Chapter 13 - A New Dorm

My Time With Seventeen

March 2016…

 

            The remainder of last year I made my official debut with Seventeen with the second mini album Boys Be. Mansae further strengthened Seventeen’s growing popularity and I was received well from not just fans but the public. My parents were extremely proud of me calling me the minute the song was released with the music video. Who would’ve thought their only son would now be a kpop star?

            Joshua and I were a happy couple but in complete secrecy. The only people that knew Joshua and I were dating were my parents, Jeonghan and Wonwoo. We were both too scared to tell the other members and definitely telling Joshua’s parents was out of the question.

            With how religious Joshua was he told me his parents were a million times worse. It just wouldn’t be a good time to tell them the news yet but Joshua promised me he would tell them with me there.

            Promotions for Mansae finished and with the new-year, began the new preparations for the first Seventeen comeback of the year. But before that we got the great pleasure of filming a hilarious reality show One Fine Day. It turned out to be a lot of fun even though at the beginning we thought it was complete hell.

            Now it was March and we were heavy in preparation for recording the album which was going to be the first full length album. Soonyoung was busy working with the choreographer to come up with a unique and fun dance. Meanwhile a lot of us were writing lyrics and working on the album. It was seriously great how Pledis gave us so much creative freedom with our music.

            “Guys group meeting!” Seungcheol yelled. We all joined Seungcheol in the living room as he stood next to our main manager. I sat down on the floor with everyone else as Seungcheol smiled brightly. “This is really exciting news.”

            “What is it?” Seokmin asked looking from Seungcheol back to the manager and back again. We were all on edge because it wasn’t everyday the manager had something to tell us. Usually he’d tell Seungcheol who would then tell all of us what they had said. So today must be major because our manager was in here.

            “The news is you’ll be moving out of this dorm,” manager hyung said looking down at all of us. “Everyone at Pledis has decided that due to your tremendous hard work last year you shall be moving to a bigger and better dorm! This new one has three bathrooms, and the rooms situation will be in pairs of two, so it’s quite the spacious dorm.”

            A dorm with seven bedrooms? That sounded so amazing! I had actually never gotten my own mattress so I was really excited that I would be getting my own bed in this new dorm. Jeonghan could finally sleep peacefully without having to be squished in with me. And three bathrooms, I don’t think any of us would have to tell you have amazing that was. It was a huge upgrade from the one bathroom we all had been sharing up until this point.

            “So start packing so you can move out tomorrow,” manager hyung said. “We’ll be by with the company vans in the morning to move you to the new dorm. Be ready to go. And decide who’ll be rooming with who. Each room gets two members. I’ll leave you to it.” He nodded to Seungcheol before leaving us a loud excited chorus of voices at the prospect of moving.

            “This is incredible!” Seungkwan yelled. “A bigger dorm with three bathrooms!” He threw his hands in the air cheering. “New Year’s wishes do come true!”

            Joshua smiled brightly at me as we were thinking the same thing. We had to make sure we would be sharing a room together. It would be perfect, we could be as lovey as we wanted and no one would know because it would be our room.

            “How’re we going about with the room situations?” Minghao asked. “Should we just get to pair up and choose who we want?” Jun nodded his head as a few others did as well. That was the best method in the eyes of the majority.

            “Yeah,” Seungcheol said nodding his head. “That seems like the easiest way to do it. So I guess on the count of three just pair up with the person you want to room with.” I looked over to Wonwoo who gave me a small thumbs up. I smiled at him knowing he would get a room with Mingyu that would make him really happy.

            Seungcheol counted to three as everyone stood up. I didn’t have to travel far since Joshua was right next to me. We immediately became a pair which was no surprise to anyone. Mingyu frowned but eventually went to Wonwoo. I was seriously going to have to talk to him to ask why he was more moody these days.

            It seemed like every time I mentioned Joshua his attitude would darken and he would just say snippy comments. Definitely getting to the core reason of why Mingyu was upset was a top priority to me now. I didn’t want him to be upset with me for some reason.

            When everyone was paired up we split up to begin packing our suitcases to be ready to move out tomorrow morning. Luckily for me I was done pretty quickly since I really hadn’t brought a ton of clothes to begin with, I was probably going to have to buy more clothes later, it was no fun wearing the same set of shirts every week.

            Finished, I went to find Mingyu to talk to him. He was busy folding his clothes placing them neatly in his suitcase. I sat down next to him grabbing some shirts folding them the same way he was folding. He looked up looking at me as we locked eyes.

            “You’re upset about something,” I said as I went back to folding his shirts. “And I think it has something to do with me.” I looked up briefly seeing Mingyu looking away uncomfortably. “Mingyu you can tell me anything.”

            Mingyu nodded his head still remaining silent as he began folding pants into the suitcase. I tapped my hand on the ground indicating I was still wanting an answer for his weird behavior.

            “Skyler hyung,” Mingyu said eventually. “You always spend your time with Joshua hyung, I want to spend time with you too but I can never get you alone. You two are like attached at the hip.” Mingyu let out a sigh as he ran his hand through his hair.

            So this was what it was about. Mingyu wanted to spend more time with me and I’d been so focused on Joshua I didn’t even notice I was sort of neglecting the other members. I hadn’t thought that they would also want to spend time with me. How stupid could I have been?

            “We can spend more time together Mingyu,” I said. “I’m sorry that I haven’t been hanging out with you as much as before.” Mingyu smiled lightly at me as I placed the remaining folded shirts into his suitcase. “So cheer up okay?”

            “Okay hyung!” Mingyu exclaimed. I smiled at him before getting up to go help Jeonghan pack his things. Now that the whole Mingyu situation was cleared up for now I didn’t have any more problems, well except probably when it came time to learn the dance, I was a slow learner at that so I would need all the teaching I could get.

            “Do you think I’ve been spending all my time with Joshua?” I asked as I sat on the floor next to Jeonghan. He looked up from his packing before nodding his head without even having to think too long about my question.

            “Without a doubt,” Jeonghan answered. “But I mean it’s cute though. Everyone on the Internet now ships the two of you together. Joshsky couple or whatever. Why do you ask?”

            “Mingyu just seemed upset when I talked to him saying all I did was spend time with Joshua,” I answered explaining the taller male’s problem. Jeonghan just nodded his head as he finished packing his things.

            “It seems like Mingyu was jealous,” Jeonghan said after listening to everything. “He really thinks of you as a good friend Skyler. I could see why he would be upset about you spending so much time with Joshua. But now that you’ll be sharing a room you can spend more time with all of us.”

            That was true, with the room situation I could Joshua all to myself in closed corners and I could give more attention to everyone else when we were all together. Jeonghan was right and I wasn’t going to keep my time only focused on Joshua.

            The next day we woke up early due to the manager knocking on our door. I groaned wiping my eyes before putting on my sweatshirt. No point in putting on real clothes since we would be spending the majority of the day moving. I joined everyone with our suitcases ready to move to the dorm.

            “Everything else will be moved over later in the day,” manager hyung said. “So let’s head down to the vans and go off to your fancy new dorm.” We all cheered loudly before heading down in trips to get into the company vans.

            “New dorm new dorm!” Dino yelled. “New dorm!” We all began to join in his cheering as the van pulled away from our old dorm off to the new dorm. It was in a more fancy part of the city, it was like a sign of passage when groups made it they usually upgraded their living conditions.

            The drive to the new dorm took about an hour because as usual we got stuck in traffic. We all crammed near the windows as the van approached our new dorm. It was part of a huge apartment looking complex, all sleek shiny and brand new looking.

            “Look at this place!” Soonyoung exclaimed. “Five star for sure!” We quickly got out of the vans grabbing our suitcases. I stared up in awe at the sheer height of this building. It was at least twenty stories tall. Eventually manager hyung pushed us towards the door and we were in the elevator heading up to the seventeenth floor. How cute they got us the seventeenth floor because we were Seventeen.

            “Ready guys?” Seungcheol asked as we stood in front of the door. He’d been given the keys as our managers that drove us here went back to the old dorm to pack the rest of our things. According to them they’d remodeled so three apartments on the floor were now one big dorm for all thirteen of us.

            “Open it already!” Woozi exclaimed. Seungcheol grinned before unlocking the door pushing the door open as we entered the new dorm. To say it was fancy would be an understatement. The living room alone was massive equipped with couches and lounge chairs, and a flat screen on the wall. There was a view that led to a nice balcony giving a nice view of the city.

            “Amazing!” Jeonghan yelled. The kitchen was equipped with all the newest high tech appliances and tools for our cooking desires. No doubt we would be happy since we’d all grown a special liking for cooking food after One Fine Day.

            “I want to see the rooms now!” Jun exclaimed. We’d told manager hyung the rooming arrangements yesterday. We all made our way down the hall seeing the seven doors that would belong to our bedrooms. “Our names are on the doors!”

            “Wow!” Mingyu yelled grinning. “This is seriously luxurious!” He pointed to the door that had Wonwoo and his name on it. “Let’s see our new room hyung!” I grabbed Joshua’s hand as I opened the door that had our name on it.

            It was a pretty spacious looking room. Two beds comfortably on either side of the room, there was a closet, and lots of walking room around the room. Our room was lucky to have it’s own balcony.

            “This is amazing!” Joshua exclaimed as he closed the door behind us. We set our bags by the beds looking around at our new bedroom. “And a balcony!” He opened the doors to the balcony letting the crisp air flow into the room.

            “I like it!” I said grinning. Joshua nodded his head before sitting down on one of the beds motioning for me to join him. I didn’t need to be told or gestured twice. I crawled onto the bed before kissing him on the lips.

            Having our room was already turning out to be something I loved. We had so much privacy we could do whatever we wanted in the room. Joshua laughed lightly as we continued to kiss each other. I pushed him gently down getting on top of him as I pecked kisses across his face.

            “This is nice,” Joshua said catching his breath slowly. “Our own room, privacy. I can kiss you whenever I want without anyone barging in, they’ll need to knock first.” I nodded as our lips soon found each other again. I was in heaven and my lips were extremely happy.

            Settled into the new dorm the rest of the week was a busy week because we began recording the main song for the album. I was excited because Woozi had been keeping everything about the main song a complete secret so when we all joined together in the recording studio to hear the demo of the song I was anticipating it greatly.

            This would be my second time promoting with Seventeen and I was so happy for that. Woozi passed out the sheets with the lyrics on it with each member’s parts highlighted before playing the demo of the song that he’d recorded. For someone on the vocal team he was a good rapper too. Of course some members that had also helped write the song new about it but to the majority of us it was brand new.

            “It sounds so upbeat and happy!” Minghao said smiling. “I like it a lot. It’s very catchy!” Everyone pretty much agreed as we looked over our parts in the song. It was definitely a nice springtime type song that put a smile on my face just from the cuteness of the lyrics.

            After seeing how many parts I was going to get in the song, called Pretty U I quickly scanned the lyrics looking for Joshua’s parts. I’d kind of gotten used to doing that since I did always want him to have a fair amount of lines being in the vocal team and all. This time around he got a total of three lines, one in the beginning, one in the middle, and one at the end. I was really happy for him.

            “Congrats on the three parts,” I whispered into Joshua’s ear. He turned to look at me smiling before squeezing my leg lightly. After we got the lyrics and the demo of the song we were given exactly a week to practice our parts and then be ready to begin recording it for the album.

            We’d gotten the title song and pretty soon that meant Soonyoung would begin to teach us the dance he’d helped work on for Pretty U. Our comeback was right under our noses and I was ready to be back and ready to give the fans what they wanted.

 

********

 

            After rehearsing and recording the amazing day that was April 25 when our first album Love & Letter was released. With the release of Pretty U we began our promotions for the song performing the dance that Soonyoung created. It was such a unique dance incorporating the couch and book as props for the live stage.

            Then the best day we could’ve ever asked for came on the fourth of May during Show Champion.

            “And the winner is Seventeen!” one of the hosts exclaimed. “Congratulations!” The confetti started falling and the music started playing as the trophy for our first number one was given to us. Standing on the stage and hearing that we’d gotten a number one was so surreal. When the members were giving short speeches I was in the back feeling the tears welling up in my eyes.

            “We did it Skyler,” Joshua said smiling at me. “Our first number one!” He looked at me before hugging me tightly. I smiled back at him letting my tears fall from the pure joy of getting our first number one. Joshua looked at me gently wiping the tears from my eyes as we began to perform the encore stage.

            May fourth will always be one of the best days of my life. I was so thankful that I got to be a part of something so amazing and such a huge step in any K-pop groups musical career. It was like we reached another level in K-pop and I was ready for more.

 

 

 

So there was a lot of time jumps in this chapter but I kind of wanted jump ahead in the future. This chapter was also kind of fluffy but the next chapter might not be because I think a certain someone might catch on about Joshua and Skyler’s relationship. We shall see though.

            As always I thank you all from the bottom of my heart to everyone reading this, subscribing to this and commenting.

I love you all!!

Alsk20