Chapter 25 - Return

My Time With Seventeen

2021 - 

At the beginning of the year it was announced that all the Korean born members of Seventeen would be going off to do their mandatory military service. It came as a bit of a shock since none of them were at the age maximum, but they were going to get it finished, since Seungcheol was once again taking a mental hiatus, along with Seungkwan and Jeonghan. 

I’d talked to Jeonghan about what he was going through to try and help him in anyway I could. Mental health was a serious issue that got swept to the side way too often. I hoped that everyone doing their two year service would be okay. 

What came as a bigger surprise was that after the news of their enlistments I got a call the next day from an all too familiar number that I’d forgotten was still saved on my phone. Puzzled I answered the call from my former manager from when I was in Seventeen.

“Hello Skyler,” he said after I’d picked up the call. “I know this is out of the blue but we have a proposition for you to consider. We’re also on a time crunch though, so we’re unfortunately giving three days to think about it but have you seen the news of the members enlisting?” 

“Yes, I have seen the news recently,” I answered. “I was shocked but at least they are all getting it over together.” 

“Exactly,” he said. “Anyways, that means Joshua, Vernon, Jun, and Minghao will be left alone for two years, and Pledis and Bighit want to make a subunit for them. It might be a risky move but their willing to try it, they would like it if you came back and joined the subunit. If reception is good, you could even rejoin Seventeen if you want. The scandal from before is a thing of the past and there is actually still quite a fanbase that wants you back in the music industry.” 

I took a deep breath, trying to figure out what to say. All of this news just fell down on top of me out of nowhere. Pledis, and even BigHit was willing to have me come back to be a part of Seventeen again, even if it was in a subunit form. I already knew my answer but that would mean having to arrange my whole life over again. I was finally entering my second to last year of college, but if I went back to Korea I would have to put my degree on pause again. Honestly I was willing to do it though, if it meant I could work with my best friends again. 

“I don’t need to think about it,” I said with a smile already forming on my face. “I’m definitely in, but I need to contact my school and everything. But I am definitely in.” 

“Fantastic!” manager said with excitement in his voice. “Oh and keep this a surprise from the members. They don’t know the company has asked you to join, they think it’ll just be the form of them. We’ll keep in contact with you with arranging flights and everything once you sort out your schooling.” 

“Thank you so much for this opportunity,” I said. “I will contact you once I have everything settled.” After the phone call I quickly found my parents downstairs at the dining table for breakfast to tell them the news. 

This was a wild spur of the moment but I wanted to take this adventure. My parents listened to me explain everything that I knew, and while they were shocked eventually they agreed and were ready to support me going back to Korea again. 

With their approval I quickly showered and was in the car driving to UCLA to tell them I would have to be putting my degree on pause again for the time being. Everything was running smoothly even at the last minute and the more I thought about the subunit idea the more I was getting excited. I couldn’t wait to see the looks on their faces once they found out I would be back with them. 

The school was a little taken aback when I told them what I was going through but the matter was quickly settled. I sent a message to the manager telling him that everything was taken care of. The school had even given me an option of taking credits in Korea if I wanted to and having them transferred. 

Everything got taken care of pretty quickly and I was emailed the contract to rejoin Pledis and BigHit which I looked over with my parents. Everything in the contract seemed appropriate and was signed the same day and sent back to them. Then I was given a plane ticket and told I would be leaving LA two days later. 

Everything was moving at a rapid pace and the two days flew by in the blink of an eye. I had packed all my belongings in suitcases and was being dropped off at the airport by my parents. 

“Congratulations Skyler,” my dad said giving me a tight hug. “We’ll be rooting for you and your musical endeavors.” 

“Have a great time, again,” my mom said with slightly teary eyes. “I hope you have a lot of fun and make a lot of people happy.” 

“Thank you mom and dad,” I said. “I’ll message and call you as much as I can.” Saying our final goodbyes I was entering the airport, checking my bags, going through security and boarding the plane to Incheon. After enduring the painfully long flight I was landing in Korea mid-morning. 

After through security and customs I saw my old manager waiting for me with a big smile on his face and a sign with my name on it in his hands. I quickly walked over to him, dropping all formalities to give him a hug. 

“Welcome back Skyler,” he said. “It’s so good to see you again.” 

“Thank you for inviting me back,” I replied. Together we walked out of the airport towards the parked van, putting my suitcases in the back. Our first stop was to head to the dorm to move me back in. The company was scheduling all my appointments to get me the proper paperwork to work in Korea again. I really had no idea how long I would be staying in Korea after the military services were over. 

“Isn’t the company worried about me being back with Joshua again?” I asked, deciding not to avoid the question as we drove into Seoul. 

“They were at first,” manager answered. “But they eventually decided that if the fans were welcoming and open to your return that was what was most important. Why are you planning on dating him again?” 

“I don’t know,” I responded. “I still care for him deeply, but I don’t want to do anything to jeopardize the subunit.” 

“Well whatever happens we’ll get through it,” manager said. I thanked him by bowing my head. Even after all these years of being out of Seventeen, my old manager still seemed to care about me even when we hadn’t been in contact. 

The drive to Seoul seemed to take forever, each second we waited in traffic felt like torture. I wanted nothing more than to take my phone out to tell my friends the news. I kept my hands tightly together on my lap to refrain myself. When we finally pulled up to the dorm, I quickly bolted out of the van, bowing my head to manager before grabbing my suitcase from the back. 

“We’ll be in contact!” he said with the window rolled down. “Enjoy yourself for today Skyler!” I waited until the van was turning the corner before heading into the building, heading up to the same familiar floor. Everything looked the same, but the energy felt different. I knew that almost everyone would be gone, already doing their service, but it was still going to be amazing seeing some of them, especially Joshua. 

Standing in front of the door to the old dorm, I knocked on the door waiting for someone to open it. I heard some voices behind the front door before it was pushed open. 

I couldn’t even say anything before I was pushed backwards into a bone crushing hug. My senses immediately filled with the familiar, lovely scent of apples and vanilla. I let go of my suitcase to hug Joshua tightly, refusing to move another step. 

“Skyler,” Joshua whispered. “I can’t believe you’re here.” 

“I have big news,” I answered. We pulled back just a few inches to smile at each other. His smile was brighter than the sun, sending my stomach spiraling with butterflies. Joshua took my hand, leading me into the dorm room. I quickly left my shoes at the door, pulling my suitcase inside. 

Once I was seated on the couch, Joshua sat down next to me, leaving no space between us. Our bodies were pressed together, legs hooking around legs. 

“The others are out right now,” Joshua answered. “They’ll be back for dinner.” 

“Well I can’t wait to tell you,” I said, looking at him. His big chocolate eyes were pulling me in. My heart couldn’t stop swelling, and my insides felt like fire. “I’m going to be a part of the foreigners subunit.” 

“Really?!” Joshua exclaimed. “You’ll be joining myself, Minghao, Vernon, and Jun? For the whole entire two years?” 

“For the entire two years,” I confirmed. “And I could possibly stay longer if the subunit does well. And if the fans want me to stay after the others get back.” 

“I can’t believe this!” Joshua yelled. He wrapped his arms around me, bouncing with happiness. “I get to be on stage with you again. This is the best news ever. I can’t wait for the others to find out. But first you need to move back in to my, our room. If you want?” 

“Of course I want that,” I said. “Let’s go.” We got up from the couch, quickly walking down the hallway, opening the door to my old room I’d shared with him. It looked pretty much the same, with a few new decorations. Their was still the familiar view from the balcony. This was home. 

I barely had time to set my backpack on the ground before I was pushed up against door, looking Joshua directly in the eyes. By the way he was looking I could tell what he wanted and I felt the same way. During the time we’d been broken up, and we’d seen each other, nothing had ever transpired but this was different now. I was going to be seeing him for at least the next two years. 

“I’ve missed you like this,” Joshua whispered. I could feel his breath against my lips. I watched as his eyes trailed down my face. “Did you miss me?” 

“Every day,” I mumbled before closing the distance, pressing my lips against his. Our soft kiss quickly turned heated, and soon I was picking him off of the ground, feeling his legs wrapping around my waist. I continued to kiss him, as I carried him to the bed, before falling down on it, pulling him on top of me. 

Continuing to kiss, we carelessly threw our clothes around the room. I was craving his skin, and my fingers couldn’t keep still. It was like muscle memory as I traced every line that made Joshua’s body. This was heaven. 

The two of us stayed in bed, under the covers tangled together, talking as we waited for the others to return home. We didn’t discuss what exactly we were but I was open to anything. If he wanted to be friends with benefits or boyfriends, I was more than happy to comply. I’d missed his touch, and everything had felt like it had been the first time. 

“Have you been working out?” Joshua asked as his fingers trailed idly along my stomach. “It feels more defined than I remember.” 

“I’ve been using one of my school’s gyms a few times a week,” I answered. “Not that I had anyone to impress. Mostly just did it for myself.” 

“Well now I get to enjoy it,” Joshua smiled, pressing his lips against my cheek. “I really missed being with you like this Skyler. I didn’t realize how much I missed you like this, until now.” 

“Me too,” I said, rubbing a patch of Joshua’s thigh. “You know I still love you right?” 

“I love you too,” Joshua said shly. “Never stopped.” 

 

______________________________________

 

This wasn't the original ending I had in mind, but I changed my mind about halfway through. I hope you enjoyed this story and thanks for sticking around for this extremely long and sometimes poorly written ride. It took a long time to get to the end but I will be able to look back on this story and smile and how goofy and sometimes serious it was. Thank you for everyone that's subbed, upvoted and commented. It means so much that even just a few people took interest in my idea and wanted to read about it. With this story, it marks the end of me writing with OC characters. Halfway through this I realized that I had stopped liking reading fanfics with OC x idol pairings and only wanted to stick with actual ships. Anyways, thank you again, and this long story has finally come to a close. 

Thank you

alsk20