19.

Just This Once (She's Gone)

 

Seunghyun smiled as he leaned against the door frame, his loving gaze resting on the girl pigging out on walnut ice cream, her hospital gown now with a stain at the front.

She beamed at him as she took another spoonful of the heavenly treat before returning her attention to the recipe book in front of her.

He sighed inaudibly as he recalled Kwon Jiyong’s words and his brows furrowed as he turned away and leaned against the wall.

He observed the passing nurses as he mulled over the discussion he just had with Kwon Jiyong, about her past, her life, her.


Jiyong folded his arms and leaned back against the chair, his sharp eyes apprehending Seunghyun, as if waiting for him to ask the most important question, after some lengthy discussion.

Seunghyun stared back with equal intensity, unsure of what to do next. This man who claims he is the brother of the woman he loves so much. Somehow this reminds him of a novel of Agatha Christie’s, a blackmailing situation? He chuckled and his companion’s eyebrows rose.

He sighed yet again before sobering up a little more, his posture straight and cool. He just.. don’t know. He doesn’t know what is holding him back, to ask about her past life, to know his brat’s history, to know the place she stayed, the people she cherished and love… to face the guilt.

Yes, the guilt that will hit him with so strong a force when he finds out that she had been missing out on everything and everyone who loved her, who adored her, in the span of this one year in misery missing her everyday, everytime, wondering if she is alright, if she is alive.

The guilt of facing someone who touches the photo of his angel lovingly, sadly as he blames himself for losing her.
‘I’m sorry, Dara.. oppa is useless, so useless..’

Of someone who wakes up in cold sweat from a terrible nightmare – her not being by his side.
‘Don’t leave me Pepsi..’

Of someone who grieves over hurting her with harsh words and actions as he tried to protect her.
‘I tried.. I tried, Sandara Park...’

He refuses to know. He refuses to face the person in front of him, the person of whom he had snatched and hidden a beautiful angel, hiding her from everyone and everything. He refuses to admit that he was so damn selfish, that he could not bring himself to know how Dara was before he met her.. how.. he took her,coveted her into his own.

His strong gaze met with Jiyong as he made up his mind. He will not know. He does not want to know. He WON’T!

“I’ll be heading back to Dara. Thank you.” He bowed deeply to the man infront of him before he turned to leave.

An amused smile played on Jiyong’s lips as he watched him leave.

 


Seunghyun bit his lip as he turned towards Dara. Seeing her smile like this, it’s enough.

“You can’t keep her here forever.”

But I can’t lose her,

“Let her be free.”

Not now. Not now.

“She can’t be chained down like this.”

No.. please. Just a little more time. Please.

 

“Let her go.”

 

Seunghyun’s clenched his fists tightly and took a deep breath. This will not go anywhere. He can’t THINK in such a state. He opened his eyes to see brown orbs sinking into his.

“Seunghyun, is something bothering you?”  

Dara caressed his face gently, a worried expression on her face.

He gently smiled back at her and pulled her into a hug, only to find a tub of ice cream squeezed between them.

He chuckled deeply as he rested his chin on her head, feeling the cold sensation on his abdomen.

“I can’t believe you’re sticking onto this tub of treat like it’s more important than me,” he complained.

Dara laughed as she tried to wriggle free.

“Heyyy! It’s coldddd,” she protested as he pulled her closer.

“It’s your own fault, brat,” he replied as he nipped her nose.

“Seunghyunnnn~” she whined.

“Ara, ara,” he grinned as he lifted her up and walked over to the bed, putting her on it as she settled comfortably into her tub of ice cream again.

“Geez..” he rolled his eyes and sat beside her.

A few minutes passed in silence as she continued eating, a blissful smile plastered on her face.

He smiled as he stared straight ahead, propping himself up on his arms as he leaned back.

Suddenly he felt warmth, such an overwhelming warmth embracing him with just a single touch.

He looked down and smiled at their intertwined hands.

“I may not know what’s bothering you,” she said softly.

“And you may not tell me, but know that I am here for you.” she turned and looked back at him.

“Because I love you.”

And that was all Seunghyun needed to lean forward and kiss her lips.

 


“I can’t believe it! You cheated!”

Dara fumed as Jiyong chuckled to himself.

“Hey, it’s not my fault you’re such a bad player,” he retorted as he raised his arms in protest.

“YOU CHEATED!” she practically screamed at him as she tried to control herself from throwing the Scrabble tiles at him.

“HOW CAN YOU BEAT ME?!”

“Whoa, whoa, calm down, baby sister.” Jiyong crossed his arms and smirk cockily at her.

“Your customers are looking,” he mock-whispered.

True enough, Dara turned her head to see the patrons of the café staring at both of them in barely concealed curiosity.

“M-Mianhe,” she stood up and bowed at all directions while casting murderous glares at her brother trying – unsuccessfully – to stifle his laughs, his mishevious smile playing on his lips.

“Mian, mian,” she bowed again only to feel the collar of her shirt pulled upwards and she collided with something hard.

“Ahh!” she turned around in surprise only to see the amused face of Seunghyun as he held onto her shirt.

“What are you doing?” his eyebrow rose and disappeared into his bangs.

Dara gaze stupidly in front of her, finding herself unable to function within such close proximity with a guy this hot. He was donning a suit and his blazer was thrown carelessly over his shoulder, looking incredibly.. hot.

He chuckled, seeing her in this state.

“Oops, sorry,” he let go of her shirt and pushed her away lightly. “I forgot you can’t handle my hotness, ahjumma.”

He wasn’t surprised when she fling her arms around him almost immediately, clinging on to him and hugging him tightly.

“I’m sooooo LUCKY!” she squealed.

He laughed at her silliness and her hair gently.

 

“AHEM!” an indiscreet cough disrupted their moment and Dara broke away from Seunghyun, ready to glare at Jiyong.

A grin played on his lips as he gaze pointedly at the customers still looking at her, some laughing and smiling.

OH MY GOSH!

Dara felt her cheeks reddened as she bowed to apologise before being pulled back by the collar and dragged into the kitchen, her surprised face causing more laughter to erupt around the café.

“Ahhh..” she covered her face embarrassedly as she felt herself being dragged backwards and a deep chuckled sounded from behind her. She frowned at Seunghyun’s laugh and decided to kick him down to the floor tonight.

You are so dead, Choi Seunghyun.

She tried to wriggle free but gave up when she saw Jiyong following the both of them, striding across the café with his hands in his pockets, his eyes glinting in amusement.

He winked at her as she slumped her shoulders defeatedly and let Seunghyun drag her backwards.

She narrowed her eyes.

TWO dead bodies tonight.

 


Thank you for still reading! I'm so sorry, for such a long hiatus. Thank you for still being here. :)