One

Secrets & Lies

I went back to the house, wanting to look at it one more time, for the last, or I promised would be the last. I looked at the interior of the room, one by one, making sure that the details would imprinted inside my mind; that I’d be able to recall them any time with no struggle. But I was sure I didn’t need to seek the house because I remembered them very well already. How could I forget the house I’d been living for all seventeen years of my life?

I took a deep breath. This would be the very last time. The white walls on most of the rooms, the dazzling marbles floor, the comfortable sofa where I used to sit while watching television, the wooden dining table, the kitchen that now had its utensils absent, the slightly torn floral wallpaper that filled every side of my room, and everything – this would be the last time I saw them.

Closing the door behind me, I blinked the threatening tears away. I turned around, giving it last look before entering the taxi that had already been waiting for me. Once I got inside, it took me as the building got smaller and farther away.

I sighed again and closed my eyes, deciding to take a moment of sleep before reaching the bus station.

---

Unnie, where are you? I’m arrived already

I sent the message to my sister and when I just pocketed the phone back, I heard a loud yell calling my name.

“Yeonjoo!” I turned around to the familiar voices and I saw my sister, Nayeon, whom immediately attacked me with a bear hug. I chuckled at her cute action; her back.

“I miss you!” she whispered, not really whispering since it was quite aloud.

I detached myself from her and shook my head in disagreement. I reminded her, “Unnie, we saw each other last week.”

Ignoring my statement, Nayeon unnie shrugged and linked her arm with mine and dragged me away. “Finally, we are reunited again,” said her in very cheerful tone; facing the road ahead her. I smiled, she was right. Well, bad things happen sometimes but I’m sure there is always something good out of it.

For the first time after years, I was finally here again, Seoul. The last time I went here was for school trip during my junior high school. But now, it wasn’t for a mere school trip; it was for moving permanently. I honestly still thought this was all surreal. All of these things that had happened to me. How could I would be the chosen one?

---

The trip to my father’s house was quicker than expected. In a blink of eye we already arrived. I exited the taxi as Nayeon unnie paid the expense.

I looked at the two-floor house before me and it was exactly the same as I remembered. The well-maintained gate, the garage at the side of the house, the mini terrace at the front and the stairs that led to it, the nicely polished wooden door, the mini garden; the bushes and flower pots, and also the tall two windows which perfectly closed by the curtain.

I smiled. It hadn’t change.

Nayeon unnie and I walked together; entering the house. I was amazed at how everything was the identical; no new adjustment at all; the smell and also the arrangement of the furniture. Typically my father, who doesn’t mind if anything remains the way it is.

I immediately went to the room which was now my room in the second floor. Nayeon told me that dad wouldn’t come until six and that I should start unpacking. Entering the room, I was greeted by a sight of medium sized bed with white cover, furniture, and also few boxes that I knew filled with my things.

I went to open the first box where I labeled as clothes and started placed them in the drawer. Soon, I already unpacked everything except one small box- personal things- it read.

I took my things one by one, putting them carefully in my preferred place, treating them as if delicate and expensive glass ornament. Memories gave me companion as I dug my things out.

“Dream catcher,” I said to myself. My mother gave me the dream catcher when I was 10. She told me that it would cast everything bad away. I put all my trust to her words back then. I used to believe it could shed all bad things, not just dreams.

It didn’t take a lot time before every single one of personal thing I had, had been all taken out, except for one thing. Smile automatically drew itself on my face. It was a framed photograph; my favorite framed photograph.

The picture was 5 years old already but the memory was timeless. I remembered it as clear as the day; like it just happened 5 minutes before not years. It was when my parents were still together. We were at the beach, having very quality time with each other. The 12 years old me and 13 years old Nayeon were smiling brightly; I think the sun even jealous of us because our smile shone brighter than its rays. My father had his arm on my mother’s shoulders as he held her close and both of them was smiling.

A fallen tear reminded me that I already stared at it for so long and that I longed for this kind of time. I quickly stopped and put the frame on my study desk.

Okay, that was the last thing. I looked around and I finally concluded that I was done. I then took a bath and had myself a moment of sleep before dinner.

---

“Dad!” I exclaimed when I went downstairs and saw my father already seated in the dining table.

I ran excitedly and hugged him. I missed him so much. “Yeonjoo, I’m sorry”, said my father.

I knew what he was referring to and quickly shook my head disapprovingly. What had happened are things that meant to happen. It’s fate. Nothing can go against it.

“No Dad, it’s okay. I still have you, don’t I?” I smiled reassuringly.

He smiled back at me and kissed my forehead. “About your request, yes, you can use your mother’s last name instead,” he confirmed. I hugged him again in gratefulness. “Thanks, Dad,” I whispered.

Nayeon suddenly came in during our little father-daughter moment and declared her arrival even though we saw her already. “Let’s eat, shall we?” she suggested, earning a chuckle from my father.

“I’m really happy that my two beautiful daughters are here with me,” he stated. It wasn’t just him, I was very happy too. I really missed time like this.

I knew I shouldn’t be all sad again when the mood was already good. But I can’t help to think what if mother was here. I, Nayeon unnie, Mom, and Dad, eating together in the table, conversing about our (Nayeon and I) day at school, with compliments here and there for our amazing cook –my mother.

How perfect it’d possibly be?

My father always said that we couldn’t blame God for taking our precious ones early. It was already decided. He also said that our mother is still alive by our hearts and memories. She wouldn’t stop loving us even though she wasn’t physically present with us.

I was glad I had amazing and wonderful parents.

“Tomorrow is your first day of school, right Yeonjoo?” asked my father, scooping a spoonful of rice into his mouth.

I nodded vigorously and replied, “Yes Dad.” I quite felt the excitement of entering new school. I never transferred school before so now I wondered how it’d turned out. Is it going to be good? Are the friends going to be friendly? No one knows.

My sister giggled in happiness. “I’m sure it’ll be amazing!” she exclaimed.

I turned and smiled at her. I love how Nayeon is such very optimistic person. She always believes that everything will go well. She’s complete the opposite of me. I always worry and anxious; afraid that things might go wrong. Maybe that’s why we’re siblings; to balance each other.

We continued our dinner accompanied with chats. We caught up everything that each other missed out. And it was definitely enjoyable time for the three of us. Since the divorce, we rarely had seen each other, let alone talking like this. Sadly, the last time we gathered together was for my mother’s funeral.

Okay, stop it Yeonjoo.

After dinner and helping Nayeon with the dish, I went straight to bed and rewarded myself a resting time after whole tiring day.

I closed my eyes with a speculative mind, how will tomorrow possibly turn out?

---

The whole ride to school was full of excitement and anticipation. My father personally called the office that he’d be late just so he could send me (and Nayeon of course) to school. I clasped my hand on top of my laps. Truthfully I was nervous, really nervous. I’d been an introvert so making new friends would be such burden for me.

Fortunately, Nayeon had reassured me the whole morning that it’d be okay, that the people are nice, that I unnecessarily worried, and that I’d absolutely made a lot of friends on my first day.

She never failed influence me with her optimism. I always got myself comforted.

Upon arriving, we both got out from the car after bidding goodbye and wishing our father a good day. We saw the car drifted away and made sure that it was completely departed before entering the gate.

“You’ll do well…” reassured her again, noticing my slight still-existing anxiety. I turned and smiled at her gratefully.

I looked around and a lot of students were just walking while enjoying their time. No one was having their attention to us but somehow they started to do so. I suddenly felt so self-conscious. They whispered amongst each other and I had the feeling it was ‘us’ they were gossiping about.

Did I wear the wrong clothes? No. Both of our uniforms were just the exactly the same as the other students. Did I apply too much make up? No. I only had the usual I had, nothing much or less. It soon hit me that my sister was popular. Judging from the words ‘Nayeon’ came out too frequent, I knew she had sort of reputation and fame.

I should’ve known. Of course she’d be famous. My sister is like a whole complete package. She is very beautiful, her height is average, and she has long black hair, fair skin, and also heart that resemble an angel. She isn’t a smartest student but she always got into the top 5 of her class which means she has brain as well.

While me, I felt like a squid compared to her. I do not have beautiful face as hers but I don’t think I’m that bad either. Several people said I’m quite beautiful too. We also don’t really have much resemblance but if you look a little bit harder, you’d be able to tell that we’re siblings. But most people think it is pointless to do so.

I always think Nayeon unnie was being unfair and had taken up all the good genes for herself (except my mother’s admirable dark brown hair), leaving me nothing but the recessive genes. Nayeon unnie is also good at socializing, contrary to me which is very shy person.

I should’ve known this. I was being overshadowed by her.

As if she read my mind, Nayeon unnie took my hand and squeezed it lightly in comfort, “Ignore them. They are just jealous of you.”

No. It’s you, I said but of course it was only for my inner self to hear.

I said nothing to her and she continued, “Let’s go to the office and get your papers.”

---

From the office, I got everything I needed; books, key for my locker, schedule, et cetra.

“Make sure to find me during lunch!” Nayeon reminded. “See you later!” said her with excited wave. I replied an ‘of course’ and returned her hand wave before both of us walked to the separate direction.

I sighed. Now, I was utterly alone. I went to my class and minutes later I found the door was already closed and the teacher was obviously doing his job; teaching. I smoothed my shirt and skirt before carefully knocked the door. The teacher nodded at me through the rectangular glass space on the door as a permission to enter. Nervously, I opened the door and walked inside.

I cursed under my breath once pairs of eyes had their focus on me. I really hated attention.

The teacher escorted me over and started the introduction for me. “Okay students, we got a new friend here.”

I bowed politely to him as he whispered; telling me to continue. I said, “Good morning everyone. I’m Han Yeonjoo, came from Daegu. I moved here because of some personal reasons.”

My classmates nodded their heads as my segment ended. The teacher, who I found as Mr. Yang, allowed me to take my seat which was the one at the very front. I understood why that seat was left unoccupied. Well, who would want to have your teacher right before your eyes?

Mr. Yang then continued his lecture and I got my book from my bag and started to join the others who were already busy taking notes.

I guess this first school day would go well like Nayeon unnie said.

 

---

 

First chapter! No appearance of the boys yet^^

Comments are appreciated!~ :)