ch. 13

Why Now?

It was a beautiful sight: two girls that had the strongest of feelings for each other were finally sealing their exclusive deal and Yongsun and Minhyuk had just watched it unravel. A moment or two after Yongsun had noticed the couple sitting on the bench, Minhyuk looked over to see his favourite cousin in the world with her new girlfriend. "Hey, it's those two! They look like they're having a moment, huh?" 

Yongsun, caught offguard by Minhyuk's comment, stuttered as she replied. "O- oh, uh... yeah. They look like they're having a nice time with each other."

"You think we should go over to them? Say hi?" Asked the clueless boy with a tilt of his head. Yongsun mentally rolled her eyes at his naive thought process. She shook her head and pulled him even closer to her side.

"No no, we should leave them alone-"

"Oh, wait! They look like they're done talking!" Minhyuk exclaimed. Her head whipped to look right at the newborn couple to see them cuddled up close to each other with only smiles on their faces. It never failed to amaze her how open they were with each other in public, despite them being a same- couple in a society of conservative human beings. But in a minute flat, Minhyuk was already dragging her to the bench to go and say a polite, "hello", to them.

"Hey love birds. What's goin' on?" Moonbyul looked up with wide eyes and blank expressions, extremely confused as to how the straight couple was at the same location at the exact same time. Wheein shot Yongsun a raised brow. 

The blonde was the first to pull away from her new girlfriend, voice shaking as she replied to Minhyuk. "Uh... well, Wheein just asked me to go steady with her. I guess we're real sweethearts now."

Minhyuk's face lit up as if a thousand Christmas lights were attached to his face, jaw dropping at the news. "No way! Congrats you two!"' He reached out to get the usual, masculine-like handshake from Moonbyul, who was eyeing Yongsun just before. She couldn't help but wonder if it was a conspiracy between Wheein and her that she just so happened to be at the river with her fiance, or if it was a true coincidence. 

A soft laugh escaped her as she replied to her cousin, still taken aback by the sudden appearance. "Y- yeah... what are you two doing here?"

"Walking around." Yongsun immediately replied, a defensive tone in her voice. She didn't know why she was speaking like this either; why would she be mad? She should be happy for Moonbyul, for her cousin! But the sight of Wheein holding Moonbyul's hand tight and Moonbyul giving her nearly all of her attention when she was kicked out of her studio and not even spared a "goodbye" at the end of the day pulled at her heartstrings. 

Just a little bit.

"Yeah. Walkin' around." said the clueless groom, patting Yongsun's hip. "Wanna go for dinner? This is something to celebrate! Unless.. you two would rather be off by yourselves?"

The fresh, new couple exchanged glances before looking back at the old pair, Yongsun taking note of the crinkle in Moonbyul's brows to try and symbolize that she wanted out of the dinner, but Wheein only squeezed her hand harder. "Of course we'll come!" 

 

••

 

Yongsun didn't know how she ended up in this position of being part of the quad at a table in a restaurant, but it happened to come to this. And this time, she was on the same side as Moonbyul. 

Wheein chose to sit across from her new girlfriend to stare and flirt all she wanted while Minhyuk and Yongsun could only observe and talk to each other, reminiscing on the moments years ago when they had first started dating and were completely obsessed with one another. They were interuppted by the waiter who proceeded to take their orders, the new couple deciding to share a meal instead of something separate. 

"I gotta use the washroom; you gotta go?" Wheein raised her brows at Moonbyul, hinting for her to come but Moonbyul, dumb as she is, didn't catch on.

"I'm good." She replied with a wave of her hand, but Minhyuk stood up from his seat, pushing out his chair.

"She may not need to go, but I do." He chuckled as he fixed his shirt, following Wheein's lead. "We'll be back!"

Yongsun was about to stand and chase after her cousin, but it was too late. The two were already gone. It was back to her and Moonbyul, the co-workers with several unsaid words between them. The brunette fiddled with her phone, having it placed on top of the table as she went through it, trying not to make it obvious to the rest that she was avoiding a conversation but the tension was so thick that even she was having a hard time to breathe and settle. She could see in the corner of her eye that Moonbyul had her body faced towards her slightly, but she didn't want to be the one to give in first. "About today.." 

It was painfully awkward to hear those words from Moonbyul, except there was no getting around this one. She turned her head to look at the blonde, a non-chalant smile on her face. "Yes?"

"Are you mad about what happened in the studio today...?" The blonde asked, speaking as if one wrong word would set off a bomb in the restaurant. 

Yongsun shook her head, acting oblivious to the other's words. "I don't really know what you're talking about." 

Moonbyul sighed and sat up properly. "You know what I mean. I wasn't kicking you out of there, you know."

"I know that! I have no reason to be mad, so I don't know why I'm having this conversation with you right now!" Yongsun replied in a slightly higher tone, trying not to become aggrivated with the topic. 

"If that's true, why did you happen to be at the Han River and the exact same time as Wheein and I?" Moonbyul shot back. The other was bewildered; was she not allowed to be at a public park that was open to the public? Did this stupid blonde own the world? And yet... she had a point. Why did Yongsun suggest to go to the Han River? Why did her day feel incomplete because Moonbyul wasn't with her at their usual times? Why did she feel just a bit jealous of Wheein every time she saw their eyes meet, hands touch, have their arms around each other? 

The flustered Yongsun balled up her fists and got up out of her chair. She didn't know what to do. She was causing a scene and she didn't know what to do about it anymore; she had lost control. "Don't talk to me at work!" She cried out and pushed her chair to the side, storming out of the restaurant, passing Minhyuk and Wheein on their way back from the washroom. 

Minhyuk, dazed, ran over to the table and grabbed his things, apologizing to the new couple that he obviously had to run after his girl. Wheein was at a complete loss as well. "What the hell was that about?" She asked Moonbyul, resting her hand on the other's shoulder.

"Beats me," Moonbyul paused, propping her arm up onto the table and thought about her day, remembering the size of Yongsun's hand held in her own as she clenched her fist underneath the tablecloth. How tiny and slender her fingers were, her short nails with a French manicure. Moonbyul gritted her teeth. "She's nuts."

 


it's been a good 2-3 months yall sorry i been lacking on all my :(