Magical Rose

The White Rose: A Love Story Between Two Worlds

 

Myungsoo’s POV

 

A figure appeared at the door and approached me slowly…

 

I covered my hand over my eyes as the light was starting to burn.

 

When the figure finally came close enough for me to see, I gasped.

 

“MOTHER??”

 

The woman standing in with me in this dark room had a mystic aura around her. She looked exactly like my…mother. Except she looked like her when she died. Still young, radiant, and beautiful.

 

“Myungsoo-ah...I’ve missed you.”

 

“Mother… are you alive again??” I still couldn’t process what was happening.

 

“I’m sorry for leaving you. And I’m sorry that I can’t go back. Right before I passed away, the Gods gave me one wish. My wish was that I could come back and see you one more time. I got to pick the one time, and I picked right now. There are so many things I need you to understand.”

 

I was shocked. “Are you a ghost…”

 

“I’m a spirit. But this is the only time I will be able to talk to you face to face.”

 

I could feel tears of happiness in my eyes as I looked up to my mother. I’ve missed her so much. She came closer and wrapper her arms around me. She was still as warm as I remembered her to be.

 

“Myungsoo-ah. I came because it is time to tell you something. Do you still have the white rose I gave you?”

 

I nodded. “My friend has it with her right now. Why?”

 

“Could your friend possibly be a girl? A girl…that you love?”

 

Her question stumped me. I didn’t know my feelings yet… “I’m not sure yet. All I know is that being with her makes me happy. And I haven’t felt happy ever since you left.”

 

“Myungsoo-ah, in our hearts, love comes unexpectedly; it comes in times of frustration or desperation. It doesn’t need a map because it will always find it’s way into the right place. Remember these words.”

 

She took my hand and sat down next to me.

 

“That rose I gave you, it’s magical. Before I passed away, I left all my powers in it. I gave it to you because it was the only way left that I could protect you. When you find the person you love, the rose will start to change. The rose will protect the person you love and keep your love safe.”

 

Change? What if the rose is changing for… Vivian?

 

“But Myungsoo, something I didn’t plan has happened. She… found a way to curse the rose after I died. So if that rose gets into the wrong hands, your loved one will be in grave danger.”

 

“What should I do then??”

 

“If you love her, keep her safe. Do whatever you can to protect her. But don’t forget to always listen to your heart as well. Don’t do something that will end up hurting both of you.”

 

“Mother, why would someone want to hurt the person I loved?”

 

“There are things I can’t tell you right now. But one day, you will know.”

 

She slowly stood up, pulling me up with her. She brushed my hair away from my forehead.

 

“Does it hurt?”

 

Oh, I completely forgot about the scar on my forehead. I guess I must have hurt it back at the ballroom… I shook my head.

 

She kissed it gently and the pain went away.

 

“Myungsoo-ah. I love you so much. I’m sorry for leaving you at such a young age. Know that if I had a second chance, I would do everything so differently. Remember what I told you today. I can’t bear to see you or the person you love get hurt because of something I tried to do.”

 

I nodded and hugged her again. “I love you too. I promise I will never forget what you’ve told me. I won’t let you worry.”

 

She turned to go back out but I grabbed her hand. “Before you leave, can you tell me who she is?”

 

“Just know that she is someone with zero good intentions. She is driven by hatred and heartbreak. Those two together is the scariest combination. A woman will go to no ends to get back the thing that means the most to her…love.”

 

I looked at her, confused.

 

She smiled that familiar smile I’ve missed.

 

“Myungsoo-ah, I’ll send you back to where you heart wants to be the most. Good-bye.”

 

With that, she opened the door and vanished into the light.