Chapter 5 - Emotional Calls

My Time With Seventeen

* Bold text means talking in English 

When I returned to the Seventeen dorm with Seungcheol everyone had finally got home and we were told that we were getting fried chicken to eat for dinner and it would be here in about an hour.

            “So how did the meeting go?” Jeonghan asked as I took my seat beside Joshua on the couch. “I’ve been waiting all day to hear what the meeting was about.” I smiled taking out the packet of papers that was the contract. “What is that?”

            “So the higher ups at Pledis saw the video thanks to your manager,” I said beginning to explain everything. I had to build up some of the suspense of this news. It was once in an lifetime news that didn’t happen to everyone. “And well then they asked me to sing so I did and then they offered me this.”

            I set down the contract on the table as everyone leaned closer to see what was said on the paper. I smiled as their expressions began to change into amazement and excitement.

            “You got a contract!” Mingyu exclaimed being the first one to say something. “This is incredible news! I am so happy for you!” He clapped his hands smiling brightly at me. “So you’re going to be a trainee?”

            “Yes I would if I took the offer and signed it,” I answered. “They’ve given me some time to think about this and talk to my parents and stuff. And if I accept this I will be a trainee and this is the best part of the news. Seriously.”

            “Oh my goodness what is it hyung?” Seungkwan asked tapping his hand on his leg. “I can’t wait with this anymore! Tell us!” Seokmin and Soonyoung nodded their heads in agreement.

            “Okay okay,” I said smiling. “I would be a trainee yes and I would be training with you guys. And they told me that I would be joining Seventeen as the fourteenth member.”

            “Are you serious?” Woozi asked. “Wow! That is so cool!” He clapped his hands giving me a thumbs up. “So um what are you thinking right now about all of this? Do you want to be a trainee?”

            “I sort of do,” I said nodding my head. “I mean it sounds like a ton of work but it’ll work out in the long run. I just need to talk to my parents and see about what to do with school.”

            “That’s right,” Jeonghan said. “You’re still attending UCLA. Would you be putting all that on hold if you joined us and the company?” I nodded my head, just now realizing I couldn’t attend college and be here at the same time. It just wouldn’t work.

            “I don’t know yet,” I answered. “It’ll just be something to discuss with my parents. I would have to take a break from school there or transfer to a different school if I take this offer.”

            “Oh Skyler,” Joshua said to me. “ I need to talk to you for a second in private.” He stood up from the ground offering me his hand to help me up. The other members looked at the two of us as I took his hand standing up.

            “What is this?” Soonyoung asked giggling with Seokmin. “A lover’s talk or something of the sort?” Seokmin laughed loudly as they looked at each other like a couple of high school girls.

            “I think so, I think so,” Seokmin agreed. Joshua glared at the two of them as they continued laughing. “Is it not Joshua hyung?”

            “No it is not,” Joshua said crossing his arms letting go of my hand. “No lover’s talk, not anything of the sort. I’m not gay you know I don’t go that way and never will.” Jeonghan looked up at me with a worried look as I shook my head. “Come on Skyler.” He exited the living room as I followed behind him soon after to the room where his bed was in.

            “Nice going,” I said after he shut the door. “You made yourself very clear you’d never be gay. Cool.” I sat down on his bed. “Oops do you want me even sitting on your bed? I might rub my gayness on it and you might turn gay.” I crossed my arms watching as Joshua finally realized what he had said out there.

            “Skyler I’m so sorry,” Joshua said quickly. “I didn’t even think about you when I said that.” He sat down next to me. “I didn’t mean to offend you. You know I don’t mind that you’re gay. I swear.” He looked at me with a worried look. “I’m really sorry.”

            “Fine,” I said brushing it off shrugging my shoulders. “Anyway what did you want to talk to me about?” I looked at him just wanting to move on from what had happened out there.

            “No,” Joshua said shaking his head. “Not until I know you accept my apology and know I didn’t mean to upset you.” He took my hands squeezing them lightly. “Please accept my apology Skyler.” He jutted out his bottom lip giving me a pouty puppy dogface.

            “Okay okay,” I said looking down. “Just let’s move on from this. I accept your apology now tell me what you have to talk about.”

            “Um well after dinner I am going to Skype with my parents,” Joshua explained. “And I still want you to be with me when I talk to them. That is if you want to. I would really appreciate it if you were here with me.” He smiled at me waiting for my answer as I slightly melted inside. How could I say no to him when his smile was one of the most beautiful smiles I’d ever seen.

            “Sure,” I answered. “I would be honored to be with you when talk to your parents after dinner. And if you don’t mind would you sit in with me when I discuss the contract with my parents. It might help to have someone in the business give some insight. I am thinking of signing the contract.”

            “You are?” Joshua asked as I nodded. “Skyler that is one of the best things ever. And if you do decide to do this it’ll be awesome training with you and making a comeback while you make your debut.” He let go of my hands wrapping me in a huge hug.

            “Knock knock,” Wonwoo said knocking on the door before opening it. “Just wanted to let you guys know the fried chicken is here and if you want your fair share you better come out. Dino, Vernon, and Mingyu are like wild animals out there.”

            “Shoot!” Joshua exclaimed. “Not my fried chicken!” He let go of me, patting my shoulder before running out of the room. “Put the chicken down until I get a piece!” I smiled as I got off of the bed.

            “So,” Wonwoo said looking at me. “That was a pretty tight hug going on between the two of you.” He raised an eyebrow at me smiling a little bit. “Were Soonyoung and Seokmin wrong about it being a lover’s talk?”

            “Yes they were,” I answered nodding my head, trying to pop whatever strange delusion people were thinking. “We just had something to discuss. Nothing that special. Let’s go eat fried chicken.” I motioned for Wonwoo to go to the living room with me.

            “Look Skyler hyung,” Wonwoo said closing the door for a second. “Its okay if you are you know…” He smiled at me. “Gay, because I haven’t told anyone this but I sort of have a thing for Mingyu.”

            “You do?” I asked widening my eyes. “So meanie couple?”

            “I want it to be real,” Wonwoo said. “But I don’t know how he feels. He is probably just doing it for the fans I don’t know. Please keep this a secret okay?” He looked at me with worried eyes.

            “Don’t worry,” I said patting his arm. “I won’t tell anyone about this. And mums the word on me and my uality too okay?” He nodded his head as I wrapped an arm around him. “Now let’s eat this fried chicken while we still can.”

 

********

 

            After dinner Joshua and I headed out of the dorm with his laptop to the practice room that was located on the bottom floor of the building. It turns out Seventeen wasn’t the only group living in this building. Apparently a few other rookie groups lived in the building and they all had their own practice rooms.

            “Here we are,” Joshua said. unlocking the door to the practice room, turning on the light switch. “Welcome to the Seventeen practice room.” He sat down against one of the walls next to the plug outlet turning on his laptop. “Here sit.” He patted the spot next to him smiling at me. I nodded my head sitting down next to him stretching my legs out as he Skype.

            After a few rings on the computer screen from the app the video camera and we were looking at the screen that now was showing Joshua’s parents. Joshua immediately broke into a bigger smile when he saw them.

            “Mom, dad,” Joshua said. “I am so glad we get to Skype. I missed you both a lot since the last time we had the chance to talk, which was a really long time ago.”

            “Its good to be talking with you too Joshua,” his mom said smiling at her. “Joshua who is the handsome boy next to you?”

            “Oh mom and dad this is Jeonghan’s cousin Skyler who is visiting us for the summer and possibly longer,” Joshua answered. “He is also from L.A. like I am. Isn’t that awesome?”

            “Its nice to meet you both,” I said bowing my head. “Joshua is a really great guy and has been really nice to me since I have been here. He makes me feel a little bit at home since we both come from the same place.”

            “That is really nice to hear,” Joshua’s dad said to me. “So Joshua we saw Adore U online and we were really impressed with it. We’re so proud of you son.”

            “Thank you,” Joshua said smiling as his hand found mine and we exchanged glances at each other. “I’ve finally gotten a chance to debut. Did you get the album that I sent to you?”

            “Yes we got that a while ago,” his mom answered with a nod of the head. “But um sweetie there is something both of us want to know.” She looked at her husband as they exchanged a silent message. “Well the thing is in Adore U we noticed you had only one line and it was very very short. Why?”

            “Um well,” Joshua said not sure how to answer that. “Well um that’s just how the lines ended up in the end when we got the song. I know I’ll get more in the future. And I am working harder to get better and better.”

            “Its just we thought you would sing more solo lines,” his dad said. “But I guess your part was better then nothing.” I could tell by the tone in his voice and from his expression and Joshua’s mom’s expression that they were disappointed and were trying hard to not hurt Joshua’s feelings.

            “I’m sorry,” Joshua said ducking his head down to break his gaze with the screen. “I will have more lines in the future. Listen I have to go, I have a lot left to do before the day is over. So talk to you soon okay?”

            “Alright son,” his mom said. “We’ll talk to you sometime soon. Stay healthy and work hard.”

            “Work hard Joshua,” his dad said. “Bye.” Joshua waved as they signed off of Skype. He let out a long sigh keeping his head down. I looked over to him seeing how deflated he looked after the phone call with his parents.

            “I guess I’m not that impressive,” Joshua said after a while. “They weren’t lying. I really did only have one line in Adore U. All my training to debut and that’s my big show to the whole world. And I’m on the vocal team.” He dabbed at his eyes with his free hand signaling that he was crying.

            “Hey,” I said quietly wrapping my arm around his shoulder. “Its just the beginning for you. You’re going to get more lines in the future and in the album. Everyone is going to realize how sweet and melodious your voice is and they’re going to want to hear more of your singing. I know I do, so when you do sing its special to me and everyone else that is your fan.”

            Joshua looked at me as he kept crying. I smiled lightly at him as he rested his head against my chest crying into my shirt. He wrapped his arm around me as I rubbed his arm lightly in circular motions.

            “My parents sounded so disappointed,” Joshua mumbled. “All of their waiting and this was all I had to show for it.” He looked up at me before looking at my shirt. “I’m sorry I got your shirt stained with my tears.”

            “Don’t even worry about it Joshua,” I responded. “Your parents are still proud of you and everything, that’s not going to change. Not ever. They’re your parents after all.”

            “Thanks,” Joshua said smiling at me as he wiped his eyes as he finally stopped crying. “You’re making me feel better Skyler.” He leaned up a little kissing me on the cheek. “I mean…” He turned a bright red as I widened my eyes at what he had done. I looked away blushing madly as he turned away in the other direction. “Sorry... I didn’t mean.”

            “Its okay,” I said quickly. “Um well let’s talk to my parents about this contract and stuff.” Joshua nodded as he handed the laptop over to me and I typed a few things before turning on the camera to Skype with my parents.

            “Skyler!” my mom said as soon as I saw her and my dad come into focus on the screen. “How is Korea? Is Jeonghan treating you okay? Where are you right now?

            “Don’t worry mom,” I said smiling. “Jeonghan has been super super nice to me. I am at one of the Seventeen practice room right now with one of the other Seventeen members, Joshua.

            “Its nice to meet you both,” Joshua said smiling, bowing his head a little bit. “It is really fun having Skyler stay with us in our dorm.

            “So listen,” I said. “We uploaded a dance version of Adore U onto Youtube and the top people of Pledis saw it and well they offered me a contract to join the company and eventually become the fourteenth member of Seventeen. But I want your approval first.

            “Skyler that is amazing news,” my dad said smiling as mom clapped her hands for me. “Of course you have our approval, right honey?

            “Yes one hundred percent,” mom said nodding her head. “If you want to sign the contract and become a k-pop star then we will support you all the way. We know how much you like music.

            “What about school though?” I asked. “The original plan was just to stay for the summer but if I sign this I’ll be living in Korea and stuff. I’ll need a green card or whatever.

            “Don’t worry,” Joshua said to me. “The company will help you get all of the stuff you need for that. They did that for me when I moved over here.

            “You can put school on hold,” dad said. “Or try to take a few things here and there in Korea. You can find out more from the company I would assume.” Joshua nodded his head at me. “So what do you want Skyler? Do you think you’ll sign the offer?

            “I think I want to take the offer they are giving me,” I said after a while of silence. “I didn’t think I would do more with music then keep it a hobby, but now I’m starting to think I want to do it. I mean it sounds like a lot of fun and performing and doing music with such amazing people sounds like a one in a lifetime experience.

            “When do you meet with the company again to discuss your answer?” mom asked. “When did you get the contract?

            “I got it today and I am going to be meeting again with them next week,” I answered. “I am just nervous what if stuff doesn’t turn out well for me. What if no one wants me to join Seventeen?

            “Don’t stress yourself out,” Joshua said looking at me. “Remember all those comments on the video. You were really well received. I don’t think you need to worry about that at all.

            “I think its settled then,” dad said smiling brightly at me. “You’re going to sign the contract right?

            “Yep I think so,” I said nodding my head. “You guys heard it first I’m going to eventually become a member of Seventeen.” Joshua smiled brightly as his eyes turned into perfect crescents as he hugged me.

            “Welcome to the official diamond life,” Joshua laughed. “You’re one of us from now on.

 

 

So yeah some Joshua moments and now you know Skyler is going to take the offer and join as a trainee to be in Seventeen!