Alone

Collection of BTS One Shots

>> min yoongi, angst, zombie!au, 2680 words.


“Come on, keep moving!” Yoongi’s rough voice knocked you out of your daze as the eerie alleyway echoed with slurred moans from the walking dead.

It had already been a few months. When will this mess stop?

Are there even any chance of survival? They keep coming... There were too many.

There was only so much you could do before your time runs out.

Pants escaped your mouth like never before, you heaved and pushed your legs to their limit as your brain calculated the unknown area you and Yoongi were in.

Hot on your tail were a bunch of zombies limping towards the smell of their - possibly - next meal. Though of course, you would rather endure your lungs on fire and your legs ready to fall off than be ripped to shreds by monsters that used to be everyday people minding their own business.

It was night. The wind was strong and the rain pelted against the surfaces of the buildings and the rocks against the concrete floor; sticking your long locks and Yoongi’s blond locks to your faces as your footsteps splashed against the slippery ground.

Reaching to the rooftop of a building through the steps that stuck to the side of the apartments, the two of you overlooked what could pass as hell.

“Holy .” Yoongi’s voice rumbled underneath his breath.

It was the scariest thing she had ever seen.

Monsters.

More than a thousand.

Less than a million.

Too many, anyway.

Mauling, growling, eating, yelling.

They were everywhere.

“Holy ,” the words fell from your mouth. You don’t know if you were determined or afraid.

“Come on, we have to get out of this rain before we end up being sick.” Yoongi, yet again, grabs your warm but intensely shaking hands and runs like it was the last thing he’ll ever do.

 

| × |

 

No one had ever heard the wind blow like this before.

The night was colder than it had ever been, and even with a large blanket wrapped around you and Yoongi wasn’t enough to keep yourselves warm.

Tonight’s safe house? An apartment room. The floor had been safe enough to stay at, but who knows about the rest of the building. The door was barricaded enough to keep you safe for the night, but once the moon vanished and light was shown, it was time to move.

But for now, you were relaxed.

Staring at the window as the raindrops attacked it was more than enough to make you sleepy. All that running definitely caused fatigue and pain, but it was nothing foreign.

“Whatcha thinkin about?” Yoongi’s husky voice startled you as your hand shot up to your chest.

“Everything.” You breathed.

You weren’t facing Yoongi to see what his reaction was, but you knew he had understood where you were coming from.

“The dead finally walked the earth.” Yoongi spoke to no one in particular. “And I thought they wouldn’t come until long after my death,” his slight chuckle was not out of humour, but annoyance.

A comfortable silence settled around the room. You could have sworn your thoughts could be heard out loud since Yoongi gently pressed against your shoulder.

“Do you ever think it’ll ever end?” Your voice came out a mere whisper; afraid if you had spoken any louder the monsters will hear you. “We don’t even have a watch, but we’ve been in this mess for long enough to be able to tell the time.”

“Time is just ticking away for us. It’s all going to come crashing down on us one day. One day, we’ll end up like them.” Your heart picked up and your eyes widened. The fear of becoming one of them was more terrifying than anything else. Your body trembled, mentally pushing away the view of the outside as your head began to aggressively turn side to side, chants of no, no, no, falling out of your mouth, until-

“Stop it.”

Just like that, you snapped back into reality.

Your body froze, your mind blank, your breathing still.

That was the power of Min Yoongi.

“Get some sleep. You’re overworking yourself. You done well today, rest while you can.”

Rest while you can. There were more meanings to that than you had wished.

 

| × |

 

At the crack of dawn, you were up and out again. Maneuvering in and out of alleyways into large streets and back in through the tiny short cuts, there wasn’t an end to running.

There wasn’t much in your backpack either. A few cans of food, a few bottles of water, a flashlight and maybe an abandoned knife that you had found ages ago but had forgotten about. Running was a bliss even with your backpack.

“In here,” Yoongi’s voice pushed out as he neared himself to the front door of a supply shop.

Sure, you had been in this mess for a good few months already, but that doesn’t mean raiding a store that possibly had a load of zombies didn’t freak you out.

“Ready?”

“Never, but do I have a choice?” Yoongi’s smirk was the last thing you see before he proceeds forward.

Empty. As usual.

During the day they’d be outside, roaming the alleyways. It would always be a crowd on the pavement or a bombshell of them in the middle of the road. It was only the highway where you’d seen them scattered like fairy dust.

“Grab what you see is useful and let’s leave.” Yoongi instructs. It was drilled in your head to the point where he is wasting his breath telling you.

You had quite some options when you had came across the first shelf. A magazine, some cans of tuna, a few busted batteries, a New York Yankee’s hat, and what seems to be a box of chocolate, but they could be mistaken for anything.

Grunting, you had left that shelf. The tuna could have been useful, as was the Yankee’s hat, but you had standards - even in an apocalyptic world.

5 minutes turned into 15, and now your backpack was more of a pain in the to carry.

“We’ll find somewhere to store this and come back for it later, okay?” Nodding, Yoongi took your hand.

You had felt comfort when his hand slipped into yours with such ease. It was the comfort of knowing, even in a world with man-eating monsters, there was still someone loyal enough to stick with you and be by your side.

You could run to the end of the world with Yoongi. He was everything to you. He made you feel safe, comforted, loved, and most of all, treasured.

“Well done,” he cracked a smile at you. “Let’s go.”

Though, you couldn’t shake off this uneasy feeling inside you.

 

|×|

 

There would be days where you hated being claustrophobic. Especially when in a situation where staying quiet and in an incredibly hiding spot, mentally cursing you at no one in particular.

Tilting your head back to see the blond locks of the older male was enough to calm you down slightly, though your lungs was burning and your head was spinning still.

“There are too many of them!” You managed to pull out of your vocal chords as the feet in front of you multiplied.

Yoongi was silent, and when he’s silent, you know he’s going to end up saying that you always end up disagreeing with.

“I’ll distract them.”

Eyes widening, you turned as much as you could inside the small space the two of you were compressed in and glared at the male. “Don’t ing say that. Not with that many out there Yoongi, don’t do it.”

“Hey-”

“No! You’re not doing it, you hear me? We’re going to get out of this together,” your anger slowly subsided and worry began to grow.

“Listen to me, I’ll be fine. I’ll throw something to distract them long enough for them to get away. Okay? I’ll be fine.” You didn’t believe him. You never believed him, until he proves you wrong every time by returning by your side and enveloping his medium sized hands over your tiny ones and dragging you along through another crazy day.

“I ing hate you, you know that Min Yoongi?”

“I love you too. Now stay quiet, and stay put. Do not move until you see them disappearing, you got it? Don’t do anything stupid while I’m gone.”

While I’m gone.

He leans in to give you a longing kiss. Man, when was the last time you had felt so giddy in your life? Maybe it was back when you had been able to return home to your mother’s amazing homecooked meal that always got you excited near the end of your shift. Maybe it was back when Yoongi had the guts to ask you out, yet made sure you knew he isn’t the PDA kinda guy, but regardless you said yes anyway.

Or maybe you had always felt giddy around Yoongi; but with chaos happening around you every second of the minute, you had forgot to live a little.

“Stay put.” The words echoed and his gummy smile was imprinted in your head.

It hadn’t even been 10 minutes and the zombies were already rushing towards the sound you hoped Yoongi had made. You waited for a little while, continuously glancing around hoping to recognise the blond streaks of hair that should appear out of nowhere, but you were pushing it and time was running short.

So you ran.

You ran just how Yoongi had taught you. You had breathed just like Yoongi had taught you. You knew the route to the next safe house like the back of your hand, thanks to Yoongi.

Your hand...

Your hand was cold. Empty. Alone.

Not even the heat of the fire could compare to the sparks that Yoongi had manage to shoot through your body once his hand skimmed against yours.

As anxiety and worry built up, you had forced yourself to focus on the route to the safe house, because for all you know he could be there waiting to hold you in his arms once again.

But much to your luck, you were greeted by a cold breeze of air and a familiar dark room that had more items now after your recent run with Yoongi.

Everything was untouched. There was no Yoongi.


 

How long has it been? Days? Weeks?

This was risky, and you knew it. Staying at the same spot for long enough; the time was ticking faster for you the more you stayed in that time bomb of an area. But you didn’t have the heart to move.

There was still no sign of Yoongi. Everyday you would look out the window, hoping to scope out the recognisable blond man only to be filled with disappointment and a rush of every other bad emotion in the book.

Just one day. One more day, you kept telling yourself. One more day probably turned into one more week, which could have turned into one more month, but with the food supplies running low and you could constantly feel yourself becoming more tired often pushed you to move.

Grabbing what was salvageable, you had packed it all in your backpack. Wielding two sharp knives in your hands, you stretched before setting out on what is your normal routine in life nowadays.

Scavenging for another safe house, you came across a shop that you remembered Yoongi wanted to specifically rummage through sometime.

Letting yourself get distracted, you had entered the shop with a light heart. There weren’t a lot of zombies outside - which, definitely weirded you out a little bit.

Though no worries, this shop was full of gold.

It had almost everything you wanted. More supplies of food hidden in the upper corner drawers and some spare water bottles that were knocked down in some of the lower drawers, a good few batteries that you prayed to God was still in tact, and some weapons you could modify for the future.

There was a sharp noise. A bang. In the back room.

You hated this the most when raiding shops. Clearing them out, be ridding them of zombies.

Yoongi had always done this job. ...God, you missed Yoongi so much.

Inhaling slowly, you tightened the strap of your bag and closed it over, making sure you’re ready to run just in case there were too many or if they had pounced.

Quietly approaching the cracked dark wood door that was open ajar. The shadow of a figure could be seen and was clearly moving, which created more fear to bubble inside of you.

Hurrying to open the door as the suspense was killing you, you had recognised a body that was slowly thrashing around on the floor; their arms were cuffed to the radiator behind them as angry growls emitted from their mouth.

They looked fresh. Just turned.

Also very, very familiar.

The blond locks. The green jacket. The brown shoes. The ripped, denim jeans.

It was Yoongi.

His mouth dripped blood, his once a pristine whitey blond hair was now a mix of dirty red and pink. He was making the sounds that the dead made the night you two ran around like headless chickens in the pouring rain.

His wrists that were once beautiful and pale was now bruised, cut, and bloody. He had half of his leg missing, which probably was a to endure. But then again you never knew if he turned just today or if he had turned two weeks ago.

“What the ?” was your first reaction. Tears sprung into your eyes as you blinked them away furiously.

“You... You set yourself... You...”

Why?” was your last reaction.

The man who you onced loved now looked at you with hunger and his growls became more aggressive.

At this point, all you could do was just stare. No questions--actually, too many questions, but who in the right mind would question somebody who was already dead and gone, and is very close to ripping your neck apart and eating at your flesh?

Tears began to freely fall down your cheeks that you remembered Yoongi had loved the most. How they blushed when you came in contact with him. How they lifted when you smiled and shaped your face perfectly.

It wasn’t the fear of the fact that he could literally break off his wrists and still come at you full force and tear you apart. It wasn’t the fact you’re standing in front of a zombie that you once knew all too well and ready to question what happened to him.

It was the fact that the zombie in front of you was someone you did know far too well, that promised to never hurt you physically, is mentally scarring you and breaking you apart at this very moment.

It wasn’t like he cared anyway.

He was dead.

Just like the others.

Noticing a gun on top of the table, something in you knew that he knew he wasn’t going to go very far therefore he ended up the way he is now.

It was a familiar gun, the words ‘kill, or be killed’ imprinted on the side.

One of Yoongi’s favourite items he had found.

Turning back towards the dead man, you found yourself shaking and numb from everything.

Weird.

You had never realised when you were shaking until Yoongi wrapped a strong arm around your shoulder, soothing you with hushes and soft words.

Now, the feeling was painful and you were very much sober to feel it.

“Thank you for everything.” You began.

God, were you really becoming sentimental towards a zombie?

“...Thank you.”

The smile you found yourself loving every single day you were with him appeared in your head as your eyes shut and your hands raised.

The voice that always soothed you no matter what whispered in your head for the last time as your grip tightened.

Your finger pulled the trigger.

Min Yoongi was just another dead man walking that is finally free from hell.