ch. 8

Why Now?

"Moonbyul-ah?" The sudden cut off of the call concerned Wheein. She frowned slightly before lowering the phone from her ear, lifting her head to see Hwasa taking a seat in the chair in front of her while putting a tray with food on top down onto the table. They sat in the noisy food court of the mall and everyone was too busy occupied with their own company or food to pity the puppy.

"What's with the face? Did Moonbyul finally break up with ya?" The messy-haired woman giggled, dropping her bag onto the floor and moved her hands to pick up her burger. Wheein shot her a fiery glare, picking up her burger from the tray as well. 

"Not funny."

"Sorry," Hwasa chuckled once more, biting down on the tip of her tongue. "But seriously. Why the face? You never look like that after a phone call with your lover."

Wheein sighed as she tugged the paper that covered the top of her burger down, taking a sad, slow bite out of it before responding. "She disappeared. Didn't even text me an apology yet." She glanced at the top of her phone, wondering to herself when it was going to flash on with a notification of text. 

The other rolled her eyes, taking a big bite out of her food and chews loudly while eating with just barely open. "I don't get what is with you and her. You two act like you're goin' steady but she hasn't stepped up to do it yet!" 

"She has.. some problems with relationships," Wheein paused, thinking about her next words. "I don't mind it."

Hwasa groaned while nearly slamming her wrists down onto the table. "Shut up! You love relationships! You're in one nearly hours after your last."

Wheein gawked at the girl but had nothing to say. Her best friend had a point; she was the type of person to start talking to another as soon as someone broke up with her just so she could attempt to mend her broken heart. However, that rebound would more often than not turn into a real relationship soon after. Wheein didn't have any problems with her system, but Hwasa often pointed out the flaws within her plan to find "the one". 

The puppy ran her fingers through her hair and let out a sigh as she leaned over the table, grumbling, "You're right; but, I don't know how I'm supposed to bring the idea of something real up to her!" She complained and picked up her burger to take another small bite out of it.

"I'm pretty sure Moonbyul would be up for it." The other said as she raised her brows except she continued to stare at her food.

Wheein scrunched up her face. "... you think? She even told me that she didn't really like commitment..." She thought back to the night that they were cuddling on top of the couch, watching a movie together until the topic of real relationships came up.

 

"I want a relationship like that." 

Moonbyul tilted her head down to look at the younger girl with one brow cocked upwards. "Like what?"

"Old, wrinkly, but still in love." Wheein giggled, curling up against the other's chest.

"Ah..." Moonbyul nodded slowly and let out a soft sigh.

Wheein noticed it and immediately looked up. "... what's up?"

"Oh- nothing."

Wheein stared hard at her.

"I swear it's nothing!"

Wheein stared harder. 

"...fine. You win," Moonbyul rolled her eyes at her and gave Wheein a light pat on the back of her head. "It's just.. I can't see myself in that position, y'know? Marriage is scary."

The younger nodded slowly in agreement as the thought of being committed to someone for the rest of their life was, indeed, a terrifying thing. "Girlfriends aren't so bad though." She mumbled, trying to hint at something.

"Yeah, yeah..." Moonbyul laughed softly, but a hint of uneasiness stained her voice. 

Wheein lifted her head as soon as she heard Moonbyul's voice falter and sat up slowly onto the other's waist. The other's eyes followed. "...I'm sorry if this makes you uncomfortable."

Moonbyul shook her head frantically. "Nonono; that's not-" Wheein shushed her with her finger.

"Nope. I'll stop," Her body hunched over and brought her face closer to Moonbyul's. "Let's just do somethin' else."

"Okay."

 

Wheein's cheeks turned red at the memory of what came next; luckily, Hwasa didn't notice. "I just think you're gonna get no where if you stick with her. You aren't the type to not be committed." The younger girl said while biting the tip of a french fry off.

The puppy thought hard about it. "...okay, fine. I'll talk to her seriously about it."

"You go, girl." Hwasa winked with a sneaky smile on her lips.

Wheein rolled her eyes. "Thanks, dummy."

••

The two parted ways after exiting the mall as Wheein wanted to go and pick up Moonbyul on her first day of work and Hwasa had other errands to run. The puppy walked down the street with a small smile on her lips and headphones stuck in her ears; her head bobbed to the sound of the percussion playing behind the lyrics.

She noticed the sign of a restaurant just up ahead, recognizing it as one of the first restaurants Moonbyul and her had gone to. It was the night that Moonbyul wanted to show Wheein the building of her new job, but only the outside. Wheein walked calmly down the street and decided to glance through the window to see if anything had changed, but she saw a very familiar pair.

It was Moonbyul, sitting with her cousin.

Laughing their heads off. 

 


badum tsssss. y'all love some wheebyul i know it but sorry man, i ship moonsun with all of my heart

they belong together :-)

thanks for waiting everyone! not sure what the next chapter will b but i'll be workin on it! and sorry this one is kinda short!