Eight

Secrets & Lies

I'm used to spend my Saturday's night alone, be it watching some TV shows or dramas, or doing my homeworks, or just simply lying on the bed and do nothing. I expected my Saturday this time wouldn’t have much different. But then I remembered I had a promise with Hanbin, I'd already said I'd go with him and hang out along with the others.

The thought of trying to escape from Hanbin crossed my mind several times today. Until lunch break with Gaeun, I already made up my mind that I'd tell him I got my week. It wasn't like I didn't want to go with him but it was simply I was just so lazy. Home and bedroom sounded so much better and comfy.

But sadly promises are meant to be kept. And there are no Shin's daughters that break promises.

That was why I was with Hanbin now, walking towards the gate. The others were there waiting already as he reckoned.

The others couldn't hide their surprise upon my arrival, Donghyuk especially. His eyes widened and his mouth opened, forming a circular shape. His eyebrows rose few millimeters from its original place. I chuckled soundlessly upon seeing him. For a moment there, I thought Donghyuk looked cute, really cute.

His eyes then went from me to Hanbin. "She's coming with us?" He asked in disbelief. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Hanbin nodded in confirmation. Donghyuk nodded accordingly and closed his mouth as his eyebrows lowered down and eyes back to its normal size.

An awkward situation suddenly in as no one spoke a word and everyone was motionless. I pressed my lips together in worry. I thought the boys didn’t welcome me but luckily Jinhwan decided to save the day and proved otherwise. "What are we waiting for? A second is worth a fun. Let's go!"

The others quickly regained themselves and we exited the school together.

"Where are we going?" I asked Hanbin as we walked behind everyone else.

Hanbin kept looking at the front. "Noraebang," he simply said.

I just nodded as not knowing what to say.

"Why? Do you wish to go somewhere else?" He asked out of kindness. I shook my head with a smile.

It had been a long time since I went to Noraebang. I used to go there with Nayeon and her friends. But ever since our parents divorced and Nayeon moved to the urban city of Seoul, I didn’t go there anymore. I remembered whenever I went to Noraebang with her, I didn’t usually sing. I’d just sit on the couch and watch her singing. I’d request songs I wanted her to sing. Nayeon has such a lovely voice. So rather than singing the song myself, I preferred Nayeon to do the favor.

A smile crept on my face as my mind recounted the old times. I encouraged Nayeon a lot of times that she should go on some audition and be an idol since she has the looks and skills. I believed that if her skills were polished by some serious practice, she could be an amazing singer. But Nayeon brushed off the idea. She didn’t want to be an idol or singer. She wanted to be a doctor instead.

 

We finally safely made it to the Noraebang after 20 minutes of walking. It was so noisy during the walk. There was Chanwoo who kept on complaining at how Jiwon didn't stop bothering him and there was also Yunhyeong that bugged Donghyuk. I thought Yunhyeong and Jiwon would make a great squad if they were to be teamed together.

As we arrived at the Noraebang, the boys seemed to relaxed more, their eyes were sparkling in familiarity. I assumed they went here lots of times before. They knew what to do without being ordered.

The coldness made by the air-conditioner hit my skin like a gust of winter wind. I shivered almost immediately at the contact. Walking slowly while rubbing my arms, I followed the boys who made their way to their reserved room. The excitement went even greater as the eight of us entered more private space.

The room was just like any other Noraebangs out there. The couches were half-circling the area with a small table on the center. I decided to take the seat near the middle. Jinhwan took the spot on my right while Hanbin took the left's side. Junhoe was sitting beside Jinhwan and Yunhyeong was beside him. On Hanbin's side were Chanwoo and Jiwon.

Meanwhile, Donghyuk wasn't sitting as he was busy picking his song since he announced his singing turn which was first straightaway. Donghyuk was surprisingly behaved like a girl picking clothes in her shopping time. Picked one dress, swirled it left to right, examined it closely for a long time and then put it back on the rack of the dress before picked another one.

I glanced at the others to see their reactions and surely they had the same mind as me. They anxiously waited for Donghyuk. I was surprised at how they decided to say nothing despite they were all actually impatient. I thought we all agreed that we didn't want to offense Donghyuk.

"Are you illiterate or what? Just choose something already." Oops. I spoke too soon. I briefly took a glimpse of the source of the voice. Couldn't hold it anymore, Junhoe had this irritated frown on his face and let out the words I was dying to say but I swallowed back because I remembered how cute Donghyuk looked previously. I just thought I couldn't hurt him.

Fortunately, Donghyuk actually caught on Junhoe's words pretty well. He ignored him which was making the latter agitated even more.

Finally after some internal debate, Donghyuk found a song, a ballad one. He surprised me once he got one with the music. He got a very nice and sweet voice. I even got my emotion carried away with his vocal. After Donghyuk, the mic passed to Yunhyeong who chose some trot song. He succeeded entertaining us with his funny dance and purposefully-impersonate voice.

I clapped hard for him when he finished his performance with an iconic ending pose.

Jinhwan was next as he brought a girl group song. He lifted up again the mood with 2NE1's I'm the best. The others cheered loudly when the music began. It got even louder when Jinhwan did parody for the dance. And for the first time, my eyes caught something. I saw Junhoe smiled so wide; so different from his usual cold and poker face.

It didn’t took too long before my attention got stolen again by Jinhwan. I got myself laughing so hard. I never knew this side of him. This was definitely new. I thought he was the calm and well-composed guy in the group. But turned out he had the same crazy side like my favorite smiling senior.

In the middle of the song Chanwoo joined in as he took another mic.

The room got even crazier, if it was possible.

"Watch me," Hanbin whispered to me as he got up and had his turn. Jiwon stood up as well.

They then sang GD&TOP's High High. Both of them did rap very well. They executed the song amazingly. The others even followed to bounce with the rhythm.

These boys continued to make me surprised and shocked by their hidden talent.

 

I clapped enthusiastically when Hanbin got back to his seat and gave him thumbs up. He smiled humbly in return.

Junhoe was then the last to sing. Like Donghyuk, he chose a song that could showcase his vocal ability; here comes another ballad.

I was shocked to know that Donghyuk sings well, that Jinhwan and Yunhyeong had comical sides within them, and that both Hanbin and Jiwon rap very well. But honestly what surprised me the most was Junhoe. I never expected him to have a nice hidden talent. His voice was very pleasant to listen to. His singing voice and his normal voice weren't that much different but the aura actually made his singing voice was such an ear candy.

I admitted he had a voice that could make any girl fall for him. But too bad, his personality wasn't as nice as his vocal. If I never knew him and just had the chance to listen to him singing, I might grow a feeling for him immediately.

"See him in different light don't you?" I heard Jinhwan said. My head snapped at his direction. Jinhwan had this amused smile in his face. I shook my head a little bit too strongly. But hey did he read my mind?

"Not really," I said, focusing back to front. I wasn’t sure if I said that to deny Jinhwan’s assumption or if I was trying to convince myself that his voice didn’t charm me. "He is still annoying to me," I added.

Junhoe ended his performance just then. I clapped for him. He looked at me briefly. I didn’t know if I was only imagining things but for a mere second I thought I saw one side of his lips tugged upward, making a small smile. Maybe it was just my imagination.

"Your turn." A mic suddenly appeared before me. I turned to look at Hanbin with widened eyes and shook my head in horrid. I thought I was coming here like the usual days I had with Nayeon. I came with ‘I’ll only sit and watch’ mind. I didn’t prepare myself to sing anything.

"Why? We all did sing." Yunhyeong protested with an unfairness shown in his face.

I scrunched my nose at him. Yeah and you all sounded so nice. I wasn't even near to them. Not even.

"Because my voice may make you all lost your ability to sing?" I joked, smiling awkwardly. Chanwoo laughed lightly. "It couldn't be that bad," he commented with a wave of hand.

"Oh believe me, it is that bad." I tried to convince them once again.

"What's the point of a noraebang if you have to sing well?" Jiwon pointed out. I got a good checkmate there. I couldn't argue with it. I pouted, knowing he was right. Yeah, karaoke room isn’t made for people who are good at singing; it is made for everyone no matter what kind of vocal skill they have. I briefly made an eye-contact with Hanbin; seeking for help.

"If she doesn't want, then she doesn't. Come on. We still could have one last song," Hanbin understood my eye-contact and rescued me even though he was actually the first to pursue the idea of me singing. Remind me to thank him later.

As both Hanbin and Jinhwan suddenly took the mics, everyone forgot that they were actually forcing me to sing seconds before. They didn't want to waste anymore time for the last song. Jinhwan picked for another Bigbang's song; GD and Taeyang precisely. The others cheered almost instantly as the intro of Good Boy started to play. Seeing at how everyone was so hyped, I couldn't resist the urge to join the crowd. We all ended up jumping and singing whole-heartedly. The boys were also doing the dance. It was a real fun.

---

"You should've joined us Yeonjoo," Donghyuk said remorsefully. I only smiled to Donghyuk. I'd like to honestly. I also felt this temptation to join the fun. But I don't know. I think I wasn't that comfortable with them, not just yet.

We arrived at the bus stop and by then we knew it was the cue to part away.

"Is she going alone?" Jinhwan asked in concern. Everyone just glanced at each other. I was about to say yes but someone had came before me. "I'll send her home," Hanbin announced.

Yunhyeong seemed to about to say something but he swallowed back his words as my bus came. I and Hanbin made our way in and took our seats. The others watched from the side and I waved to them; smiling. All waved me back, except Junhoe who just nodded his head reluctantly. I saw the boys continued their walk as my bus started to go.

When we got off the bus after half an hour ride, it was around 7 pm already.

"I'll go after I see you get in the house," Hanbin said again when I told him at my stop that he could go home. I was somewhat touched at his thoughtfulness. He knew how to be a gentleman without sounding flirty.

Knowing that it was pointless to argue, I just nodded.

"Thank you for inviting me. Today was really fun."

I was glad I didn't choose to pretend to be sick to escape this outing because it turned out to be so entertaining. I might really regret it if I didn't come and spend my Saturday night with some biology essay.

"I'm glad you enjoyed it. But you must sing the next time you come with us," Hanbin demanded. He put both of his hands inside his pocket as the weather was suddenly getting chiller.  

"I told you my voice ." I didn't understand what part of my sentence that he couldn't comprehend. I mean it, really. I just refused to embarrass myself in front of them. I didn't want to be some laughing stock. What if my voice cracked on the way? That’d be really embarrassing for me. I’m still a girl however. I still care about my image in front of boys.

"It's not so please stop saying it is!" I noticed Hanbin's tone was getting higher; sounded like he almost shouted. I looked at him weirdly. Why would he be mad?

"Sorry," he apologized lowly. I chuckled and nodded at him. He was just so cute.

“Well it’s not some audition to be an idol. Whatever the sound you make it’ll be just fine,” he encouraged. I insisted a no.

"But thanks." I didn't even know what I was thanking him for but I felt that I needed to.

The sight of my house got our pace slower. I gulped. It wasn't the house actually. But it was the presence of the gate that surprised me. I wished it was Dad because I knew he wouldn't scold me much and the most important thing that he doesn't hate Hanbin; he doesn't even know Hanbin. Sadly the one stood at the gate, in the middle of opening it, was no other than Nayeon; my beloved sister who dislikes Hanbin.

"Unnie, where are you going?" I asked her, trying to sound as normal as possible. I was afraid she'd be mad at me for, once again, not listening to her advice. And Hanbin was here too. I didn’t want him to know how my sister resents him.

"Nowhere," she simply replied. Nayeon wasn't looking at me; her eyes were on Hanbin and no expression could be interpreted from her face. I nervously glanced at Hanbin and turned out he was in a staring contest with Nayeon.

After seconds of silence, Nayeon turned to me, "Go inside Yeonjoo." I thought she forgot that I was also there. Without any protest, I did as her words and went past the gate. I stood beside Nayeon; attempting to bid Hanbin goodbye. Nayeon suddenly turned to me with an obvious frown on her face. "What are you doing? Inside!" she ordered before looked at Hanbin again. "I want to talk to Hanbin,” she added; facing Hanbin back.

I looked at the said boy to see how he reacts. I was surprised to see Hanbin was calm. If I were him, I might be shivering to death right now because Nayeon clearly looked displeased and you'd never expect to see it coming from the high school's angel.

I nodded at Nayeon and just quickly went inside the house. I closed the door behind me and took a peek from the window. Hanbin was still in the same calm and composed self and Nayeon just spoke normally; no shout or anything. I was sure she was going to warn Hanbin about being friend with me but now I doubted it. I couldn't guess what she was saying at all.

I closed the curtain and decided to go to my room.

Later that night, I chose to text Hanbin to ask what my sister was saying to him. I couldn’t help but to feel so curious about their conversation.

-It’s nothing. Don’t worry- was all he replied. It did not satisfy me at all. That just made me curious even more. I sighed, putting my phone on my study desk.

I just prayed that the hell didn't break loose.

 

 

---

 

 

It's been a long time isn't it?

Sorry for missing in action. School has been caught me busy lately since big exams are coming.

This also might be the last update before I'm going to hiatus again until my exams are over.

Anyway, to celebrate our baby giant's birthday, I wrote another story. I'll come again to update it since it'll be just two-chaptered.

Kindly check it out!

And, what do you think about the eighth chapter? ^^