Eleven

Secrets & Lies

“You can go first. I’ll go get Gaeun,” I told them as I got up from my seat.

Before I could walk away, I felt someone prevent me doing so by gripping at my arm. I turned to the owner of the hand which happened to be Donghyuk. I gave him questioning look. He let go of my arm.

“Hanbin Hyung told us to get you,” he said with an unnecessary emphasize for the last word. Chanwoo nodded in agreement, only Junhoe who was unresponsive.

I frowned. “But he didn’t mind when I brought her along before,” I pointed out. Donghyuk shook his head.

I stayed silent for a moment. Gaeun and I always go for lunch together and for the last few times, Gaeun also joined the table whenever the boys asked me to come. It was unfair for me to suddenly ditch her, not even if she had ever ditched me. I sighed. At least, I had to inform her.

“You guys can go first,” I repeated. Donghyuk opened his mouth to argue again but before he could say anything, I cut him off, “I am just going to let her know.” Donghyuk closed his mouth in a little embarrassment as he nodded.

Junhoe was the first to leave, followed by Chanwoo and Donghyuk soon after.

I walked out once they exited the class and I proceed to Gaeun’s class which was just beside mine.

I couldn’t read Gaeun’s face when I informed her about Donghyuk’s request earlier. I expected her to feel offended or something but she remained expressionless. I saw her eyes moved left and right; it seemed like she was thinking about something. After a moment, she smiled.

“It’s okay. You can eat with them.”

I was really guilty earlier, thinking about how to break the news to her. And now, I was even felt guiltier when Gaeun said those words with cheerful tone and a warm smile.

“I’m so sorry Gaeun,” I apologized which she only shook her head in disapproval for the response.

Gaeun linked her arm with mine as she brought me out. “That’s okay, really. At least, walk with me to cafeteria.”

I smiled gratefully at her. I was so glad I had a very understanding friend like her. Nayeon suddenly popped up inside my mind. I questioned myself what I could possibly do in my past life that I deserve an amazing sister like Nayeon and a considerate friend like Gaeun.

When we arrived at the cafeteria, Gaeun excused herself to leave first. I guessed she did that in order to not made me felt anymore apologetic than I already did. I waved a small bye to her and she replied that she would wait for me after school. As she left, I made my way towards the usual spot of the boys. I saw them talking and joking with each other like how they usually did.

Jinhwan was the first one to notice me walking up to them. He smiled brightly as he gestured with his hand to come closer. For a split second I didn’t think it was necessary because for an obvious reason, I would bring myself to their table nonetheless.

“Hey Yeonjoo!” Jiwon greeted me excitedly with wave of his hand accompanied by his signature eye-smile.

I greeted him back; a gush of his energy passed to me. The others also welcomed me amiably, except for one person with an obvious reason. Chanwoo offered an empty seat next to him but Hanbin took my hand and made me sat in between him and Junhoe, forcing Yunhyeong to take the spot Chanwoo previously suggested in the process.

“I’m sorry,” I said to Yunhyeong remorsefully. He shook his head and told me it was okay.

I could feel Junhoe moved farther from me almost immediately once I sat down. Of course the other made the same action in order to give both me and them a space to breathe but I sensed Junhoe’s doing somehow had different motive. I took a look at him. Our eyes didn’t meet. I let my eyes linger at him briefly before I shrugged it off. It was Junhoe. I assumed he was just being himself.

“We already got yours,” Hanbin stated as he gave me my sandwich and milk.

I appreciatively took it from him as I sent a smile, mumbling a low thanks. Hanbin nodded and gave a small pat on top of my head. His sudden contact sent sort of electricity down to my body. He was at it again. I decided to pay no attention to it and began eating my sandwich.

“Hey Yeonjoo,” Yunhyeong called out, gaining my attention. I nodded at him, asking him to continue. He leaned closer all of sudden and I mirrored his action, moving a little bit towards him.

I was ready to listen at whatever he was going to say but my eyes caught something, more to someone honestly, behind him. I unconsciously gulped and leaned back on my seat with widened eyes. Yunhyeong noticed my sudden action and turned his head to see the cause. I supposed his expression also changed. I momentarily looked at the others and they were just as surprised as I was, if not more.

“Un…unnie?” I whispered lowly.

I was bewildered. I didn’t know what made her came all of sudden. My heart beat faster at every step she took.

“Yeonjoo-ah.” To my surprise, Nayeon came with a smile. I was too shocked to react as I kept frozen on my seat; not even blinking.

“Good…good af..afternoon, Sunbaenim” Chanwoo was the first to react. I heard Donghyuk and Junhoe followed moment later.

I pressed my lips in a tight smile. “What brings you here Unnie?” I calmly asked her. Was she going to confront the boys? I doubted she would do that but I couldn’t help but to feel worried.

“Nothing,” her smile turned warmer. Nothing? Well, sure everyone would easily believe she came all the way to here for nothing. That’s so Nayeon.

She turned her head from me to Yunhyeong. “Yunhyeong-ssi, can I have a moment?”

Not only me, but the others looked at her in bewilderment. Oddly, Yunhyeong was calm. The person that Nayeon came for was totally calm. Yunhyeong nodded and stood up, following Nayeon to some empty space. I looked at both of them anxiously. I spun my head to Hanbin and the others, to see if they any idea about what was happening but I sensed they had just as much clue as I was.

Seconds later, the conversation between Yunhyeong and Nayeon ended with –I widened my eyes to see if I saw it correctly- Nayeon smiling. Both of them bowed and they got separate their ways. Yunhyeong walked back to the table with more relaxed expression. I couldn’t wait to question him.

“What had happened Hyung?” Donghyuk beat me into it.

Yunhyeong smiled mischievously. He took a seat and raised his eyebrow in teasing manner. His expression said, “Guess it! Guess what had happened!”

“Well, I and Nayeon got paired up in a project. And she just told me that she already planned our working schedule for the project. It started tomorrow.” He stated, making the others nodded.

I digested Yunhyeong’s words momentarily. Wait. I didn’t even know they shared the same class.

As long as I knew, Nayeon disliked everyone in this little group, so her being nice to Yunhyeong was quite a surprise to me. Nayeon wasn’t the type to fake her niceness. She didn’t pretend to be friendly just because she needed to work together with them. I made a mental note to ask Nayeon about this.

“Okay. And what was the thing you want to tell me?” I reminded him about his attempt to talk which was being cut off by Nayeon’s appearance.

Yunhyeong gestured to the place where he was previously talking. “I was just going to say about that.”

I didn’t know how to respond, so I was just nodded my head to his statement.

I was about to continue eating when I felt goose bumps all over my body. I felt it again, the feeling like I had received jolt of electricity. I could feel my heart was about to explode. It beat in a dangerous rate which made me hard to focus. The others were talking and joking happily. Their voices were quite loud but I was unable to hear anything except my own heartbeat. Their loud voice was just amplified my heart’s sound.

I breathed deeply, trying my best to ignore whatever I was feeling that time but I couldn’t.

Hanbin’s hand kept moving up and down on my hair, caressing it in very affectionate way. I couldn’t find the bravery to lift my head up and face him or the others. I was just somehow very embarrassed at the situation. When he held my hand during the movie before, I thought it was just his reflect or something like that. But now seeing him doing it openly, as if he was aware of his actions, I couldn’t think it as his reflect anymore; he was definitely doing this deliberately.

I decided to bury my head in my sandwich. But the discomfort was still there. I lifted my hand to my hair, combing it with my fingers all the way down. Hanbin retreated back his hand only to placed them again moments later. He gave me a time to do what I wanted to do but he continued his action once I was done.

I suddenly noticed a stare. I looked to my right; Junhoe was looking at me weirdly. I guessed he noticed it. I felt even more embarrassed. Just when I was about to ask Hanbin to stop, he voluntarily did it himself. I was caught off guard at the sudden loss of the contact.

“Kim Hanbin,” I said lowly, turning my head to him.

“Hmmm..” He hummed in response, meeting my eyes.

I opened my mouth but I closed it again, I shook my head. “Nothing,” Then the bell rang and saved my life.

---

“Well, we’re going to examine the anatomy of some animals. This will be done in pair which I already decided. One of the pair should come to me to get a paper in order to know what your luck is for the day. And then dissect the animal with the proper procedure. Make a report once you’re done and submit it to me. You have time until the time ends and feel free to ask me things you’re unsure of,” my biology teacher explained everything at one without a pause. Fortunately, I managed to catch it, having my seat at the front. Well, it seemed like the order of the seats were the same in all places, included the laboratory. So if you had your seat at the front in normal class, expect it to be your seat everywhere for the rest of the year.

Then Mrs. Oh announced the pairs. I straightened my back on my seat when my name was mentioned. Unexpectedly, the name that came next was, “Goo Junhoe.” She said then proceeding to the next pairs.

I turned my head behind my shoulders. Junhoe wasn’t looking at me as he had his eyes glued to front. I couldn’t tell what his opinion was about us teamed up together. I mean, amongst the boys, he was the hardest to approach. Well it wasn’t like I’m trying to since I was just like him; hard to open up. Then again, I didn’t wish we would stay awkward forever.

With a sigh, I turned back and waited until Mr. Oh finished before going to the back of the class to join my partner.

---

“I told you. You should do it yourself,” Junhoe said in discontent. I had no response for him. I had no words to say. My sighs told it all.

I looked around to the other teams; they were already starting their works. Meanwhile I and Junhoe only sat there, looking at the unconscious big frog in front of us; not knowing how to start. Yes, I told Junhoe to get the paper from Mrs. Oh. He refused at first but I forced him. Ever since he walked to the front desk, I was silently praying to get anything except frogs or rats. And luck was really on our side. He came back with holding a transparent plastic bag with a frog inside.

I almost cussed under my breath.

He then put it in our table, taking it out from the plastic bag.

“Who’s going to do it?” I didn’t know where I should address the question, since both of us would definitely had the opposite answers on that matter.

I didn’t want to do it. I wanted Junhoe to do it. I’d willing to make the whole report all by myself as long as I didn’t have to make any contact with the poor animal. I tried to touch earlier and even with my perfectly gloved hands, I still could feel its slimy skin.

After few seconds of silent, he spoke. “I’ll do it.” I turned my head in surprise. Really? He would do it?

“Are you sure?” And he nodded but his face said completely otherwise.

At that point, I somehow started to feel guilty. He hated to do that as much as I did. It was unfair for me to use him for my own advantage. We should suffer together.

I shook my head. “Let’s do this together.”

Contrary to my expectation, he said no to my suggestion. “We both don’t want to do it. It means we should do it together,” I reasoned but he still refused.

“I can handle this. You can start something with the report.” I didn’t understand. Was he trying to be a gentleman? Did I hurt his pride as a man with my words? I didn’t know. But I was sure of one thing: it was not the kind of action Junhoe would do, even to a female. That was why I found it weird.

After some time we argued, I gave up. I let him do it himself. We would get nowhere in the assignments if we kept on fighting with words. He started out with the frog while I started with my paper.

I began writing few things I could whilst waiting for Junhoe so I could make full report about the anatomy. I threw few glances at him, secretly checking his work. His face was in absolute disgust and displeasure. He hastily cut the skin and opened it apart. It wasn’t properly done, to be honest, but I could see he was trying his best which I very thankful at.

Once he’d done, he shoved the cut frog to me, a cue for me to describe and draw the anatomy.

---

“Thank you,” I said to him after I submitted the report as we exited the laboratory. He only gave me subtle nods.

I didn’t know if he was just being his usual self or he was angry because he ended up dissecting the frog alone. I really couldn’t tell. He seemed to have problem all the time. Looked like our relationship would remained like this forever.

 

---

 

New MV, new chapter!
What do you guys think about #WYD??
I really like it! The guys are so boyfriend-material xD
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this chapter! Tell me what you think
Have a nice day^^