Seventeen

Secrets & Lies

It was late at night where I felt my phone buzzed on my study table. It stopped for a while but swiftly went buzzing on again. I tried to ignore it but it refused to stop and kept being a disturbance instead of letting me go back to my slumber. I rolled on my bed, covering my ears with my pillow; trying to pretend that I didn’t hear. But the sound went through my pillow with no difficulty. I groaned. This left me with no choice. Who was the devil behind this midnight call?

I took my phone and laid back down as I picked up the call, not minding myself to look at the caller ID.

“Yeonjoo,” I faintly heard from the other side. My eyebrows scrunched for a moment, figuring out who it was. My eyes shot open and I immediately sat up on my bed.

“Hanbin?” I asked, clearly sounding disbelieve.

“Yeah,” he said in his hoarse and low voice. Even though I already heard him, I was still in doubt that it was really him because he somehow sounded frail. I wasn’t sure.

“What is wrong?” I was concerned. He wouldn’t call in the middle of the night for nothing. There had to be something important.

“Hey, I’m sorry to wake you up at this time but-” he stopped. I unconsciously pressed my phone closer to my ear in anticipation, waiting for whatever he was going to tell me.

Hanbin took few deep breaths before continued, “-but can you come out for a second?” he sounded hesitated with his request. It seemed he spent lot of time debating with himself whether he should continue or not.

His request made me stood straight on both my feet; jumping off my bed. My heart was drumming inside my ribcage. I thought it would explode. He was outside my house? I believed it is very rare thing for him to do so. I wondered what kind of important thing he needed me to know that he couldn’t wait until tomorrow when we meet at school. It must be super important. He even sacrificed to come all the way here. I ran to my wardrobe and grabbed a cardigan. I was only wearing my sleeping gown. It wasn’t too thin but still revealing and inappropriate to me.

I ran to the front door after got the keys from the family room. I peeked from the curtain to see if he was really there and I actually saw him standing outside with his hands inside his jeans pocket. Hanbin was only wearing a red checkered shirt with a cap. I bet the weather was cold out there. I immediately inserted the keys and opened the door. Hanbin his back as I opened the door. He smiled as soon as he saw me.

“It’s cold. Get inside,” I ordered. Hanbin wordlessly nodded and walked inside my house in. I closed the door behind me and locked it back; leaving the keys dangling on the keyhole.

Hanbin immediately took of his cap. He looked around the dark house as it was his first time. He usually stopped in front of the gate when he sent me home or picked me up.

I turned to Hanbin and grabbed his wrist before dragging him upstairs to my room. I was usually uncomfortable if people in opposite gender entered my room but he was an exception. I couldn’t talk to him in the living room because it might wake my father or Nayeon up. I had no choice but to bring him to my room.

Still not saying anything, I closed the door and breathed heavily. I sat on the edge of my bed while Hanbin only stood there like a statue, looking at me with his dark brown orbs.

“Your room?” he finally opened his mouth for the first time as his eyes roamed around. I nodded. Hanbin chuckled as he sat on the bed beside me; sighing loudly.

I was really on the edge of my forbearance. Hanbin didn’t straightforwardly say the purpose of him coming here. I was getting impatient since he kept on being mute.

“What is it Hanbin?” I asked him softly, trying not to urging him.

Hanbin ruffled his hair as he threw his cap on my bed. “Something has been weighing my mind lately,” he confessed.

My gaze softened at his words. So this boy got some problem. I took his hand in sympathy. “You can tell me. I might offer some help.”

He turned to me, eyes meeting mine. Even when I was sitting, I could feel my legs got wobbly at his stare. His eyes penetrated mine and it was like he looked straight to my soul.

“Can I ask you something?” He asked, eyes searching something in mine.

I could only nod. My mouth was unable to even open, furthermore speak. My heart started to play another drumroll inside. What was he going to say? What was his problem? Hanbin preyed my hand from his arm and held it between his big hands. His hands were warm and comforting. He held me very softly as if he was afraid he would break my hand; as if I was fragile. He then shifted closer, closing the gap between us until our thighs touching. My mind got blank. I couldn’t think of anything. Every action he took made me lose my mind slowly.

Hanbin looked at me very attentively. His stare was sharp yet I could see something else in his eyes; tenderness. I could felt his thumb caressed the back of my hand in circular move. I gulped. I couldn’t foresee what was coming. He leaped his face forward slowly; eyes never left mine. I couldn’t look away. His eyes held my eyes fixed to his.

I felt the air had been out of my lungs when he spoke something beyond my expectation.

“Han Yeonjoo. I like you a lot. Would you let me be your boyfriend?”

I felt like I was getting struck by a lightning.

Did someone put a blood pump in my heart? Why did its beat get faster and faster?

Did someone take all of the oxygen around? Why did I find myself unable to breathe?

Did someone stop the time? Why did I find myself frozen?

My stupid mind tried hard to digest what Hanbin said. If my brain had worked properly, he asked me if I allowed him to be my boyfriend. I repeat, he asked me if I allowed him to be my boyfriend. My ears couldn’t believe what it just heard. No way. That was impossible. My mind must have tricked me. Why would he like me? As if me? Someone like me? Why me?

I gulped hard. “Me?” I asked in disbelief. I looked at him wide-eyed. Hanbin stifled an amused laugh, seeing my expression. Then he smiled very lovingly as one of his hand went up to cup my cheek.

His hand felt warm. I leaned into the comfort his palm provided as my heart fluttered; blasting with countless emotions that were new to me. Hanbin moved his thumb over my cheek; caressing it very cautiously. I closed my eyes at the touch. He didn’t answer my question verbally but his action said it all. But still, I was in doubt.

Hanbin read the uncertainty in my eyes. He knew that I was confused. I opened my mouth; attempting to speak but before I could say anything, Hanbin cut me off.

The next thing I knew, his lips were on mine.

---

Having a boyfriend was never a priority in my life. I enjoyed being single woman. Unlike those girls who always crave for men’s attention, I knew I was better than that. But sometimes attention could come without me even trying to draw. Like how it happened during my first day of school.

I somehow attracted this group of boys. They wanted to be friend. And now one of them had some sort of affection for me. And he didn’t hesitate to let me know his feeling. And he was seeking for an answer. But I didn’t know how to give him an answer.

Was he attractive? Very attractive. He had flawless figure from head to toe, with cold yet soft eyes.

Was he kind? So much that he treated me close to a princess.

Was he romantic? He wouldn’t come all the way here in the middle of the night just to say that he liked me if he wasn’t.

Hanbin kissed me tenderly. He definitely made sure that his feeling for me was properly conveyed. His lips moved against mine. Again, it was an experience I never had before. His hand was still caressing my cheek.

I felt my heart was beating like it almost burst out. My limbs were numb; his kiss put me under his spell that I was unable to move an inch. His touch sent shiver down to my spine. I shuddered, suddenly feeling cold.

Hanbin pulled back. He looked at me in anticipation; waiting for my answer.

I opened my mouth, but I was too stunned to say anything. I swallowed back the ‘yes’ that I was going to tell him. Why was it so hard?

Seeing me unresponsive, Hanbin leaned in again and locking his lips with mine for the second time. Unlike the pure and soft kiss previously, I felt he was going a little bit rougher. His left hand was still on my cheek while his right hand was on my shoulder. Again, I was lost into his kiss. It was my first time that I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know how to respond to the kiss. So I just stayed still.

I felt coldness all of sudden. Then I realized Hanbin had exposed my shoulder by pulling down the cardigan I’d been wearing to cover my night gown. I knew at the moment that I had to stop. This simple kiss could lead us into something further that I obviously didn’t want if we didn’t stop. A boy and a girl at night on the bedroom. Well, define yourself. That was not very good.

I put my hand on his chest and pushed him a little, breaking the kiss. I quickly draped my cardigan back on my shoulder. Hanbin looked at me confusedly. He wondered why I stopped the kiss.

I took a very deep breath. “Yeah.” I told him. Hanbin’s eyebrow rose at my word, silently asking for enlightenment. “Yeah, I mean yeah. You as, well, as my boyfriend.” I couldn’t speak properly as I was embarrassed. Was it the correct way to answer someone’s confession? I didn’t know.

A happy smile stretched on Hanbin’s face as he proceeded on my words. He then hugged me in his arms tightly. I smiled inwardly.

“So we are now dating, right?” I heard him say.

 

---

 

I'm not confident about this chapter though I revised it few times. How was it?  Leave some comments!

And finally the two move to a higher stage of relationship. I hope you enjoyed it guys^^ Have a nice day~