ch. 14

Why Now?

Thick, uncomfortable silence was in the air as Minhyuk and Yongsun drove home from the restaurant right after the scene Yongsun had caused. Minhyuk didn't want to ask any questions about it and Yongsun clearly did not want to answer. All she did was fiddle with her phone, unconsciously tapping on each of her social media apps to past the time while Minhyuk played with the volume of the radio, bringing it higher and lower with each song. 

Going back up to the apartment was even more awkward as they silently held hands in the elevator until they reached the inside of their home, Yongsun being the first to pull her hand away from his to escape to the bedroom. Minhyuk didn't feel right sleeping in the same room as her for the night; he was already confused why her and his cousin would have such a heated fight after something so wonderful happened between two people that him and Yongsun both loved. He ate a mediocre dinner, watched some TV and went to sleep, alone, that night.

On the other hand, Yongsun laid in the king-sized bed, alone, and all she could do was stare at the ceiling. She was frustrated.

She was frustrated with Minhyuk, with Moonbyul and most of all, herself. How could she be acting so childish on a day of happiness? How could she make such a fool out of herself in front of her fiancé and her cousin and her current best friend. In fact, she may have even lost her best friend tonight all because of what? She wasn't able to see Moonbyul after work today? Pathetic, is what Yongsun thought to herself.

And even after all of this, Yongsun still couldn't stop thinking about how close her and Moonbyul's lips were inside of that dance studio. She couldn't stop thinking about the way Moonbyul's hands could close around hers and that if only she leaned in a little closer that they could have locked lips and the rest of the day in that studio with each other. No one else could come in and barely any sound could come out, even if they were screaming each other's names.

The girl had finally given into the feelings that were clawing at her chest to get out. She wanted Moonbyul. Ever since the day she met her; her tight black top and slick demeanor had caught her offguard since the beginning and Yongsun didn't want to admit that yes, Moonbyul was cooler than her fiance- in fact, more attractive than her fiance. 

Yongsun didn't want to admit that she so badly wanted to kiss Moonbyul and touch her and hold her hand and feel her arms around her and be able to experience everything that Wheein had the luxury of feeling. And now it really was too late. Moonbyul was taken and Yongsun missed her chance to escape Minhyuk and try to run away with that blonde-haired beauty.

She really hated to admit it, but Yongsun really wanted Moonbyul. She hated that she had now become that woman. One that fell out of love with her own fiance and now wants someone that she can't have, one that she's completely off-limits to. 

Yongsun smacked her forehead and turned over onto her side. I'll just call in sick tomorrow, she thought. And those were the last words she thought before covering herself in the fluffy duvet, not even bothering to say goodnight to her fiance.

--

It worked, the call-in-sick-to-work-plan, that is. However, she didn't realize that standing in her doorway that afternoon with a bag full of takeout and a sullen expression on her face would be her cousin, Wheein. "Moonbyul messaged me that you were sick. I got worried about you after last night." 

Yongsun stood there shocked for a couple of seconds before realizing that she was blocking the way into her home, quickly moving out of the way after snapping out of her trance. "O- oh yeah... but- come in, first." She hurried Wheein inside before locking the door behind her, rushing into the kitchen to grab clean utensils for the both of them.

Wheein made her way into the living room and set up the two large boxes of a variations of fried chicken and a bottle of cola to keep them hydrated, immediately sitting down and waited for Yongsun to join her. 

It surprised Yongsun, how her cousin came personally to her house already loaded with food to feed her and all she asked for in return was her company. The older girl sat down in front of Wheein and the puppy-like female immediately pulled her chopsticks apart, thanking the air for their food, and dug into the meal. Yongsun smiled softly at her eagerness and followed, picking up a single piece of the spicy marinated chicken to bite into.

"So..." Wheein mumbled, mouth struggling a bit to keep the half eaten chicken piece into as she spoke, "what happened last night that made you leave dinner early?"

Yongsun tried hard to fight the letting out of a sigh. It was time to talk about that; something that was nearly impossible to explain honestly to Wheein without hurting her. She didn't want to get in the way of her and Moonbyul's love - in fact, she wanted to be completely out of the picture. To not complicate anything, Yongsun did what seemed to be the right thing; she lied. 

"Well... I felt sick," She started out, her eyes to the ground. "And I had felt sick yesterday morning and even today..." Her eyes slowly moved up to find Wheein's, seeing her own pair light up and Yongsun immediately shook her hands in the air. "But no-- no! I took a test. I'm not." The other's eyes immediately deflated, letting Yongsun breathe out calmly. "It got the best of me though... I thought I really was last night and I got scared. I'm sorry I made such a big scene." She hoped that that would have been enough to get Wheein off of her back, but of course, there was always something more.

"Oh but... how come you yelled at Moonbyul yesterday?" Wheein asked innocently, her face genuinely worried about her cousin's wellbeing.

Yongsun fought hard once more to not freak out internally. "I, um..." Her lips pursed, trying to find the right words."I mentioned the morning sickness to Moonbyul yesterday and I was already being crazy about it... and when I told her that I felt sick again, I just got scared. I didn't want to be pregnant... I mean, not yet of course." Yongsun said with a quick nod, making sure that Wheein was still aware of her feelings for her fiance.

Luckily, this time, Wheein was satisfied with the response. "Ah, I see! Well, that's okay. I understand, unnie. I would be really scared if I ever had a pregnancy scare like that too... thank god I won't have that with Moonbyul." She giggled shyly and continued to eat her chicken, going on to talking about the morning her and Moonbyul had, mentioning it was the first time that they had ever been together for an entire morning from start to until the older female had to leave for work.

Yongsun smiled softly at Wheein, so happy that her cousin was happy with her. 

However, at the same time, her heart ached. She was never going to get back to a love like that, and it was too late to change that fact.

--

"Wheein-ah!" Moonbyul called out into the small apartment as she struggled to get her large gym bag through the small door opening that she had left for herself, too lazy to fully open the heavy wooden plate. Wheein came rushing out of the bathroom with her hair tied into a cute bun, her toothbrush already in as she was getting ready for bed. She jumped onto Moonbyul, embracing her with a tight hug, which Moonbyul gladly accepted and gave her a peck on the cheek. "Sorry I'm late. Trainees asked me for a lot of advice today." 

The other shook her head and slowly came down from her body, patting the front of her shoulder. "S'all good, I left food in da fridge for yew." She mumbled with her full mouth, going back into the bathroom to spit out the bubbly toothpaste and clean the rest of out. 

"What'd you do today?" Moonbyul asked, opening up the fridge to find pasta with a cute post-it stuck to the wrapping on top. She pulled the plate out with a smile on her face, bringing it over to the counter to unwrap.

Wheein wiped and walked back out into the kitchen, giving the taller girl a backhug. "Went to Yongsun unnie's to check up on her," She looked up at her and gave her a light whack to her back. "Why didn't you tell me about her pregnancy scare? I would've been able to comfort her!" 

Moonbyul's brows furrowed, looking over her shoulder to see Wheein. "...pregnancy scare?"

"Yeah!" Wheein let her go and walked over to the other side of the counters, reaching up to open a cabinet to grab a glass. "Told me that she told you about it yesterday morning and that's why she yelled at you. That isn't just nothing." She emphasized as she filled her glass with water.  "You know what I'm talking about, right?"

Moonbyul pursed her lips. No, she didn't know, but this seemed to be a problem between her and Yongsun rather than Wheein in the middle of the both of them. "...yeah. I know what you're talking about." She lied, biting down on her bottom lip as a punishment.

"You gotta tell me these things, baby," Wheein rolled her eyes to herself and brought herself and her glass towards the bedroom. "I'll be in the bedroom. Join me when you finish eating~" 

Moonbyul looked over at her and nodded, her signature bunny smile on her face. As soon as Wheein disappeared, Moonbyul sighed, unwrapping her pasta. 

Kim Yongsun....

 

--

:--) i'm shameful. i'm sorry. ajsedlfikj.