Twenty Two

Secrets & Lies

I was at the train back to Seoul when I texted Hanbin a small ‘hi’ after I found out that he had bombarded me with texts and calls during my splendid time in Daegu. As if he was expecting it, Hanbin called me right away after my text was marked as read by him. I was surprised at how quick Hanbin was. I guessed he was worried because it was my first time shutting my phone off the whole day.

“Where have you been?” he asked in concern.

I looked to my left and saw my smiling reflection on the glass surface. I didn’t know why but knowing that Hanbin cared a lot made my heart fluttered.

“Daegu,” I shortly replied.

“What?” he asked out of disbelief. “Why?” he asked again.

“I went to visit my mother,” I explained; and I thought I heard him sighed in relief pretty loudly; I was unsure of why.

After we started dating, I opened up to him about my family. I had actually told Hanbin that my mother had passed away before I moved to Seoul and was the reason why I moved in the first place. At that time, his expression was so gentle and understanding.

“You should’ve told me. I won’t let you go there alone.”

See? Hanbin was super sweet. Even though with simple words, he, in fact, had warmed and melted my heart at the same time.

“Are you still there?” he asked, referring to Daegu.

“No. I’m heading back to Seoul right now,” I told him.

 

 “Be careful, it’s steaming hot,” Hanbin warned as he handed a cup of delicious-looking spicy rice cakes from the seller lady to me.

It was around 8 pm when I reached Seoul. Hanbin told me that he was waiting at the parking lot. Upon meeting him, he enveloped me into a tight hug; giving my lips few short pecks. After some ‘I missed you’ exchanged between us, he then brought me to Myeongdong; serving ourselves some snacks from the street vendor.

I nodded with a smile, reaching out for the cup with both of my hands. I felt the temperature around my palms heated up. Hanbin wasn’t lying when he said it was steaming hot.

“Ouch!” I exclaimed, not expecting it to be that hot. My hands put down the cup back to the table out of my reflex. Hanbin shot me an I-told-you-so look which I grinned at.

After receiving his own cup, Hanbin paid the lady and thanked her.

We both dug in our foods; blowing it cool before plopping the tasty snacks inside our mouths. Hanbin stole glances at me few times; when I caught him, his lips curved up into a very sweet smile which made my heart drummed against my ribcage. He laughed softly at my reaction.

“You are really cute, don’t you know that?” he asked to no one. His hand suddenly reached out to pinch my cheek.

I yelped and tore off his hand away from my face. Hanbin laughed as he pulled back his hand. We both continued eating comfortably. Sometimes he’d ask me things and I’d tell him few stories happened recently. We just caught up with each other.

I felt so sorry though.

For doubting him all this time. I mean, Hanbin was super nice. I was sure he just needed time to open up.

----

 

I knew what I was going to do. Yeah, I was sure of it.

“I want to come to the race,” I told Seungyoon via phone.

Seungyoon was quiet for few seconds before he answered, “Are you sure? Because the last time you went, you suddenly asked Mino to bring you home and you also broke down crying.”

I rolled my eyes and sighed. It was the truth though. He was right. Last time I came –had it been a week ago? - I went back home crying without giving him any explanation. I still owed Seungyoon, as well as Mino, I guess.

“Oh yea, I had bad cramps all of sudden,” I tried to give him believable lie. Of course it was impossible for me to say that it was because of Hanbin.

“Are you sure?” he asked, sounded still disbelief.

“You never know how period cramps tortured a woman.”

Please just believe me, please.

“Okay whatever. I’ll pick you up at 8 tonight,” he promised.

My lips grew a smile. “Thanks Oppa,” I said before ending the call.

 

 

Seungyoon kept his promise by picking me up at around 8.15pm. Even though he was late for about 15 minutes, I still appreciated his effort to make it on time. I greeted him shortly and hopped on his motorcycle right away. He didn’t need to be asked before he sped off and drove to the place for the race.

It was like 15-minutes ride before we reached a familiar commotion. Just like usual, Seungyoon greeted his friends. Mino was also there and he was looking at me with some expression I couldn’t put my finger on. He was looking at me strangely.

“Hey! How have you been?” he asked as he walked up to me. I smiled reassuringly to him. He might’ve been worried because of the last time.

“I’m fine. Thanks for asking,” I sincerely said.

Mino looked like he was about to ask something else but he chose to not to. It kind of intrigued me in some way but I just slid it off. Then I decided to execute my plan. I tried to look for Hanbin and the others. I wasn’t sure if he would come to today’s race but since he was there like sixty percent of the time, so I just gambled it out.

I saw no signs of Hanbin until Mino was about to do his race, I finally caught a glimpse of him.

“Wait! Where are you going?” Seungyoon asked me when he saw that I was about to leave.

I stopped on my heels and turned to face him. Seungyoon looked so flabbergasted at my sudden action. I smiled sheepishly at him.

“I think I saw a friend. I’m going to check it,” I informed him, pointing to the other commotion not very far away from where we were standing.

Seungyoon looked at me closely. I shot him a smile and few nods of my head; hoping that it’d reassure him to let me go. He sighed loudly but he nodded nevertheless. He waved me lightly before turned around and went back to his friends.

I then ran. I didn’t know why but I just did. When it was about twenty feet from them, I slowed my pace down and tried to control my breathing. I saw him; talking with few guys I didn’t familiar with. They didn’t seem to go to the same school as Hanbin and I.

“Hanbin!” I called out. He didn’t realize at my presence at first but his friend signalled him that someone, me, was looking for him.

“Who?” I heard he muttered before he turned around lazily with of his feet.

My lips turned to a smile when he turned to face me. He looked surprised at my sudden appearance that he even straightened his back upon seeing me.

“Yeonjoo? What are you doing here?” He asked. But before I could answer, he walked up to me and circled his arm around my waist as he dragged me away; not wanting the others to overhear our conversation.

“What are you doing here?” he repeated.

He totally looked like he had none idea. Of course he hadn’t. He never saw me at the race even when I always found him whenever he came.

“I never knew you like to race,” was my response, instead of answering him.

Hanbin was lost for a second. He said nothing but his eyes were searching something in mine.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized, darting his eyes somewhere else.

I shot him questioning look. I mean, why would he apologized?

“For what? It’s fine,”

This time, Hanbin’s eyes went back to me. Again, he searched for something but he was still unable to find it, whatever he was trying to find.

“You aren’t mad?” he cautiously asked. “Because I never told you?” he continued.

I shook my head with a smile. “Not really. Why would I, anyway? But I’m kind of curious of why you didn’t tell me before,” I said with honesty.

 

Before Hanbin gave any explanation, he asked me if it was fine to bring me home. And I said yes. For once again, I left Seungyoon and his friends without any reason, I even didn’t notify them that I was leaving with Hanbin. I only texted Seungyoon that I went out with a friend.

I thought he didn’t mean it when he said that he wanted to bring me home. But he wasn’t lying. He drove his vehicle to my house. Upon arriving, I hopped off and stood by the gate. I looked at him in anticipation; waiting for his answer.

“I don’t want you to assume that all of the rumours going around are true.” He confessed, suddenly taking both of my hands and held it within his.

“It’s just a hobby. My cousin does that too,” I reassured him.

So it was true. He was only anxious, afraid that I’d looked at him differently because of him doing street race. I comforted him, saying that it’d have been better if he actually told me from the first time which he apologized for.

“Thank you for understanding,” he said genuinely.

I used my hand to reach up to his face; fixing his hair for a moment before cupping the side of his face. Hanbin looked at me straight to my eyes; making me unable to look away. Somehow, his eyes looked so fragile.

He then pried my hand of his face with one hand and used the other to mirror my previous action.

“I don’t want to lose you.”

Simple words but I felt like flying up to the sky. My heart was beating continuously in very fast pace. I was very happy to hear it coming from his mouth. I never knew that liking or maybe loving someone and being loved was this beautiful.

Hanbin leaned in and kissed my cheek softly.

“Go in, sleep tight, dream of me.” He let go of me and put his hands on my shoulder before he turned me around and pushed my back a little.

“Aye Captain!” I jokingly saluted him; making he grinned.