Never again

Just This Once (She's Gone)

 

The girl crawled under the bed, clutching her teddy bear to her chest. The thunder was booming and the wind howling as she shivered in her pink nightdress, tears streaming down her face as she clasped her hand over to muffle her sobs.

The door flew open and she could see him taking slow steps towards the bed.

She gripped her teddy bear tighter as she watched with fearful eyes, unable to move. Tears dropped from her face continuously, soaking her worn up teddy looking up at her with a sad smile.

“COME HERE!”

She screamed as the man grabbed hold of her pigtails and dragged her out of the bed forcefully, flinging her to the side, slamming her into the wall. The impact nearly broke her back and she whimpered in pain as she looked up in fear.

 

“JIYONG OPPA!”

 

Dara bolted upright, drawing in heavy breaths. Her hands gripped tightly on the bed sheets as she looked around her in frenzy, her nightgown drenched with cold sweat.

The house was silent as she her heart thumped loudly against her chest. She found herself looking down at the soaked bedsheets and her shaking hands.

A flash of lightning lit up the dark room for a millisecond before thunder struck forcefully down to earth.

With a start, she jumped off the bed in a panic and ran down the stairs, slipping and falling on the hall corridor. She pushed herself up as she took off into the heavy rain, leaving the door ajar.

The wind was howling and the rain poured without any mercy. The gravel road was hurting her yet she pushed herself forward, stumbling now and then in the darkness. She did not know where she is going but her legs are leading her steadily onwards to a place they are so familiar to.

 

I need to know.

 

Her hair whipped against her face as she ran faster, barefooted, not feeling the pain of the gravel underneath her feet, her eyes filled with fear and anxiety as she focused only on reaching her destination.

 


She slowed her pace before stopping in front of the grave, the dim light from the lamp-post barely illuminating what was carved on the gravestone.

 

In loving memory of

 Kwon Jong San

A loving father and husband

 

She stared at the winged skulls decorating the gabled headstone, her hands limp by her side as she stood in the pouring rain. A soothing wave of relief washed over her as she stared continuously. 

Blood dripped from her hands and flowed on the ground as the rain washed them away. Her hands and legs are covered with cuts, blood oozing out steadily.

Yet she was oblivious to those she had obtained climbing the barbed wire atop the chain-link fence encircling the cemetery. Her heart itself was bleeding so painfully. It was thumping hard against her chest as if it will burst any moment.

Silent tears streaked down her cheek and were washed away as she continued gazing, motionless.

I cant...

The weak light in the night illuminates her frail figure standing in the everpouring rain, her clothing soaked wet, her bangs clinging to her face, covering her eyes. She was shivering involuntarily and yet once again, she does not notice it. Nothing around her is of importance now. 

She lifted her head and shifted her gaze, staring into the distance. The night is hypnotizing her, like a dark blanket enveloping her cold body as if it could offer her something she had been yearning to have all along.

Her cold blue lips moved ever so slightly as she looked down at the gravestone, seeking for that assurance once again.

“Never again.”

The soft whisper was almost intelligible as her lips curved into a sad smile before she fell, losing consciousness.

 


Once again, thank you for reading! 
Welcome, new subbies and thank you so much readers! 

I'm sorry for my short hiatus. 

Thank you to sparkle graphics shop for the great poster too!