Meeting Sungjong’s “Friend”

From Black and White to Color

[Sungjong’s PoV]

My umma, step appa, and I all sat in silence at the dinner table, Sungyeol-hyung; if I could even call him that obviously wasn’t going to come down to eat. I felt like it was partically my fault, I had made him angry at us by taking the photo album in to school to show my best friend who is in love with photography, Myungsoo. However, Myungsoo made me take it to the principal, getting Sungyeol into the school. I sighed, laying my chopsticks down on the table and standing up.

“Where are you going Jongie? You didn’t eat much.” Called my mother, “Are you feeling ok?”

“Umma, I’m feeling fine…I’m just tired.” I said, stretching a bit, “I’m going to go upstairs now…I have to remember a scene from Romeo and Juliet word by word by the end of this week…so I’ll be going…”

I was actually going upstairs to talk to Sungyeol, I walked the stairs, and peeked into the room, seeing a lump on the bed, I walked in quietly, thinking that he was asleep.

“Sungyeol-hyung?” I said quietly, thinking he was here in the room, when I walked to his bed I finally noticed he wasn’t there it was just pillows under the blanket, I sighed and slumped down onto my bed, “Where’d he go? Better yet, how could I not know he left?”

I sighed, worried about my new mysterious hyung, I sighed and did the only I could with the rain pouring down outside, I sat and waited for him to return. I was leaning against the head board of the bed, nearly asleep when the sound of my cellphone going off snapped me out of my sleep like state.

“Hello?” I said groggily.

“Sungjong, where are you? Don’t you remember that you promised to come hang out with us?” said Neil, “Wait, are you sleeping?”

“Ne…I’m at home…I’ll be there in ten minutes…” I said.

“Alright, we are going to wait inside the usual café because the rain is getting to be a little too much…” said Neil.

“Alright. I’ll see you in a little bit.” I said, Niel hung up as did I.

I sighed, throwing on a jacket, looking at Sungyeol’s empty bed, where could he have gone?

 

[Sungyeol’s PoV]

I sighed, rubbing my cold hands together, looking up at the gray sky; I smiled pulling my newest camera out of the bag, capturing the beauty of the clouds, yes, they were gray and most people would find them ugly and gloomy, but I find them lively, and picture perfect, because if they were captured in just the right angle, the sun’s rays could be captured on screen. As soon as the picture was taken, thunder broke the silence. I sighed, knowing that it was going to rain soon and that I should probably go home soon. Home…such a strange word…it actually has meaning now. I shook my head, I didn’t have time for thinking, if I thought, and I’d waste the time I have left before the first drop of rain comes down.

I sighed, trying to clear all the thoughts out of my mind. I walked past a pond in the park; walking onto the bridge, I looked into the pond, clearly seeing the bottom. It wasn’t very interesting, I sighed and walked towards the temple that sat on a hill at the end of the path, maybe there would be something interesting there to take a picture of.

A flash of lighting lit the rather dark and gloomy park as thunder rumbled, signaling that the rain was soon to come. I sighed, shutting off my camera as I walked towards the temple in a quicker pace, not wanting to be out in the open when the ice cold rain fell. I quickly put the camera into my bag, which would protect it if I did get caught in the rain.

As I was walking towards the temple, the rain began to pour down, making me break out into a sprint. When I arrived at the temple, I noticed someone else entering it from the opposite direction; however, he had an umbrella. I sat down on a bench waiting for the rain to die down; however it doesn’t look like it ever will.

As the male walked closer, I could tell he was talking on the phone, “Sungjong, I’m coming, relax…I thought you said you like Dongjun. If you do, why do you keep acting like we are dating still?”

I fell silent, holding my breath, glancing at the other male’s bag. He knew Sungjong and he’s a photographer. He’s probably the boy who has seen my work…I bit my lip, not liking the possible outcomes of this situation.

“Sungjong, like I said before, I’m going to be there soon…I understand we all were supposed to meet at six to discuss the movie for the film festival and our semester finals…” said the boy, “Sungjong, relax…Your brother is missing?”

I stiffened up, not good…not good.

“Sungjong, he’s two years older than you, he’s a third year, and he’s seventeen. He can take care of himself, so, stop worrying about it! If he left then have you ever thought that he left because he wants to be alone?” said the boy, “He witnessed his mother dying, moved in with a family he doesn’t know and a father who he hasn’t seen in ten years, and from how you described his stepfather, he was probably abused. Give him time to settle in and adjust to the new life…”

I held back a smile, the boy I haven’t even met before hit the reason I left head on.

“Sungjong, trust me, I’d know more than you do. Have you forgotten I’m an orphan whose real parents died in a car accident? Also, have you forgotten that the family before the one I have now were abusive?” asked the boy, his voice turned quieter when he noticed me and I held my breath, he sighed, I could hear that he stopped, “Sungjong, I’ll be there when I get there.”

He then hung up.

“Are you ok?” asked the boy.

I looked back at him, and nodded, “I’m fine.”

I stood up really wanting to just get out of there. I was about to leave when the boy grabbed my arm, I turned around and looked at him. He looked at me, his head tilted to the side.

“Have we met before?” asked the boy.

I shook my head, “No, I recently moved here…why?”

“Ah…It’s nothing, you look like a hyung I met back when I lived in Busan,” Said the boy, “Sorry…Anyways are you heading this way?”

I nodded.

“Would you like to share the umbrella?” asked the boy, awkwardly.

“No…I’m fine with walking in the rain.” I said, even though I wasn’t.

“I’m pretty sure your family wouldn’t like you getting sick…” said the boy.

“Yeah…” I said, falling silent after that.

The boy let go of my arm and we both walked beside each other in silence. He was looking straight ahead of us while I looked at the sky, thinking about why he seemed familiar to me too. I then we were walking closer to a café, through the café’s front window, I could point out a familiar blonde headed boy.

“I’m going to be going…Thanks for letting me share your umbrella, I guess…” I said, stepping out from under the umbrella, leaving before he could reply, disappearing from his sight before he could even turn around towards me.

I sighed and walked home in the pouring rain, Sungjong really has an outgoing friend…he seems like a nice kid whoever he is. I smiled, but shook my head; don’t think about friends…they will only betray you in the end!

 

Hehehe, hope you enjoyed the chapter. :D Myungsoo and Sungyeol met with out knowing it. More things about each character are slowly being revealed. I know it's weird that Sungyeol and Myungsoo swapped personalities (in a way), but it's needed for the story, also, Myungsoo is still the masculine one, he's just more outgoing...

Also, do you like the poster? I made it myself, with some help from my "mentor" and friend.

Anyways, hope you enjoyed! Feel free to leave a comment! :D