second place

Innocent Love

Today is a great day for Chorong… She had a good night sleep after she somehow made up with Bomi… They had a happy breakfast before they off to school… Bomi said she has to go to Eunji's house so Chorong is now alone on the bus…

 

She is lucky enough to have a seat at the back… Chorong takes out her book to read while riding the bus…

 

* break *

 

The bus suddenly pulls the break and Chorong accidently drops the book… A folded paper jumps out in between the book and Chorong picks it up…

 

" What is it? "

 

She unfolds the paper and she is surprised to find out that it is a letter from Bomi… She curiously starts reading the letter…

 

" Bing Bong~ Bing Bong~ Unnie Unnie My unnie~~~ HeeHeeHee… I have a lot to say you but I don't know where to start… So I decided to make this letter… Please read it till the end though my handwriting and spelling is really bad… HeeHeeHee…"

 

Chorong smiles automatically and whispers Pabo… She can't help but find that Bomi is too cute whenever that girl makes her heart flutters…

 

" First of all, I'm really sorry for what I have done… My friends told me that I shouldn't ignore you from the start… I was selfish I think… I'm sorry unnie…"

 

" It's ok, Bbom-ah…"

 

Chorong forgives Bomi already… She doesn't mind at all…

 

" I know you are too good to me… Unnie is really kind… I'm not deserved with your love… I really thank you… And I will improve myself to be a better Bomi… I promise…"

 

" Unnie… I believe in fate… I believe we become close because of fate… I don't know what fate will do to my future so I can't say forever but I promise I will be with you as long as I can… I promise I will not make you sad anymore…"

 

" Please forgive this Pabo and come eat lunch with me… Pleasee Pleasee Pleaseeee… HeeHeeHee… I'll be waiting… Your Pabomi…"

 

Chorong nods although Bomi can't see her… She agree 100 times to this idea… Whatever… Bomi asks her to have lunch together at school… It is a positive sign…

 

The whole day, Chorong can't help but smile widely… Even her friends are now thinking her as a weirdo… But she just ignore them and so do they…

 

When the bell rings and the lunch break time has arrived, Chorong puts all her things into the bag quickly…

 

" Yah~ Park Chorong… Why are you in a rush? "

 

" Bomi said let's eat together…"

 

" Aigoooo… No medicine for you…"

 

" Whatever… Bye guys…"

 

Chorong said and she runs out from the class to find Bomi in the cafeteria… 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

xxx                                     xxx                                       xxx

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

" So you guys are ok now? "

 

" Yep… I think…"

 

" Immm… Good…"

 

" Yah! Jung Eunji… Only good?? I tried a lot…"

 

" Arasso… But you want her, right?? Keep this in mind… Don't make her angry again… I don't want to see you sitting like a dead body…"

 

" Shut up… I even wrote a letter and told her to eat lunch together with me…"

 

" Chincha! You should have told me earlier… She is about to come…"

 

" Umm? So?? "

 

" Yah! Pabo-ah… I'm going… Take alone time with her… Bye Bomi…"

 

" Yah! Eunji-ah… Jung Eunji! "

 

Before Bomi can pull her back, Eunji runs away from the cafeteria… Bomi pouts…

 

" What a good friend I have…"

 

" Noona! "

 

" Omo! "

 

" HeeHeeHee… Anneyeong! "

 

" Junior… How you- "

 

Bomi can't finish her question… The boy sits beside her…

 

" Noona… Why you didn't come to cafeteria??? I'm waiting for you… Plus you didn't give me your number…"

 

" Ummmm… I…… "

 

" It's ok… Now, you are here… I'm missing you to death…"

 

" Okay…"

 

Bomi uneasily said… Her eyes are scanning the whole place trying to search Chorong… She needs to kick this kid away… 

 

" Noona… Waeyo?? You seem - "

 

" Junior! "

 

" Nae? "

 

" I'm quite…"

 

* Ring Ring *

 

" Wait…"

 

Bomi checks her phone and she opens the text…

 

" From Rong unnie…

       Bomi-ah, sorry… I have to go to library… I'll be busy today… Let's meet at home… I'll be late… Don't wait for me…"

 

Bomi frowns… Why unnie has to cancel lunch break meeting?? It will take only a few minutes… Bomi sighs but she doesn't want to make Chorong feel sorry… So she replies…

 

" To Rong unnie…

         Nae, unnie… Don't worry about me… I'm with my friends… Do your best… Fighting unnie! "

 

" Who is it? "

 

Junior asks as he tries to peek her phone… Bomi quickly moves her phone away from him…

 

" Yah! You don't have to know…"

 

" But I want to know everything about you… Let me know, noona…"

 

" What?! "

 

" What if you will find someone and leave me behind? Aigoooo… Andwae… I can go crazy…"

 

" Aish… This kid… Shut up, will ya? I'm hungry already… Go buy lunch for us…"

 

" Yes sir! "

 

Junior jumps up from the seat and runs to buy lunch… Bomi can only shake her head in disbelief…

 

" Well, since Chorong unnie can't come and Eunji is not here, I will just eat with him…"

 

She think…

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

xxx                                    xxx                                    xxx

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan is driving back to his house where he alone lives… He has to stop at the traffic… He plays his fingers on the steering wheel…

 

" Ahh… Park Chorong… What is she doing? "

 

He thinks and puts the bluetooth earplug on… He dials to Chorong and has to wait a few seconds before she picks up…

 

" Hello…"

 

" Hello… Oppa… Where are you??? "

 

" Ummm… Chorong-ah… Are you drinking?? "

 

" Nae… A little…"

 

" Aish… This girl… Where are you?? "

 

Luhan feels worried for the girl… He checks the watch and it is showing 9pm… Aigoo… Why a beautiful girl is doing outside alone at this hour?

 

" I'll be there… Don't go anywhere…"

 

He said and hangs up turning the car to the left to go to Chorong… Lucky to him, the road is clear and he can get to the place where Chorong is drinking after a few minutes…

 

Luhan stops the car and comes out… He looks around and finds that Chorong is sitting alone on the stairs… He walks towards her and sits beside…

 

" Yah~ What are you doing? "

 

He asks while he is checking the empty cans of beer beside her… Chorong looks at him with hazy eyes…

 

" Awww… I wonder who you are… Annegaseyo Luhan oppa…"

 

" Yah Yah Yah… Be careful…"

 

She tries to stand up but loses balance… Luhan quickly catches her so that she will not fall off… 

 

" Yah! Park Chorong… What's wrong? "

 

He asks… She shakes her head and drinks the beer in her hand to empty…

 

" Oppa… I'm hurt…"

 

She whispers…

 

" I'm hurt, oppa… I… I… I don't know… But I can't bear this pain anymore…"

 

" Wae?? What's wrong?? "

 

" Oppa, have you ever fallen in love with someone? "

 

" What? "

 

" I… I can't help… But fall for her… Oppa, don't feel weird with me… Please… I… I'm in love with Bomi I think…"

 

" What! "

 

Luhan is so surprised to hear that… He first thinks like Chorong is joking but he takes it serious when he sees her face… She seems really down…

 

" Chorong-ah…"

 

" I tried… I tried to control myself… But I can't help oppa… I was straight before I have this crazy feelings… It comes when it is about her… I fell for her before I noticed… I know I was too wrong… But Oppa, I just -"

 

Chorong starts crying… Luhan stares at her silently… He thinks it is the best to listen to her for now…

 

" Bomi… She will never know how I feel about her… I know she will never see me as another girl… And I know she is straight… I know I have to lose her one day but I can't stop myself… I fell for her more and more day by day… I already forgive her already whatever she did to me, whenever she hurt me, whenever she wanna win over me… I thought I can stand till the last but whenever I have a feeling like she is going to leave me, I am hurt… I'm hurt a lot… My heart… It's bleeding…"

 

Chorong looks away… They can see the Seoul from here… The city is beautiful with night light… But her chest is arching so she can't even notice this scenery…

 

" I'm hurt everytime she ignored me… I'm hurt everytime she forgot about me… I'm hurt evertiime she doesn't reply to me… I'm hurt everytime she is with that boy… I'm hurt everytime I notice that I'll always be the second person to her… There is no place for me in her heart… It is hurt Oppa… It is too hurt to be in the second place…"

 

Chorong is talking without looking at him… Luhan sighs… He puts his hand on her shoulder and lightly pads…

 

" I know this feeling… I can understand you…"

 

" No, oppa… You will not… You will not understand this if you never fall in love…"

 

She said bitterly… 

 

" Even this beer is more way sweet than love… This is my first ever time of feeling love… But I think this story has ended before it can start…"

 

Chorong continues…

 

" I thought we will be okay when Bomi came and talked to me… She even asked me to have lunch together today… But when I went there, she was with that boy again… At that time, I feel like my world has crushed down into pieces… That boy… That boy… I hate him…"

 

Chorong cries harder and Luhan feels sorry for the girl… She looks so pitiful…

 

" I don't know where the mistake is… I just want to be with her… I just… I just… I'm scared of losing her one day…"

 

She sobs… In her thought, she imagines Bomi dating a boy, marries to him, having babies and making her own family… She is not included in this happy ending… For her future, she only sees raven dark… As a feeless person without joy or sadness… Just as a plain cold person…

 

" I have to blame on fate… I didn't believe in it before… But now, I realise I can't win over fate… I have to blame on fate that I'm a girl… I have to blame on fate that I can never confess that I'm in love with her… I have to blame on fate that I have to pretend like I don't care outside while dying inside… I have to blame on fate that allowed me to meet her… I have to blame on fate for making me suffering a lot…"

 

" Chorong-ah, why you can't just let go? "

 

" Let go?? If so, I can die, oppa… It's better for me to watch her everyday, take care of her everyday, stay by her side everyday no matter how hurt I am… I want it… I just think it as a destiny…"

 

" But now, you are suffering a lot…"

 

" Yeah… But what can I do, oppa? Everyone goes crazy when they meet love… I'm now crazy… I thought I can make my future by myself… That stupid me has already put her in my plans… How funny…"

 

She laughs lifelessly… Luhan is staring at her as he has never seen her before…

 

" You changed a lot, Chorong-ah… This is my very first time hearing about love from you… And it's too suprising…"

 

" Yeah… I don't understand myself either… I'm too smart I think… But I look like a fool these days… There are many boys beside her… How I can compete them??? How she will see me??? Whatever I tried just to make her happy goes in vein… I'm just a stupid stepsister for her… I'm playing a game that I know I will lose when it shows game over…"

 

" Yah Yah… Chorong-ah… Enough… You drank too much already…"

 

Chorong is about to open another can but Luhan quickly takes it away from her…

 

" Oppa-ah… I want to forget everything… I want to forget I'm in the second place for her… Just for tonight… Let me pass out…"

 

" Yah! "

 

Chorong slowly leans towards him and falls into his chest… He quickly catches her and finds that she has fallen asleep… He sighs…

 

" Chorong-ah, of course, I can understand you… I know very well how much it is hurt to be in the second place…"

 

He looks at the drunken sleeping beauty in his arms…

 

" Do you know why I have been a player for all these years?? Because I want to be with you… I know you are not interested in dating and always reject everyone… So, I pretend as a player and tries to be a close senior for you… Just to stay by your side…"

 

He caresses her hair gently…

 

" I came back to Korea just to meet you… But, you said you are in love… And unluckily, it is not me… Who can believe a guy like me has to lose a girl? And I also have to listen to you how much you love her… It's too hurt…"

 

He opens the beer in his hand and starts drinking…

 

" You are right, Chorong… It's always hurt to be in the second place… But we still want to grab on it no matter how hard it is for us… That will be our fate…"

 

He whispers…

 

Being in the second place in someone's life who means everything to you is …………