Chapter 6 - A Hoshi, Seungkwan, and DK Interview

My Time With Seventeen

A few weeks after my Skype call with my parents I had met with the company again and signed the contract. They told me that they would handle my schooling at UCLA and process the papers to get me a visa so I could continue to live here legally. I was relieved that for the most part they were going to take care of all the paperwork stuff.

            I was now given a schedule for vocal lessons, dance, and everything else that I would need for a music trainee. I also had group practice with Seventeen who were already starting to prepare for their comeback since Adore U promotions were over. The only question for everyone including me was which unit team was I going to be joining.

            Most of us thought I would be joining the vocal team since my voice was up to par with Seungkwan and Seokmin. The company said they would come to a conclusion after my first month evaluation, which was coming up soon. Also they informed me that they were going to announce I was a trainee joining Seventeen soon. We were all anticipating all of the k-pop news sites blowing up with the news.

            It took about a week but Pledis finally released an official statement in an interview that I was going to be the upcoming member of Seventeen. I would also be the last member of Seventeen making it a fourteen member boy group. After the announcement, Joshua, Vernon, and I surrounded ourselves on computers looking at Allkpop, Soompi, Koreaboo and other websites to read the articles that they had written.

            “They still don’t know you are Jeonghan’s cousin,” Joshua said after we had went through all the articles. “But they all seem to be anticipating your debut with the group. This is so exciting.”

            “For real,” Vernon said nodding his head. “When you get to debut with us it is going to be awesome hyung. I am looking forward to it.”

            “Yo yo yo!” Soonyoung yelled running into the room. “Skyler come on you have to come with us!” He jumped on me throwing his arms around my neck. “Hyung!”

            “What is going on?” Joshua asked looking up seeing Seokmin and Seungkwan entered the room behind Soonyoung. “You guys are so loud right now.” Seokmin and Seungkwan smild at me.

            “Since you’re now officially a trainee,” Seokmin said. “You got to do a live streaming with us. We’re going to interview you Seventeen style and have a reveal all for all the lovely fans who are dying to know who you are.”

            “Alright alright,” I said smiling. “Let me up.” Soonyoung got off of me helping me off the ground, as the three of them dragged me out of the dorm to head off to do the interview.

            “We posted on Twitter that we were interviewing you,” Seungkwan said. “So a lot of people will tune in to watch the broadcast. It’s going to be pretty exciting.”

            The interview was to be held in one of the practice rooms. I got in there and saw a table and chairs had already been set up probably by them, with the laptop on the table. We stat down in the chairs as Seokmin checked the time telling us we had about five more minutes before we begun broadcasting.

            “Are you excited?” Soonyoung asked. “The first interview as a trainee and future Seventeen member?” He nudged my side grinning at me. “Its going to be so much fun! We’re going to have the fans also ask you stuff, so be prepared for anything random, they might throw at you okay?”

            “Okay,” I said nodding my head. “I’ll be prepared to answer any of these weird questions you’ll throw at me.” We waited for a couple more minutes before Seungkwan the laptop to start the broadcast but not before they shoved me out of the screen so I could make an entrance.

            “Hello hello hello!” Seokmin exclaimed waving his hands in the air along with Soonyoung and Seungkwan. “The three of us are back for another broadcast!”

            “This one is a super special one,” Soonyoung said. “So if you miss this you’re missing out on something super fun and amazing. As you all know Pledis has announced that there is a new power rookie. Seungkwan please explain more.”

            “Well guys,” Seungkwan said smiling. “The press are all over the news. We do have a new Pledis trainee and this is super great news! He will be training with us in preparations for the next comeback. You might be wondering why he’s training with us? Well its because when we comeback he will be our fourteenth member of Seventeen!” Seokmin and Soonyoung clapped their hands along with Seungkwan.

            “So this special broadcast is to discuss the new trainee,” Seokmin said. “So we have him with us today to interview him in the crazy special way we know how to do. If you want a serious interview this is not the one. So let’s welcome our friend, another fellow S, our soon to be fourteenth member Skyler!” The three of them clapped their hands as I walked over to them sitting in the seat between Soonyoung and Seokmin. “Please introduce yourself to the viewers!”

            “Hello,” I said bowing before waving my hands. “I am the new guy Skyler, it is nice to meet all of you. I hope you will welcome me with open arms.” They clapped their hands smiling at me.

            “Wow the comments on the broadcast are going crazy!” Soonyoung exclaimed. “Everyone is commenting about you Skyler hyung. You’re buzzing!”

            “So you are related to one of our hyungs,” Seungkwan said. “Please do tell the curious viewers who you are related to, good looks are running in the family with you and your cousin.”

            “Yes that is correct,” I said nodding my head. “Now everyone will know, my cousin is Jeonghan the one and only long haired vocalist of Seventeen! I’m not as pretty as him but I try my best.” I pretended to fix my hair looking at the screen.

            “Ay you’re quite the looker yourself,” Seokmin said. “And I see the resemblance between you and Jeonghan hyung. So you’re always from the United States like Joshua hyung and Vernon. Where in the USA are you from?”

            “I’m just like Joshua,” I said. “I come from Los Angeles, California. I was born there and raised there. My parents are both from Korea but they moved here in their college years and ended up staying in L.A. when they met each other.”

            “Aw that is so cute,” Soonyoung said smiling. “Love and then they had you and now you’re here. You didn’t expect to be signed when you had come to visit us in Korea. Congrats to that, its all because of the crazy viral video of the Han River Adore U performance video.”

            “Okay okay pause,” Seungkwan said raising his hands in the hair. “Let’s move on from the formal questions and start with the unique questions that we have prepared. Are you ready for the strange questions Skyler hyung?”

            “Throw them at me,” I said smiling. “I’m ready for any questions you have to ask me.” Seokmin smiled looking at Soonyoung. I was very interested in what these three were going to ask me. Seeing their past broadcasts they were always very entertaining.

            “So,” Seokmin said leaning in closer to me with a devious glint in his eyes. “Out of everyone in Seventeen who is your all time favorite. You can’t have more then one because what’s the fun in that?” Soonyoung nodded his head as he waited for my answer.

            Originally Jeonghan, my cousin had been my favorite and he still ranked high up there in being my favorite. But as of recently a certain Los Angeles man had been getting my attention more and more recently. Was Joshua my favorite or was it still Jeonghan.

            “I don’t know,” I said groaning. “That’s too hard of a question. I want to say its Jeonghan but at the same time I think its Joshua. Ask me this later and I might have a better answer for you.”

            “Ay I see how it is,” Seungkwan said faking some sniffles. “Clearly us three don’t make it up into your favorites. How sad, I mean clearly were the most entertaining members. So if you’re stranded in the desert what drink do you take with you besides water.”

            I looked at Seungkwan as he nodded his head awaiting my response. I tapped my chin as Soonyoung and Seokmin played some hand game with each other.

            “I would take apple juice,” I answered after a while. “Since I can’t take water which I would’ve answered with I’ll settle with juice but I’m sure I’ll still end up dying in the desert.”

            “No soju?” Soonyoung asked. “I saw you taking those shots when we went out to eat bbq.” He clapped his hands laughing. “One more serious question though, what team do you want to be placed in, rap, vocal, or performance?”

            “Well since I think my singing is better then dancing or rapping,” I said. This answer was obvious for me. “I would want to be in the vocal team.”

            “I have to admit his voice is up to par with mine,” Seungkwan said. Seokmin and Seungkwan looked at each other before looking at me. “Impromptu singing battle, right here, right now, Seokmin kick it off!”

            “Gladly!” Seokmin said. “Soonyoung you will be the judge of the competition okay?” Soonyoung nodded his head before Seokmin broke out into singing some sad sounding ballad, belting out high notes and showing off his impressive vocal range. I had to admit his voice was extremely good and he was talented for someone his age. All of Seventeen was talented for their young ages.

            Soonyoung waved his hands in the air for Seokmin’s singing, smiling widely even if the lyrics were sad. When Seokmin was done Soonyoung clapped the loudest. Seungkwan snorted, clearly knowing that Soonyoung was probably going to play favorites when judging us.

            “So I will go next,” Seungkwan said. “We got to let the anticipation build up to the maximum peak for the viewers to hear Skyler hyung’s voice.” He cleared his throat before beginning to sing a happy sounding pop song that still managed to show off his equally impressive vocals.

While listening to him I raked my brain trying to figure out what I was going to sing. Did I want to sing something in English or something in Korean? Probably English since that would stand out more since Seokmin and Seungkwan had both sung in Korean. Seungkwan finished and I clapped for him./

            “Okay okay,” Soonyoung said laughing. “The fans are about to lose it with waiting for Skyler hyung’s voice, so without any more waiting our last lovely contestant will show us what he’s got. Skyler what song will you be singing today? Enlighten us please.”

            “Hmm,” I said tapping my chin. “I think the song I will sing today for everyone watching is All Time Low’s song that I really like called Tidal Waves. Please enjoy it.” The three of them clapped for me before I closed my eyes hearing the song tune in my head before beginning to sing the sad lyrics of the song, even if some of the lyrics were sort of funny it was a mostly sad song that I had connected with pretty much the moment I first heard the song.

            I continued to sing the song for everyone watching and the three interviewers in the room, hitting the long notes and high notes in the song without much trouble. After I was done I turned to look at the three of them who just looked back at me speechless. I mean me singing Twenty before wasn’t super impressive as just now when I had sung a song with more emotion to me.

            “So how was it?” I asked trying to read their expressions, but it wasn’t like I was good at doing that. I widened my eyes when I heard someone not in the laptop camera frame clapping their hands at me. I turned around to see who belonged to the clapping seeing Mingyu smiling.

            “Hyung that was so amazing,” he said stepping into the camera frame of the laptop. He leaned down wrapping his arms around my shoulders. “Guys,” he said clearly talking to the audience viewing. “Do you think Skyler hyung is main vocalist material or what?”

            Soonyoung leaned in to look at the live feed of people commenting as Seokmin pulled up a chair next to me for Mingyu to sit in. He refused the chair before sitting down on my lap. I grunted a little since he was so tall and I could barely see over him.

            “The comments are going crazy,” Soonyoung said. “Let’s read some.” He looked at the screen of the laptop. “Skyler oppa has a really beautiful voice. Seungkwan and DK have good voices but I am used to theirs, Skyler’s was something totally brand new to my ears. I am so glad he is going to debut with Seventeen. He is seriously talented.” He turned to look at me or what he could see of me, thanks to Mingyu. “I think you’ve won.”

            “No fair,” Seokmin said pouting a little. “You’re supposed to choose me Soonyoung.”

            “I didn’t choose you,” Soonyoung said. “The fans clearly chose the winner of the vocal battle. But it was still impressive from all three of you.”

            “Skyler gets my vote,” Mingyu said. I had to wrap my arms around his waist to keep him from moving around to much on my lap and to support him.

            “Mingyu hyung,” Seungkwan said laughing. “I saw you and you only entered for his performance so you didn’t hear ours.” He poked the tall rapper. “Biased much?”

            “I think so,” I said nodding my head. “But I knew he would choose me anyways.” I wiggled my fingers along Mingyu’s sides getting a loud fit of laughter from him. “He’s my number one supporter.”

            “That’s right,” Mingyu said smiling at me. “I’ll be Skyler’s number one fanboy until the end!” I laughed smiling back up at him as the other’s just watched us slowly drifting off into our own world.

 

            So this chapter you can see that Mingyu also has a strong attraction to Skyler, whether he realizes it fully himself yet or not. But of course Skyler doesn’t know that, he is too oblivious to the fact. Anyways this chapter was a nice light hearted one that features the three funny guys of Seventeen that I always can’t help but smile when watching their broadcasts. I won't be able to update as frequently as I hope since I am busy with school but I will still try~ Thank you to everyone supporting this story!