Cold Eyes

The White Rose: A Love Story Between Two Worlds

 

Vivian’s POV

 

I slowly made my way home. I didn’t catch Myungsoo… and he didn’t turn back.

 

What is going on? I was so worried about him, why did he run away?

 

I hoped he would come home today. I really wanted to talk to him.

 

I made my way into the living room. My heart stopped.

 

Myungsoo was sitting there. He couldn’t run away this time, right?

 

“Myungsoo! Where have you been? Why did you run? What happened at the dance??” I showered all my questions on him at once.

 

He turned back. His warm eyes were no longer there. They were empty and dark. “I don’t think you are in any position to ask those questions. Who are you to me?”

 

Shocked, I couldn’t even say anything when he brushed past me. He left me again.


 

Myungsoo’s POV

 

It hurt. It hurt so much to say those cold words to her.

 

Her expression... I wanted to erase it from my mind.

 

I couldn’t help myself so I walked up to her room. I could hear her quiet tears.

 

My hand automatically went to turn the doorknob, but I caught myself and turned away.

 

Myungsoo, don’t open the door. Turn away, it’s better for her. 


 

Vivian’s POV

 

I wanted the tears to stop. I should have known that this was all too good to be true. There was no way Myungsoo could have been so perfect. What was I thinking?

 

Although I yelled at myself to stop crying, to stop being sad, I couldn’t. I didn’t understand what had happened. I wanted an explanation.

 

“Who are you to me?”

 

Those words burned inside my mind. Every time I heard his voice repeating those words in my mind, my heart felt like knives were piecing it.

 

I glanced up and saw the red rose through my tear-filled eyes. Stupid rose. I actually thought you were magical.

 

I had the urge to rip it apart, but something stopped me. It was precious to Myungsoo. That should be a reason to destroy it, but I knew I wouldn’t be able to do it.

 

I’ll return it later then.

 

I heard a gentle knock at the door. I hoped it was Myungsoo coming to apologize, but I knew it wouldn’t be…

 

“Vivian? Are you ok?” Sungyeol was standing at the entrance to my room.

 

His worried face surprised me; I still wasn’t use to Sungyeol being nice to me.

 

I quickly wiped away the tears, “Yea, I’m fine! Did you need anything?”

 

“Nope! I just wanted to check on you. Myungsoo’s home. Did you see him??”

 

“Um, yea I did.”

 

“Are you sure your ok?”

 

I nodded and forced a small smile.

 

“Ok, well dinner will be ready soon!” He was about to leave but then turned back, “Would you rather eat out with me? Myungsoo’s going to eat at home today.”

 

“Sure. I would appreciate that. Thanks Sungyeol.”


 

Sungyeol’s POV

 

I waited for ten minutes until Vivian came down ready to leave.

 

She was silent for the first half of the walk.

 

When she finally spoke up, what she said took me by surprise. “Sungyeol, why do you suddenly not hate me? Why did you in the beginning?”

 

I didn’t know what to say. Don’t I still hate her? Wait, why do I hate her again? Aren’t I getting close to her because of Myungsoo? Well if Myungsoo doesn’t want her anymore, why am I still here…?

 

“Um, to be honest, I’m not sure. I’m not sure about either. I think it was because I couldn’t accept your mother for leaving behind her own kind for a lesser kind. We sometimes have hard times accepting humans here. But for some reason, now I feel a need to take care of you.  I’m sorry about those things I said earlier.”

 

She gave me a genuine smile, “Thanks Sungyeol. I appreciate it a lot. I like being friends much better than being enemies.”

 

Friends. “Me too.”