ch. 6

Why Now?

As her alarm went off, Moonbyul awoke with a soft groan slipping from her lips, stretching her arms out over her head as she slowly rose from her bouncy mattress. She had a grimace on her face, looking around her empty room with squinted eyes while the sunshine poured into her room through her blinds. All that surrounded her was a puffy duvet and unopened cardboard boxes and not another soul in sight.

She was used to this life, living alone and moving around so often. She moved so often that it was hard to remember what her address was. She was independent and did not like relying on others, nor did she enjoy getting attached. This lifestyle wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but it sure was hers.

Her phone suddenly started to ring; Moonbyul finally looking over to her buzzing phone to see the familiar face of Minhyuk on the front, who was on the other end. She accepted the call and pressed the phone to her ear, mumbling, "What do ya want?"

"Someone's awake," The boy snorted on the other side, faint crackling heard in the background. "So it's your first day of work, right?"

"Right." Moonbyul replied.

"And you don't have a car, right?"

"Right." She said again with a bit of frustration in her tone.

"And you aren't familiar with the area, right?"

"Right-- Minhyuk, I'm tired and I have to get ready! What's the point?" Moonbyul snapped. Despite her easygoing personality, it was not hard to piss her off, especially in the morning.

"Hey, calm yo'self," He warned before continuing, "It's Yongsun's first day too. Come over and get a ride from her! You live, like, two minutes away anyways."

Moonbyul raised her brows at the idea of carpooling with his fiancee, especially since it seemed like Yongsun did not like her very much. In the few times that they had met Yongsun would avoid her or give her short answers as if Moonbyul was speaking to a child that knew as much as 10 words. She preferred the option of going by herself to her new work place, but she really couldn't be bothered with paying for a taxi when she could get a free ride there on her first day. She sighed, nodding lightly like Minhyuk was in front of her. "Mm... sure, I'll come over. Does she know that I'm catching a ride?"

"I haven't had the time to ask her; she's still sleeping and I gotta run out, but just come over. She shouldn't mind too much."

The girl shook her head at her cousin's unusual way of having people communicate with each other. He was so forceful, which made Moonbyul wonder how the delicate-looking Yongsun fell for someone like him. 

"Alrighty then... Talk to you later?" 

"Yes ma'am, tell me how it goes between you two!" Moonbyul ended the call first and set her phone down, looking up at the time on her screen, letting out a soft sigh as she fell back onto her bed. I'll just get five more minutes.

••

After accidentally mistaking a half an hourfor a five minute nap, Moonbyul was rushed up the stairs of the engaged couple's apartment building to get to the door before Yongsun could leave without her, not even sure that she was still there since she assumed that she had slept too late. "Damnit, damnit, damnit, damnit!" She cursed under her breath, trying not to think about her heaving lungs and her aching calves. She was mentally smacking herself in the face for causing her, and Yongsun, so much trouble.

She finally reached the 12th floor and immediately ran down the hall to the correct apartment number, nearly falling over when she tried to stop her feet from going any further. She smacked her hand against the door to help her catch her breath. "Y- Yongsun..!" She wheezed, knocking weakly.

The door opened up immediately to reveal a tidy and fashionable woman behind it, ready to head out to work. "M- Moonbyul?!"

The other lifted her sweaty head to finally have a good look at Yongsun; she wore tight, tailored jeans with a loose, baby blue button down tucked into the waistband, the top two buttons undone to give her attire a feminine touch. Her fashion was clearly superior to Moonbyul's, who sported a plain short sleeve and sneakers with her hair tucked underneath a cap. Yongsun's wavy, caramel-coloured locks framed her diamond-shaped face perfectly, her shocked expression bringing Moonbyul back to Earth before she checked her out for too long. "Ah.... Yongsun unnie."

"W- what are you doing here? And why are you so sweaty?!" The brunette asked in a loud, yet very concerned voice. She was never able to control the height of her voice even if she was a vocal coach. She helped Moonbyul up by the arms and helped brushed down her clothes, her hand accidentally brushing against the other's chest. The blonde didn't seem to notice as she was too occupied with trying to fix her lungs, but the sudden touch made Yongsun blush and immediately take her hand away. 

Moonbyul fanned herself with one hand, embarrassed to be in front of the other in such a state. "I, uh.... I ran up the stairs to get here. Minhyuk said that I could get a ride from you..."

Yongsun tried to let out the softest sigh that she could emit. Her husband was ridiculous; why would he plan such a thing without consulting her first? And with his cousin, who she was trying to avoid to the best of her abilities but clearly, God didn't plan that for her. "Oh.... that boy." She mumbled, shaking her head slightly.

"I'm really sorry... I can still catch a taxi if you're mad." said Moonbyul, a genuine look of guilt and worry on her face. Yongsun stared at her, trying not to get lost in those big, almond eyes of hers.

You are too nice for your own good. She thought, letting out a soft huff with a small smile on her lips. "Of course I won't make you do that. C'mon, we'll be late." She tilts her head towards the elevators and leads the blonde towards them, not daring to look back at her. She suddenly felt so aware of herself when they walked down the hall; her breath, her clothes, her hair, her strut. She suddenly felt so vulnerable and nervous, but she didn't know why it was only Moonbyul that made her feel this way. She felt that maybe it was because she thought Moonbyul was better than her, that she needed her approval and she was some sort of goddess in her eyes, despite her obvious lazy attire. She hoped that after this car ride, Moonbyul would only be a friend that this image of her would go away and be left with just a regular person that could be her friend.

Moonbyul didn't have much flying through her mind on the other hand as they waited for the elevators; she glanced around the hallway to see that no one was around, making the silence around them even more awkward. Her eyes looked over at the other to see her only looking forward, not even sneaking a glance at her. She wondered how she could get through to Yongsun, to make her open up at least a little bit but nothing would come to mind.

After entering and exiting the elevator, they walked through the gas-scented garage to the elder's car, which was an adorable, brown Beetle convertible. Moonbyul giggled at the car, admiring at how cute it was and it suited the other very well. Yongsun glanced at the sniggering girl, a small pout appearing on her lips. "What? Is my car not up to your standards?"

"Oh c'mon, I ain't that mean," Moonbyul shook her head, opening up the passenger side to easily slide into the seat. "It's so cute! I can see why you would choose it; it practically screams Yongsun."

Yongsun gave her a side glance as she turned the engine on and the radio low, figuring the blasting volume that she would usually have it would be disturbing to the other girl. On the other hand, Moonbyul could hear the sound of one of her favourite song's playing, f(x)'s Red Light

"You listen to them too?!" She exclaimed, looking at Yongsun with wide eyes.

She blinked and stared blankly, a little hesitant to answer. "Y...es...?"

Moonbyul clapped her hands, pointing upwards to signal for her to turn it up. "Blast it; I love them! I know the fanchants too." She said while doing a little dance, proceeding to prove that she did in fact know the fanchants by heart.

Yongsun stared in disbelief at the girl as she pulled out of her parking space. She was baffled by how much they had in common and yet, it felt like they were distinct opposites. She didn't know what she felt towards her anymore; jealousy, intimidation... or maybe it was something more?

Despite those thoughts, Yongsun watched Moonbyul every so often, a soft, motherly smile on her face. 

Moonbyul caught sight of her occasionally, sudden tingles in her stomach every time she looked.

 

 


ew lmao i'm sorry i didn't know how to end it that's a bad ending to a chapter

ok honestly that updating sched has gone to omg but i'm trying to update at least once a week on any day! winter break has got me all fcked up and lazy :( 

awkward moonsun interactions r the worst to write i just want to get to the part where moonbyul can be as greasy as she wants cries

but anyways, i hope everyone is/has a happy holiday! hope your christmas/hanukkah/etc. goes well n if you don't celebrate any of those, i still wish u the best!!