Two

Secrets & Lies

The bell finally chimed and everyone hurriedly exited the class blissfully. It was lunch at last. Things were going fine so far but I still had no one to talk to. It was so hard because everyone had their own partner already. Besides I was too shy to make the first move. Maybe later, someone will decide to initiate a talk to me. Maybe, just maybe.

I packed my things neatly before taking my leave; placing the previous books to my bag and prepared books for the next class. My mother does inherit her discipline and love for tidiness to me.

“Hi!” Hearing someone’s voice that I felt was speaking to me, I looked up. Oh, the maybe turned out to be sooner than I expected.

There were three boys standing near my desk. I was quite taken aback by that. I hoped someone to come to me but I expected it to be a girl not boy, moreover three at one go. I stared at them; observing each person one at a time. They were towering me since they were quite tall and they didn’t look really friendly.

I felt this sudden uneasiness at seeing these three boys. I didn’t have the foresight and they somehow looked suspicious.

“I’m Chanwoo, Jung Chanwoo. You’re Yeonjoo right?” said one of the boys, stretching his hand out.

I thought I introduced myself clearly earlier. So why did he have to ask such an obvious question? But I nodded nonetheless as I shook his hand rather doubtfully. The other two soon letting me know their names which were Kim Donghyuk and Goo Junhoe.

I didn’t understand why they wanted to be friends out of the blue. I somehow felt they kind of had ulterior motive behind that friendly approach (Nayeon would obviously scold me for thinking this way but hey, I was just being cautious).

The boy named Donghyuk then said, “Let’s go to lunch together!” his voice was so joyful as if he just said the most tremendous idea ever.

I looked at these strangers in bewilderment. I didn’t think I knew them that well that we could eat lunch together. In fact names were the only thing we knew about each other. Also the gender was the problem. I’d say yes right away if they were girls but they weren’t.

“Ummm..” I started nervously, thinking a way to reject without offend them. “But I already promised my sister that I’d be with her for lunch,” I reasoned. Because they looked at me expectantly as if they expected more, I continued, “I’m sorry. Maybe next time.”

The boys only looked at each other for a moment before the Junhoe guy asked in amusement, “So it’s true that Nayeon is your sister? Like real sister? Not step sister?”

I scoffed at his insulting question. Truthfully I felt really offended with his choice of words; it wasn’t wise at all. I was perfectly aware that I and Nayeon are quite different which I didn’t feel good about and he didn’t have to ask such question to make me feel even worse. This one boy definitely needs to watch his mouth.

I stood up, preparing my leave; still feeling annoyed, “Yes. She is my biological sister,” I said with emphasize. “And I’m not adopted if that’s what you mean,” I mumbled quietly in addition although they probably didn’t hear it.

“Well, if you guys don’t mind, I’ll take my leave now. My sister must be waiting as we speaking.” I then hurriedly excused myself from them.

“You owe us next time Yeonjoo!” I heard one of them yelled which I only raised a thumb on my side as the respond.

Thank you for the offer boys, but no thank you.

---

I totally forgot that I didn’t have time to go to some campus tour. I hadn’t had any faintest idea about the route to go to the cafeteria. Nayeon also hadn’t told me either. I looked to left, to right, hoping at least there was someone to follow. But two minutes passed and no one was around the hallway. I sighed; guess that I need to look on my own.

I walked to the left, it somehow had brighter aura therefore I chose left. I ran down the hallway and came to face two options again. Okay, I opted for left. Left seemed to be my direction of the day.

I turned to the left direction and had unexpected crash with someone. Surprised, I bowed numerous times to that person after finding out the darker tie. In this school, as Nayeon informed me, one way to distinguish the year for every student is by looking at their tie. The first grade student would have the lightest color. And the more the year upgraded, the darker the color would be.

I noticed that the boy before me was the same year as Nayeon, 3rd year, since his tie was darker than mine. Not wanting any trouble for the first day, I apologized countless times.

“I’m sorry Sunbaenim, I didn’t pay attention,” I said.

The senior smiled down at me and brushed it off, “It’s okay. Be careful next time.” I smiled back and bowed deeply until he walked away to the opposite from the direction I formerly planned to go.

Sudden realization hit me. Wait, why don’t I ask for a help? But would it be okay? I mean he’s senior after all.

I chose to be shameless and called out, “Excuse me Sunbaenim, would you mind to give me the direction to the cafeteria?”

He turned around and smiled again. His smile was so adorable that I thought he really needed to stop smiling or else he would be able to kill the entire female population at school. Okay, maybe it was a little bit hyperbolic but I only speak truth.

He then said, “I’m about to go there. Let’s go together.” I quickly nodded and walked faster to catch up with the killer-smile-and-kind senior; feeling embarrassed at my own behavior.

We walked in silence with him leading and me trailing behind like a puppy. I sensed that he might didn’t really like my silent company. I knew the least thing I could’ve done was to be a good conversationalist in gratitude. But it was hard. I didn’t know what to say.

In no time, we arrived at the crowded place, called cafeteria. “Thank you Sunbaenim,” I sincerely said while bowing my head. I quickly left his side and began to find my sister whereabouts.

---

“What took you so long, Yeonjoo?” was my sister’s first question when I arrived at her table. She was with her other two friends, in the middle of happily chatting with each other.

“Well, you told me to find you and before that I need to find the cafeteria first because someone forgot to tell me how to get to there,” I retorted. Nayeon gave me light slap as she laughed.

She smiled shamelessly. “I’m sorry about that. How’s your school up to this point?” she inquired.

I only shrugged at her, saying it was just nothing much but I didn’t tell her about the weird three boys or the smiling angel senior I met in the hallway. Let it be my own secret.

Nayeon suddenly gasped, “Right! Meet my two best friends, Yeonjoo. These two are Hyesun-“ she motioned to the girl with slightly curly hair and ponytail “-and Hana,” she pointed to the other one.

I cast them a smile. “Hello Sunbaenim,” I greeted. Both of the girls offered their hands which I willingly accept.

Biting her lips, Nayeon asked me, “What do you want to eat?”

I pressed my lips lightly, giving it a thought. I didn’t feel like eating anything at the moment so I told her I just want banana milk. She drew a smile and got up right away to buy the banana milk I requested.

I thought the younger one is the one that supposed to take charge in doing things instead of the elder. But Nayeon is really such a sweetheart. I occasionally wondered why that good behave didn’t run down on me.

My sister and her two friends then carried on the conversation they had before I came for some interruption. I sipped my banana milk and took a cursory glance to my surroundings. All the students were doing their own business; be it talking, eating, or even pulling prank on their friends.

Coincidentally my eyes fell at the sight of that smiling senior. He didn’t look at me, talking fervently with his group of friends. As I expected, the smile never left his face.

I heard a lot about how seniors are usually cocky and arrogant, labeling themselves as the ruler of the school, but that guy proved it otherwise. He was one of the examples that not all seniors matched with the conventional thought. There is always exception.

Really, he was such an admirable senior.

I cut off my eyes from him and settled on finishing my milk instead; I didn’t want some eye contact and get myself another round of embarrassment. I then stood up and excused myself for the toilet.

“Do you know where it is?” Nayeon asked, making sure I wouldn’t get lost again and so she wouldn’t make the same earlier mistake.

I generously nodded at her, “I saw one on the way here. Don’t worry.” I dashed out from the cafeteria and turned to right, where I saw toilet signs when I walked with the smiling senior.

I went inside one of the stall and closed the door behind me. Soon, I heard the other stall’s doors being opened and two girls’ voices filled the room. I was about to exit the booth but paused momentarily when I noticed my sister’s name being mentioned.

“Have you seen Nayeon’s sister?” one of the voices asked. What? What about me?

“Yeah I saw her! I doubt they’re really siblings. I mean they look nothing alike.” I sneered at their scurrilous statement. Another sentiment I got in a day.

“Well, we don’t really need to resemble each other to be called siblings-“defended the other one. “She’s still quite pretty, though. But hers is kind of unique, different type from Nayeon,” she continued.

“Yeah. Of course. Nayeon’s a whole different level. If I were her sister, I wouldn’t want to go to the same school as Nayeon or else I’d be compared.”

They continued gossiping and not long after that I heard the noise of the opened and then closed door. When their voices were getting distant, I opened the stall and washed my hands in the sink.

I didn’t get the point why people couldn’t stop talking about others behind their back. I mean like just go to them in person if there’s something that is dislikable. But they keep on judging, comparing, and do a lot of useless things.

Is it beneficial for them? Does it make them look significantly better? The only thing it bring is hurt for the person who become the object. Don’t they know how unpleasant it is?

I examined my own reflection in the mirror, slightly touching my hair. Like I said before, the only thing I had that saved me from being a complete squid compared to Nayeon was my dark brown hair. Since I was kid, my neighbors were always jealous of my hair. I got complimented a lot at how my hair was so pretty especially if I let it grew long, like now.

I used to hear from people how I would look beautiful when I grew up. But it actually turned out that Aphrodite chose her blessing for my sister. Thus she aged beautifully.

Washing my face, I tried to calm myself by taking several breaths.

No. Why should I care about what the others say regarding me? I just need to be myself and they can spit whatever they want. Their words shouldn’t affect me. No, I won’t let them. I won’t let them ruin my first day or the second day or any day in the future.

 

---

 

That's the second chapter^^ Tell me your thoughts about it :)