maybe here downstairs?”

 

“I don’t want to drink downstairs!” He said, and his muscled arms swung, and I readied myself just before it reached my face. I really, really wanted to move, to bend my body or something, just to avoid his arm, but I can’t. My heart pounded hard, and all I can do is close my eyes and wait for his hand to reach my face.

 

 

But that’s the surprising part, it didn’t even came an inch near me.

 

 

“You don’t touch her.” Someone in the background said, and I slowly opened my right eye. When I saw what’s happening, I opened my left eye too and went in between them.

 

“Seunghyun-ssi, Dong Hyukgoo-ssi. Please stop fighting inside my café.”

 

“I’m not even --” Hyukgoo-ssi glared at me, but Seunghyun-ssi twisted his arms to keep him quiet. “Dammit.” He murmured. I looked at Seunghyun-ssi poisonously, and maybe sensing what I wanted, he took Hyukgoo-ssi’s arm down. Hyukgoo-ssi shook his arm, as if to release pain. “Next time --”

 

“Next time order a VIP card, dude. It’s only for seventy-five thousand won for God’s sake.” Seunghyun-ssi murmured, and I almost smiled. He knows how much it is, does he now?

 

“You go upstairs.” I whispered at Seunghyun-ssi after making sure Hyukgoo-ssi is gone. He arched his brow, but didn’t argue anymore. I turned to Taehyung after seeing him walking to the stairs. “Taehyung bring us mocha latte, please.”

 

 

I went after him, and I saw him sitting on Daesung oppa’s usual seat, staring at the window. I sat across him, and he looked at me, and I can see his eyes are almost dancing in delight.

 

 

"Are you sober now?" Seunghyun-ssi asked. I opened my mouth but closed it when I realized something.

 

 

What, did he think I was drunk yesterday?

 

I did not drink a lot though. And I drunk after I screamed at him. But did he consider I was drunk before I went to the restaurant? Because my actions were out of hand?

 

Or... Was he following me after that incident?

 

No Sunhee, you're not that important to him anyway, and just bugging you because of his guilt. He won't follow you.

 

 

"I think you still remember what happened yesterday, based from your pale face." He continued and I saw a smile hinting on his lips. I creased my eyebrows.

 

 

Is he laughing at me?! The nerve—

 

Calm down, Lee Sunhee. You still need to thank him.

 

 

“I… What you did a while ago, it was…" I shook my head slowly, stopping myself from praising him. "I wanted to thank you for that.”

 

“Uh-hmm, you thanked me twice now, but you didn’t ask me what I want in return.” Say what?

 

 

This man is really hopeless, really. Maybe he knows nothing but spending money, does he?

 

 

But then, I should look grateful, and so I asked, "So what do you want?"

 

He paused, pointing his index on the side of his mouth as if thinking of something, and then he smiled. "A dinner, Sunhee-ssi."

 

"But I don't..."

 

"Okay, I know I didn't comply to your demand when I apologized, but I realize we can't really do it because we are Daesung's best friends. And we are bound to bump to each other like this, often." I'm about to rant about the news Taehyung had seen when he held his palm, indicating me to stop and listen to him first. "So, in order for me to comply it, I won't let you see me for a week. After that, we'll have dinner. Is that fine enough?"

 

"Wh-what…"

 

~-~-

 

Yohee, as Jimin had requested, went to where they first danced as partners. Jimin is already waiting for her when she came, knowing that she hates it when someone comes late, but that didn't set her mood off. She's still angry at what he had said about how she runs her life. But then she doesn't know why she comes when Jimin says it.

 

Jimin looked at her and smiled as she walked to him, so happy that he passed the waiting-in-vain feeling a while ago, but Yohee continued her blank expression. She just can't smile back. Maybe after Jimin explains himself, if he will ever will, then maybe she will calm down.

 

 

"What do you want now?" Yohee asked acidly and Jimin's smile wore off. He started looking into his hands.

 

“Yohee, why are you acting like this?” Jimin asked. It happened weeks ago, and Jimin thought it’s just because of Yohee’s hectic schedule, but he can’t allow it anymore. They are getting uncomfortable inside the house, and even though the others do not notice it yet, he wanted to end it now.

 

“You didn’t tell me you’ll actually start that stupid school.” Yohee cursed. Jimin was taken aback. How did she know? He has a feeling Hoseok told her, but then he can’t stop asking it himself.

 

“Yohee-ah,” He started when he collected his bearings, and looked at her seriously, “I know I hurt your feelings, and I'm so sorry that I hid it, but please understand that I'm only concerned about our future.” He tried to explain, but he knows Yohee is very hard to convince.

 

Our future? What the hell are you talking about? Do you want me to do that too?” Yohee is already fuming. Sure she really wanted to dance, but then a dance school is not her thing. She can entertain people, but not teach people. Of all people she thought Jimin would understand, but then apparently he doesn’t.

 

“I want to you teach with me.” He said. But then in the back of his mind, he wanted to scream at Yohee. Please dream bigger! He wanted to say that, but Yohee might get angrier, and so he stopped.

 

“I won’t.”

 

“I know what’s good for you, because…” Jimin trailed off, thinking.

 

 

What if he'll just say he likes her?

 

He knows fully that perfect timing would come and he can't use that truth as an excuse for what he did but—

 

 

"How could you be? You're not even --"

 

— he doesn't have a choice.

 

"It's because I like you, Shin Yohee."

 

"What? You…" She scoffed, and Jimin didn't expect the reaction. "What a lame excuse, Park Jimin." Yohee her lips and exhaled before continuing, "If you really like me then you could've supported me." She said and left Jimin, contemplating the hidden, emotional meanings of what she said.

 

~-~-

 

"It's just a dinner, Sunhee." Taehee tried to calm me down after I shared what happened a while ago.

 

 

I can't share it with the boys especially to those three that shared bad blood with him after my sleeping-in-his-house incident (didn’t I tell it? God it was so annoying I don’t want to think it anymore). I can to Taehyung, but I fear he'll spill it.

 

Yohee isn't home to share this too. But then I already know her answer: she would agree to that dinner to be closer to Daesung oppa (she believes that if they are of the same mindset, they'll become closer).

 

 

"Yeah, but what will I do?" I asked for the fifth time.

 

"Have a dinner with him, then do the usual after." She breathed, then looked at the poster above her bed. I'm avoiding that though. "But he has a point, you can't constantly ignore him."

 

"Aish, really, whose side are you?"

 

"Yours, of course. I'm just saying he has a point."

 

"You mean I can't really create some space between me and him?" That man who just seeks forgiveness for publicity? Aish, his face is so unbearable. "Never mind, I still have a week to decide. Well after that I can always run away."

 

"Where would you go?"

 

"Uhm, not sure..." But I already have something in mind.

 

~-~-

 

After a week, I decided I can't really decide for an answer so I gathered everyone in the living room. Everybody must be curious of what I’ll be saying, because even Jimin and Yohee, who were in a fight, are now sitting side-by-side and only looking at me, as if they didn’t notice they are beside one another.

 

 

“Really Sunhee, I’m still two songs short, so please tell me what’s happening right now.” Yoongi oppa hinted a tone of warning.

 

And so I breathed and exclaimed, “Let’s have a vacation!”

 


 

I'm sorry guys to keep you waiting! As a compensation for what I did, I posted five long chapters! Hope you'll like it. Comment down your thoughts!

 

Abby~