Nine

Secrets & Lies

I honestly can't understand Nayeon at all. She seemed really against the idea of me making friends with Hanbin and the others. I thought she only disapproved Hanbin but then I learned the fact that she despised everyone in the group. I tried to convince her couple of times that they're not bad people but Nayeon stood strong on her belief.

Gaeun. I even succeed to change Gaeun's perspective towards the boy. Since the day I introduced them to her officially and ate together few times, she kind of feels apologetic for her prejudice. She admitted that they were nice.

She once asked me about why I cared so much that I even attempted to help them clear their images when the boys didn't really mind about it. I couldn't provide an answer that time. And now when I think about it, I still couldn't figure out either why I helped them.

Back to the previous topic.

I understand her protectiveness and I'm really grateful about it. But there's nothing to worry about when Hanbin and his friends had been treating me well. The real thing she needed to worry about was actually my cousin, Kang Seugyoon; the realest troublemaker.

I and Kang Seungyoon are really close. Back then in Daegu, our houses were just next to each other and we basically grew up together. He's not close with Nayeon even when their was less than mine and Seungyoon. Instead he's close with me. He said that Nayeon was too prim and proper for him. Of course a rebel like him is really great match for Nayeon.

In my family's eyes Seungyoon is a very great guy. He's kind, well-mannered; respect the elders, and such. I bet if he wasn't my cousin, my parents would engage one of us with him.

People might think he was an innocent boy that wouldn't dare to break the rules, his face has it all, but the truth was exact opposite. This was a thing that no one knows except me, not even Nayeon. Obeying rules was never his thing. He was like fox in disguise. I remember when I was still in junior high school he called me in the midnight to meet him in the park near our houses. It turned out that Seungyoon got into fight that gave him a blue face, and he asked me to treat him.

I also remembered he told me he went to club when he was actually still underage and he was so proud of it. And there was one time when he told me that he took a bit taste of soju.

I wondered why he didn't take acting major when he was really good at it instead of taking business. He acted for years and never once he got caught. But even though he was quite bad boy, Seungyoon was really kind and nice. He was really good friend and also brother, someone you can lean on.

I actually almost forget that Seungyoon moved to Seoul, a city that now I was currently living. So when he called me at 11 in the night, I couldn't deny that I was beyond surprised.

"Seungyoon oppa?" I asked, coughed immediately when I realized how hoarse my voice sounded. With eyes still closed I turned my body, laying flat on my back as I tried to find the most comfortable position to talk.

"You are in Seoul?" I heard him asked. A loud noise accompanied him in the background. I guessed he must be in the club again. He hadn't changed. Not surprised, not at all.

I sighed before nodding my head. Then I realized he couldn't see me and I quickly said yes.

There was silence before I heard some outburst. It was so loud that buried the music in the background. "And you didn't tell me??" I frowned at his voice and I had to momentarily put my phone away from my ear.

“Let’s talk about it tomorrow. I’m sleepy,” I unhappily said, ignoring his question. I heard Seungyoon scowled. I knew it wasn’t a good sign but a sufficient amount of sleep was my priority.

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow. Bye,” the call ended and with no other thoughts and no seconds to waste, I instantly pulled my blanket over my head and went back to sleep.

---

“There you are!”

I was heading out of the school with Gaeun when someone’s exclamation which I believed to be directed to me took our attention. We stopped on our tracks and turned to the source of noise-pollution. I expected it already. It was Seungyoon.

He pocketed in his phone he was previously playing and made his way towards us. Gaeun looked at me inquiringly; wondering if I happen to knew this guy with her eyes. I smiled and nodded.

“Hi! I’m Seungyoon, Kang Seungyoon. Yeonjoo’s cousin.” Seungyoon introduced briefly as he offered his hand. Gaeun faced him and smiled as she gave him hand shake and introduced herself.

“I’ll get going first then Yeonjoo. It’s nice to meet you Seungyoon-ssi,” she politely excused herself and waved at me. I excitedly wave back at her until she was out of our sights.

I turned to face Seungyoon. “So, what are we going to do?”

Seungyoon pressed his lips together. “Let’s go buy something cool first,” he suggested. I just nodded and followed along when he walked and both of us exited the school.

---

“So, for how long you’ve been staying in Seoul?” he asked right away, sipping his iced-latte.

“3 months?” I answered unsurely.

Seungyoon face darkened as he looked at me with unpleased eyes. I grinned and immediately apologized. “I’m sorry Oppa. School has been so busy and I couldn’t remember the fact that you go to a university in Seoul as well. Nayeon also told me nothing about informing you,” I defended myself.

Seungyoon only nodded in understanding. I scrunched my eyebrows together as I looked at him, unconvinced.

That’s it? That’s so un-Seungyoon at all. Knowing him, he wouldn’t easily let it go. He would definitely keep bring it up to make the other party guilty. I was surprised he didn’t talk back or counter my defensive statement. I was about to ask regarding it but quickly shut my mouth before I gave him any idea.

After few seconds of silence as he stirred his latte with a straw, he spoke up again. “Make sure you’re free Saturday night to make it up with me.” I knew it!

I sighed. I made assumption too soon. I knew he wouldn’t just forget about it.

“Hey! We will have fun, I promise,” he said brightly with toothy grin when he noticed that I wasn’t really welcome with his idea to make it up.

I looked at him in skepticism. Seungyoon was really kind, I know he wouldn’t hurt me or let anything happen to me. But as I said, he was a fox in disguise. He had a completely different dictionary, made by himself, and that made him had ambiguous definition of fun. One thing for sure was we didn’t share the same ‘fun’.

He mischievously smirked and leaned in to my ear and whispered, “Night club.”

My eyes widened in shock, throwing a disbelief and dirty look to him. “Oppa!” I yelled at him in hushed tone since I didn’t want to attract others attention in the café.

What was he thinking? I was just in my second year of high school for anyone’s sake. I was obviously underage. Not to mention that Nayeon would completely against the idea and she would make sure to make both of us dead-meat if she found out.

I shook my head at his awful idea. No, that’s not going to happen.

“That’s the least you can do Yeonjoo-ah. You came here without notifying me even after three months!” here it comes, the expected guilty-treatment.

I stayed silent, evidently unimpressed by his excuse. I crossed my arms as I leaned back on my seat. We both looked at each other’s eyes. While his eyes were practically screaming ‘please’, mine were screaming ‘no, go away’.

“Don’t you remember the promise you make when you forced me to be your boyfriend just to impress your friends? In case you forget, I’ll remind you. You said you will do anything if I’m willing to act as your boyfriend.”

I brought both of my palms and covered my face in mortification. Why should he bring it up again? It was long time ago.

During my second year of middle school, one of my friends hosted a birthday party. Sadly that time I was the only one in my group that didn’t have boyfriend; I never bothered to look for one, besides we were just fourteen. It was still too young, right? Then an idea popped into my mind to bring Seungyoon and introduced him as my boyfriend. My friends were impressed by the fact that I dated a high-schooler.

Eventually, that came with a price. To persuade Seungyoon, who was refusing it strongly (“why would I go to a kids’ party?” was his excuse), I had to promise that I’ll grant any of his wish (as long as he doesn’t make funny and ridiculous one) if he agreed to comply my request.

I automatically sighed in defeat. Seungyoon never used this promise to back-mail me before. I thought he forgot it already.

“Okay okay. But I’m still underage. They won’t let me in,” First attempt. I tried to make an excuse.

Seungyoon sipped his latte until it was empty before answering. “I’ll get it covered. Don’t worry.” He waved it off calmly.

But I didn’t stop trying to cancel this club-hang out.

“Nayeon would murder both of us if she knew,” I threatened him. I was sure he was kind of intimidated by Nayeon. He once asked me how someone could be so nearly perfect like her. “Besides we could hang out at other place, like Noraebang or something.” I hoped he would change his mind to drag the little innocent me to club.

“Why should we let her know? I’ll tell your father that we have movie marathon and you will sleep over at my apartment. Believe me; your father will absolutely give his permission. He trusts me,” said him confidently with a proud smile.

I heaved another sigh. He was right. When most of parents would freak out if their daughter sleeps over at boy’s place, even though they’re still related, I knew my parents wouldn’t. My father sees Seungyoon as his son, Nayeon and I’s older brother. He just trusted Seungyoon so much.

“If anything bad happens, you are the only one responsible, Oppa.” I warned him. Seungyoon gave me thumbs up as he smiled widely.

“I can’t wait to introduce you to my friends. They’re so excited to meet you!” he said happily.

Wait. Why did it feel like dejavu? He wanted me to meet his friends? It sounded strangely familiar.

---

“Dress nicely,” Seungyoon reminded me again through the phone. I rolled my eyes with a sigh. He said that for the fourteenth times already.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror. I thought my outfit was nice enough; a denim skirt and a long-sleeved red sweater. But even though he didn’t tell me to put some effort in dressing up, I’d still do since he said he would introduce me to his friends.

“I know Oppa. I’m ready now. Pick me up,” I commanded him. I heard him chuckled and agreed.

Fixing my hair one last time, I exited my room and met Nayeon halfway at the stairs. A visible frown made its way to Nayeon’s face as she eyed me up and down.

“Movie marathon? Are you sure?” she asked hesitantly.

I grinned awkwardly and nodded at her. Nayeon was still unconvinced therefore I said, “We will go to the cinema first. I heard Civil War is good.” Still smiling, I hoped Nayeon would brush it off.

Nayeon stayed silent for a while but she then nodded and showed her smile. I breathed in relief then I realized I was holding my breath during the time. Lying was never something I could do easily, especially to Nayeon. She was really nice that I thought lying to her was a great crime and besides she put her trust on me. I couldn’t bring myself to disappoint her.

Nayeon continued to walk upstairs and she patted my shoulder as she walked past me. “Have fun. Tell Seungyoon I say ‘hi’”. I nodded eagerly and with that I ran to the front door.

Upon breathing the fresh outside air, I immediately took a deep breath. Seriously, if later I got into trouble with Nayeon, Seungyoon should take all the blame.

---

“She is with me,” Seungyoon said rather cockily to the guard as he slung his arm around my shoulder. He eyed me suspiciously before nodded and let both of us in.

The smell of alcohol and cigarette greeted me almost immediately. The music was blasting very loudly. I instinctively scooted closer to Seungyoon as we got into pool of people and made our way through. Arrived at the bar, Seungyoon made me sit as he took the seat beside me.

“I’m going to the bathroom for a while. Don’t go anywhere,” he said to my ear.

I hesitantly nodded and Seungyoon dashed off quickly.

“Want something to drink?” A bartender, quite handsome one, came up to me with a charming smile. Gladly it didn’t really charm me.

“Just water please,” I said to him. He raised his brows in amusement but nodded.

I just couldn’t trust anything that was served here. Who knows someone might deliberately put alcohol to the little innocent me. I didn’t want to take risk.

Just seconds later, the bartender brought a glass of water and put it in front of me. I thanked him and he winked before he went back to his job.

“Still underage I suppose,” I heard someone chuckled beside me and I was greeted with a man’s face, which I guessed around Seungyoon’s age, maybe a little bit younger. Look at who’s talking. Actually, he looked like underage himself.

I politely smiled. “My parents taught me well what is good for my body and what’s not. I believe alcohol is not something good,” I replied, hoping he would leave me alone.

This man laughed heartily. “Why are you here then if you what’s good and what’s bad?” he pointed out with amusement written in his face.

I mentally slapped myself.  He got his point. I just merely shrugged and drank my water. Oh please. Where’s Seungyoon? He was the one who dragged me and yet he left me alone with some creepy strangers around.

“You came alone?” Boy. He wasn’t giving up. I just shook my head.

“Are you sure you don’t want to taste some?” he asked. I looked at him as he referred to a glass of prohibited-drink-for-me in his hand.

“No,” I curtly replied with obvious disinterest. This whole conversation was meaningless and it got me uncomfortable more and more. Seungyoon said we would have fun. Sure, talking to some strangers with face like a high-schooler that persuaded me to drink some alcohol is really fun.

Kang Seungyoon if you didn’t come in five seconds, I swear I’ll kill you. I mentally chanted in my head.

Just when my count came at number three, someone tapped my shoulder which made me jumped in my seat. I turned around, silently wishing it wasn’t another random guy, and I was glad that it was Seungyoon.

“Still alive right?” He asked jokingly as he sat at his previous seat.

“Barely,” I answered lowly as my voice muffled by the background music.

“Hey Hyung!” Seungyoon greeted happily to someone beside me.

I spun my body to confirm whether Seungyoon was greeting the strange man that talked to me. I knew my suspicion was right when I saw the man smiled back.

“Hyung, meet my cousin, Yeonjoo.” Then he turned to me, “Yeonjoo, this is one of my friends, Jinwoo.”

The guy named Jinwoo smiled and said, “We already met, talked even. Anyway nice to meet you Yeonjoo. So you’re the cousin Seungyoon was talking about.” He offered his hand and I took it, rather doubtfully.

“Yeah, nice to meet you too.” So you are the friend Seungyoon wanted to introduce to me.

“You’re indeed underage,” he remarked. He laughed triumphantly as he sipped his drink. I decided to stay silent.

Jinwoo and Seungyoon happily talked with each other with an awkward me stuck in the middle. I offered Seungyoon to switch seat several times, saying it was okay. Yeah right it was okay for him but definitely not for me. I didn’t know what to do. I just kept on drinking my water bit by bit to keep me busy until I realized it was empty.

I sighed. Seungyoon looked at me confusedly meanwhile Jinwoo chuckled again.

“Your cousin is bored,” Jinwoo said to Seungyoon before turned his attention to me, “Let’s dance,” he offered a hand.

Before I could refuse, Seungyoon grabbed my right hand and put it on Jinwoo’s palm and before I realized, Jinwoo already brought me to the very crowded dance floor. Jinwoo started to move going along the rhythm but his move was surprisingly stiff and awkward. I laughed. I thought he came here often, judging how cocky he behaved.

Jinwoo looked at me with confused expression but I just shook my head. I followed his inflexible dance and we ended up laughing together.

After just few minutes of weird dancing and laughs here and there, I asked him to go back. He agreed and we went back to where we were seating and Seungyoon was still there.

“Okay, Miss. High School, it’s now time to go home,” Seungyoon announced.

I was really glad when he decided we should go home. Even though Jinwoo was actually nice, it didn’t make me less uncomfortable with the sea of people, loud music, and the smell of alcohol and smoke.

“It’s nice meeting you Yeonjoo,” Jinwoo said when we bid our goodbye. I just nodded at his statement and followed Seungyoon after he high-fived his friend.

When we arrived at Seungyoon’s apartment, the clock already strikes 1 am. Wow. I left home at 8 p.m. Even when Seungyoon and I watched a movie first at the cinema (not really lying about the movie) and went to the club at half past 10, I was still amazed at how much time I spent inside that place.

“It was fun, right?” Seungyoon asked as he took off his shoes.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Honestly speaking, I don’t want to go back there again. It was suffocating me.”

Seungyoon continued, “Okay then. Anyway Jinwoo is just one of my friends. They couldn’t make it today. I’ll introduce the others at other time.”

I just nodded as a wave of sleepiness covered me. “Just make sure no clubs next time,” I warned him, entering his room.

Seungyoon just chuckled as he took a pillow and a spare blanket before made his way to the living room.

 

---

 

So I'm here again! Sorry for missing. School had been so hectic for me. Anyway I hope you enjoy this chapter. I'll try to update again later today^^

Have a nice day everyone!